Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game?

On its surface, the new Tender Website appears to be another online dating dealie, hoping to get in on some of that left- and right-swiping that constitutes romance in the modern era. There seems to be more to this, however, as the Game Detectives Wiki makes the case that this is an ARG from Paradox Interactive, the actual operators of the site (Paradox owns the copyright, and you can sign in with your Paradox account). As with most ARGs, this is somewhat arcane and complicated, so thanks Destructoid for summarizing the theory that this is a tease for an upcoming return to the Vampire: The Masquerade license, last visited by Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, the action/RPG that sucked the last drops of blood from Troika Games back in 2005. Here's word:

All right so theory time. White Wolf is the publisher of the famous Vampire: The Masquerade tabletop RPG series. Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines is one of the most popular Western RPGs in PC history and the series has gone untapped in the video game world since then. White Wolf Publishing technically owns the license for V:TM and its accompanying universe, the World of Darkness. I say technically because after a controversial chapter was published in the 2018 version of the V:TM tabletop book, Paradox Interactive gutted the company and assumed command.

With Dungeons and Dragons now fully back in the cultural zeitgeist, as well as Cyberpunk 2020 getting a video game adaptation, we are in a new age of video games based on existing tabletop series. I wonder if the World of Darkness is the next series to get some modern love? Guess we'll find out over the next six to eight weeks. Which by the way, six to eight weeks takes us to the second half of March into the first week of April. That's nowhere near E3 or PDXCon, so any speculation on that date is welcome.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 11, 2019, 13:08 jdreyer

Wesp5 wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 10:39:
J wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 05:05:
I'm amused by how quickly you responded to the thread, especially as you had not previously posted. I wonder if you have a vampiric version of the spidey sense?

Actually I read Blues News several times a day to see what's up in the gaming world :)! And I post often too if the topic interests me...

So you lurk in the shadows. Appropriate.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 11, 2019, 10:39 Wesp5

J wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 05:05:
I'm amused by how quickly you responded to the thread, especially as you had not previously posted. I wonder if you have a vampiric version of the spidey sense?

Actually I read Blues News several times a day to see what's up in the gaming world :)! And I post often too if the topic interests me...

14. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 11, 2019, 10:17 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 23:57:
Any vampire fan might also consider watching this, which is free to watch if you subscribe to Amazon Prime.

What We Do in the Shadows
Vampires, humans, werewolfs and a chicken in a cloth sack.
BEST Movie Ever.
You do the dishes!

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

13. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 11, 2019, 06:49 Dolnor Numbwit

The Canadian company Alice&Smith are running this ARG. They've done a great job running many ARGs...even winning awards for them. The created the ARG for the No Man's Sky updates...the ARG was very complex. It included foriegn radio stations playing commercials with hidden messages, a Chinese Satellite transmitting mysterious messages as it passed overhead locations world-wide, encryptions galore, in-person "secret agent" drop-offs in several locations in the world, and some things that I don't think the community were able to solve.

I'm expecting the same with this ARG. Participants have already received and solved a code to open a briefcase...given by a "secret agent" in Los Angeles!

Enjoying the ride and can't wait for more! -)

TQQdles™

12. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 11, 2019, 05:05 J

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

11. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 11, 2019, 03:01 Wesp5

J wrote on Feb 11, 2019, 02:59:
I figure that, at the very least, it'll keep Wesp5 busy for at least another decade.

I really do hope not :)!

10. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 11, 2019, 02:59 J

I figure that, at the very least, it'll keep Wesp5 busy for at least another decade.  

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

9. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 11, 2019, 00:53 Muscular Beaver

Remakes are also in fashion.
I would play the f...angs out of a Redemption remake.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

8. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 10, 2019, 23:57 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 21:58:
ItBurn wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 20:36:
I like the vampire setting, but I honestly don't care either way about The Masquerade brand. The games I like are made by talented teams and they would be good games regardless of the branding. I'm really not into any of Paradox's games, so...
I really like Vampire Masquerade setting and have no reason to think paradox is qualified in anyway. The big problem is most vampire lore and myth are based on The Masquerade's intellectual property. So any new property has to either pay or dance around it like True Blood. I wouldn't doubt Underworld property had to pay something.

Any vampire fan might consider watching this...
World of Darkness: The Documentary Vampire
Any vampire fan might also consider watching this, which is free to watch if you subscribe to Amazon Prime.

What We Do in the Shadows

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 10, 2019, 21:58 Acleacius

ItBurn wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 20:36:
I like the vampire setting, but I honestly don't care either way about The Masquerade brand. The games I like are made by talented teams and they would be good games regardless of the branding. I'm really not into any of Paradox's games, so...
I really like Vampire Masquerade setting and have no reason to think paradox is qualified in anyway. The big problem is most vampire lore and myth are based on The Masquerade's intellectual property. So any new property has to either pay or dance around it like True Blood. I wouldn't doubt Underworld property had to pay something.

Any vampire fan might consider watching this...
World of Darkness: The Documentary Vampire

'The Republican Party Has Become the Most Dangerous Organization in World History' Chomsky

6. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 10, 2019, 20:36 ItBurn

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 10, 2019, 20:17 Mordecai Walfish

Spektr wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 19:38:
"Dungeons and Dragons now fully back in the cultural zeitgeist"

What does that mean to be in the cultural zeitgeist? Is it a convoluted way of saying people are talking about it again? Because that would be weird... Back in the days of Baldur's Gate it would have made sense to mention Dungeons And Dragons as a reason to start working on a famous RPG license. And to make games based on famous RPG licenses. Not even sure it makes to mention another license to say it's a good time to resume work on a license. No mention of the new Call of Cthulhu game. Always thought that license was more widely known than Vampire. I might be wrong or maybe the game is more Ancient. Or the Pathfinder game? Or maybe those video games are nothing to phone home about?

I think they're talking about big bang theory. everyone is a cool nerd who has played dnd since middle school now

4. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 10, 2019, 19:38 Spektr

"Dungeons and Dragons now fully back in the cultural zeitgeist"

What does that mean to be in the cultural zeitgeist? Is it a convoluted way of saying people are talking about it again? Because that would be weird... Back in the days of Baldur's Gate it would have made sense to mention Dungeons And Dragons as a reason to start working on a famous RPG license. And to make games based on famous RPG licenses. Not even sure it makes to mention another license to say it's a good time to resume work on a license. No mention of the new Call of Cthulhu game. Always thought that license was more widely known than Vampire. I might be wrong or maybe the game is more Ancient. Or the Pathfinder game? Or maybe those video games are nothing to phone home about?

3. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 10, 2019, 15:48 Cutter

This is going to suck...your blood!

Vampire

Oooh yeah. Kinda gotta agree with CJ there. Not a fan of Paradox. If it's anything like everything else they do, 90% of the game will be DLC.

“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” - Will Rogers

2. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 10, 2019, 13:30 CJ_Parker

Zero fucks given if this fraudulent publisher has anything to do with it. They can shove their piecemeal games and their fraudulent business practices, like selling "collections" that still do NOT include every DLC, right up their asses.

Fuck Paradox, fuck Stardock. Both are known to cheat people with seemingly "complete" bundles that are many things but definitely not complete.

Besides, what about patching Tyranny DLC into a playable state, Paradox? Well? Bastard's Wound still has game-breaking bugs last I read but you fuckers are too busy milking the living shit out of your custo... errr... cows, right? Assholes...

1. Re: Paradox ARG Teasing New Vampire: The Masquerade Game? Feb 10, 2019, 13:08 Fion

I'm assuming this will be based on the new Vampire: the Masquerade 5th edition, aka V5. That pen & paper game did so poorly and was written so badly that Paradox shut them down mere months after launch. The game is defunct. Though any companion books in the works for it are still being made, after that the game will be dead.

I'd much rather see it based on Vampire: the Requiem, by Onyx Path Publishings. It's a modern PnP RPG that is actually well made, fantastically written, and soaked in vampiric flavor.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo