Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed

A clip from a developer Twitch stream confirms plans for an open beta test for The Division 2 (thanks u/TiniestBuckle via VG247). This was not previously announced, despite the casual way fixing something for the open beta is mentioned. The original The Division had an open beta, so it's not shocking the sequel is following the same route. The release of the open world action/RPG sequel is planned for March 15th, so this should happen sometime fairly soon.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 12, 2019, 19:16 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 15:25:
Better all-time in FPS would be F.E.A.R.

I've played D1 and Fear complete, now Fear was quite good for the time certainly, like Half Life when the commandos came in. D1 though is better and I'd say much better than both. Now not all fights and scenarios are equal, but tit for tat, D1 is better, but it does give you flash backs to Fear and how cover, flanking should work. Like watch the Rage 2 video... the AI just stands in the open, shit. I'd rather have the discussion with someone that has played D1 all the way through that really knows and who then thinks it's nothing special compared to the average AI we are given. Otherwise I'm talking to someone who's seen a few things, played a little bit and never really seen it all.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2019, 19:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 12, 2019, 15:51 Beamer

FEAR had some interesting scripting, like flipping the tables over, but other than that it wasn't all that smart.

I tried to go back to FEAR in 2017. It was a hassle to find it available online, and I think I ultimately paid $10 for it, which kind of pissed me off. Then I played it again. It's awful. I mean, really, really bad. So much worse than I remembered. The plot is dumb, and the atmosphere is non-existent. You can argue that's the point, but there's just nothing there. The control is terrible. And the AI just isn't really all that smart, because you tend to kill guys before they can do much intelligent. If you don't, they're still not doing much to cheer about.

AI just isn't usually a great place to invest for action games because a baddie rarely lives long enough to make it worthwhile.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 12, 2019, 15:25 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 12, 2019, 13:37:
Yeah certainly you can pick apart AI but I can also pick apart a human player. How I look at it and it was over the entirety of D1, there was some very good AI in several parts, esp higher levels and good AI overall for what the standard of gaming is today, along with matching banter between the baddies talking it through. Who's doing it better? If you don't like this do you simply not like PvE FPS? Or name something better all-time and then something better recent.

Better all-time in FPS would be F.E.A.R.

Better recent is non-existent because AI has been neglected in favor of multiplayer focus for years and years now. It's always the same braindead crap (especially stuff like the AI staying in cover depending on where you aim which is such a lame ol' gimmick).

I have not played the first Division enough for a direct comparison. All I can say is that the AI in the private beta of TD2 was mostly crap and I finished all of the side and the main missions in the private beta for a somewhat decent sample size.

All I'm saying is that I can not possibly share the enthusiasm for an above average AI. The AI in the beta is about as average as it gets and like most modern games needs a lot of work.

Every encounter in the demo was extremely similar to another with always the same enemy types and AI behaviors. That doesn't mean that the game does not pose a challenge by the way. It does. It is even a little unfair at times when one of those grenade launcher guys lobs 'nades at you every two seconds or some dude shoots you in the head with a submachine gun from 200 meters.

The AI is still mediocre because every encounter is always the same. And the armored (mini) bosses are almost the easiest to kill because they are so slow and so dumb. You just have to avoid getting hit because they hit hard but it's easy to run circles around them as I said.

So, unless they are holding back their best AI scripts for the full game then I don't see how this deserves any special accolades. It doesn't deserve to be trashed either. The AI in most games is crap. Therefore crappy AI is average and TD2 beta fits right in. It's nothing special at all. Same old...

18. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 12, 2019, 13:37 HorrorScope

Yeah certainly you can pick apart AI but I can also pick apart a human player. How I look at it and it was over the entirety of D1, there was some very good AI in several parts, esp higher levels and good AI overall for what the standard of gaming is today, along with matching banter between the baddies talking it through. Who's doing it better? If you don't like this do you simply not like PvE FPS? Or name something better all-time and then something better recent.  

17. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 12, 2019, 12:51 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 20:35:
Reading and talking about bad AI, if anything this has one of the best AI's in the PvE FPS business, well at least the patched of D1 did, I like to think they didn't go backwards.

I'm not sure if the AI cares wot u think Wink .

I was thoroughly unimpressed by the AI in the beta. Just a few examples off the top of my head:

- They are copiously using the lame old AI trick where the AI will ~90% of the time stay in cover as long as you keep aiming at their hiding spot. As soon as you look away they will pop up so once you have figured out this mechanic they become easy prey. You just look to one side a little, headshot, shoot at next enemy, look to the side, headshot, rinse, repeat...

- The armored bosses are super-slow and if you are in a room with a solid object like a column or something then you can literally run circles around the guy because you can easily confuse the AI as it can't decide whether to come at you clockwise or counter-clockwise. You can easily strafe around the column alternating between sides and kill the dumb, slow AI boss without even getting hit.

- Sometimes AI tries to flank you and is apparently programmed to reach its waypoint, no matter what. This leads to funny situations where an enemy will run past you, ignoring you completely while you can easily shoot them in the back.
Granted though... other times flanking works fine and the AI sometimes even does a pretty good job at it.

- The AI is a little too superhuman. If you kill a guy with a sniper rifle from a couple hundred meters distance then it's a little strange that you get hit by submachine gun fire from his buddies less than a second later. The AI instantly knows exactly where you are and their aim is nearly impeccable.
The long distance kill will sometimes also instantly trigger enemies from nearby alleyways who did not even have a line of sight to you or the kill when it happened. You could maybe explain this with the bad guys reporting a kill over radio (in less than two seconds?) but how would the enemy instantly know your position or that it was you who fired a gun and not one of them? I mean the whole city is a combat zone with constant fighting...

Nah. The AI is pretty bad and it is using the same, tired old tricks and "tactics" that you can easily figure out and exploit. It's not as dumb, simple and suicidal as DOOM monsters, of course, but it also does not stand out in a positive way.
It's just as mediocre as every other modern FPS. If there is one area where modern games need massive improvements it remains AI and TD2 is certainly no exception to that rule.

16. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 12, 2019, 12:44 MoreLuckThanSkill

Acleacius wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 18:18:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 12:12:
Meh, by the time I bought the first game on sale, it was pretty fun coop. No need to support buggy software day one.

The first game WAS good eventually, Acleacius, but admittedly I got into it like a year or so after release.
Gtk, just saw it on sale for $5. The reviews show it as a 6/10 game that is forced online ubi servers. Is the story any good and can you actually play the complete game solo offline?

The last ubi game I played Far Cry 3, stealth installed spyware punkbuster, just to to play single player offline. It was a huge pain to remove after realizing it had been installed without permission. I had to download a special tool from the creeps at punkbuster. Their software was so incompetently made it wouldn't uninstall. Flamethrower

I actually thought the story wasn't bad, if not really plausible in any way. It's not a realistic game, and yes, it is always online. If that's going to steer you away, then yes, stay away from this series, it's online only.

15. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 12, 2019, 00:39 Steele Johnson

I bought the first one on a sale and really enjoyed playing the campaign with my friend. It was a pretty good co-op game. I liked the way the guns felt and the combat in general. Its not something Id play through a second time, so Im really looking forward to this new one. Im still on the fence buying it full price. Might hold out a while for a sale.  

14. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 20:35 HorrorScope

FloorPie wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 16:51:
Meh. I like Mack's reviews and he's not wrong on the bugs but I had to stop watching his stream of it when they were running a mission. They were not playing it as a cover shooter and mostly face tanking while bitching about bullet sponges.

Yes to all of that, you have to understand what it is and how to play it. Now I didn't do this demo, I'll buy this game when it hits $40, that should be patched up nicely by then, I don't need to know what it is.

Reading and talking about bad AI, if anything this has one of the best AI's in the PvE FPS business, well at least the patched of D1 did, I like to think they didn't go backwards. I played D1, got it for like $12, all patched up, really surprised how much I liked it. It is samey, but then again the real world is samey, but the gunplay/AI really could standout and the missions were voiced while playing them, so it wasn't an x of x'er, was very smooth in delivery I felt.

The AI really came alive on the higher tier difficulties and I really saw Fear AI on steroids several times. To me that is gameplay and that is what trumps the rest. This place isn't a huge competitive PvP crowd I feel, but I think good gun fights are welcome here from PvE, D1 had some of the best in recent memory. I do hope they add a few more gameplay variants to the main game, those are the types of things they should be expanding on in a follow up.

And back to Mack and I know I repeat myself, a lot of online game reviewers really suck at playing games and this comes from a guy that feels he's average at best. I think they just spend a little time and don't really care to learn as they know they'll be on to the next thing in a day or two as that's where their moneys at and that is what matter to them.

Recent Pve Coop games I've played and put many hours into each and liked them all: Destiny, Shadow Warrior 2, Strange Brigade, Far Cry 5, The Division, Wildlands, Elder Scrolls Online. The Division, we as the group that played together felt it was the best overall due to gunplay/AI.

Here is a pretty good explanation:

I think there's an inherent unnatural situation going on with the division that people can't get over, and I don't know that it's ever been addresses. The game looks realistic. It's even photorealistic at points. The characters are all people that move realistically and speak realistically. No one is jumping whole skyscrapers or throwing things through walls. The guns are guns from reality and are well documented on their effectiveness against humans. In the military they teach double taps to the chest and then a finisher to the head, meaning you will kill someone in 3 shots if you're competent. The story itself is plausible within our reality.

Everything suggests or screams reality in the confines of the game, except the rpg elements come out of nowhere and are highly unrealistic.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2019, 21:43.

13. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 19:46 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 18:18:
Punkbuster was so incompetently made it wouldn't uninstall. Flamethrower
That's an intentional feature, not a bug.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

12. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 18:18 Acleacius

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 12:12:
Meh, by the time I bought the first game on sale, it was pretty fun coop. No need to support buggy software day one.

The first game WAS good eventually, Acleacius, but admittedly I got into it like a year or so after release.
Gtk, just saw it on sale for $5. The reviews show it as a 6/10 game that is forced online ubi servers. Is the story any good and can you actually play the complete game solo offline?

The last ubi game I played Far Cry 3, stealth installed spyware punkbuster, just to to play single player offline. It was a huge pain to remove after realizing it had been installed without permission. I had to download a special tool from the creeps at punkbuster. Their software was so incompetently made it wouldn't uninstall. Flamethrower

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

11. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 16:51 FloorPie

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 11:02:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTxORhKEDzs

Not looking good currently. Admiteddly the PvP was not really tested by Mack, and the game might still be worth it if the PvP is great.

Meh. I like Mack's reviews and he's not wrong on the bugs but I had to stop watching his stream of it when they were running a mission. They were not playing it as a cover shooter and mostly face tanking while bitching about bullet sponges. Basically they obviously hadn't played much of D1 or could figure out that you can't face tank much in these games and no where near as much in D2 as you could in D1 with he proper gear.

The big problem though is the game balance for 4 player groups. I saw people having tons of problems in 4 man groups on streams/videos that I solo'd mostly without trouble. The max level 30 mission Ubisoft let us play was further proof given the weapons we had, along with the new armor/health system that the game needs balancing. Taking full mag dumps on the basic bad guys to kill them was not good. That was after I'd gotten an gold level gun drop. The gear choices they did for the lvl 30s wasn't great either.

10. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 14:37 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 12:11:
After the technical alpha and the closed beta this weekend I'm already burned out on the game.

It's grindy and boring. Every mission is split up into mini objectives with massive enemy (re)spawns on nearly every step to prolong "gameplay". The missions are also very similar to each other in their basic structure.

First you have some mini objectives with regular enemies and then a mini bossfight with an armored enemy at the end of the mission. Over and over again. Every single mission. Yawn.

Most mini bosses aren't even challenging because the AI is dumb and slow. There is lots of busywork like the settlement upgrades but all of that stuff relies on grind.

Many of the environmental objectives are also a little too familiar if you have played any Ubi game of the past three years or so (e.g. shutting down a propaganda broadcast station and defending the area against swarms of enemies).

I guess the game might be kind of fun for coop groups who can reliably get together and play through the game together as a tight-knit group but for me as a solo player it was mostly boring and grindy after the first two hours or so.

The visuals are really nice and the high production values do have merit but when a game has more style than substance it always becomes apparent after a couple of hours.

The Division 2 is also breaking the 4th wall in so far as it becomes a little too obvious many times that the mechanics are made to keep you "engaged", i.e. p(l)aying for as long as possible. Ubi is delivering on their GaaS promise to investors here.

I guess time will tell if gamers share the enthusiasm of being "engaged" in samey drawn out missions. $120 for the ultimate edition, which only covers the first year (year one pass) by the way, is pretty ambitious.

Nice review, man.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

9. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 14:32 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 14:21:
Alamar wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 14:11:
And the super duper armored enemies... I don't mind some bullet spongyness in my shooters, but there appeared to be zero feedback on whether I was making any progress (with bullets; explosives showed some numbers, but were on a long ass cooldown, and grenades were scarce during a long, boss-only fight).

You can brute force through armor with bullets, but it's locational so it's best to drill the same exact spot. That's the long way, though, you're meant to find the weakness that will strip off most or all their armor pretty quickly. For example, in the hotel mission from the beta, they come right out and say to shoot his ammo belt. The same mechanic was present throughout the first game (you get a yellow hit indicator with special impact sound), they've only expanded on it.

That's good to know, so thanks for that... I like that overall design, but some UI indication would have been nice... I'm pro tutorial, but I don't necessary hear/see everything, or remember it ; )

Going forward though, at least now I know I should experiment even more than I was to find the sweet spot (Unless it's always just yellow, as a lot of these games often do).

8. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 14:21 jacobvandy

Alamar wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 14:11:
And the super duper armored enemies... I don't mind some bullet spongyness in my shooters, but there appeared to be zero feedback on whether I was making any progress (with bullets; explosives showed some numbers, but were on a long ass cooldown, and grenades were scarce during a long, boss-only fight).

You can brute force through armor with bullets, but it's locational so it's best to drill the same exact spot. That's the long way, though, you're meant to find the weakness that will strip off most or all their armor pretty quickly. For example, in the hotel mission from the beta, they come right out and say to shoot his ammo belt. The same mechanic was present throughout the first game (you get a yellow hit indicator with special impact sound), they've only expanded on it.

7. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 14:11 Alamar

As a big fan of Fantasy and Sci-Fi stuff... I loved Anthem, and The Division 2 (Private Beta) bored the shit out of me... Some of the mechanics aren't bad, but I feel like I'm fighting against the controls all the time (which is ironic, since I got used to Anthem's bad beta controls pretty quickly), and the fucking cover system... Neat concept (running from cover to cover is done well), but I just keep hitting space to jump, and there is no jump (only vault/climb).

I picked up the first for like $5 at some point, and enjoyed it for a dozen or two hours, but ultimately just ditched it, instead of grinding through the content to get to the end of the story. I guess I've come full circle here, because I also had complaints with auto leveling RPG mobs, but at least I could just rip through the Destiny 2 story with very little non-story-grind to get to the next spot... Was usually over leveled because I was enjoying myself enough to explore and what not.

6. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 13:00 Quinn

The only reason I played and even went back to The Division was because that game has the best fucking atmosphere ever. I was in Manhatten during some crazy virus outbreak. 10 out of 10.
Rest of the game sucked.
No reason to get this sequel, but a friend gave it to me because he got it with his AMD GPU. I'll try it again for just the atmosphere but the videos are lifeless.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

5. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 12:46 Cutter

It's just too much of a repetitive treadmill to keep me interested.

"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson

4. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 12:12 MoreLuckThanSkill

3. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 12:11 CJ_Parker

After the technical alpha and the closed beta this weekend I'm already burned out on the game.

It's grindy and boring. Every mission is split up into mini objectives with massive enemy (re)spawns on nearly every step to prolong "gameplay". The missions are also very similar to each other in their basic structure.

First you have some mini objectives with regular enemies and then a mini bossfight with an armored enemy at the end of the mission. Over and over again. Every single mission. Yawn.

Most mini bosses aren't even challenging because the AI is dumb and slow. There is lots of busywork like the settlement upgrades but all of that stuff relies on grind.

Many of the environmental objectives are also a little too familiar if you have played any Ubi game of the past three years or so (e.g. shutting down a propaganda broadcast station and defending the area against swarms of enemies).

I guess the game might be kind of fun for coop groups who can reliably get together and play through the game together as a tight-knit group but for me as a solo player it was mostly boring and grindy after the first two hours or so.

The visuals are really nice and the high production values do have merit but when a game has more style than substance it always becomes apparent after a couple of hours.

The Division 2 is also breaking the 4th wall in so far as it becomes a little too obvious many times that the mechanics are made to keep you "engaged", i.e. p(l)aying for as long as possible. Ubi is delivering on their GaaS promise to investors here.

I guess time will tell if gamers share the enthusiasm of being "engaged" in samey drawn out missions. $120 for the ultimate edition, which only covers the first year (year one pass) by the way, is pretty ambitious.

2. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Plans Revealed Feb 11, 2019, 11:15 Acleacius

I never played the first, it had pretty crappy ratings.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tom-clancys-the-division

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo