Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Legal Briefs

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 13, 2019, 05:20 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 20:32:
NKD wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 20:18:
Going about your day without being accosted by the police without cause is a right.
Tell that to Jacqui's parents.

What's your argument? That literally anything is acceptable as long as it saves one person from being disfigured in a drunk driving crash?

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 21:45:
NKD wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 17:21:
Checkpoints are some totalitarian bullshit. Give the police an inch and they take a mile. Every new technology they get, they abuse. Every new fine they can impose, they set a quota for. Checkpoints? If you think it stops at DUI I've got a surplus tank I can sell your local police department at a deep discount.

If someone is driving like a moron, pull them over and arrest their ass if they are drunk. If someone is just rolling down the street obeying the law, leave them the fuck alone.

Checkpoints manned 24/7 by armed police are totalitarian bullshit. Temporary checkpoints on Friday night from 7PM to 2AM is good policing.

I assume you feel the same way about Stop-and-Frisk and racial profiling?

Arrest the President, you got the evidence.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 11, 2019, 13:10 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 23:13:
Don't worry, soon self-driving cars will render this argument moot.

At which time, there will be zero reason to own a car. 99% of the point is to enjoy driving. Otherwise, you may as well take the damn bus.

AI taxis should be ubiquitous and cheap enough that most people shouldn't have to own.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

13. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 23:13 ForgedReality

Don't worry, soon self-driving cars will render this argument moot.

At which time, there will be zero reason to own a car. 99% of the point is to enjoy driving. Otherwise, you may as well take the damn bus.

12. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 21:45 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 17:21:
Checkpoints are some totalitarian bullshit. Give the police an inch and they take a mile. Every new technology they get, they abuse. Every new fine they can impose, they set a quota for. Checkpoints? If you think it stops at DUI I've got a surplus tank I can sell your local police department at a deep discount.

If someone is driving like a moron, pull them over and arrest their ass if they are drunk. If someone is just rolling down the street obeying the law, leave them the fuck alone.

Checkpoints manned 24/7 by armed police are totalitarian bullshit. Temporary checkpoints on Friday night from 7PM to 2AM is good policing. Don't worry, soon self-driving cars will render this argument moot.

11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 20:32 RedEye9

NKD wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 20:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 20:04:
Drunk drivers kill people.
Sobriety checkpoints are nothing new. Europe has had them for years.
http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main-eu.A1648?lang=en

Driving is a Privilege, Not a Right

Going about your day without being accosted by the police without cause is a right.
Tell that to Jacqui's parents.

there’s no education in the second kick of a mule

10. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 20:18 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 20:04:

9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 20:04 RedEye9

8. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 17:21 NKD

7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 16:40 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 14:41:
Individuals who post the locations of DWI checkpoints may be engaging in criminal conduct since such actions could be intentional attempts to prevent and/or impair the administration of the DWI laws and other relevant criminal and traffic laws.

While I would never post the location of a DWI check point, as I want those fuckers to get caught, I can't see how reporting the location of public workers at work in public places wouldn't be covered by the first amendment.

i doubt it's illegal, just cops ignoring the rights of the people they police again. they do this quite often with practices like nypd's 'stop and frisk' or the fbi's stingray usage, and when there's legal pushback they just dismiss the case so there's never any legal precedent anyone can point to saying it's illegal.

6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 16:05 jdreyer

It's still too early to kill that EV tax credit. Maybe in another 5 years.  

5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 15:53 Cutter

Jesus Christ, that fucking bitch got 90 grand for working an event and that wasn't enough? Now I ain't saying she's a gold digger...  

"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson

4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 15:07 PHJF

By law in Ohio the police department must post ahead of time when and where OVI (they changed it from DUI years back because technically you don't have to be driving the vehicle to be charged, just in the driver's seat with keys in reach) checkpoints are to be. Can't see how google posting public information would be offensive...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 14:48 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 10, 2019, 14:14:
Too much shit in water, that's why I drink beer.
I bet she never saw that coming.

Too much shit in beer, like corn syrup!

For the record, trying to differentiate your beer by pointing out it doesn't use corn syrup is probably the dumbest basis for a beer ad campaign in history, as entertaining and well done as the ads are.

2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 14:41 jdreyer

Individuals who post the locations of DWI checkpoints may be engaging in criminal conduct since such actions could be intentional attempts to prevent and/or impair the administration of the DWI laws and other relevant criminal and traffic laws.

While I would never post the location of a DWI check point, as I want those fuckers to get caught, I can't see how reporting the location of public workers at work in public places wouldn't be covered by the first amendment.

1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 10, 2019, 14:14 RedEye9

Too much shit in water, that's why I drink beer.
I bet she never saw that coming.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo