Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

AMD Radeon VII Reviews

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 14, 2019, 19:08 RedEye9

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019/02/14/amd_radeon_vii_video_card_review/1
Is finally out

“If the government is covering up knowledge of aliens, they are doing a better job of it than they do at anything else.”
- Stephen Hawking
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 10, 2019, 01:06 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 8, 2019, 10:23:
Kain wrote on Feb 8, 2019, 08:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 23:50:
They rebranded their production cards into gaming cards and OC'd them.... so this isn't even a new card. It's just a slightly faster VEGA.

So basically, a typical AMD GPU. Too hot, too much power usage, too noisy and on par with a 2080 in price, but then also not really and in some cases quite substantially....? Sounds like driver issues.

As long as NVIDIA has nothing to fear they won't lower prices either. And to price match the 2080 with this card is a ballsy move by AMD, had they skipped the overpriced HBM2 memory the card could have been 20% cheaper easily, and THEN it would have been a must-buy. Sigh

The worst part is that they were so lazy they didn't even change production so they could at least cut the costs. 16GB of HBM2 is is an eye watering $320, its almost half the price of the damned card and it's useless, 8GB is more than sufficient. They also left no headroom for AIB partners to do anything so why would they bother? This thing can't OC. There is nothing for Asus, MSI or eVGA to do with it.

Frankly this sort of effort leaves me with little confidence for Navi.
They went with 16gb for bandwidth and to give the card its limited 4k legs.

It would be interesting to see a gpu designed by the pundits here on bn. /jk

Obviously they have a reason to use HBM2, or they wouldn't. The point is this isn't a new GPU, it's VEGA and it has all the horrendous memory problems that VEGA has (VEGA core design is memory starved to the point of absurdity) 16GB of HBM2 wasn't an option it was a necessity for the production card. The fact they 1:1 rebrand their production cards tells you 2 things 1) That production card wasn't selling AT ALL 2) They have no intention of redesigning their memory controller for GPU's on this card generation.

And if WE designed a GPU it'd likely be a 1080 TI with 12GB of GDDR6 memory and 50% more of everything else, no RTX and no bullshit.

34. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 8, 2019, 12:02 Kain

At this point I'm not sure the users here couldn't do a better job than RTG /jk  

33. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 8, 2019, 10:23 RedEye9

Kain wrote on Feb 8, 2019, 08:09:
They rebranded their production cards into gaming cards and OC'd them.... so this isn't even a new card. It's just a slightly faster VEGA.

So basically, a typical AMD GPU. Too hot, too much power usage, too noisy and on par with a 2080 in price, but then also not really and in some cases quite substantially....? Sounds like driver issues.

As long as NVIDIA has nothing to fear they won't lower prices either. And to price match the 2080 with this card is a ballsy move by AMD, had they skipped the overpriced HBM2 memory the card could have been 20% cheaper easily, and THEN it would have been a must-buy. Sigh

The worst part is that they were so lazy they didn't even change production so they could at least cut the costs. 16GB of HBM2 is is an eye watering $320, its almost half the price of the damned card and it's useless, 8GB is more than sufficient. They also left no headroom for AIB partners to do anything so why would they bother? This thing can't OC. There is nothing for Asus, MSI or eVGA to do with it.

They went with 16gb for bandwidth and to give the card its limited 4k legs.

It would be interesting to see a gpu designed by the pundits here on bn. /jk

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2019, 12:24.

“If the government is covering up knowledge of aliens, they are doing a better job of it than they do at anything else.”
- Stephen Hawking

32. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 8, 2019, 08:09 Kain

31. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 8, 2019, 05:57 Simon Says

El Pit wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 13:49:
Of course you won't, though. You're blind on that eye, it's obvious.

**Snowflake meltdown detected**

Just gonna leave this here: https://imgur.com/a/oAL8usk ( Source: https://youtu.be/6jP3tetYnVI?t=777 )

For the record, I'm on an Intel CPU ( i7-8700 ) and Nvidia GPU ( GTX1060 6gb ), didn't have an AMD CPU since Athlons and an AMD GPU since the HD5850... so yeah... LOL

30. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 8, 2019, 01:21 Scheherazade

El Pit wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 13:49:
Simon Says wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 12:34:
El Pit wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 11:49:
As I had to tell you a few days ago: it is somewhere between the 2070 and 2080 (mostly).

3 years after the release of the 1080 Ti, AMD has finally arrived where Nvidia was back in 2016. Sad, but true.

I wish they would have released a sort of "Ryzen GPU". Well, maybe in 2020.

Just 4% shy of the RTX2080 ( according to Hardware Unboxed and Gamer Nexus ) with crappy drivers = "somewhere between the 2070 and 2080 ( mostly )"?

xD xD

Correction: It trades blows with the RTX2080 ( according to HUB/GN ), winning some, losing some. At least give credit where it's due.

Ofc, the power efficiency is crap tho.

Correction: IT DOES NOT.

E.g. from Guru3D: "In its core basis, the performance is good, but it is a bit all over the place. It shows strength at ultra HD resolutions, then all of the sudden kicks ass in Battlefield V, but then drops in between RTX 2070 and 2080 on other titles."

And "drivers suck" - try comparing the ORIGINAL 1080 Ti benchmarks with the first drivers to the R7 with its first drivers. But don't cry. Of course you won't, though. You're blind on that eye, it's obvious.

Whatever. I still hope to see a good AMD gpu in 2020 that can actually compete at the same price with the raw power and the amount of features of the RTX. One can hope, but one also has to open his eyes and admit the truth. Truth is: the R7 is NOT competitive to the RTX 2080. Not in those benchmarks.

EDIT: To all those not getting paid by AMD here: go and read up and watch the benchmarks. And then come back and read a special group of people trying to tell you "It's just the drivers". And then go back and read up what those people told you when AMD released the Bulldozer CPU... Yeah, funny, isn't it?

Yep. At it's worst it's between a 2070 and 2080.

And at it's best it's at the heels of a 2080ti.

Definately not very consistent.

But let's be reasonable, and stick to where it is at most of the time - closer to a 2080 than it matters.

(I run a 2080ti. Not like it has anything to offer me. "Just saying".)

-scheherazade

29. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 23:50 eRe4s3r

28. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 22:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, my last AMD card was a R7970, so quite some time ago. It was a good card for a few years though.

Hopefully AMD gets their shit together, as others have said, more competition is definitely needed.

I'm probably 3-4 years away from building another gaming desktop, my Nvidia 1070 is still doing reasonably well even in BFV and other 'new' games.

27. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 18:42 Drayth

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 15:28:
Always had NVidia cards, from their very first accelerator to today. I tried AMD once. When Star Wars Galaxies came out, the card was supposed to be the best. I HATED it. Things looked funny, there were glitches all over. I sold it and got another NVidia and VIOLA! SWG ran great and looked awesome. Never tried again.

That was my experience. I decided to give AMD a go with their 290x. Bought two. Mantle + Crossfire was going to be the greatest thing ever. Couldn't run the second card for 8 months due to glitches. And I was one of the many unlucky ones who got the cheaper VRAM which caused constant black screens you had to hard reset out of. Solution was to underclock the memory. : |

Then the NV 980 came out and that was the end of that. Never going back.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they can make something competitive some day, but I'll leave that for other people to purchase. Just help me keep the costs down plz.

26. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 17:01 Xero

No Thanks AMD. You were my first CPU when I bought a PC but never got into the graphic cards.

Just that I read waaay too many articles regarding patches specific for AMD cards and games due to glitches/issues. Don't need that in my life.

Primarily playing ATM: CS Go, DUSK, Ion Maiden, FarCry New Dawn, 20XX

25. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 16:41 Kain

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 13:37:
AMD is far and away the better value always. Right now the cheapest Nvidia 8GB card on Canada Computers is a GTX 1070 $470CDN. Cheapest AMD 8GB card is an RX580 @ $300CDN.

Only really a value at 1080p, at 1440p+ its not competitive regardless of the cost. You could try but you would need to go Medium or lower on settings in many titles to get decent frames. It's a solid 1080p card though.

The Radeon VII on the other hand is a very poor value given its feature set and performance. It's also disappointing to hear that AMD regressed on driver quality again after making so many strides to improve their prior reputation.

Its a stock card... They are always much louder than the custom ones.

You know these are lower binned prosumer Insight cards right? Hence the memory config. I doubt anyone else is going to bother. AMD is enforcing reference only design right now and it doesn't seem like anyone is biting. Besides they would spend too much time and money that is better spent on Navi based stuff.

Anyways really disappointing again but obviously this is stopgap. We desperately need competition in this space, Nvidia's prices are bonkers. If not AMD then maybe Intel in 2020.

24. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 15:28 Agent.X7

Always had NVidia cards, from their very first accelerator to today. I tried AMD once. When Star Wars Galaxies came out, the card was supposed to be the best. I HATED it. Things looked funny, there were glitches all over. I sold it and got another NVidia and VIOLA! SWG ran great and looked awesome. Never tried again.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

23. Re: etc. Feb 7, 2019, 15:25 deqer

I can buy 3 consoles for that price. I think I'll buy 3 consoles instead.  

22. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 15:07 Wallshadows

AMD is far and away the better value always. Right now the cheapest Nvidia 8GB card on Canada Computers is a GTX 1070 $470CDN. Cheapest AMD 8GB card is an RX580 @ $300CDN.

They're falling even lower than that. Right now on Amazon there's a Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8GB for $270. A couple of days ago there was one from XFX for $255.

If any Canadians want chunky deals you should absolutely subscribe to /r/buildapcsales .

21. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 14:39 Beamer

Nearly all of those say 4% slower than the 2080, for the price of the 2080 (or higher), and only really wins in Far Cry 5 and Battlefield 1 while losing in dozens of games. Much better on productivity, if you need it, but other than "those being paid by AMD," seems like this isn't a cost effective solution.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 14:03 jamiedj99

As I had to tell you a few days ago: it is somewhere between the 2070 and 2080 (mostly).

3 years after the release of the 1080 Ti, AMD has finally arrived where Nvidia was back in 2016. Sad, but true.

In 2020 you also will get intel GPU swinging hard for some market share as well

19. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 14:00 jamiedj99

this is sorta a meh because when Nvidia comes out with its 2080 without RTX to give you more of a matched cared for a few hundred less anyone who bought this was be hitting there head on a wall  

18. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 13:55 El Pit

Yes, the RX580 is a good card. Nice price-value ratio.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

17. Re: AMD Radeon VII Reviews Feb 7, 2019, 13:49 El Pit

Simon Says wrote on Feb 7, 2019, 12:34:

Just 4% shy of the RTX2080 ( according to Hardware Unboxed and Gamer Nexus ) with crappy drivers = "somewhere between the 2070 and 2080 ( mostly )"?

xD xD

Correction: It trades blows with the RTX2080 ( according to HUB/GN ), winning some, losing some. At least give credit where it's due.

Ofc, the power efficiency is crap tho.

Correction: IT DOES NOT.

E.g. from Guru3D: "In its core basis, the performance is good, but it is a bit all over the place. It shows strength at ultra HD resolutions, then all of the sudden kicks ass in Battlefield V, but then drops in between RTX 2070 and 2080 on other titles."

And "drivers suck" - try comparing the ORIGINAL 1080 Ti benchmarks with the first drivers to the R7 with its first drivers. But don't cry. Of course you won't, though. You're blind on that eye, it's obvious.

Whatever. I still hope to see a good AMD gpu in 2020 that can actually compete at the same price with the raw power and the amount of features of the RTX. One can hope, but one also has to open his eyes and admit the truth. Truth is: the R7 is NOT competitive to the RTX 2080. Not in those benchmarks.

EDIT: To all those not getting paid by AMD here: go and read up and watch the benchmarks. And then come back and read a special group of people trying to tell you "It's just the drivers". And then go back and read up what those people told you when AMD released the Bulldozer CPU... Yeah, funny, isn't it?

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo