Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week

A Week One Recap from Vince Zampella updates us on the state of Apex Legends one week out from the launch of Respawn's free-to-play battle royale game. Word is the game has now attracted 25 million players and counting: "We’re also thrilled to announce that since last Monday, more than 25 million players have jumped into the game, and over the weekend we had well over 2 million concurrent players at our peak," explains the Respawn boss. "Like I said earlier, what a week!" Apparently this success is even having a halo effect on Titanfall 2 (or at least a destiny effect). Vince also fills us in on more of their future plans:

• First up, the Twitch Rivals Apex Legends Challenge. Sponsored by our friends at Twitch, the Rivals Apex Legends Challenge will take place this Tuesday the 12th and next Tuesday the 19th, with 48 of the biggest streamers on Twitch competing live in Apex Legends. We’ll be co-streaming all the action from our Apex Legends Twitch channel here: www.twitch.tv/playapex.
  • Then, later this week we’ll be celebrating Valentine’s Day by introducing some limited-time Valentine’s Day themed loot, so all you (Apex Legends) lovers out there keep your eyes open.
  • Don’t forget, Season One kicks off in March, introducing the debut of our Battle Pass as well as new Legends, weapons, loot, and more.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 13, 2019, 00:57 jdreyer

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 13:05:
And Chinese trojans.

Chinese don't use Trojans. That's why they are 1.2B people.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 23:36 Muscular Beaver

Well, I am over 40 and my eyes still work fine. They need more training in games like these than 20 year old eyes, but I can still keep up very well. I havent seen people jump around like in Fortnite, because it simply makes you a very easy target. Sliding is also a double edged sword, but at least it makes the gameplay more fluid and quicker. Sliding behind that rock into cover, while a bullet passes right over your head, is an epic feeling.
Apex is much more about tactics than PUBG and Fortnite ever were. In PUBG you get pinned down all the time and the RNG decides if you win or lose on open ground.
In Fortnite tactics are all about building faster than your opponents. Apex is much more sophisticated. You have to learn how the classes work together and the many uses of different items in game, and once you do, you pull stuff that is just amazing.
Youre basically saying that the sky is not blue.

So on one hand you complain about dumbing down, but then you say Fortnites extremely dumbed down inventory is superior (which also is limited, btw)?
Nope, sorry. The addons are great. The inventory space is done well enough, else people would be able to stash too many grenades, healing and ammo. You can upgrade it anyway.
Looting is much more efficient in this game. In PUBG its tedious, because its slow because of the delays and you have to point exactly at what you want and even then sometimes you wont pick it up. Same thing in Fortnite. Even pros like Ninja often miss picking something up, even though they intended to. Never happened to me and I dont see it happening to others either.

Ive not seen many campers in about 300 games I watched and played. If there is one, he is alone and youre most likely not. He might be able to down one of you, but then he is fucked. And thats the sole reason why really nobody does it. It doesnt give any advantage, unless in the very end of the game, and then everyone expects it anyway. Also the very well done audio system makes you notice campers much better than in other games.

BR games can be very frustrating because they take a long time and then you die and gain nothing. This game is short and makes lost matches much more endurable. You dont feel exhausted quickly, like with other BRs.

The texture quality is a semi-cartoon style. Thats the reason.
If youre having trouble spotting enemies in Apex, and complain about your eyes otherwise as well, you might need to get that checked out or accept that competitive gaming isnt your thing anymore.

Oh yeah, and another thing that is great in this game: Headshots are very hard to do. It makes the game much more enjoyable for everyone because of that and real pros can still try to pull it off.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2019, 23:47.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

36. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 16:54 Osc8r

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 23:17:
Osc8r wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 22:50:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 22:25:
A true evolution from other BR games. However there is still space to improve, especially in the loot/inventory aspect. Its obvious it was made for consoles.

Evolution how exactly? It feels and plays like your run of the mill COD port. Much smaller map than other BR games, smaller population cap, bland colors, average visuals, below average gun play, terrible ui and looting system, forced teams of 3, classes seem interesting but have little impact in the majority of encounters...

What am i missing? Seems like Blackout with a different limited time mode, and that game was hardly considered an evolution by any stretch...

Maybe i'm just getting old.

It plays much more fluid and faster than other BRs.

Faster doesn't mean better. In my old timer eyes it's actually worse, because it's all about twitch and aim, less about thought and tactics. There's also nothing realistic about people bunny hopping and sliding around at 100mph.

Looting is heavily optimized and requires less attention, which is good, because nothing is worse than getting shot in the ass while rummaging around in a corpse or your inventory. However, as I said, theres still space for improvements. For example holding a button to exchange your weapon for one laying on the ground is typical console BS. A PC keyboard has enough keys to have a separate one for that.

Completely Disagree. The looting system is utter trash and doesn't fit the pace of the game. Fortnite is by far easier to handle, no stuffing around with weapons that look almost identical to the next one... no stuffing around with attachment or mods, or dealing with limited inventory space, backpacks, finding spots for different types of ammo, grenades, abilities, mods and all that other BS.

Map is smaller because there are fewer people. I see no issue there. Yet you dont really have to deal with campers. And that is awesome. Even after the game has been running for a while, you will still find places that havent been looted. Totally untypical for a BR game.
Matches are only about 15 mins because of less players and smaller map, which is great as well.

I've seen plenty of campers already, especially with people who use the grappling hook to get on-top of un-climbable cliffs and the like.

Shorter matches isn't a positive to some people, nor is less people. In my eyes it just makes the win easier and less rewarding. Reducing player count isn't an evolution, it's regression.

Also love how you have 2 chances to revive your team mates. That removes a lot of frustration.
No issues with a team of 3. It seems the game was made around that, due to its classes.

Giving people less choices, and forcing teams of 3 down everyone's
throat is also the opposite of evolution in my eyes.

I definitely agree with you on the 2 revives though, that's the best part of the game IMO.

The visuals arent that great (the view distance is), but at least the FPS are high and the contrast is high, which makes spotting enemies easier than in a game overdone with detail where your biggest problem is spotting the enemy and you get shot in the back all the time.

I also disagree here. Spotting people in this game is a royal pain in the ass, primarily due to the texture quality being fairly low and all the bland environmental colours blending in with the bland player outfits, not to mention people jumping and running around everywhere on speed...

Oh yeah, and the game is extremely well polished. Even the balance is very good right from the start with only minor things needing some tweaking.

I'm my eyes there's a few things that this game does well:
- Banner team revival is AWESOME. I love this feature.
- Allowing people to launch and land together
- Allowing easy callouts using one button, especially for gear. Not sure if it's a good thing allowing enemy callouts, kinda dumbs down things a little though...
- Polish

Other than that it may as well be a new map for Blackout.

/shrug

35. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 16:36 Muscular Beaver

Sepharo wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 15:48:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 12:24:
Task wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 09:11:
Its pretty entertaining to watch that's for sure. Its fun watching Dr Disrespect play this.

You guys really find him entertaining?
Every time I watch him hes just silent all game long or complains about stream snipers and how bad the game is he plays.
No idea what people find about him. Even Ninja is more entertaining, since you can actually hate him. But DrDisrespect is just boring to watch, even if hes owning everyone. All the really good players are pretty much boring to watch, because they dont show much personality. They think their gaming skills are good enough. Bleh. I rather watch someone not so good, with a few dozen viewers and who shows actual personality and you can laugh and cry with him.

You're sure you're not confusing Shroud and DrDisrespect?
DrDisrespect doesn't "own" much but is very loud and plays a character, he's ALL entertainment... Shroud is the one that sits silently and owns.
I dont like Shroud for the same reasons.
As I said, every time I dare to watch DrDisrespect hes just silent all the time and only ticks out when he suspects stream snipers and flames about bugs and bad balance. Oh yeah, and sometimes he plays some stupid clips.
Thats a character play? Because he wears a wig while doing it? Sorry, but other streamers do that MUCH MUCH better, so that its actually funny and makes some kind of sense and not seem like the typical 13 year old gamer. Or maybe I am spoiled from Youtubers like Delirious.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

34. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 15:48 Sepharo

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 12:24:
Its pretty entertaining to watch that's for sure. Its fun watching Dr Disrespect play this.

Every time I watch him hes just silent all game long or complains about stream snipers and how bad the game is he plays.
No idea what people find about him. Even Ninja is more entertaining, since you can actually hate him. But DrDisrespect is just boring to watch, even if hes owning everyone. All the really good players are pretty much boring to watch, because they dont show much personality. They think their gaming skills are good enough. Bleh. I rather watch someone not so good, with a few dozen viewers and who shows actual personality and you can laugh and cry with him.

You're sure you're not confusing Shroud and DrDisrespect?
DrDisrespect doesn't "own" much but is very loud and plays a character, he's ALL entertainment... Shroud is the one that sits silently and owns.

33. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 15:45 Sepharo

Retired wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 12:43:
Pass. I watched some Twitch and wasn't impressed at all. I don't really want to play a game that shooting at someone and killing them requires hitting all of your shots, plus a reload, and half of the next magazine.

I definitely know what you mean. But at least the healing takes a decent bit of time unlike Blackout. You/your opponent really need to run away from the fight to heal and need to be gone for quite a while to full heal. None of this mid-fight healing like Blackout. Also there are definitely weapons that make the fights not necessarily need a reload. Upgraded R-301's, Wingmans (don't even need upgrading), hard hitting shotguns... you could win a fight, even with a few misses, against an armored opponent without necessarily needing to reload. In terms of gun fights I think it's a good middle ground between Blackout and PUBG.

32. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 13:05 Muscular Beaver

Retired wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 12:43:
Pass. I watched some Twitch and wasn't impressed at all. I don't really want to play a game that shooting at someone and killing them requires hitting all of your shots, plus a reload, and half of the next magazine.

Same reason I quit Blackout. The armour was way OP. Needs a HC mode.

Only BR I play now is Ring of Elysium. People that enjoy BRs are missing out if they aren't playing it.

BMX bikes, grapple hooks, and hang gliders.
And Chinese trojans.

31. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 12:43 Retired

Same reason I quit Blackout. The armour was way OP. Needs a HC mode.

Only BR I play now is Ring of Elysium. People that enjoy BRs are missing out if they aren't playing it.

BMX bikes, grapple hooks, and hang gliders.

30. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 12:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ah, all according to EA's plan. The streamers are playing their game, so now the dumbass kids with their parents' credit cards and adult whales will be spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on cosmetics.

In a less shitty world, at least some of that money would be going to fund good games, unfortunately it'll get pumped into marketing for Apex Legends or towards the next BR/DoTA/Whatever flavor of the month money harvesting device.

29. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 12:24 Muscular Beaver

28. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 11:01 Task

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 10:02:

He's so terrible at it though. He is getting better at it, but he is miles and away the worst player in his "regular" squad.

Shroud on the other hand is like a god in this game, more so than in PUBG or Blackout, if that is even possible.

I wasn't familiar with shroud but I looked them up. I guess the thing with recently watching Beahm's "Disrespect" character and commentary I find is more entertaining to me than watching Shroud stare at their monitor. I'm a fan of wrestling like Ring of Honor, or New Japan, and the Disrespect is like a wrestling character for twitch.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

27. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 10:06 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 07:08:
Drayth wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 23:03:
Everyone here's so great at not enjoying stuff. It's like an art form. Keep at it everyone!

For some reason, new things are a threat to so many, rather than something to be enjoyed or ignored.

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

26. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 10:02 VaranDragon

He's so terrible at it though. He is getting better at it, but he is miles and away the worst player in his "regular" squad.

Shroud on the other hand is like a god in this game, more so than in PUBG or Blackout, if that is even possible.

25. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 09:18 Steele Johnson

Everyone here's so great at not enjoying stuff. It's like an art form. Keep at it everyone!

Maybe some people are just astonished at the number of people who are entertained by watching paint dry. A bit of exaggeration, but pretty close lol

24. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 09:11 Task

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

23. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 07:08 Beamer

For some reason, new things are a threat to so many, rather than something to be enjoyed or ignored.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 01:40 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2019:
Questions for people playing:

1) Are people using aimbots yet?

2) What's the population demographic? Mostly North American? European? Asian?

1. Not that I've seen

2. I connect to North American servers and I'm matched with North Americans (when they're using the mic). But with the spotting system you don't really need to use the mic. In fact the games I've won have been mostly silent affairs. Seems to be a correlation between proper spotting (enemies, items, and next exploration direction) and winning.

21. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 00:42 jdreyer

Questions for people playing:

1) Are people using aimbots yet?

2) What's the population demographic? Mostly North American? European? Asian?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

20. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 12, 2019, 00:35 jdreyer

A true evolution from other BR games. However there is still space to improve, especially in the loot/inventory aspect by adding mechs. Its obvious it was made for consoles.

I tweaked your statement a bit.

19. Re: Apex Legends Passes 25M Users in a Week Feb 11, 2019, 23:17 Muscular Beaver

Osc8r wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 22:50:
A true evolution from other BR games. However there is still space to improve, especially in the loot/inventory aspect. Its obvious it was made for consoles.

Evolution how exactly? It feels and plays like your run of the mill COD port. Much smaller map than other BR games, smaller population cap, bland colors, average visuals, below average gun play, terrible ui and looting system, forced teams of 3, classes seem interesting but have little impact in the majority of encounters...

What am i missing? Seems like Blackout with a different limited time mode, and that game was hardly considered an evolution by any stretch...

Maybe i'm just getting old.

It plays much more fluid and faster than other BRs.
Looting is heavily optimized and requires less attention, which is good, because nothing is worse than getting shot in the ass while rummaging around in a corpse or your inventory. However, as I said, theres still space for improvements. For example holding a button to exchange your weapon for one laying on the ground is typical console BS. A PC keyboard has enough keys to have a separate one for that.

Map is smaller because there are fewer people. I see no issue there. Yet you dont really have to deal with campers. And that is awesome. Even after the game has been running for a while, you will still find places that havent been looted. Totally untypical for a BR game.
Matches are only about 15 mins because of less players and smaller map, which is great as well.

Gun play is different (depending on the weapon), but nothing you cant master after a while. Love the different grenades and special skills. Requires quite a lot of thinking ahead and lots of other tactical thinking, yet doesnt overwhelm you as a newbie.
Also love how you have 2 chances to revive your team mates. That removes a lot of frustration.
No issues with a team of 3. It seems the game was made around that, due to its classes.

The visuals arent that great (the view distance is), but at least the FPS are high and the contrast is high, which makes spotting enemies easier than in a game overdone with detail where your biggest problem is spotting the enemy and you get shot in the back all the time.

Oh yeah, and the game is extremely well polished. Even the balance is very good right from the start with only minor things needing some tweaking.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo