Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Anthem Launch Plans

A post on the BioWare Blog looks "Onward to Launch" of Anthem, following the public demo of the upcoming action/RPG. BioWare's Chad Robertson is still sticking to the spin that the previous VIP demo was a success, saying "your response was again overwhelmingly positive." He looks at some Javelin customizations that caught their eye, and then talks a bit about plans to launch the game:

Our focus now shifts 100% to launch and beyond. Our development team is hard at work on finalizing our launch builds and beginning our countdown preparations. As I’ve mentioned previously, the launch version of the game has a long list of updates and improvements that were not in the demo builds. And, of course, launch will be the first time our community has access to the full game with all content.

There’s so much more than you saw in the demo and we can’t wait for you to play it. We’re also very hard at work on exciting post-launch content. You saw a small glimpse of it in the game Sunday. We’ll have much more to share on that soon.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 5, 2019, 13:47 Kain

There was a public demo offered too. I played and do not have Origin Access nor did I preorder.

I think it's more accurate to say that people will be paying to play a beta at launch based on what I've seen. But then again I am not a big believer in the magical "fix it all" retail patch so I guess we will see what happens.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2019, 13:41 Kxmode

Drayth wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 01:09:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 22:35:
Nobody played a demo build. They paid EA to test a beta build.

Uhm, it was free.

The VIP demo was only available to select media folks or those with an Origin Access subscription. So no, it was not free for the general public.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 5, 2019, 09:01 Angrius Maximis

Luke wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 03:42:
Now where have one seen that flying hero before......hmm did Microsoft make a game with this kind of flying around way back ...naa maybe not..........or

Too Human?

19. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 5, 2019, 09:01 Angrius Maximis

Apex Legend...yeah just what we need another boring clone of a game genre ...just like what Anthem is....

18. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 5, 2019, 08:44 Avus

Finally an AAA dev made a Free-to-play game with free-to-play mechanics... see no one is complaining

Finally a game made by AAA dev without early access BS, bilizion editions and launch days... see no one is complaining...

ops wrong game... this thread is not about Apex Legend

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

17. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 5, 2019, 08:38 Creston

Osc8r wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 23:55:
And aren't we in the era of AI now? Why are the AI in games still as braindead as ever, where the only challenge is the monsters endless HP bar? Why do i still need PVP to get dynamic engagements and an actual challenge?

/rant

Yeah the AI was terrible. Just truly awful. Several times in a boss fight, when I'd try to fly up to a cliff top and would crash because of the horrible controls, I'd land right in the middle of hordes of mooks and the boss himself, and they'd all kind of just mill about me ignoring me.

I guess if the AI was too smart they'd have to lower the enemy count (as you'd get murdered by dozens of smart AI firing on you at once), and "LOTS OF ENEMIES!" is a better back of the box quote than "SMART AI"?

None of this explains why there is no PvP, however. Not that I care about it at all, and it neatly sidesteps the shit issues that Destiny and Guild Wars have had to work with, where they'd constantly balance shit for the sake of PvP, thereby fucking over the PvE players, but at the same time it seems a little weird for a game like this to ship without it. The hardcore players aren't going to stick around just to shoot endless hordes of braindead mooks month after month.

16. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 5, 2019, 03:42 Luke

Now where have one seen that flying hero before......hmm did Microsoft make a game with this kind of flying around way back ...naa maybe not..........or  

15. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 5, 2019, 01:52 Nucas

having played the game, i'm skeptical of the final title but i'll still check it out for 15 bucks at launch.

if the gameplay isn't dynamite, it really depends on if the narrative hook (that thing i actually play bioware games for) is there; or if it's going to be a confused, boring afterthought like destiny.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2019, 01:09 Drayth

Kxmode wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 22:35:

Uhm, it was free.

13. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 4, 2019, 23:55 Osc8r

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 22:16:
Osc8r wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 21:45:

TBH i quite enjoyed my time with Anthem but it needs a LOT of work. I also need confirmation around the longevity/replayability of the game, mech advancement and what endgame actually involves.

So maybe a xmas sale buy.

If you are a looter/shooter type of person, if you get all the top one's, you should be able to cycle them to keep the content fresh. Picked up Strange Brigade for $16 on the Lunar Sale, fun co-op'er.

Thanks. Yeah, i enjoy shooters in co-op but i prefer if there's some challenge and actual advancement.

Running around doing the same content over and over or doing MMO style missions non stop just to be rewarded with gear that's only a slight improvement over what i already have doesn't do it for me anymore, and i saw quite a bit of that in the Anthem demo.

I didn't even finish Destiny 2, as that got hugely repetitive after a while and warframe was even worse.

I'm also waiting to see what The Division 2 is like, as the flight aspect of Anthem seemed more of a negative than anything (in it's current form).

And aren't we in the era of AI now? Why are the AI in games still as braindead as ever, where the only challenge is the monsters endless HP bar? Why do i still need PVP to get dynamic engagements and an actual challenge?

/rant

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 23:32 Kxmode

When is someone going to call this what it is? Nothing before 2/22 is the actual game. All of it is a glorified beta test to help BioWare with the REAL launch on 2/22. People don't realize they're paying EA to participate in this based on a tiered subscription.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

11. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 4, 2019, 23:20 Quinn

This Bioware guy sounds like me back when I was young and the first date absolutely sucked and I would desperately guarantee to the girl the next one would be much better!

Fucking cringy.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 22:35 Kxmode

9. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 4, 2019, 22:16 HorrorScope

Osc8r wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 21:45:

TBH i quite enjoyed my time with Anthem but it needs a LOT of work. I also need confirmation around the longevity/replayability of the game, mech advancement and what endgame actually involves.

If you are a looter/shooter type of person, if you get all the top one's, you should be able to cycle them to keep the content fresh. Picked up Strange Brigade for $16 on the Lunar Sale, fun co-op'er.

8. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 4, 2019, 21:45 Osc8r

Darks wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 19:52:
Drayth wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 19:06:
My time with the demo was decent. Sounds like they're going to address the majority of technical issues people had with it (that's a huge improvement over Bethesda calling theirs a beta even). My biggest peeve being the flight controls when in the air.

Core gameplay seemed solid enough. However I passed on both Destiny games, so others may be more burned out on the genre than I.

I think what a lot of people were not taking into account that this build was almost 2 months old, so yes there are a lot of updates to the game thats been done that we have not seen.

Plus they said there will be more updates coming in the next few weeks during and after launch.

Apparently the Age Of Conan beta build was 6 months old, so the full game was going to be bug free with lots of content!

7. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 4, 2019, 21:40 Creston

Also: At least Bioware's demo uninstalls properly. (fucking Bethesda)

6. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 4, 2019, 21:38 Creston

You saw a small glimpse of it in the game Sunday.

I did. I saw the fire thing in the sky. Never did see any of the Ancient ash titans, though.

Also, if your exciting post-launch content is "Bosses will spawn in the wild", I would advise you to rethink your plans.

5. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 4, 2019, 21:32 Steele Johnson

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 21:28:
I played this with a friend and his 13 year old son for a few hours... It was absolute agony. While I'm desperately trying to find a way to cut out and call it a night, the kid is in absolute ecstasy, having the time of his life.

I just have to accept that there's an audience for these games and I will never be a part of that demographic. I'd rather work a full day rather than subject myself to another hour of this game.

That bad? lol

"The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching." - Dave Chappelle

4. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 4, 2019, 21:28 BIGtrouble77

I played this with a friend and his 13 year old son for a few hours... It was absolute agony. While I'm desperately trying to find a way to cut out and call it a night, the kid is in absolute ecstasy, having the time of his life.

I just have to accept that there's an audience for these games and I will never be a part of that demographic. I'd rather work a full day rather than subject myself to another hour of this game.

3. Re: Anthem Launch Plans Feb 4, 2019, 20:44 jacobvandy

Darks wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 19:52:
I think what a lot of people were not taking into account that this build was almost 2 months old, so yes there are a lot of updates to the game thats been done that we have not seen.

That's no excuse.. If you can't have a demo ready that actually represents what the game is going to be like when it comes out, you shouldn't have one at all. Otherwise you can't complain when the bad impressions people get from an older build cause them to lose interest.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo