Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC

A post to the GAMEINATOR forums from 4A Games discusses the controversy over the announcement that Metro Exodus on will be a timed exclusive sold through the Epic Games Store. This is written in the developer's native Russian, but DSOGaming notes that part of this includes the threat that if enough PC gamers boycott the first-person shooter sequel, the next installment in the series might skip the platform entirely. Here's a bit of the super-rough machine translation Google offered of that part of the post:
But! Consider the situation deeper. Someone says that they say they crap Exodus and the previous games in the series, it will make the world better, they will put greedy developers in their place. To this I can answer that in a pinch, if at all all the PC players announce a boycott of the Metro, then the next metro, if it does, is definitely not on the PC. Better or worse, decide for yourself. I personally feel sorry for the loyal fans, yes. But my assessment of the work done personally by me and my friends and colleagues will not change this. I firmly know that almost everyone who pours this dirt on the net is also incapable of a bit of what we have done and hopefully do more. And that means they have no idea what they are talking about.
View
117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

117. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 4, 2019, 11:33 FloorPie

Overall, having exclusives on PC is a net negative for PC gamers, the customers in the long run. I understand why some devs/pubs want to try Epic's store. The payoffs and 12% are enticing for them. One year exclusives are not. Nor are developers like the Rebel Galaxy dudes who dance around the obvious, you got paid off. Just admit it, don't lie that it benefits anyone but devs/publishers in the short to medium term. Also, one more launcher program is annoying but not the end of the world.

3 games I'm interested in, two of which (Genesis Alpha and RebelGalaxyOutlaw) are single player games. Likely day 1 or week 1/2 purchases for me on GOG for DRM free. Now, no go due to no DRM free. See you in 1-2 years if ever at bargin bin prices. Satisfactory hurts almost as bad but its multiplayer. Time will tell (testing it now) but I don't know if I'll bother with it on Epic either on the principle of hating exclusives where ever they may be.

Division2 makes even less sense to go exclusive because it really isn't exclusive with Uplay required and Epic store has none of the benefits Steam does that would make me buy it on Steam over Uplay. Its just another store I have to link accounts with (ha ha, epic and uplay security). All that did was guarantee I buy it cheaper through official key seller stores that have pre-order or post release deals (on many digital stores).

Metro Exodus is the worst simply because they pulled it off steam two weeks before release. Oh, but you can keep your pre-orders and have 12-24 hours to get one in if you want it on Steam or wait a year. How magnanimous. $10 cheaper in the US only doesn't mean much when the publishers can't ink a deal until two weeks before release. I don't even care about developer making a supposed threat about quitting PC games due to a boycott. Go for it, you're on Epic's store so its fitting. Just more whinging from either side. Dumb venting. Big deal.

But that two week notice of going one year exclusive? Yeah, fuck you publishers and any developers going this way. We all know that unless Epic lets key seller stores like GMG, Humble, Gamersgate, Amazon, Origin, DLGamer etc. in the door you have a price monopoly/control on Epic Game Store.

After all the drama made with free game codes with PC hardware in the past two years where Nvidia/AMD/Intel etc. make you jump through hoops to activate your free game to avoid grey market reselling by the public don't tell me that you publishers and devs don't care about price control.

This whole thing is such an utter shit show and waste of time. Fucking narrow sighted greedy publishers and devs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

116. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 4, 2019, 10:22 RedEye9

Xero wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 10:07:
To me, it all comes down to having all these damn gaming services installed, running together. Multiple friends lists, multiple notifications, multiple achievements in different services, multiple locations of installations of files.
I play games for the game, not for the "service". It's immaterial to me the service that holds any particular game.
As for having them running all the, I don't. Ubi, steam etc.. only startup when i launch a game.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

115. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 4, 2019, 10:07 Xero

To me, it all comes down to having all these damn gaming services installed, running together. Multiple friends lists, multiple notifications, multiple achievements in different services, multiple locations of installations of files.

I mean yeah, in the end, it's probably nothing to get bitchy about, but for the OCDs in us, we like keeping everything under one umbrella, lol.

I don't care about this game, so I don't care what happens with it and the service it's on, I'm just chiming in on the overall picture, lol.

Yes, I've become a Steam whore. But it's also because 95% of my games are sitting on that platform...

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

114. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 4, 2019, 02:17 Prez

Sid Alpha's Take
Skip to 1:25 to avoid unnecessary blathering

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

113. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 4, 2019, 00:54 jdreyer

Red886 wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 11:16:
from reading this thread, i see so many ppl has kowtowed under the corporate overlords for so long that that has become the natural position to take

Please remain where you are. Two units of the Steam Thought Police have been dispatched.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

112. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 4, 2019, 00:51 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 10:54:
I guess I'm just not getting the exact, logical reasoning for the amount of ragespew I have read in this thread so far.

It's a game, right? One you are not legally or morally obligated to purchase?

If a person chooses to artificially limit their choice to a monolithic delivery system then, by their own decision, they are then limiting themselves to the available products that the aforementioned delivery system offers.

Now, I get that the marketing from Deep Silver was a touch deceptive by advertising that it would be available on Steam and then changing it to be an Epic exclusive quite near the release date. If you don't like it, and you purchased it on Steam, refund your pre-order and move on with your life. Don't buy the game...ever. Don't give an incentive to the publisher to continue the behavior.

Then carry on with your life and go enjoy other entertainment products. No one is entitled to anything, especially when you've had no hand in its creation. You literally have no vested interest in the success or failure of the product. You can't claim your enjoyment of something that hasn't even been released as a "vested interest". You may have enjoyed the previous games and, as far as I can tell, there is nothing stopping you from continuing to enjoy the previous games on the platform from where you purchased them.

I also don't see the point in devolving in to ad hominem attacks. Satire and lampooning is fine but personally insulting one another is what causes the deaths of communities.

I've enjoyed BN for, well, close to 20 years. I'd like us to stay together and not fracture in to the kind of tribalistic bullshit you see on sites like Reddit.

Say it with me:

It's just a game and whatever the outcome of it, it does not personally endanger me in any way. We all love gaming here, that is why we are here. Let's remember that.

You make no sense. Why enjoy entertaining myself when I can be angry instead?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

111. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Feb 3, 2019, 21:29 Shineyguy

Prez wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 12:53:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 12:07:
aka_STEVE wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 10:56:
100 comments !! -- & it's not even about Star Citizen ...
Popcorn
So far there are over 300 posts on related Metro topics. Great free advertising for the game which up until now most people had nothing bad to say about it.

Much ado about nothing.

There was a lot more discussion about some of the controversial aspects of Battlefield 5 - it sold poorly compared to previous Battlefields. Guess free advertising doesn't always work. And for this supposedly being "much ado about nothing" you certainly seem to want to post a lot about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWVWbfLqno

I have a problem with the sales metrics for Battlefield 5. Namely EA also introduced Origin Access Premier, which allows you to access that game, in addition to the rest of their catalog.

I cancelled my preorder for BFV, and subbed to Origin Access Premier when it launched. Been a good choice IMO considering the state of BFV.

110. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 19:06 Prez

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 18:32:
Prez wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 17:40:
Yong Yea's take. Pretty much the same as Jim Sterlings
JFC listening to Sterling cry about it being a pia to install a launcher, that was laughable. If Yong's take is just as non-sensical I'll pass.
oh, i'm scared of the launcher.
What a nothing bergerd.
But thanks for sharing.

You either are flat-out trolling (again) or have extraordinarily bad comprehension skills. That wasn't his point. Like, at all. Are you trying to make it to my block list? No one can be this annoying by accident, can they?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

109. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 18:32 RedEye9

Prez wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 17:40:
JFC listening to Sterling cry about it being a pia to install a launcher, that was laughable. If Yong's take is just as non-sensical I'll pass.
oh, i'm scared of the launcher.
What a nothing bergerd.
But thanks for sharing.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

108. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 17:58 ventry

Oh no!
The snowflakes are melting.(probably a good thing for those in certain parts of the USA)

If the game is good will be buying it.
End of story.

107. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 17:40 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

106. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 16:49 Jerykk

Spektr wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 09:05:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 06:10:
consumers willing to pay $60 for a game). My guess is "very few."

Who's ever been willing to pay $60 for a game? No-one. Well except maybe those who can afford to pay that price. Most people paying this amount do because they don't have a choice. They always choose the cheap alternative if there is one.

$60 is the standard price for AAA games on all platforms. Therefore, there obviously must be many people paying that price.

That said, the exact amount is largely irrelevant to my point. Whether it's $30 or $60, the vast majority of Fortnite players aren't going to pay it. They play Fortnite because it's a F2P multiplayer game. They have no interest in premium single-player games.

105. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 12:53 Prez

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 12:07:
Popcorn
So far there are over 300 posts on related Metro topics. Great free advertising for the game which up until now most people had nothing bad to say about it.

Much ado about nothing.

There was a lot more discussion about some of the controversial aspects of Battlefield 5 - it sold poorly compared to previous Battlefields. Guess free advertising doesn't always work. And for this supposedly being "much ado about nothing" you certainly seem to want to post a lot about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWVWbfLqno

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2019, 13:06.

- Mahatma Gandhi

104. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 12:07 RedEye9

Popcorn

Much ado about nothing.

103. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 11:20 RedEye9

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:48:
Chill people. This is google translate and the sarcasm is lost in it. All he's saying is that if Metro Exodus doesn't sell well on the PC platform a sequel won't be made for the platform. Which is par for the course for ANY developer or publisher of ANY game.

102. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 11:16 Red886

from reading this thread, i see so many ppl has kowtowed under the corporate overlords for so long that that has become the natural position to take  

101. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 10:56 aka_STEVE

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

100. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 10:54 Burrito of Peace

I guess I'm just not getting the exact, logical reasoning for the amount of ragespew I have read in this thread so far.

It's a game, right? One you are not legally or morally obligated to purchase?

If a person chooses to artificially limit their choice to a monolithic delivery system then, by their own decision, they are then limiting themselves to the available products that the aforementioned delivery system offers.

Now, I get that the marketing from Deep Silver was a touch deceptive by advertising that it would be available on Steam and then changing it to be an Epic exclusive quite near the release date. If you don't like it, and you purchased it on Steam, refund your pre-order and move on with your life. Don't buy the game...ever. Don't give an incentive to the publisher to continue the behavior.

Then carry on with your life and go enjoy other entertainment products. No one is entitled to anything, especially when you've had no hand in its creation. You literally have no vested interest in the success or failure of the product. You can't claim your enjoyment of something that hasn't even been released as a "vested interest". You may have enjoyed the previous games and, as far as I can tell, there is nothing stopping you from continuing to enjoy the previous games on the platform from where you purchased them.

I also don't see the point in devolving in to ad hominem attacks. Satire and lampooning is fine but personally insulting one another is what causes the deaths of communities.

I've enjoyed BN for, well, close to 20 years. I'd like us to stay together and not fracture in to the kind of tribalistic bullshit you see on sites like Reddit.

Say it with me:

It's just a game and whatever the outcome of it, it does not personally endanger me in any way. We all love gaming here, that is why we are here. Let's remember that.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

99. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 3, 2019, 10:25 RedEye9

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 04:20:
Hippie wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 00:47:
Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 20:42:
I mean what the actual fuck? Threatening your fan base now? That's it for me - I was going to buy Exodus when it came out on Steam, but now they can kiss my ass. As far as I'm concerned they are dead.

EDIT: immature rant

I'm going to quote this too just so it stays up top. 100% agree

Oh grow the fuck up. Booohooo a developer threatened to not make any games for me anymore. They are dead to me! Boohooo. *sniff*

What are you 12? What the actual fuck. I really thought the crowd here on Blues was a little bit more mature and sensible when it came to this hobby than most other places, turns out they are entitled cry babies just like everywhere else.

Oh and before you throw me into the corporate apologist "bin" think about the subject like a goddamn adult. This is NOT about Metro Exodus. It's not about this particular developer. It is about the Epic store. Even if you never install another online storefront other than Steam, the success of the Epic Store will directly affect you, and it is in your interest they succeed. Why? Because Valve will be forced to lower their prices (or their share of their cut) to compete.

While right now at the beginning there will be a lot of exclusivity deals, a few years down the road it will be in every developers interest to sell their games on as many of these store-fronts as possible.

98. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 3, 2019, 10:19 RedEye9

Task wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 19:57:
Sigh. Look what y'all did.
Yep, we reap what we sow.

117 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >