Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year

Activision Blizzard Announces Fourth-Quarter and 2018 Financial Results. Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick calls these the best in company history, as a way of leading into a confirmation of the rumor they plan on celebrating with layoffs and a restructuring: "While our financial results for 2018 were the best in our history, we didn’t realize our full potential," he explains. "To help us reach our full potential, we have made a number of important leadership changes. These changes should enable us to achieve the many opportunities our industry affords us, especially with our powerful owned franchises, our strong commercial capabilities, our direct digital connections to hundreds of millions of players, and our extraordinarily talented employees." Kotaku has details from the earnings conference call, where Kotick clarifies that office staff is being cut (they place the number of jobs loss at about 800), but they are adding developers. Word is: "The company said it would be cutting mainly non-game-development departments and bolstering its development staff for franchises like Call of Duty and Diablo." Despite the name-check of Diablo, USgamer has another detail from the call, saying there will be "no major frontline release for Blizzard in 2019." Word is they will be concentrating on their already released games. One more tidbit from the conference call comes from Charlie INTEL, where they confirm the unexpected news to expect a new Call of Duty game from Infinity Ward this year. Word is this game will be "rooted in franchise history" and will feature "huge" multiplayer and a co-op mode.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 19:10 Mr. Tact

Jivaro wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 20:26:
When you have the best year in company history and you still layoff people...I mean...why stay if you have any other options? Obviously you and the entire company could do everything right and still get shown the door by someone who is making millions to your thousands.
The problem is most of corporate America is like this now. There are exceptions, but they are not common. I was laid off from a multi-national, multi-billion dollar revenue, technology company (not a gaming company) and when it happened they said they were going to concentrate on X. Which should have meant my office would need to hire more people to accomplish X. Instead, I was laid off, along with another 9 people from my group leaving only two (the group's manager and someone they hired a few months prior). The left over work was transferred overseas.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 16:08 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 13, 2019, 08:48:
Just remember - your CEO works for your shareholders, not you. Unless he's some superstar that likely founded the company, he doesn't have the clout to stop shit like this. And he probably doesn't want to, because defending employees is a good way to get fired. Our entire system is run by people that have enormous power but have never been inside the company itself and, increasingly, by algorithms. It's fucked.

Time for a revolution! VIVA!

21. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 16:05 Riahderymnmaddog

Sales would have been better if the Social Justice Warriors didn't make Soldier 76 ghay just to shove their lifestyle down my throat. GET WOKE GO BROKE!!!!

ohhh wait best quarter ever? wrong thread.

20. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 15:34 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Feb 13, 2019, 15:23:
That's where "the market" is worse than any tick: when a tick got its share of blood, it simply leaves its host. "The market" will suck the last drop of blood, killing its host and then selling of the host's organs, bones, meat.

Market tick
Blood tick
KoTick

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 15:23 El Pit

And after firing 800 and having a huge next quarter (before collapsing because all talent got fired and ActiBlizz got nobody useful to work on new games), the shareholders will still put them under pressure to fire MORE people to get MORE money. Which means: getting more money next quarter will just make the shareholder lust for even more money the quarter after this. It's a race the company just can't win.

That's where "the market" is worse than any tick: when a tick got its share of blood, it simply leaves its host. "The market" will suck the last drop of blood, killing its host and then selling of the host's organs, bones, meat.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

18. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 14:39 Kxmode

"Despite the name-check of Diablo, USgamer has another detail from the call, saying there will be "no major frontline release for Blizzard in 2019." Word is they will be concentrating on their already released games."

What does that mean for WOW Classic and Warcraft 3 Reforged? Is WC3R not considered a "major frontline" release (whatever that means)?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 09:22 Prez

Beamer wrote on Feb 13, 2019, 08:48:
Have you guys looked at video game stocks?

A year ago, Activision was a fairly steady mid-70s stock. It actually peaked in October, when it hit just under 85. Before this announcement, it was 40. That's over a 50% drop in the value of the company, which has serious impact on its own abilities to pay its debt, or avoid being taken over.

After this announcement, the stock came up to nearly 44. It increased the stock price 10%. That's why this happened. Because Wall Street is really bashing games companies right now and Kotick is doing what he needs to do to appease shareholders.

Look at Take Two - RDR2 is one of the best selling games of all time, and due to it, TTWO had a great Q4. The stock plummeted after they announced that, though, because investors think they can't sustain it. So even though their Q4 was excellent, the stock fell about 25% in the day of the earnings report. They were about 140 in October, are under 90 now. The entire market is having an excellent 2019, but games stocks are being pummeled. Only EA has managed to make people happy, and while it fell drastically in Q4, it's on a pretty huge February upswing.

Just remember - your CEO works for your shareholders, not you. Unless he's some superstar that likely founded the company, he doesn't have the clout to stop shit like this. And he probably doesn't want to, because defending employees is a good way to get fired. Our entire system is run by people that have enormous power but have never been inside the company itself and, increasingly, by algorithms. It's fucked.

All this is true but the issue I have is that this is essentially a rod that AAA publishers made for their own backs through unchecked greed and painful short-sightednesss. Yes, a CEO answers to investors, but ask yourself WHY the investors of Activision, or EA, or Take 2 are unhappy and jumping ship, instigating large stock price dips when all 3 companies had utterly ridiculous revenues in 2018. An investor cares about 2 things - revenue and growth. The revenue is covered obviously by mictrotransacrions and other monetization strategies being far more aggressively implemented in every facet of gaming than ever before. But growth? In their greed and shortsightedness publishers have created utterly unsustainable degrees of revenue acquisitions, to the point that the latest Black Ops game sold $500,000,000 worth in 3 days and has been aggressively and successfully monetized out the wazoo and is still considered a disappointment. Because the growth, the ludicrous, unsustainable growth from previous generations isn't there. This is not the fault of the hundreds of people about to lose their jobs - it's the fault of the moron who put short term gains ahead of long term sustainability.

Thanks to FIFA's predatory gambling mechanics, and GTA 5 being monetized to the largest player base ever seen, EA and Take 2 have made inconceivable short term gains. With zero chance of sustaining even a fraction of that over the long term. Thus their investors are all throwing their tantrums as well. Frankly, even the layoffs are are a very short term fix for an unfixable long term problem. Is Activision going to lay off hundreds of employees every quarter to keep the currently sated investors satisfied? It's ludicrous.

So fuck CEOs and fuck their bottom line. I'm not required to give one single solitary shit about whether poor Bobby is going to have start wearing tissue boxes on his feet rather than shoes. But basic human decency does suggest I care about the people being put out on their asses because of these greedy clueless fuckwits at the top.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 08:48 Beamer

Have you guys looked at video game stocks?

A year ago, Activision was a fairly steady mid-70s stock. It actually peaked in October, when it hit just under 85. Before this announcement, it was 40. That's over a 50% drop in the value of the company, which has serious impact on its own abilities to pay its debt, or avoid being taken over.

After this announcement, the stock came up to nearly 44. It increased the stock price 10%. That's why this happened. Because Wall Street is really bashing games companies right now and Kotick is doing what he needs to do to appease shareholders.

Look at Take Two - RDR2 is one of the best selling games of all time, and due to it, TTWO had a great Q4. The stock plummeted after they announced that, though, because investors think they can't sustain it. So even though their Q4 was excellent, the stock fell about 25% in the day of the earnings report. They were about 140 in October, are under 90 now. The entire market is having an excellent 2019, but games stocks are being pummeled. Only EA has managed to make people happy, and while it fell drastically in Q4, it's on a pretty huge February upswing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 08:29 Prez

Kxmode wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 23:43:
"Hello everyone! I'm sad to report that my lack of
vision and leadership in knowing what customers want
coupled with continual touching of Blizzard in a
creepy way has led to a drop in shareholder value.
The good news is we've firing about 2,000 people
to cover your losses. Fixed it!" - Bobby Kotick

Okay Blizzard, show us on the doll where Bobby Kotick touched you...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 08:24 VaranDragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIfqsWdYBaw

Hhahahahah

13. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 03:38 VaranDragon

Yeah Activision shares dropped a whopping 2%! 2%!!!!!!! OH NO, will someone think of the poor investors? If they don't fire a few hundred people real quick those poor, poor yuppies will end up in the poor house.

/s

12. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 02:33 Luke

Ha ...well maybe wallstreet boys believe ya......  

11. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 13, 2019, 00:46 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 22:42:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 21:08:
Best quarter ever! Let's celebrate by laying off people while I snort this bag of cocaine of this investors cock! Woooooo!

LOL.

Meanwhile, Kodick pulls in almost $30M

So take those jobs and average them out at anywhere from 50k - 100k and that's between 300-600 people fired so Nobby Nodick can get his. They'd have far better value keeping them and getting rid of him. Exec pay is just fucking stupid and has zero basis in reality.

“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” - Will Rogers

10. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 12, 2019, 23:43 Kxmode

"Hello everyone! I'm sad to report that my lack of
vision and leadership in knowing what customers want
coupled with continual touching of Blizzard in a
creepy way has led to a drop in shareholder value.
The good news is we've firing about 2,000 people
to cover your losses. Fixed it!" - Bobby Kotick

9. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 12, 2019, 23:16 Prez

Fuck this guy and every bloodsucking corporate suit like him.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 12, 2019, 22:57 RedEye9

Best quarter ever! Let's celebrate by laying off people while I snort this bag of cocaine of this investors cock! Woooooo!
https://youtu.be/W9xDwARZ0M0

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

7. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 12, 2019, 22:42 jdreyer

LOL.

Meanwhile, Kodick pulls in almost $30M

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

6. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 12, 2019, 22:18 Kxmode

The good news is CD Projekt Red is hiring a lot of positions for Cyberpunk 2077.  

5. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 12, 2019, 22:01 HorrorScope

Jivaro wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 20:26:
When you have the best year in company history and you still layoff people...I mean...why stay if you have any other options? Obviously you and the entire company could do everything right and still get shown the door by someone who is making millions to your thousands.

People should have been given bonuses if the system was working how it should, fucking shame.

4. Re: Activision Results & Layoffs; New CoD This Year Feb 12, 2019, 21:58 jacobvandy

"The company said it would be cutting mainly non-game-development departments and bolstering its development staff for franchises like Call of Duty and Diablo."

So what were these upward of 800 jobs that were not related to game development and deemed unnecessary enough to eliminate despite record earnings?

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo