Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Happy Valentine's Day to all who are celebrating the occasion. For those who aren't, think of all the money you are saving on flowers, candy, and dinner! The festivities in the BlueTower kicked off with the gift of poop, as The Gunnar-man's diarrhea continues. He actually had an incident last night in our friends' house, which demonstrated how sudden his attacks are (and what good friends they are, since they were very nice about it). This is enough cause for concern to prompt a call to the vet today on its own, but this morning I awoke to find blood amidst the mess, which has, naturally, greatly escalated our alarm. I'm taking him off to the doctor ASAP, and any good thoughts you can send his way are appreciated.

Valentine Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Favourite player's injured? Get a refund. Thanks Slashdot.
Citing lack of demand, Airbus cancels A380 superjumbo aircraft.
Lost 80s Live Tour: Missing Persons, John Parr, Flock of Seagulls.
Science: Mars Rover's Opportunity mission has ended after 15 years.
Raw milk drinkers in 19 states at risk of rare, dangerous infectious disease. Louis Pasteur is rolling in his grave.
Media: Blind Date - Cyanide & Happiness Shorts.
This. We need more of this.… Thanks Kxmode.
Man enjoys unexpected slide down own icy path.
Follow-up: Parkland survivors reflect on a year of grief.
McShane Teases "Deadwood" Film Story.
The Funnies: Valentines Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2019, 12:48 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 15, 2019, 05:30:
1badmf wrote on Feb 15, 2019, 04:13:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 15, 2019, 00:38:
1badmf wrote on Feb 14, 2019, 22:31:
Creston wrote on Feb 14, 2019, 21:25:
Good luck on your doggie, Blue!

Also, rest well, Opportunity. You were an absolute marvel of engineering. Here's hoping this will come true.

i've always wondered why they've never built wipers onto the solar panels instead of crossing fingers and waiting for a strong gust of wind. they can't be that heavy, and they probably don't use very much power either.

When you're flinging something across a million miles of space, every gram cut counts. Also, Opportunity was expected to last six months, not 15 years, so we got so much more out of it than we ever expected. Given that short time frame (6 mos), it probably didn't make sense to add wipers.

i mean, that's true to an extent, but also every launch platform is rated for a certain amount of weight to a specific orbit. i highly doubt added ten or so pounds would change that much if at all since the package is probably not THAT close to rated launch limits to begin with.

Just saying, but if you have a dust covered panel on Mars or Moon, using your window wiper to dry clean it is a REALLY bad idea. That dust isn't dust as you know it, it's tiny rocks with extreme sharp edges. You'd have to carefully blow it off, and that's not a simple machine to build. If you compressed local atmosphere and somehow used that to blow, you'd then have to filter the dust out of the air... now you get dirty filters every few days. Now you have to clean your filters.... so yeah. Rocket science.

In the future, it's probably lighter and cheaper to coat the solar panels in Teflon or some other non-stick coating.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2019, 12:46 jdreyer

Also, rest well, Opportunity. You were an absolute marvel of engineering. Here's hoping this will come true.

i've always wondered why they've never built wipers onto the solar panels instead of crossing fingers and waiting for a strong gust of wind. they can't be that heavy, and they probably don't use very much power either.

When you're flinging something across a million miles of space, every gram cut counts. Also, Opportunity was expected to last six months, not 15 years, so we got so much more out of it than we ever expected. Given that short time frame (6 mos), it probably didn't make sense to add wipers.

i mean, that's true to an extent, but also every launch platform is rated for a certain amount of weight to a specific orbit. i highly doubt added ten or so pounds would change that much if at all since the package is probably not THAT close to rated launch limits to begin with.

Hmm, I guess. Also, there's a Walmart next to Olympus Mons so blade changes were a possibility I suppose.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2019, 05:30 eRe4s3r

Just saying, but if you have a dust covered panel on Mars or Moon, using your window wiper to dry clean it is a REALLY bad idea. That dust isn't dust as you know it, it's tiny rocks with extreme sharp edges. You'd have to carefully blow it off, and that's not a simple machine to build. If you compressed local atmosphere and somehow used that to blow, you'd then have to filter the dust out of the air... now you get dirty filters every few days. Now you have to clean your filters.... so yeah. Rocket science.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2019, 04:34 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2019, 18:17:
Raw milk drinkers in 19 states at risk of rare, dangerous infectious disease.

The Venn diagram containing both anti-vaxxers and raw milk drinkers is probably a circle.

It's the 10th circle of hell, to be precise.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2019, 04:13 1badmf

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2019, 00:38 jdreyer

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 22:31 1badmf

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 21:25 Creston

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 20:08 Mordecai Walfish

Cutter wrote on Feb 14, 2019, 12:14:
Hopefully it's nothing serious. Feel better Gunnar-man!

Lol @ Savage Chickens. They should make those candies. "Yeah, I'm done." Hahaha! It's like those demotivational posters, I love those things.

Got my Cthulu fish sticker for my car yesterday. So awesome! Wish the weather was warm enough so I could put it on. Love the idea of a Cthulu sticker on a hybrid. Now I just need to get the T-shirt.

Cthulu fish reminds me of my WTF mutated fish with eyeballs at the ends of it's antennae

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 19:47 SunnyD

"Eighties One-Hit Wonders Unite For Lost 80’s Live Tour" -article title

Ok, only sorta dating myself, but as I recall the times and just off the top of my head..

Missing Persons : Nobody Walks In L.A. -- What Are Words For
John Parr : Naughty, Naughty -- St. Elmo's Fire
Flock of Seagulls: I Ran -- Space Age Love Song

doesn't that make them all at least Two Hit Wonders..?

~Finis~

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 18:20 jdreyer

Lost 80s Live Tour: Missing Persons, John Parr, Flock of Seagulls.

Don't go. Run, run so far away.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 18:17 jdreyer

Raw milk drinkers in 19 states at risk of rare, dangerous infectious disease.

The Venn diagram containing both anti-vaxxers and raw milk drinkers is probably a circle.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 17:01 jdreyer

Gah! Get better soon, Gunnar man!  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 15:30 MoreLuckThanSkill

Holy shit, Parkland and Las Vegas shootings were only last year? Ugh, it felt like it has been a longer time, for some reason. That's depressing.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 12:44 Deathbishop

Speaking as someone who has a dog that had frequent diarrhea, the blood in it may not be as serious as it appears. Basically as a dog (and even humans) goes a lot and strains, it causes the lining inside to rupture and cause bleeding. Still need to get it checked out though to make sure it's not anything more serious.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 12:14 Cutter

Hopefully it's nothing serious. Feel better Gunnar-man!

Lol @ Savage Chickens. They should make those candies. "Yeah, I'm done." Hahaha! It's like those demotivational posters, I love those things.

Got my Cthulu fish sticker for my car yesterday. So awesome! Wish the weather was warm enough so I could put it on. Love the idea of a Cthulu sticker on a hybrid. Now I just need to get the T-shirt.

“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” - Will Rogers

2. Re: McShane Teases... Feb 14, 2019, 10:37 Killer Kane

Bless you....COCKSUCKER!  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2019, 10:22 RedEye9

Here's to a speedy recovery of your pup.

R.I.P. Opportunity, you made it to the ripe ole age of 83.
rover

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo