Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off

Vince Zampella tweets about the success of yesterday's launch of Apex Legends. Word is the free-to-play battle royale hit the one million player threshold within the first eight hours of its launch: "Im so overwhelmed right now, @PlayApex broke a million unique players in under 8 hours. ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for showing up and being part of this with @Respawn you are amazing!!" There's also a post on reddit where Respawn recaps the launch. Word is to expect a small server patch this morning to address stability issues. They are also soliciting feedback:

The support and excitement for Apex Legends has been more than we could have imagined. The whole team is thrilled to see people loving the game as much as we do. We love the praise, but we also want to hear what could be better. A few things for example wed love your feedback on:

• How do weapons feel? Distinct? Samey?
  • Do Legend abilities feel effective?
  • Are you finding loot quickly enough? Is ammo too hard to find? Is a type of ammo feel to scarce?
  • What areas of the game could be explained better?
  • What do you wish Apex had that it doesnt
  • What are your favorite cosmetics?

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

36. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 17:33 jacobvandy

Squirmer wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 17:19:
So this game requires Origin and you can't play it with Steam, and yet there's no mass outrage from angry gamers with boycott threats and review bombing of Respawn's other games? Curious hey.

EA owns them now, and before that they had an exclusive publishing contract anyway. So they can't be review bombed because all of their games have been Origin exclusive and Origin does not have customer reviews.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Game Reviews Feb 5, 2019, 17:28 peteham

Jivaro wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 17:07:
Two classes hidden behind a paywall? There isn't a way to earn them by playing?
12.000 Legend Tokens or 750 Apex Coins ($7.50). Legend Tokens are earned through match XP. Can't really speak to the earn-rate; it's obviously going to be faster if you're good at the game and it could amount to a ludicrous grind for a normal player, for all I know. But it's certainly possible.

34. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 17:22 Kain

So this game requires Origin and you can't play it with Steam, and yet there's no mass outrage from angry gamers with boycott threats and review bombing of Respawn's other games? Curious hey.

You can link your Steam account and invite people directly through the Steam client actually.

33. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 17:22 Jivaro

I get your point but they didn't do any pre-orders through Steam and then go exclusive with a different store at the last moment...which is kind of key to the outrage. I personally couldn't give a shit less, but I thought it was worth pointing out. Nevertheless, the outrage in that situation is still ridiculous.

32. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 17:19 Squirmer

31. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 17:07 Jivaro

Two classes hidden behind a paywall? There isn't a way to earn them by playing?  

30. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 15:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 15:28:
Yeah I don't know, but I keep getting placed with random players who play like bots, don't res, run straight into enemy players and don't talk.

Im trying to stay positive here but what the actual fuck? How come you guys are having a better experience than I am?

Also, for a game that claims that it's not pay to win, two of the best classes in the game are currently only available if you shell out cash.

Thanks for your sacrifice, VaranDragon. Seriously, based on your feedback, I'll be skipping this game. Random Pub teammates are aggravating enough in BFV or any large scale team game, but 3v3v3~ ? Forget that shit, at least in my opinion.

29. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 15:28 VaranDragon

Yeah I don't know, but I keep getting placed with random players who play like bots, don't res, run straight into enemy players and don't talk.

Im trying to stay positive here but what the actual fuck? How come you guys are having a better experience than I am?

Also, for a game that claims that it's not pay to win, two of the best classes in the game are currently only available if you shell out cash.

28. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 15:21 Mordecai Walfish

I had a great bit of fun trying this out last night. Smooth as silk, no server issues.. it was a proper way to launch a game. The weapons feel punchy and satisfying, and I like the fast paced action quite a bit. Played with randoms trying to learn the game and weapons and whether they talked or not (about 50/50), I still felt I was learning and doing better in matches at my own pace. Not a single dickhead tryhard berating me or other people not doing good in our squads, and if that did happen you can just mute anyways, so no issues for me there. I really think Respawn hit a home run with this one, and if they can find a way to add a 'Titan' game mode in the future I would be all for trying that.. but the game is quite good as it is now.  

27. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 15:12 Byte

Really enjoying it, so far.

The size feels good, the amount of clutter/hiding areas is great. Havent really been able to play with all the weapons, but not too horrible in first bit of playing.

I definitely dig the jump mechanic, because it is so nice to not have people end up away from the group (unless they want to).

Curious to see how well it does

26. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 15:09 Osc8r

Kain wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 13:20:
The really puzzling thing here is Respawn launching this when Anthem is only a week or two away. I guess they are a wholly owned subsidiary or perhaps EA just deemed it different markets but I can't help feel like there's some overlap.

Not really competition in my eyes. Ones a PVE grinder and really expensive, ones PVP only and f2p.

Anthem vs Division 2 releasing right next to each other is a little more perplexing.

Though in this case they probably wanted to get Apex out before Battlefield BR stole the headlines.

It will be interesting to see if this game has any staying power in the BR genre, or whether everyone will head back to their favorite BR game within a month or two.

I still dont see the appeal, no mechs, forced teams of 3, and it just looks like blackout all over again. I'll give it a try at some point though...

25. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 15:07 VaranDragon

|RaptoR| wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 12:39:
I am really enjoying the game so far. Have about 15 matches in, playing solo (going to play with friends tonight) and getting matched with pubs so far hasn't been the worst thing in the world... yet.

My very first game I got into a match with two guys who were obviously on teamspeak or discord or couldn't be bothered to use the ingame voice/chat. I dropped us on the flying ship/thingy and the very first thing they did is loot all the weapons without dropping me even a single rifle or ammo for my peashooter that I picked up. The two then proceded to jump away without me, I followed them for a bit but they just went to random places and hid in houses. All the while not saying a damn thing or even typing something in chat.

Needless to say the very first team we ran into destroyed us while I was asking them over VoiP to at least spare me some light ammo. So I could...you know...shoot back.

Feeling that frustration on the very first match you play is terribly dissapointing...

Maybe it's a region thing. Im on the EU, so probably quite a few players can't understand english or bother with VoiP...

...is there a way to switch to NA servers? Does anyone know? I have a feeling I might actually do a bit better there...

24. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 14:30 Bard

Rhialto wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 12:08:
Was interested to have a look but I didn't want to install Origin.

Death Knell right there.

23. Re: Game Reviews Feb 5, 2019, 14:02 peteham

I guess Titans would be hard to balance. One-shot from afar by a heavy railgun isn't too much fun in a mode where you (barring a team rez) only get one life per game.

Speaking of team rez, it's the greatest thing. Back in PUBG we used to drop school/Pochinki out of sheer boredom with safe places (run around and loot nothing for 10 minutes, then get caught in a bad spot and get owned without hardly firing a shot). Problem is that in PUBG hotspots, usually only 1-2 guys of the 4 player squad would make it out alive. Options? Either suicide or play it out, with the dead guys then having to wait 10-15 minutes. That shit gets old and boring really fast for everyone. Blackout had the same problem though not quite as slow. Here they give you a chance of bringing back dead team mates (without gear) if you come out on top of a squad fight, and are able to make it to one of the rez stations. This also means you will usually face full squads in fire fights.

Other than that, feels as polished and smooth as Blackops and it's free to play. If they can keep the positive momentum/buzz going with some regular updates, balancing, maps, guns etc. (unlike Blackops which seems designed around not doing a thing until the inevitable full installment in a year), I think it has a lot going for it.

22. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 13:39 Kain

I can live without the mechs if the wall running is intact, best part of Titanfall IMO. Thanks for the info, I will check it out.  

21. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 13:37 Lucidity

Average match time: 10-15 min., there is wall running(Vertically). Apex is very fast paced, if you know how to utilize your skills and the map features. This game has hit the ground running and didn't miss a beat, full featured, no Early Access BS, Smooth as Silk.  

20. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 13:37 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 13:29:
Here is what I can't (or won't) get over...the thing that made Titanfall unique, and even fun, was mechs. So here they are, launching a new game in the franchise in an extremely competitive genre and they leave the one thing that makes the franchise unique out of the game? What am I missing?

That it's EA, and their suits are literally retarded?

19. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 13:33 Creston

Kain wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 13:02:
Creston wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 11:43:
Yes, yes, free to play game in a popular genre gets a ton of players off the bat, NEWS AT 11!

Let's see how many players you have two months from now.

They also paid Ninja to play it which pumped the Twitch numbers.

I think it looks like a genuinely good game though.

Oh, it very well might be, and two months from now they may have 5 million people playing it. But we've been through the "OMG WE GOT A MILLION PEOPLE ON DAY ONE WE'RE THE NEXT BEST THING TO SLICED BREAD!" hype before, and a month later nobody is playing that shit anymore.

18. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 13:29 Jivaro

Here is what I can't (or won't) get over...the thing that made Titanfall unique, and even fun, was mechs. So here they are, launching a new game in the franchise in an extremely competitive genre and they leave the one thing that makes the franchise unique out of the game? What am I missing?

17. Re: Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off Feb 5, 2019, 13:20 Kain

The really puzzling thing here is Respawn launching this when Anthem is only a week or two away. I guess they are a wholly owned subsidiary or perhaps EA just deemed it different markets but I can't help feel like there's some overlap.  

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo