Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity

A tweet from CD Projekt RED indicates that the developer has no intention of making Cyberpunk 2077 an Epic Games Store exclusive (thanks VGR.com via [H]ardOCP). This might seem like simple prudence after seeing the backlash to the news that Metro Exodus would be exclusive to Epic's new shop. But there's an even more obvious reason, since they are the owners of their own online store: GOG.com. Here's word:

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

30. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 11, 2019, 10:06 RedEye9

Prez wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 09:58:
Idiots - Metro Exodus was never exclusive to Steam. You could buy it anywhere. As many publishers do, the makers of the game had decided of their own volition to use Steam as their DRM. This isn't fucking hard. It's like being mad that a game in the 90's used securom instead of starforce. LOL remember those?
Oh, so I could download and install it from Itch.io, GOG, UBISoft, Steam, Humble and the Epic Store. I didn't know that. No wonder the outrage. Wink

there’s no education in the second kick of a mule
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 11, 2019, 09:58 Prez

Idiots - Metro Exodus was never exclusive to Steam. You could buy it anywhere. As many publishers do, the makers of the game had decided of their own volition to use Steam as their DRM. This isn't fucking hard. It's like being mad that a game in the 90's used securom instead of starforce. LOL remember those?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 11, 2019, 09:25 Parallax Abstraction

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 14:00:
Where was the ghashing of teeth when Metro Exodus was exclusively on Steam.
Oh wait, there was none. Wink

Forgive the self-promotion but I did an episode of my ramble podcast that explains why the outrage over Metro Exodus is way more complicated than that.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

27. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 11, 2019, 06:38 Simon Says

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 21:43:
You are not abiding by the common group think and will need to report for re-education immediately.

Wrong again Red, I avoid steam as much as I can and prefer GOG, but I report from my experience when looking for mods, most of those I wanted and the big projects were all kept up to date and availlable on steam versions ( on the games I play, YMMV ), while the same projects and mods were often ( more than 50% of the time ) unavaillable through 3rd party sites and/or out of date, so unavaillable on GOG version.

As a practicable example, just yesterday I was looking for a mod to remove the Casus Belli mechanics from Stellaris, mod was availlable for steam, couldn't be found anywhere else. This happens pretty often, often enough to be significant.

FYI, I'd rather have steam mods be downloadable the old fashioned way than having them restricted to the steam service which is just stupid. But I don't expect Valve to allow that anytime soon... if ever.

26. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 11, 2019, 05:08 MattyC

I struggled for just a bit trying to figure out why CD Projekt would want to go with Epic, even if they were given some outside incentive. Then I realized this was just sillyness and I should really go to bed.

In related news, Ronald McDonald tweeted that he totes mcgoats wasn't going to be giving Burger King exclusive rights to the next McRib release. The video and more on this shocking development tonight at 11!

25. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 11, 2019, 00:00 Creston

Fion wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 21:20:
Simon Says wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 14:37:
Fion wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 13:03:
CD Project Red is part of the same company that runs GOG.com, so it's there that it'll have the best price.

Best price, but probably not the best deal. If you like mods, you're still better off going Steam since that's where most of the modding is done.

Only alternative is to cross your fingers that it'll get posted somewhere else like nexusmods or something.

As a modder myself, there are some very real downsides to steam workshop, depending on the game. For games like Skyrim, which can have big complex mods with lots of options to install, the workshop simply isn't a viable option. And so a lot of the very best Skyrim mods aren't found on the workshop.

For other games, like Civ, that isn't a problem and so workshop is fine. The only problem there are mods often don't get updated as quickly, or go defunct. An example would be the popular Moar Units for Civ 6. It hasn't been updated since the first expansion came out, it's defunct, but it'll never be removed. It's also been 5-stared so many times it is still near the top of the list. While mods from other authors that picked up the torch like the new(er) Steel and Thunder mods are way down on the list and so a lot of folks have no idea they exist.

So for someone who just casually picks up a few mods that improve small aspects of a game, Steam Workshop is great. For folks who want to mod seriously, or want to use large, complex mods, it's not a great choice.

Agreed. The Steam workshop has been excellent work by Steam, and for some games it works fabulously. Xcom and Xcom 2 for example handle multiple mods without issues, and so the workshop is fantastic for that.

Other games... not so much. Skyrim and Fallout of course being the most notable ones.

On topic, why on earth would CDPR put CP2077 on Epic exclusively? They'd literally be shooting themselves in the ass. Plus, they have a giant fanbase, already have fantastic word of mouth, have a killer fucking hit under their belt. They don't need Epic's sack of cash, they'll sell PLENTY releasing on Gog and Steam.

24. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 22:01 Acleacius

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 21:43:
CD Project Red is part of the same company that runs GOG.com, so it's there that it'll have the best price.

Best price, but probably not the best deal. If you like mods, you're still better off going Steam since that's where most of the modding is done.

Only alternative is to cross your fingers that it'll get posted somewhere else like nexusmods or something.

As a modder myself, there are some very real downsides to steam workshop, depending on the game. For games like Skyrim, which can have big complex mods with lots of options to install, the workshop simply isn't a viable option. And so a lot of the very best Skyrim mods aren't found on the workshop.

For other games, like Civ, that isn't a problem and so workshop is fine. The only problem there are mods often don't get updated as quickly, or go defunct. An example would be the popular Moar Units for Civ 6. It hasn't been updated since the first expansion came out, it's defunct, but it'll never be removed. It's also been 5-stared so many times it is still near the top of the list. While mods from other authors that picked up the torch like the new(er) Steel and Thunder mods are way down on the list and so a lot of folks have no idea they exist.

So for someone who just casually picks up a few mods that improve small aspects of a game, Steam Workshop is great. For folks who want to mod seriously, or want to use large, complex mods, it's not a great choice.
You are not abiding by the common group think and will need to report for re-education immediately.

the following is a primer for what you will re-learn
Steam has the workshop, therefore it is the best place for mods.
Steam has forums, therefore they have the best forums.
Steam basically has "unspoken" exclusive game sales, therefore its exclusivity is grandfathered and overlooked.
Steam has x, therefore they have the best x.
Someone's been drinking koolaid! Mwahaha

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

23. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 21:43 RedEye9

the following is a primer for what you will re-learn
Steam has the workshop, therefore it is the best place for mods.
Steam has forums, therefore they have the best forums.
Steam basically has "unspoken" exclusive game sales, therefore its exclusivity is grandfathered and overlooked.
Steam has x, therefore they have the best x.

22. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 21:20 Fion

21. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 21:18 Beamer

Historically, that isn't true. Hell, right now TW3 is $12 on Steam and $40 on GOG. GOTY is $14 vs $50.

The publisher decides the pricing, not the store. And, when the store is owned by the publisher and therefore competing, it tends to do price parity. It's actually somewhat anticompetitive to charge less on your own platform as on other platforms. You see it, but not all that frequently. It's not perfectly symmetrical, but the price essentially averages the same over time on both platforms.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 19:27 Spektr

Poland 1 Russia 0  

19. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 19:26 Spektr

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 15:39:
Someone who is unaware they are owned by the same company? Not everyone watches the industry as closely as we do here.

I bet that someone doesn't care that much about store exclusives.

18. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 16:13 wrlwnd

Unless it's on Steam these days there's a good chance I won't even know about it and an even better chance I won't care.

Fortnite was one of the few titles that I got on another platform since it had high visibility and my nephew wanted me to get it, and of course, since it was free.

Unless it's a gift, I really have no desire to bring another sell platform into it, primarly because of the Steam sales that I'm more than willing to wait for.

17. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 15:45 Cutter

"Oooh yeah. Did you see the memo on this?"

"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson

16. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 15:39 jdreyer

Rilcon wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 14:49:
Who could possibly be stupid enough to think they would ever contemplate that?

Someone who is unaware they are owned by the same company? Not everyone watches the industry as closely as we do here.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

15. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 15:38 Mordecai Walfish

How is this even news?

"Developer that already operates their own games store not making their game exclusive on a competitor's store."

If this is at the top it must be a mighty slow news day.

14. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 15:30 RedEye9

Acleacius wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 15:26:
A lot of games are on just Steam, it's been around the longest (average of a decade longer than others) and has the biggest audience. It's completely different than breaking a deal, two weeks before release, obviously. I sure hope deepsilver and -4agames are paying by the word for all this RedEye9 lovin. I figure your gonna be rich after this uproar is over in about 3 months! Giggle

I only get paid when someone quotes me. Ka-Ching
$$$$$
Thanks

13. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 15:26 Acleacius

A lot of games are on just Steam, it's been around the longest (average of a decade longer than others) and has the biggest audience. It's completely different than breaking a deal, two weeks before release, obviously. I sure hope deepsilver and -4agames are paying by the word for all this RedEye9 lovin. I figure your gonna be rich after this uproar is over in about 3 months! Giggle

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

12. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 15:08 RedEye9

Rilcon wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 14:49:
Who could possibly be stupid enough to think they would ever contemplate that?
You must be new to this thing called the internet. Wink

11. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Punks Epic Exclusivity Feb 10, 2019, 14:53 Bumpy

Make gaming great again.
GOG.com

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo