Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC

A post to the GAMEINATOR forums from 4A Games discusses the controversy over the announcement that Metro Exodus on will be a timed exclusive sold through the Epic Games Store. This is written in the developer's native Russian, but DSOGaming notes that part of this includes the threat that if enough PC gamers boycott the first-person shooter sequel, the next installment in the series might skip the platform entirely. Here's a bit of the super-rough machine translation Google offered of that part of the post:
But! Consider the situation deeper. Someone says that they say they crap Exodus and the previous games in the series, it will make the world better, they will put greedy developers in their place. To this I can answer that in a pinch, if at all all the PC players announce a boycott of the Metro, then the next metro, if it does, is definitely not on the PC. Better or worse, decide for yourself. I personally feel sorry for the loyal fans, yes. But my assessment of the work done personally by me and my friends and colleagues will not change this. I firmly know that almost everyone who pours this dirt on the net is also incapable of a bit of what we have done and hopefully do more. And that means they have no idea what they are talking about.
View
117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

17. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 13:04 Kxmode

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:48:
Chill people. This is google translate and the sarcasm is lost in it. All he's saying is that if Metro Exodus doesn't sell well on the PC platform a sequel won't be made for the platform. Which is par for the course for ANY developer or publisher of ANY game.

Seriously there is a 0% chance of this happening and the developers know this. They are just making fun of the sad but vocal minority who feel that they are entitled to everything, just because.

Is that the fault of the publisher for making the boneheaded decision to make Exodus exclusive on an unproven platform with a small fraction of Steam's customer base, or the player's fault for venting their anger at the publisher for doing this two weeks before launch? I'm going to side with the customers on this. I'm not cool with the review bombing older Metro games but I also understand their frustration for doing it. The bottom line is this is entirely Deep Silver's fault.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 13:04 CJ_Parker

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:01:
Quinn wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:56:
I understand this completely. Fucking asshole PC gamers whining about every fucking thing. I never -- never! -- understood the complaining about Steam or Origin or Uplay. Or Epic Store. If shit works and I can play my games... I'm good.
If ever a service dies and I am without the games I bought, I don't care for them anymore anyway. If I do... They will be on sale somewhere for 50 cents.

Cry me a fucking river.

Well I CAN and DO understand the complaining about Origin and Uplay. These are publisher store-fronts that exist to sell their own games EXCLUSIVELY.

Factual bullshit. Origin has been selling hundreds of 3rd party titles for ages. Get a clue. Nothing EXCLUSIVE (especially not in CAPS) about it at all.

15. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 13:01 VaranDragon

Quinn wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:56:
I understand this completely. Fucking asshole PC gamers whining about every fucking thing. I never -- never! -- understood the complaining about Steam or Origin or Uplay. Or Epic Store. If shit works and I can play my games... I'm good.
If ever a service dies and I am without the games I bought, I don't care for them anymore anyway. If I do... They will be on sale somewhere for 50 cents.

Cry me a fucking river.

Well I CAN and DO understand the complaining about Origin and Uplay. These are publisher store-fronts that exist to sell their own games EXCLUSIVELY.

AFAIK what Epic want's to do with their store is akin to what Valve did for Steam. Make it a Storefront for all developers and publishers. Which is completely different from Origin and Uplay and in the end can only be good for gamers! (Competition in this segment is good for us!)

14. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:58 necrosis

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:54:
VaranDragon wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:50:
necrosis wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:48:

Yeah because segregating the player base is a fantastic idea. Especially doing it after a decent preorder run a week or two before release. Any way you slice it that is really bad form.

And you say its scummy to hurt the developers.

Segregating the playerbase? What are you on about?

Segregating the player base into level-headed, reasonable gamers and Steam elitist mongrels is what he meant most likely.
Ahh yes. Sling insults and group everyone into the same bucket. Nice comeback.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2019, 12:57 Kxmode

So the fix to combat negativity from PC exclusivity is to go full CONSOLE exclusivity on the next game? Well, that'll go over well.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:56 Quinn

Cry me a fucking river.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

11. removed Feb 2, 2019, 12:54 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 2, 2019, 19:15.

10. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:50 aka_STEVE

"IF" and thats a big IF , the story is true - I would say the Dev is being more of a snowflake than anyone else, threatening to take their ball & go home if people dont like them.

Unless that guy wants to be the next Cliffy B of Russia , never crap all over the people who got you where you are & are passionate about buying / playing your game....

9. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:50 VaranDragon

necrosis wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:48:

Yeah because segregating the player base is a fantastic idea. Especially doing it after a decent preorder run a week or two before release. Any way you slice it that is really bad form.

Segregating the playerbase? What are you on about?

8. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:49 SirKnight

"I know what we'll do! If they boycott us we'll just not put the game on PC and will miss out on all those extra millions of dollars! That'll show 'em! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!"

LOL

The jokers are clueless. I never really cared much for the previous metro games anyway.

7. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:48 necrosis

ledhead1969 wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:43:
Dev is totally right. Especially this part "I firmly know that almost everyone who pours this dirt on the net is also incapable of a bit of what we have done and hopefully do more. And that means they have no idea what they are talking about."

But muh 'Steeeeeeaaaaammmmmm'...who has been screwing over fans/dev with inflated prices and % for over a decade.

Game is going to be awesome, preordered. If they release on next gen only, so be it.

As gaming dorks you all should be supporting Devs like this instead of tearing them down because you like a particular distribution policy.

Yea yea, "it's only $2 savings/gains here or there" or "I'll gladly pay bloated Gabe $10 more so my friends list is available".

Just listen to yourselves. Don't buy it if you disagree with their policy but trying to hurt the devs, who poured their hearts out developing the game (with all the sacrifice to family that entails) is pretty scummy. Yet typical for snowflake nation.

...queue melting snowflake screams below. Ready. Set. Go.

6. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:48 VaranDragon

Chill people. This is google translate and the sarcasm is lost in it. All he's saying is that if Metro Exodus doesn't sell well on the PC platform a sequel won't be made for the platform. Which is par for the course for ANY developer or publisher of ANY game.

Seriously there is a 0% chance of this happening and the developers know this. They are just making fun of the sad but vocal minority who feel that they are entitled to everything, just because.

5. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:44 necrosis

Do something that you could have to be an idiot to not know it will piss off the fan base. Then when they act negatively (and rightfully so) you threaten them with more shit to piss them off.  

4. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:43 ledhead1969

Dev is totally right. Especially this part "I firmly know that almost everyone who pours this dirt on the net is also incapable of a bit of what we have done and hopefully do more. And that means they have no idea what they are talking about."

But muh 'Steeeeeeaaaaammmmmm'...who has been screwing over fans/dev with inflated prices and % for over a decade.

Game is going to be awesome, preordered. If they release on next gen only, so be it.

As gaming dorks you all should be supporting Devs like this instead of tearing them down because you like a particular distribution policy.

Yea yea, "it's only $2 savings/gains here or there" or "I'll gladly pay bloated Gabe $10 more so my friends list is available".

Just listen to yourselves. Don't buy it if you disagree with their policy but trying to hurt the devs, who poured their hearts out developing the game (with all the sacrifice to family that entails) is pretty scummy. Yet typical for snowflake nation.

...queue melting snowflake screams below. Ready. Set. Go.

3. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:39 Acleacius

Yes, because no console player would feel the same?

This proves the developer is in on this bullshit, what an idiot.

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

2. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:37 Titus

Russian diplomacy at it's finest  

1. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:31 Creston

LOL, this is going to go over well. Always a great move to piss off your fanbase even more.

117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >