Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC

A post to the GAMEINATOR forums from 4A Games discusses the controversy over the announcement that Metro Exodus on will be a timed exclusive sold through the Epic Games Store. This is written in the developer's native Russian, but DSOGaming notes that part of this includes the threat that if enough PC gamers boycott the first-person shooter sequel, the next installment in the series might skip the platform entirely. Here's a bit of the super-rough machine translation Google offered of that part of the post:
But! Consider the situation deeper. Someone says that they say they crap Exodus and the previous games in the series, it will make the world better, they will put greedy developers in their place. To this I can answer that in a pinch, if at all all the PC players announce a boycott of the Metro, then the next metro, if it does, is definitely not on the PC. Better or worse, decide for yourself. I personally feel sorry for the loyal fans, yes. But my assessment of the work done personally by me and my friends and colleagues will not change this. I firmly know that almost everyone who pours this dirt on the net is also incapable of a bit of what we have done and hopefully do more. And that means they have no idea what they are talking about.
View
117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

97. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 09:28 necrosis

Spektr wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 09:05:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 06:10:
consumers willing to pay $60 for a game). My guess is "very few."

Who's ever been willing to pay $60 for a game? No-one. Well except maybe those who can afford to pay that price. Most people paying this amount do because they don't have a choice. They always choose the cheap alternative if there is one.
Epic selling the game for $50 does not mean I will buy from them. Would rather spend $60 and get it from Steam.

Microsoft Store could have it for $10 and I would still buy it for $60 on Steam.

So no. People will not "always" chose the cheap alternative.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

96. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 09:05 Spektr

Jerykk wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 06:10:
consumers willing to pay $60 for a game). My guess is "very few."

Who's ever been willing to pay $60 for a game? No-one. Well except maybe those who can afford to pay that price. Most people paying this amount do because they don't have a choice. They always choose the cheap alternative if there is one.

95. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 08:58 Spektr

Well games are cheap enough already. You think they could be even cheaper? Probably so but then to be honest I don't have time to play all the games I am buying. Better share for developers is important though, as it means happier developer it can only give them better pay and maybe more games being created on the PC platform.
Except I am pretty sure it won't make a difference. Big game studios ( the evil ones) don't need steam and employees will still be paid with a sling because they know it's a young developer's dream to workin this industry. For mid-range studios it might more interesting because they have their own followers, they have a reputation (makers of Metro Exodus) and it's more complicated to sell them on their own. Well they are probably the kind of studios that are more likely to make good PC games. But those studios usually already work on PC platform. Then you have indie developers, those one need all the audience they can have and they can't afford to be Epic exclusives. So all in all more pay for developers is good but won't make such a big difference for gamers and not that much of a difference for developers either.
Oh and good luck to Metro developers making quality FPS for Consoles. Have fun.

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 04:20:
Hippie wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 00:47:
Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 20:42:
I mean what the actual fuck? Threatening your fan base now? That's it for me - I was going to buy Exodus when it came out on Steam, but now they can kiss my ass. As far as I'm concerned they are dead.

EDIT: Oh, and a nice big, fat, juicy "Fuck You" to all the corporate apologists in this forum and elsewhere who blame gamers for this instead of the developers. I'm sure your corporate overlords will reward your loyalty in defending their shitty behavior by continuing to bend you over and ream you while you thank them for it.

I'm going to quote this too just so it stays up top. 100% agree

Oh grow the fuck up. Booohooo a developer threatened to not make any games for me anymore. They are dead to me! Boohooo. *sniff*

What are you 12? What the actual fuck. I really thought the crowd here on Blues was a little bit more mature and sensible when it came to this hobby than most other places, turns out they are entitled cry babies just like everywhere else.

Oh and before you throw me into the corporate apologist "bin" think about the subject like a goddamn adult. This is NOT about Metro Exodus. It's not about this particular developer. It is about the Epic store. Even if you never install another online storefront other than Steam, the success of the Epic Store will directly affect you, and it is in your interest they succeed. Why? Because Valve will be forced to lower their prices (or their share of their cut) to compete.

While right now at the beginning there will be a lot of exclusivity deals, a few years down the road it will be in every developers interest to sell their games on as many of these store-fronts as possible.

94. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 08:47 El Pit

"To sell out, or not to sell out, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them."
(4A Games)

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

93. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 08:05 hoolaparara

I'm just glad Epic and Microsoft are here to save PC Gaming!  

92. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 06:58 Prez

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 04:20:
I mean what the actual fuck? Threatening your fan base now? That's it for me - I was going to buy Exodus when it came out on Steam, but now they can kiss my ass. As far as I'm concerned they are dead.

EDIT: Oh, and a nice big, fat, juicy "Fuck You" to all the corporate apologists in this forum and elsewhere who blame gamers for this instead of the developers. I'm sure your corporate overlords will reward your loyalty in defending their shitty behavior by continuing to bend you over and ream you while you thank them for it.

Oh grow the fuck up. Booohooo a developer threatened to not make any games for me anymore. They are dead to me! Boohooo. *sniff*

What are you 12? What the actual fuck. I really thought the crowd here on Blues was a little bit more mature and sensible when it came to this hobby than most other places, turns out they are entitled cry babies just like everywhere else.

Oh and before you throw me into the corporate apologist "bin" think about the subject like a goddamn adult. This is NOT about Metro Exodus. It's not about this particular developer. It is about the Epic store. Even if you never install another online storefront other than Steam, the success of the Epic Store will directly affect you, and it is in your interest they succeed. Why? Because Valve will be forced to lower their prices (or their share of their cut) to compete.

While right now at the beginning there will be a lot of exclusivity deals, a few years down the road it will be in every developers interest to sell their games on as many of these store-fronts as possible.

Ah yes, the tired "I don't agree with you so you're a big baby" insult. Get some new material. And no, this isn't about the epic store as much as it is about exclusivity. Even if it was exclusive to Uplay or Origin, two vastly superior platforms to Epic's, I would be against it. But if you want to be a lickspittle for the developer who threatens its fan base like a petulant toddler (ACTUAL childish behavior) then I know basically all I need to know about you. So sod off.

My big fat juicy fuck you definitely goes to you.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2019, 07:14.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

91. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 06:29 Jonjonz

Hey if they want to get out of the most lucrative market on the planet, let them shoot themselves in the foot.

This generation of whiner publishers has no clue.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

90. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 06:24 Bopper

I have no problem getting it on Epic store if it means the devs get a bigger cut and it forces Steam to up their game.  

- Boppa

89. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 06:10 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 02:32:
Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:22:
Then they won't be around much longer as a company if they're dumb enough to lose millions of potential sales over something so stupid as selling an exclusive on a storefront no one knows or trusts. Too bad so sad.

Besides the 10 million Fortnite users, you mean.

The question is how many of those Fortnite players can actually be converted into premium consumers (i.e. consumers willing to pay $60 for a game). My guess is "very few." EGS will end up like all the other platforms that rely solely on exclusivity for their appeal (Uplay, Origin, Bethesda.net, etc). People will only use it to play the games that require it. On top of that, EGS exclusivity is timed so that tactic is even less effective.

88. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 04:20 VaranDragon

87. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 03:37 jdreyer

It doesn't feel right to have a 100 comment story without an appearance by Derek Smart.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

86. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 03:33 jdreyer

SirKnight wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 22:58:

+1,000,000 to that.

The apologetic corporate nut swingers on here need to get a clue. It's not that the Steam users don't see or understand the monopoly going on with Steam (which yes we need competition of course) or are whiny little brats. The issue here is not having consumer choice on where to buy the game, like we have with physical games (mainly console these days though). Having it listed on Steam for months and pre-order for who knows how long, then all of a sudden with little warning taking it off is BS. Why not just leave it on Steam and put it on Epic in addition so we could have the choice? Doing this would make gamers happy and not want to boycott and the devs would get more money than they would otherwise.

But then when people display backlash due to these anti-consumer practices, the devs pull out threats and these corporate nut swingers then belittle everyone that's complaining in addition...it's just fucked up. Complaining about bad behavior from a company is a good thing, not something to look down upon. When a company fucks up, we need to let them know that they can't get away with the bullshit. We won't put up with it.

What we need are games on multiple stores, not just one and then have to have 20 different clients/accounts for all the games. So far almost no one (except GoG) has been giving Steam any competition. The other stores sell their own games that's only available there. It's pretty much like how movie/tvshow streaming is right now. You gotta have accounts with many services to get all the content you want. That's lame and annoying.

Should I boycott Safeway b/c they don't carry my fav beer, but Whole Foods does? That's fucking ridiculous.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

85. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 03:25 jdreyer

Gas Bandit wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:30:
I didn't even want to install steam in the first place. I'm not installing EpicSteam or EASteam or UbiSteam or BlizzSteam on top of that. I put up with one already - the one with the most market share. As far as I am concerned, if it isn't on steam (or GOG which doesn't require me to run/keep open their marketplace software), I've done my due diligence and am in the clear to hoist the jolly roger.

Between greedy publishers trying to pull their stuff off netflix to force their own exclusive subscription services, and now PC game "exclusives," we're all set for a second golden age of piracy. Can't wait to play Satisfactory for free.

This is as dumb a fucking bullshit excuse as I have ever read. Steam, GoG, and Epic store are nothing like Netflix, Amazon Prime, or CBS Streaming. For games, you pay one price at a store, and you get a game. If Walmart (1 mile from your house) loses distribution of your favorite laundry detergent, and you have to go to Target (1 mile from your house) to buy it, you're paying nothing extra. You just have to go to a different store, something you do every week when your usual store doesn't carry your favorite beer or jerky brand. Streaming subscription services make you pay for a bunch of shit you don't want or need in order to get that one show you do want to watch. Not comparable.

Seriously, if you pirate games just because its not in your favorite store, you're the biggest scum of the earth asshole on this forum.

84. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 03:07 jdreyer

Alamar wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 15:02:
How are they going to determine how many perceived lost sales are due to the boycott... Or lack of interest in the stores it's available on... Or a reaction to this quality Public Relations response ; )

When Epic hands you a $10M check, you cease to care.

83. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 03:01 Quinn

Nidian wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 02:33:

LOL! Damn... I could not convey my feelings about all this any better. Quoting because I also 100% agree with it.

If corporate assholes, the publishers, decide to sell the game not on Steam but on kinda-Steam and the whole PC gaming commuity goes nuts and boycot not only Exodus but all earlier Metro games like a bunch of autists, I understand this big, fat, juicy FUCK YOU from the DEVELOPERS toward us. Just chill the fuck down. It is borderline insanity how those PC gamers are acting because the game isn't sold on their favorite store. Motherfucking idiots.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

82. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 02:33 Nidian

LOL! Damn... I could not convey my feelings about all this any better. Quoting because I also 100% agree with it.

81. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 02:32 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:22:
Then they won't be around much longer as a company if they're dumb enough to lose millions of potential sales over something so stupid as selling an exclusive on a storefront no one knows or trusts. Too bad so sad.

Besides the 10 million Fortnite users, you mean.

80. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2019, 02:29 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:10:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:04:
@ledhead1969 your obviously a spy/spook/plant, no one has mentioned any of those things, nor does that have anything to do with what's going on.

Mind if I call you putin jr?

ledhead1969 joined Aug 14, 2003 and has 460 posts. You joined Jan 10, 2000, and have 4,957 posts. I'm pretty certain neither of you are spies, spooks or plants.

Actually they could be. Russia plays the long game. Go watch The Americans, then we'll talk.

79. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 02:18 CJ_Parker

So far almost no one (except GoG) has been giving Steam any competition. The other stores sell their own games that's only available there.

This bullshit again... Rolleyes

First, GOG's "competition" is laughable, a joke, a kneeslapper, a big one.

GOG is making $40 million annual revenue *. Steam's annual revenue is estimated to be $4bn. This means that GOG is making 1% of Steam's revenue. 99% vs. 1% is hardly "competition". It's lol-worthy at best.

Secondly, Origin is not only selling EA games but also tons of 3rd party games including indies. EA's quarterly revenue on PC is fluctuating between $150 million and $210 million in the past five quarters.
The bulk of this revenue is certainly not retail but Origin sales, i.e. EA is making at least THREE times more revenue on Origin PER QUARTER than GOG is making in a YEAR.

Ubi is only selling Ubi titles but even they dwarf GOG. They posted total net bookings of €746 million for the first half of their 2018/2019 FY.
According to the press release 17% of that action took place on PC so Ubi made about €126 million ($144 million) from PC sales in those six months, i.e. once again more than THREE times as much as GOG but in HALF the time.

In the world of digital stores GOG is a drop in the ocean and far, far, far behind their "competition".

* P.S.: The $40 million annual for GOG was in 2017. In the first nine months of 2018 they only made ~$24 million revenue, i.e. ~$8 million/quarter on average. To hit 2017's measly $40 million they are going to have to knock Q4 out of the park with $16 million, i.e. twice as much moolah as the previous quarters.

BTW, according to CDP's reports the bulk of their GOG revenue is from GWENT sales so whatever revenue they are making from sales of the actual "good old games" or 3rd party DRM-free games must be really pathetic.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2019, 02:32.

78. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 01:35 Red886

EDIT: Oh, and a nice big, fat, juicy "Fuck You" to all the corporate apologists in this forum....

qft

gonna add that too many are thinking about US only, when this is an international PC release, where everybody involved in sales will tell you no one in BRICS (-C) + USAN will buy the game at USD 60 or even USD 45.

and if they are genuinely pro-corporate, they should recognize that losing SO many sales outside of the US by such practices is completely idiotic.

(ps. someone, literally 1 person, must have taken a juicy bonus from EPIC for exclusivity)

117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >