Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Bad game and bad half-time make Homer something, something. Congrats to Max the Canadian for winning our small Pro Football Playoffs and Big Game Bracket 2018-2019. Max was the only one to correctly pick the winner of the Super Bowl, so if you're not happy with the outcome, blame Canada. I'm not going to admit to sharing this unhappiness, but I'm not going to deny it either. Let's just say it's going to be at least a week before I will consider watching a sportscast, in the hopes that I can avoid experiencing the praise being heaped on the champs. Basically I'm just counting the days until the NFL Draft.

R.I.P.: Julie Adams Dead: ĎCreature From the Black Lagooní Star Dies at 92.
R.I.P.: 'Young & the Restless' Star Kristoff St. John Dead at 52.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Ascii world. Thanks Boing Boing.
DRAWER SIMULATOR. Thanks Digg.
Links: Zimmer: "Dark Knight" Score Was Too Loud.
This Dark Fan Film Gives Moon Knight A Well-Deserved Live Action Debut. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: Basquiat used invisible ink to make secret drawings in his paintings.
Media: Marvel Studios' Avengers- Endgame - Big Game TV Spot.
Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel - "Big Game" TV Spot.
Alita: Battle Angel - #SBLIII Commercial.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2019, 03:08 jdreyer

theglaze wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 10:38:
Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 10:00:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 09:47:
Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 07:13:
...It was a mediocre offensive showing against a pitiful offensive showing. Nothing broke or changed if one team scored, there weren't many big plays, and there wasn't even much time spent in the red zone waiting for one. It was a lot of 2 yard runs...
OR.. you could say it was a good defensive showing against a great defensive showing. Again, it is a matter of perspective. Big offensive plays are often, not always, simply a breakdown of the the defense. A missed coverage or a pick play or a corner bites on the short hook move and gets burned. If you knew what to look for/watch it was an impressive display, especially since it was a one score game except for the last two minutes. Any single slip up would change the game.

There's a difference between a good defense and a bad offense. This was more ineptitude. The Pats D isn't really all that great, and the Rams offense is pretty incredible. It was a Rams offense breakdown, which is kind of what you expect from a 3rd year QB in the Superbowl for the first time. Much like Mahomes totally broke down the game prior.

Better analogy: a boxing match! And dare I say it was like watching a Mayweather fight.

We saw two fighters go toe-to-toe but nullified each others strikes with blocks, deflections, and better defensive positioning. Pats maintained inner ring control, expertly managing the threat of the Rams by keeping them close to the ropes (poor field position).

Fan excitement comes from the unexpected, but this fight was too well managed for that to happen. It was Belichick's gameplan. We didnít see much counter-punching (picks or points off turnovers), mainly because we didnít see either fighter throw hail maryís.

We saw a safe, managed fight by Belichick. Yes itís impressive, but it sure as hell ainít much of a show.

I agree. When you look at the game as a whole, the sheer coaching ability of Belichick comes to the fore, but it's hard to see that play by play. Kudos to Edelman, but the Pat's defense is what won the game, and prep of Belichick and his coaching staff to know what to deploy when is an example of preparing and the defense executing a plan to perfection.

Without two weeks to prepare, I doubt the game would have gone this way. It's an argument that the week bye before the SB needs to go.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2019, 10:38 theglaze

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 10:00:
...It was a mediocre offensive showing against a pitiful offensive showing. Nothing broke or changed if one team scored, there weren't many big plays, and there wasn't even much time spent in the red zone waiting for one. It was a lot of 2 yard runs...
OR.. you could say it was a good defensive showing against a great defensive showing. Again, it is a matter of perspective. Big offensive plays are often, not always, simply a breakdown of the the defense. A missed coverage or a pick play or a corner bites on the short hook move and gets burned. If you knew what to look for/watch it was an impressive display, especially since it was a one score game except for the last two minutes. Any single slip up would change the game.

There's a difference between a good defense and a bad offense. This was more ineptitude. The Pats D isn't really all that great, and the Rams offense is pretty incredible. It was a Rams offense breakdown, which is kind of what you expect from a 3rd year QB in the Superbowl for the first time. Much like Mahomes totally broke down the game prior.

Better analogy: a boxing match! And dare I say it was like watching a Mayweather fight.

We saw two fighters go toe-to-toe but nullified each others strikes with blocks, deflections, and better defensive positioning. Pats maintained inner ring control, expertly managing the threat of the Rams by keeping them close to the ropes (poor field position).

Fan excitement comes from the unexpected, but this fight was too well managed for that to happen. It was Belichick's gameplan. We didnít see much counter-punching (picks or points off turnovers), mainly because we didnít see either fighter throw hail maryís.

We saw a safe, managed fight by Belichick. Yes itís impressive, but it sure as hell ainít much of a show.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2019, 10:32 Mr. Tact

I'll agree that Goff's inexperience was part of the Rams problems. Here is an example of that -- I saw a nice clip on one of the morning shows where they were talking about the NE defense on the play action pass downs. The Rams were running a play action pass with an over and under route. Prior to the snap the NE D showed what they called a "triple back" -- essentially three defensive players do a zone coverage of the deep field, each covering a third of the field. In this situation, the offensive play has an advantage (which is difficult to explain through the written word). So... advantage Rams, right?

But, after the snap when Goff turns to pretend to do a hand-off to the running back, his back is turned to the D. And they switch to a "quarters" which is four players covering the deep field, each responsible for one quarter of the field. This combination put the advantage back to the defense. And when Goff turns around, the defenders are not where he is expecting them to be and the receivers which would have been open, aren't. A more experienced QB might have been able to adjust, Goff couldn't.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

31. Firefox 65 Feb 5, 2019, 10:19 eRe4s3r

Already with bugs

"DARK THEME" and "LIGHT THEME" broken if your windows isn't set to a dark personalized color.

*slowclap*

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2019, 10:00 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2019, 09:47 Mr. Tact

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2019, 07:13 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 16:52:
Calling this a bad game is like calling a baseball game bad when a pitcher throws a no-hitter.

That's not really a good comparison. A no-hitter is a huge personal accomplishment, that could end at any moment. People enjoy watching them due to that tension, that one mistake, or one great play from the other team, could ruin the no-hitter.

There was no tension in this game. It was a mediocre offensive showing against a pitiful offensive showing. Nothing broke or changed if one team scored, there weren't many big plays, and there wasn't even much time spent in the red zone waiting for one. It was a lot of 2 yard runs.

And it ended the same way so many we've seen before have ended, with the Patriots winning. It doesn't even bother me to see Tom Brady win anymore, because he isn't changing anything by winning now. But it's dull. If every game on Nintendo ended with you running under Bowser to grab the key, that'd be boring, as well.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2019, 06:46 Nimh

theglaze wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 18:43:
It was boring, and if the viewership ratings are accurate, one of the worst turnouts in the last decade of Super Bowls.

That said, the championship games were, once again, a fascistic spectacle.

It was a match-up the majority of the country didn't want to see.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 22:35 Steele Johnson

Darks wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 10:47:
Thats because the Rams had no place in the game, The Saints would have won this game and destroyed the cheaters.

6 super bowl wins and people still think theyíre cheaters lol. Whatever makes you feel better- &#128540;

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 19:54 WarPig

However, more directly to your point Cutter -- it is a matter of perspective and a complete understand of the game. Many were expecting a "high flying, high scoring game", but that's what made the defensive stands all the more impressive. In a similar vein, a 0-0 soccer match can be boring -- but it isn't necessary so. Enjoying this Superbowl required understanding and appreciating the performance, of especially the New England defense, in preventing the opposing offenses from doing what they had been doing all season long.

Unfortunately, even the "experts" get it wrong sometimes. The MVP should have gone to Hightower or Gilmore -- and if it was allowed there would be good arguments to give it to NE's D line, or to Belichick for that matter...

I'm with you on every count Mr. Tact. Maybe you could argue that it wasn't "entertaining", but I found it quite compelling. And the baseball no-hitter analogy is exactly what I was saying during the game.

On the other hand, if it had been a blowout I would have definitely lost interest. As it was, I was glued to the screen - and I don't like either team.

GO SEAHAWKS!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 18:55 Mr. Tact

Lord knows the "majority" is never wrong...  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 18:43 theglaze

It was boring, and if the viewership ratings are accurate, one of the worst turnouts in the last decade of Super Bowls.

That said, the championship games were, once again, a fascistic spectacle.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 17:46 Mr. Tact

However, more directly to your point Cutter -- it is a matter of perspective and a complete understand of the game. Many were expecting a "high flying, high scoring game", but that's what made the defensive stands all the more impressive. In a similar vein, a 0-0 soccer match can be boring -- but it isn't necessary so. Enjoying this Superbowl required understanding and appreciating the performance, of especially the New England defense, in preventing the opposing offenses from doing what they had been doing all season long.

Unfortunately, even the "experts" get it wrong sometimes. The MVP should have gone to Hightower or Gilmore -- and if it was allowed there would be good arguments to give it to NE's D line, or to Belichick for that matter...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 17:38 Mr. Tact

Uh, look up. Blue did.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 17:19 Cutter

It wasn't a bad game, just a defensive one. Calling this a bad game is like calling a baseball game bad when a pitcher throws a no-hitter.

No one said it was a bad game, just a boring one. Everyone was expecting a high flying, high scoring game with these two teams and it was just pure grind of 3 and out moving up and down the field a few yards each way. It was like the WWI of football with the old trench warfare. I guess if you find that sort of thing exciting it was a very good game by those estimates but for the overwhelming majority of people it was like watching paint dry.

"Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 17:07 RedEye9

It wasn't a bad game, just a defensive one. Calling this a bad game is like calling a baseball game bad when a pitcher throws a no-hitter.
Americans equate excitement with scoring points, even MLB likes the recent uptick in homeruns.
We aren't savages* that get off on a soccer match ending 1-0. /sarcasm

*We are savages that like long term debilitating drain bamage causing sports

thereís no education in the second kick of a mule

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 16:52 Mr. Tact

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 15:12 jdreyer

Anyone interested in the new Hanna series?

I'm a huge fan of the movie, but part of that has to do with the inspired casting and locations. We'll see if the series is any good.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 15:07 Darks

jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 14:54:
Zimmer: "Dark Knight" Score Was Too Loud.

It was much worse for Interstellar. I couldn't even hear the dialog, and it wasn't just me.

Apparently they fixed it for BRD/digital release, however. I didn't notice the issue watching it again on Prime.

^ This

I was going to post the same thing, that movies music sucked, in general I dont care for music in movies, its always over the top loud. Hollywood has lost it touch on how to edit music into movies.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2019, 15:03 Kxmode

Star Trek Picard 2/4 updates:

On the series time frame, Patrick: "In returning to Star Trek later in the year, the one thing that will be different about this version of Star Trek is that we have simply moved the whole narrative 20 years from when I last wore Jean-Luc's uniform [Star Trek: Nemesis]. So, everything has aged. When the series gets released you will see things are very different than what they were."

On the series length, Patrick: "we are set up for possibly three years of this show, so if there is a film, it's a long way off."

On the series stories, Patrick: "It has to feel grounded, whatever choices we're making in the future, because I think one of the things that people love about 'Next Gen' is that it is a very emotional, thoughtful, grounded piece of entertainment... The easy thing to do is come up with crazy floating skyscrapers and all the cliches of science fiction, and we've tried to avoid that, across the board, in the production design and the look of it and the feel of it. It's all about the personal details that you can connect to now, even though it takes place so far in the future."

On Picard's character remaining Picard amidst the changes, Patrick: "Patrick was very clear to us in the beginning: He did not want to repeat what he had already done. And by the way, it's been 20-plus years so he couldn't possibly be that same person anymore. So the question becomes: What has happened to him in that period of time? Have there been occurrences that force him to reckon with choices that he's made in his life? How do you hold on to being the person everybody loved when the circumstances around you may have changed so radically? Those are the big questions that we're asking."

On a more character-driven show, Patrick: "It will be very different from Discovery, even more character-driven. Picard was radically affected by the dissolution of the [anti-Federation] Romulan Empire, and this series will explore a different chapter [of his life.] We aim to debut the show toward the end of the year."

A big YES from me! Inner Light remains my all-time favorite TNG episode and there was very little technology. Just great acting, great character development, and brilliant story. More like that and like DS9's In the Pale Moonlight would make the Picard series shine.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2019, 15:29.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo