Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC

A post to the GAMEINATOR forums from 4A Games discusses the controversy over the announcement that Metro Exodus on will be a timed exclusive sold through the Epic Games Store. This is written in the developer's native Russian, but DSOGaming notes that part of this includes the threat that if enough PC gamers boycott the first-person shooter sequel, the next installment in the series might skip the platform entirely. Here's a bit of the super-rough machine translation Google offered of that part of the post:
But! Consider the situation deeper. Someone says that they say they crap Exodus and the previous games in the series, it will make the world better, they will put greedy developers in their place. To this I can answer that in a pinch, if at all all the PC players announce a boycott of the Metro, then the next metro, if it does, is definitely not on the PC. Better or worse, decide for yourself. I personally feel sorry for the loyal fans, yes. But my assessment of the work done personally by me and my friends and colleagues will not change this. I firmly know that almost everyone who pours this dirt on the net is also incapable of a bit of what we have done and hopefully do more. And that means they have no idea what they are talking about.
View
117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

57. Re: Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:43 NKD

"You can't boycott us, we quit!"

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:42 Vulkan

Sometimes I wonder if people- both the players and the developers, forget that at the end of the day it's just a bunch of videogames that they're bickering about, glorified expensive toys made for entertainment.

It's not oxygen or water or something I need to sustain myself so don't worry mr. Developer, I'll be fine if they don't end up on PC and I can't play them anymore.

55. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:32 WaltC

In ten years time, the original Xbox, up through Xbox 360, sold 75 million consoles--in a decade. In a bad year, PCs sell 30 million a *month,* year in and year out, month after month after month. PCs dominate. (xBox and and PS4 are x86 AMD PC's internally.) The console-vs.-x86PC war is long over--PCs won--there is nothing else. The only hardware decisions for people to make today are whether to go cheap on their hardware (consoles) or spend more money and get more ( with powerful PC's.) It's all x86. ANd it's all over.

The funny thing about all of this is why would any game dev think that it would be only PC owners doing the boycotting? The consoles are all x86, too, and can boycott as easily as anyone else.

Game developers should concentrate on *pleasing* their customers as opposed to ticking them off. Trying to ignite some silly console-vs-PC war is 15-20 years out of date, and fairly stupid, besides...;) Sure, you can make a conscious decision to "skip" the PC--and you can also make a conscious decision to file bankruptcy, too...;) Silly talk. Companies that do not know that "the customer is always right" don't last long, imo...;)

In fact--that negative, silly rant at PC owners might have been written by Cliffy B., eh? Most definitely...;)

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

54. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:31 ChangWizzle

Their choice. Just as it is mine, to wait a year and decide if its worth my money. I'm not "boycotting", but I'm not compelled to buy it via Epic either. If they choose to go full console with the next, well thats on them.  

53. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 2, 2019, 16:30 Mordecai Walfish

Steam needs competition, and while this was a kind of shady way to pull this last minute, I think it will be a good thing in the end. I do not doubt for a second this was the work of Epic bribing its way to another exclusive with that sweet fortnite loot they've been throwing around to devs to push out freebies every couple weeks in their platform and give users more value to opening the client. When Steam was first released people hated it and heralded the end of gaming as we know it as a result of the big baddies at Valve, but now we are actively petitioning games to be released on it that are releasing elsewhere.

The only thing I don't like is the Tencent involvement. That part spooks me more than any tribalistic nonsense could.

52. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:27 El Pit

LOL! The game might turn out to be great, but the real disaster is happening even before its release.

Publisher: "If you don't buy it where we tell you to, we will shoot a young kitten!"

Hilarious. Maybe 4A Games intended the threat of skipping pc gaming altogether as a joke, but if you're walking in a minefield, you definitely shouldn't start jumping around like a kangaroo just because it looks funny.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

51. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:16 Simon Says

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 15:21:
Way less than that. The big AAA publishers all report ~15% of their sales on the PC, the rest is conslows and mobile. The PC version is nearly negligible for them. That's why they can quite comfortably "threaten" to go console exclusive.

Incorrect,

The console and PC markets are almost equal in market shares. Source

The Consoles comprise 25% of the market share, PC 24%, with mobile king at 51%. ( 2018 numbers )

They can't afford to ignore half their target market and they know it.

They're just throwing a temper tantrum.

50. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:16 Wesp5

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 15:18:
Look what all the whiny babies did now. Good job! Gamers continue to ruin gaming by complaining about everything.

I completely agree. I never understood how Steam fanboys can be as blind to the bad sides of this monopoly! Their reaction now is as if they wouldn't buy a game because they can't get it at WalMart and need to go to GameStop instead. Only they don't even need to go anywhere, just install a new client which nobody who loves Steam running always in the background should really care about...

49. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:06 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 15:35:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 15:29:
Got to disagree, most information I've seen show PC, Xbox and Playstation are about equal in sales. I highly doubt sales have shifted so much while PC sales have been on the rise, at least until 2019.

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 16:47:
Beamer wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 16:13:
Great article with stats on the global games market, including growth, by type (free to play vs premium) and by device.

Of course, "global" isn't perfectly fit for the users here, as China skews this great.

Click.
Global video game revenue by platform (% of total):
1) Mobile - $61B (56%)
2) PC - $36B (33%)
3) Console - $13B (11%)
Expect 2 and 3 to flipflop in the near future with consoles overtaking PCs. Probably the only reason it has not is because of the 15yr ban China placed on consoles.

The glory days of triple AAA pc gaming are coming to an end. (has that ever been said before Wink )

He said AAA PC gaming. The relatively high PC percentage you quoted there is Candy Crush and Korean MMOs. That's not AAA. That's casual garbage.

If you look at the financial reports of all the big publishers who make AAA conslow games then you can see that the PC is always at ~15% average in the sales by platform category (sometimes 20% when there is a new Battlefield or Anno release in a certain quarter and sometimes it drops closer to 10% when there is a huge conslow exclusive... it all results in a ~15% average).

48. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:02 Lorcin

I'd respect them more if they'd just said "they offered a shit-ton of money to do this. We knew you lot would bitch but we're in business to make money."  

47. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 15:35 RedEye9

Acleacius wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 15:29:
Got to disagree, most information I've seen show PC, Xbox and Playstation are about equal in sales. I highly doubt sales have shifted so much while PC sales have been on the rise, at least until 2019.

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 16:47:
Beamer wrote on Jan 25, 2019, 16:13:
Great article with stats on the global games market, including growth, by type (free to play vs premium) and by device.

Of course, "global" isn't perfectly fit for the users here, as China skews this great.

Click.
Global video game revenue by platform (% of total):
1) Mobile - $61B (56%)
2) PC - $36B (33%)
3) Console - $13B (11%)
Expect 2 and 3 to flipflop in the near future with consoles overtaking PCs. Probably the only reason it has not is because of the 15yr ban China placed on consoles.

The glory days of triple AAA pc gaming are coming to an end. (has that ever been said before Wink )

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

46. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 15:29 Acleacius

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

45. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 15:21 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 14:39:
Oh, from technical and financial perspective, it means they will give up 33% of their profits by excluding PC. This just because they got their feelings hurt, by fans who stood up to their shotty practices.

Way less than that. The big AAA publishers all report ~15% of their sales on the PC, the rest is conslows and mobile. The PC version is nearly negligible for them. That's why they can quite comfortably "threaten" to go console exclusive.

Secondly, they made billions the day they announced pulling the game from Steam because gamers rushed to squeeze in their last minute $60 preorder. They probably would have never ever made that many full price, full $60 sales without the Epic store deal.

They have also made tons of cash from the Epic deal itself and I'm sure it's not only THQ Nordic/Deep Silver who got money but the devs got their share, too, or they would be singing a different tune.
For Epic it was probably pocket change. Whatever they spent on this deal was prolly less than a week of Fortnite profit$.

The game will come to Steam next year and I'm betting for near full price or even the full $50/$60 because they will call it 'enhanced edition' or something like that with a few additional features or a DLC included to up the average sales price back towards $50/$60.

Beyond that you can safely count on more re-releases. There will be the inevitable Redux version at some point to resell the game yet again at a higher price and there will, of course, be a huge re-release on the next gen conslows (PS5 et al)... maybe they will actually hold off on the Redux until then.

Bottom line is that none of the parties involved here is going to take a significant financial hit. 4A are smart folks. They know exactly that the addicted kiddie gamers will get the game from Epic and that the sheeple will also swallow a $50 Steam release next year.
They have nothing to lose. The vast majority of the action (easily 80%+) will happen on conslows anyway.

44. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 15:18 Steele Johnson

Look what all the whiny babies did now. Good job! Gamers continue to ruin gaming by complaining about everything.  

43. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 15:09 Simon Says

This is one Epic snowflake meltdown ( pun intended ).  

42. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 15:03 RedEye9

The outrage continues...  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

41. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 15:02 Alamar

How are they going to determine how many perceived lost sales are due to the boycott... Or lack of interest in the stores it's available on... Or a reaction to this quality Public Relations response ; )

I'm so over over-react culture... Shit is tiring.

Buy the shit you like, don't buy the shit you don't... But stop demonizing every little fucking thing people, or companies, or whatever, do, because you want to make some sales, likes, karma, views, whatever...

40. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 15:01 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 14:26:
Last week on Blues: "I love this series, this looks so good!"

This week on Blues: "This looks like crap and I hope they go out of business!"

so true

39. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 14:58 Acleacius

Just an FYI post in case anyone has a taste for Post Apocalyptic gaming due to all the talk lately. Consider this Freaking Amazing series for Fallout 4.
We are talking 50+ hours of new content, areas and companions. Afaik, everyone agrees they are better than bethesda vanilla content.
This guy has to be a industry developer, no way this is just some regular modder. Hell, don't get me started on the companions and the voice acting. Lighter
Project Valkyrie

Here's a brief about the possibilities like completely ignoring the main quest and bringing peace to all 4 factions.
Alternate Ending Variations: Play-through Guide

Here's an image of the current mods in the series and they have 2 more continuing story DLCs in the works, with the next one due around August.
Series mod list

Haha, Pimp and Raider quests, ftw! Mwahaha

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

38. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 14:58 RedEye9

Quinn wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:56:
I understand this completely. Fucking asshole PC gamers whining about every fucking thing. I never -- never! -- understood the complaining about Steam or Origin or Uplay. Or Epic Store. If shit works and I can play my games... I'm good.
If ever a service dies and I am without the games I bought, I don't care for them anymore anyway. If I do... They will be on sale somewhere for 50 cents.

Cry me a fucking river.
QFT

117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >