Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA's "Difficult Quarter" Financials

Electronic Arts Reports Q3 FY19 Financial Results has the company's results for the period ending December 31, 2018. It can sometimes be difficult to tell whether such reports are positive or negative through the spin, but EA CEO Andrew Wilson comes right out and admits this was a "difficult quarter" for the company:

“The video game industry continues to grow through a year of intense competition and transformational change,” said CEO Andrew Wilson. "Q3 was a difficult quarter for Electronic Arts and we did not perform to our expectations. We are now applying the strengths of our company to sharpen our execution and focus on delivering great new games and long-term live services for our players. We’re very excited about Apex Legends, the upcoming launch of Anthem, and a deep line-up of new experiences that we’ll bring to our global communities next fiscal year."

"FIFA stands out as a robust franchise through a tumultuous year in the video game industry,” said COO and CFO Blake Jorgensen. “Elsewhere in the business, we’re making adjustments to improve execution and we’re refocusing R&D. Looking forward, we’re delighted to launch Anthem, our new IP, to grow Apex Legends and related Titanfall experiences, to deliver new Plants vs. Zombies and Need for Speed titles, and to add Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to our sports titles in the fall."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 10:15 Creston

Kain wrote on Feb 6, 2019, 09:50:
they have a scorched earth approach to the industry, constantly trying to position themselves to buy/extinguish studios once they're no longer useful as well as snapping up licenses so other publishers cannot. He said it was a soul crushing environment that exists only for the shareholders and that the company has zero creative aspirations at the management level.

That seems exactly in keeping with how they act. EA would love it if they were literally the only publisher left in town, so they could sell the same rehashed horseshit with MTX for $200 twice a year.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to talk Ajit Pai into outlawing all other publishers. I hear a crisp fiver buys his eternal goodwill.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 10:13 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 6, 2019, 09:22:
Speaking of gamers being dumb.. ;p

That sentence is a summary of their releases for the year. He's simply saying the Star Wars game is supposed to come out in the fall, which is the same time their yearly sports games also come out.

<- The joke
You

19. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 10:00 Beamer

TTWO just tanked, too.

Happy I sold last night.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 09:50 Kain

Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2019, 09:02:
So it's a sports title? And you'll just cancel it again anyway. Never before in the history of mankind has a license been so thoroughly fucking WASTED as when Disney gave you stupid idiots the Star Wars license.

Yeah it's pretty appalling what EA has done with it. I guess Disney doesn't care because they've already been paid but on the other hand you have to think it's doing some harm to the IP. Look at Spider-Man on the PS4, they could've been selling games like that which bolster the underlying IP and make money. EA has just completely squandered the opportunity at every turn but it plays into their ethos unfortunately. A friend of mine worked there and said they have a scorched earth approach to the industry, constantly trying to position themselves to buy/extinguish studios once they're no longer useful as well as snapping up licenses so other publishers cannot. He said it was a soul crushing environment that exists only for the shareholders and that the company has zero creative aspirations at the management level.

17. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 09:22 jacobvandy

Speaking of gamers being dumb.. ;p

That sentence is a summary of their releases for the year. He's simply saying the Star Wars game is supposed to come out in the fall, which is the same time their yearly sports games also come out.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2019, 09:32.

16. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 09:20 Wallshadows

Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2019, 09:02:
Never before in the history of mankind has a license been so thoroughly fucking WASTED as when Disney gave you stupid idiots the Star Wars license.

I'd say Warhammer gives it a good run but for the opposite reason. Games Workshop hands out their license to anyone who asks for it and, at best, will see one or two games a year get a positive return stacked against a mountain which don't.

EA may eventually lose the license but I fear Games Workshop will never learn their lesson when it comes to quantity over quality.

15. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 09:02 Creston

focus on delivering great new games

*snort* When have you fuckers EVER focused on that?

add Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to our sports titles in the fall

So it's a sports title? And you'll just cancel it again anyway. Never before in the history of mankind has a license been so thoroughly fucking WASTED as when Disney gave you stupid idiots the Star Wars license.

14. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 09:01 Spektr

Funluvncriminl wrote on Feb 6, 2019, 08:27:
"To add Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to our sports titles in the fall."
LOL I didn't know loot boxes was a sport.

Hehe unless it's a Star Wars lightsaber competition game I don't see how it can fit in a sports title category. E.A. Sports. It's not in the game.
Aye as you said they are getting that what they deserve. They are re-discovering a basic truth with economy. You can just go on selling poop in a gift wrap as long as people don't know what is inside.

13. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 08:27 Funluvncriminl

"To add Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to our sports titles in the fall."
LOL I didn't know loot boxes was a sport.

12. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 07:56 Dash

EA is a prime example when the suits get in power over everything. It's no longer about crafting a game that people will enjoy, but how much they can squeeze out of people, both consumers and creators.

Cut out most of the suits and keep the creatives.

11. removed Feb 6, 2019, 05:50 Suppa7

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 6, 2019, 10:12.

10. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 00:54 Kxmode

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 6, 2019, 00:41:
Hopefully they’re finally starting to feel the effects of their sleazy business practice. Fire the whole top layer without severance. The hard working devs can use that money to make a decent game.

They will. More microtransactions! Battle Royale everywhere! Battle Royale mobile games with microtransactions! Anthem Battle Royale with M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-MICROTRANSACTIONS! Crazy

I'm saying they'll double-down on their anti-consumer, greedy behavior instead of mending their ways because investor reasons.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

9. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 00:41 Steele Johnson

Hopefully they’re finally starting to feel the effects of their sleazy business practice. Fire the whole top layer without severance. The hard working devs can use that money to make a decent game.  

8. Re: EA's Feb 6, 2019, 00:05 ForgedReality

EA can suck down a can of pickled dicks. And Origin fucking SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS and is the mostest terriblest launcher in the history of launchers.

Dear EA, kindly fuck off and die of throat herpes.

7. Re: EA's Feb 5, 2019, 22:39 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 22:37:
"and to add Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to our sports titles in the fall"

VR exercise title?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

6. Re: EA's Feb 5, 2019, 22:37 eRe4s3r

"and to add Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to our sports titles in the fall"

What? Lootboxes and gambling in a Star Wars game?

5. Re: EA's Feb 5, 2019, 22:33 Kxmode

Good. That's the kind of payback they deserve for all their greedy shenanigans. "You do unto others as you would expect done upon you" as the saying goes.  

4. Re: EA's Feb 5, 2019, 22:28 Rhett

And here comes a F2P battle royale in a franchise people are still mourning, weeks (I think?) before Anthem launches, and a month before EA/DICE's Battlefield BR launches.

EA's askin' for a slappin'!

3. Re: EA's Feb 5, 2019, 21:38 CJ_Parker

Aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....  

2. Re: EA's Feb 5, 2019, 20:48 RedEye9

Stock down 16%. I feel sad. not  

there’s no education in the second kick of a mule

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer