Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC

A post to the GAMEINATOR forums from 4A Games discusses the controversy over the announcement that Metro Exodus on will be a timed exclusive sold through the Epic Games Store. This is written in the developer's native Russian, but DSOGaming notes that part of this includes the threat that if enough PC gamers boycott the first-person shooter sequel, the next installment in the series might skip the platform entirely. Here's a bit of the super-rough machine translation Google offered of that part of the post:
But! Consider the situation deeper. Someone says that they say they crap Exodus and the previous games in the series, it will make the world better, they will put greedy developers in their place. To this I can answer that in a pinch, if at all all the PC players announce a boycott of the Metro, then the next metro, if it does, is definitely not on the PC. Better or worse, decide for yourself. I personally feel sorry for the loyal fans, yes. But my assessment of the work done personally by me and my friends and colleagues will not change this. I firmly know that almost everyone who pours this dirt on the net is also incapable of a bit of what we have done and hopefully do more. And that means they have no idea what they are talking about.
View
117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

77. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 00:47 Hippie

Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 20:42:
I mean what the actual fuck? Threatening your fan base now? That's it for me - I was going to buy Exodus when it came out on Steam, but now they can kiss my ass. As far as I'm concerned they are dead.

EDIT: Oh, and a nice big, fat, juicy "Fuck You" to all the corporate apologists in this forum and elsewhere who blame gamers for this instead of the developers. I'm sure your corporate overlords will reward your loyalty in defending their shitty behavior by continuing to bend you over and ream you while you thank them for it.

I'm going to quote this too just so it stays up top. 100% agree

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 22:58 SirKnight

I mean what the actual fuck? Threatening your fan base now? That's it for me - I was going to buy Exodus when it came out on Steam, but now they can kiss my ass. As far as I'm concerned they are dead.

EDIT: Oh, and a nice big, fat, juicy "Fuck You" to all the corporate apologists in this forum and elsewhere who blame gamers for this instead of the developers. I'm sure your corporate overlords will reward your loyalty in defending their shitty behavior by continuing to bend you over and ream you while you thank them for it.

+1,000,000 to that.

The apologetic corporate nut swingers on here need to get a clue. It's not that the Steam users don't see or understand the monopoly going on with Steam (which yes we need competition of course) or are whiny little brats. The issue here is not having consumer choice on where to buy the game, like we have with physical games (mainly console these days though). Having it listed on Steam for months and pre-order for who knows how long, then all of a sudden with little warning taking it off is BS. Why not just leave it on Steam and put it on Epic in addition so we could have the choice? Doing this would make gamers happy and not want to boycott and the devs would get more money than they would otherwise.

But then when people display backlash due to these anti-consumer practices, the devs pull out threats and these corporate nut swingers then belittle everyone that's complaining in addition...it's just fucked up. Complaining about bad behavior from a company is a good thing, not something to look down upon. When a company fucks up, we need to let them know that they can't get away with the bullshit. We won't put up with it.

What we need are games on multiple stores, not just one and then have to have 20 different clients/accounts for all the games. So far almost no one (except GoG) has been giving Steam any competition. The other stores sell their own games that's only available there. It's pretty much like how movie/tvshow streaming is right now. You gotta have accounts with many services to get all the content you want. That's lame and annoying.

75. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 22:16 NKD

I don't know whats been going on around here lately but we got some bootlickers up in here. Seems like only yesterday people here would SHIT on shady exclusivity deals and strongly support refusing to buy those titles. Now you get called a whiny bitch for telling people trying to push those deals to fuck off.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

74. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 22:11 Agent.X7

I came into this thread to comment, but Prez summed it up nicely for me. 100% agree.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

73. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 21:24 Muscular Beaver

Task wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 21:11:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 20:58:
Something quite stereotypical for Russians.

4A Games is a Kiev, Ukrainian/Maltese studio. Additionally the publisher is Austrian.
You dont seem to know a lot about Russian culture.
Culture in Ukraine doesnt differ much from Russia. No matter how much the MSM want to make you believe the opposite since the Ukraine conflict.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

72. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 21:11 Task

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 20:58:
Something quite stereotypical for Russians.

4A Games is a Kiev, Ukrainian/Maltese studio. Additionally the publisher is Austrian.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

71. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 20:58 Muscular Beaver

So far all exclusive releases on these new markets have been a disaster, even for long awaited and hyped games.
This wont be different, if at all worse, because they actually dared to attack their customers for criticizing. Something quite stereotypical for Russians. Remember the shit with Escape from Tarkov.

Well, I never liked Metro anyway. Either the controls were messed up or you couldnt turn off annoying effects like motion blur.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

70. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 20:42 Prez

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2019, 21:01.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

69. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 20:01 wtf_man

Gas Bandit wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:30:
I didn't even want to install steam in the first place. I'm not installing EpicSteam or EASteam or UbiSteam or BlizzSteam on top of that. I put up with one already - the one with the most market share.

This.

GOG, and if I'm desperate because it's not on GOG or probably won't be for many years... Steam.

No more bullshit DRM launchers.

I've actually converted a huge chunk of my Steam games to GOG.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

68. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 19:57 Task

Sigh. Look what y'all did.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

67. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 19:49 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:31:
LOL, this is going to go over well. Always a great move to piss off your fanbase even more.

"You think the dumpster fire is big now? Wait until I add all this gasoline!"

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

66. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 19:47 jdreyer

LOL. I think there's an Aesop Fable similar to this.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

65. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 19:23 jamiedj99

Good they kinda make shit games anyways oen more reason to wait till the game is wait fuck that never buying this shit and playing there dumb gay ass game  

64. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 19:09 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 16:16:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 15:21:
Way less than that. The big AAA publishers all report ~15% of their sales on the PC, the rest is conslows and mobile. The PC version is nearly negligible for them. That's why they can quite comfortably "threaten" to go console exclusive.

Incorrect,

The console and PC markets are almost equal in market shares. Source

The Consoles comprise 25% of the market share, PC 24%, with mobile king at 51%. ( 2018 numbers )

They can't afford to ignore half their target market and they know it.

They're just throwing a temper tantrum.

*sigh*

Why do you post a link to some global bullshit when the topic at hand is still a AAA game? T-r-i-p-l-e A. Understand? AAA. AAA. AAA.

We therefore need to look at what share of revenue a typical AAA publisher is making from PC sales. For example and coincidentally EA (Q1/2019 financial report) and Ubi (annual 2018 report) both reported 18% sales on PC (for EA it includes browser so the pure PC percentage might be 1% - 2% lower).
If you google for Actiblizz (and subtract the WoW numbers) or Take2 you will find strikingly similar numbers. They are all between 10% and 20%.

So, IF 4A/THQ decided to totally skip the PC for a future Metro game then it is reasonable to assume that they would possibly miss out on ~15% to 20% of their sales revenue.
This could be mitigated by more aggressive console marketing (e.g. timed exclusivity deal with Sony for PS5) or a higher general average sales price so that skipping the PC would only be of marginal relevance.

63. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 19:09 eRe4s3r

I think that this is a great response, if your intention is to fuel the shit-storm

Also on a meta level this is the dumbest shit I ever read. EPIC (PC gaming is dead because of piracy bla bla) makes a PC store, causes PC developer to go to consoles because of exclusivity deal that the PUBLISHER negotiated. Ye couldn't make this shit up if you tried.

I guess there is a reason most publishers take away ALL posting privileges of developers

62. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 19:09 Beamer

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 15:21:
Way less than that. The big AAA publishers all report ~15% of their sales on the PC, the rest is conslows and mobile. The PC version is nearly negligible for them. That's why they can quite comfortably "threaten" to go console exclusive.

Incorrect,

The Consoles comprise 25% of the market share, PC 24%, with mobile king at 51%. ( 2018 numbers )

They can't afford to ignore half their target market and they know it.

They're just throwing a temper tantrum.

C'mon, Simon. You know the flaws here:

1) We're not looking at the same markets that we live in.

2) We're including China, which has no console market to speak of (they just became legal)

3) This isn't apples to apples

Compare the sales of a AAA game on consoles to on PC, you won't see it come remotely near this survey (which I posted last week.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

61. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 18:15 hoolaparara

Now that would be an Epic outcome for PC gaming!  

60. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 17:48 Squirmer

Incorrect,

That's the entire market, but not all games will have that same split. E.g. Ubisoft's latest financial report says 65% of their sales were from the two major consoles, and only 18% from PC. For games like Metro, CJ_Parker's 15% figure for PC is pretty accurate.

59. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:53 Riahderymnmaddog

Muahh, wait until they hear the outrage from the console players crying that the game is broken because it cant get 1080p and 60fps on their shitty consoles, with bland low resolution textures.  

58. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 16:52 Acleacius

Wesp5 wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 16:16:
Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 15:18:
Look what all the whiny babies did now. Good job! Gamers continue to ruin gaming by complaining about everything.

I completely agree. I never understood how Steam fanboys can be as blind to the bad sides of this monopoly! Their reaction now is as if they wouldn't buy a game because they can't get it at WalMart and need to go to GameStop instead. Only they don't even need to go anywhere, just install a new client which nobody who loves Steam running always in the background should really care about...
I really don't see anyone fanboying here do you? Most of us aren't even talking about Steam but the problem of what the developer/publisher have done. No one thinks Steam is perfect, not sure where you getting this idea.

OT: Btw, I don't dispute Mobile is king, but obviously they don't get these games.

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >