Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC

A post to the GAMEINATOR forums from 4A Games discusses the controversy over the announcement that Metro Exodus on will be a timed exclusive sold through the Epic Games Store. This is written in the developer's native Russian, but DSOGaming notes that part of this includes the threat that if enough PC gamers boycott the first-person shooter sequel, the next installment in the series might skip the platform entirely. Here's a bit of the super-rough machine translation Google offered of that part of the post:
But! Consider the situation deeper. Someone says that they say they crap Exodus and the previous games in the series, it will make the world better, they will put greedy developers in their place. To this I can answer that in a pinch, if at all all the PC players announce a boycott of the Metro, then the next metro, if it does, is definitely not on the PC. Better or worse, decide for yourself. I personally feel sorry for the loyal fans, yes. But my assessment of the work done personally by me and my friends and colleagues will not change this. I firmly know that almost everyone who pours this dirt on the net is also incapable of a bit of what we have done and hopefully do more. And that means they have no idea what they are talking about.
View
117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

37. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 14:57 RedEye9

Thanks PC Gamers.
You only have yourselves to blame.
Hope you are proud.
sigh

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 14:43 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 14:26:
Last week on Blues: "I love this series, this looks so good!"

This week on Blues: "This looks like crap and I hope they go out of business!"

Well aren't you the stereotypical one. You know it is MUCH more nuanced than that. This week we have more information than we did last. Like last week the developer didn't say their game might skip PC due to bad PC sales. They forget the part where their publisher a "fortnite" (see what I did thar) before launch made the game exclusive to a shoddy platform that's had security breaches.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

35. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 14:39 Acleacius

I've lived 99.99999% of my life without Metro series, how will I ever carry on. Sniff Hahaha_no

Oh, from technical and financial perspective, it means they will give up 33% of their profits by excluding PC. This just because they got their feelings hurt, by fans who stood up to their shotty practices.

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

34. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 14:36 HoSpanky

Gas Bandit wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:30:
I didn't even want to install steam in the first place. I'm not installing EpicSteam or EASteam or UbiSteam or BlizzSteam on top of that. I put up with one already - the one with the most market share. As far as I am concerned, if it isn't on steam (or GOG which doesn't require me to run/keep open their marketplace software), I've done my due diligence and am in the clear to hoist the jolly roger.

Between greedy publishers trying to pull their stuff off netflix to force their own exclusive subscription services, and now PC game "exclusives," we're all set for a second golden age of piracy. Can't wait to play Satisfactory for free.

That’s not “due diligence”. That’s your way of trying to sound like you’re in the moral Right about stealing the work of a fairly small dev team. There’s any number of flimsy excuses for not paying for the hard work of others, and you’re the type of turd who goes looking for them. If you don’t like where a game is released, don’t play it. There is no valid excuse for piracy. You, personally, are the direct cause for crap like Denuvo.

And I bet you’ve said something dumb like “This game has Denuvo! I refuse to pay for that, so I’m gonna pirate it!”

33. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 14:33 StaTik

Oh no we won't get another cookie cutter worn out story fps on PC. What ever will we do!  

32. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 14:26 Beamer

Last week on Blues: "I love this series, this looks so good!"

This week on Blues: "This looks like crap and I hope they go out of business!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 14:25 Beamer

Gas Bandit wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:30:
I didn't even want to install steam in the first place. I'm not installing EpicSteam or EASteam or UbiSteam or BlizzSteam on top of that. I put up with one already - the one with the most market share. As far as I am concerned, if it isn't on steam (or GOG which doesn't require me to run/keep open their marketplace software), I've done my due diligence and am in the clear to hoist the jolly roger.

Between greedy publishers trying to pull their stuff off netflix to force their own exclusive subscription services, and now PC game "exclusives," we're all set for a second golden age of piracy. Can't wait to play Satisfactory for free.

You kinda sound like the greedy one here...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 14:13 Rummy

Totally agree. Thank-you.  

29. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 14:07 Dacron

SirKnight wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:49:
"I know what we'll do! If they boycott us we'll just not put the game on PC and will miss out on all those extra millions of dollars! That'll show 'em! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!"

LOL

The jokers are clueless. I never really cared much for the previous metro games anyway.

Yep, bargain bin games. Pretty, but not very fun.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2019, 13:50 Acleacius

Kxmode wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:35:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:17:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:10:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:04:
@ledhead1969 your obviously a spy/spook/plant, no one has mentioned any of those things, nor does that have anything to do with what's going on.

Mind if I call you putin jr?

ledhead1969 joined Aug 14, 2003 and has 460 comments. You join Jan 10, 2000, and have 4,957. I'm pretty certain neither of you are spies, spooks or plants. ledhead1969 is merely voicing his opinion of the situation. If they differ from yours that doesn't automatically mean s/he must be a plant.
I was focusing on putin jr's post, not how long or how many posts. The message was completely incoherent, referring to things not even said or implied by anyone who has posted. It partially looks like a language issue, which normally wouldn't be a problem. However under the circumstances it's clear I was making a snarky joke? putin jr? :-crickets-:

Blues News comes with a wide assortment of emojis to convey "snarky joke." Highly recommend using it because a comment like "your obviously a spy/spook/plant" isn't an obvious snarky joke without the context of an winky emoji. Unfortunately communicating with words misses all the nuances of verbal face-to-face communication.
True but technically wouldn't a spy/spook/plant have a second account? As I mentioned the language issue and the fact that the post seemed to contain nothing pertaining to the conversation.

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

27. Re: Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 13:40 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:04:
Is that the fault of the publisher for making the boneheaded decision to make Exodus exclusive on an unproven platform with a small fraction of Steam's customer base, or the player's fault for venting their anger at the publisher for doing this two weeks before launch? I'm going to side with the customers on this. I'm not cool with the review bombing older Metro games but I also understand their frustration for doing it. The bottom line is this is entirely Deep Silver's fault.

Horrorscope Likes this post.

26. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 13:38 HorrorScope

Right he's not wrong in that the general audience overstates all the time. But they brought this one on themselves and couldn't foresee the problem they created and then a bit of a threat. We're all guilty to some level, but they made this one be a thing. They didn't just do damage to the game, but to the publisher as well.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2019, 13:35 Kxmode

Acleacius wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:17:
@ledhead1969 your obviously a spy/spook/plant, no one has mentioned any of those things, nor does that have anything to do with what's going on.

ledhead1969 joined Aug 14, 2003 and has 460 comments. You join Jan 10, 2000, and have 4,957. I'm pretty certain neither of you are spies, spooks or plants. ledhead1969 is merely voicing his opinion of the situation. If they differ from yours that doesn't automatically mean s/he must be a plant.
I was focusing on putin jr's post, not how long or how many posts. The message was completely incoherent, referring to things not even said or implied by anyone who has posted. It partially looks like a language issue, which normally wouldn't be a problem. However under the circumstances it's clear I was making a snarky joke? putin jr? :-crickets-:

Blues News comes with a wide assortment of emojis to convey "snarky joke." Highly recommend using it because a comment like "your obviously a spy/spook/plant" isn't an obvious snarky joke without the context of an winky emoji. Unfortunately communicating with words misses all the nuances of verbal face-to-face communication.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

24. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 13:30 Gas Bandit

23. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 13:22 Cutter

Then they won't be around much longer as a company if they're dumb enough to lose millions of potential sales over something so stupid as selling an exclusive on a storefront no one knows or trusts. Too bad so sad.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2019, 13:18 Kxmode

necrosis wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:58:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:54:
VaranDragon wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:50:
necrosis wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:48:

Yeah because segregating the player base is a fantastic idea. Especially doing it after a decent preorder run a week or two before release. Any way you slice it that is really bad form.

And you say its scummy to hurt the developers.

Segregating the playerbase? What are you on about?

Segregating the player base into level-headed, reasonable gamers and Steam elitist mongrels is what he meant most likely.
Ahh yes. Sling insults and group everyone into the same bucket. Nice comeback.

Also, calling Steam users "elitists" when Steam is open to everyone and has the majority of PC gamers. I wouldn't consider myself a "mongrel" because I prefer Steam over other platforms. That's called brand-loyalty and people do that all the time with cars, technology, sports, and politics.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2019, 13:17 Acleacius

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2019, 13:10 Kxmode

ledhead1969 joined Aug 14, 2003 and has 460 posts. You joined Jan 10, 2000, and have 4,957 posts. I'm pretty certain neither of you are spies, spooks or plants. ledhead1969 is merely voicing their opinion of the situation. If they differ from yours that doesn't automatically mean s/he is a plant.

19. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 13:10 Mr. Tact

Pretty sure Trump has dibs on that name...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 13:04 Acleacius

117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >