Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Anthem Open Demo Live

EA announces that, as promised, everyone can now access the open demo for Anthem, BioWare's upcoming mechanized action/RPG. The demo is available on Origin and here's what to expect:

Itís finally time to get hands on with Anthem. The Anthem Open Demo runs from February 1-3, 2019, and itís your chance to jump into a javelin and explore the beauty and chaos of the world youíve heard so much about. Progress from the VIP Demo carries over to the Open Demo, so players who joined the VIP Demo will get to jump in right where they left off Ė with all four of their javelins in the forge.

Take a second to check out these four things you can expect from the Anthem Open Demo.

1. Visiting Fort Tarsis
    The Open Demo starts in Fort Tarsis, the walled city that you call home in Anthem. Itís your hub for everything youíll need between missions -- itís also a space where you are protected from dangerous forces that torment the outside world. In Tarsis, you can visit the Forge and customize your javelin with loot you pick up on missions, or head to other locations in the fort Ė like the Enclave, the Bar, or the Arcanist Lab. This will be where you get to know the characters of Anthem, who will be around to chat, though their contracts (special in-game missions) will not be available.
  2. Your Own Javelin to Personalize (Two of Them, Actually)
    In the Open Demo, youíll start out as a level 10 pilot with a fully equipped javelin of your choice. You can unlock a second javelin of your choice (either Ranger, Colossus, Storm, or Interceptor) at level 12. Your level will be capped at level 15 for the Open Demo. Since you have access to the Forge, youíll also be able to personalize your javelins and change your loadouts to equip any new gear or weaponry you get on missions.

The earn rates on XP, Items, and Coin have been adjusted to give you a full Anthem experience over the relatively short timeframe of the Open Demo. Youíll also be given some Coin in the demo so you can have the chance to purchase and equip cosmetics.
  3. Embarking on Expeditions
    Head into the world with the Open Demo, completing missions and discovering some of the secrets it holds. Youíll meet the Arcanist Matthias, part of an order of researcher-monks charged with unlocking the mysteries of the world, who will send you on a three-part expedition to track down a shaper relic with mysterious powers. Explore, fly, and swim in Freeplay and take on emergent challenges as you travel through a section of Great Falls Canyon and some of the surrounding areas. Youíll even get to delve into one of the Strongholds, high-level dungeons that require a full squad of Freelancers to complete.
  4. Some (Mostly) Unfriendly Wildlife
    Whenever you venture into the world of Anthem you can be sure that youíll encounter beautifully dangerous wildlife. You might be hoping for a grabbit sighting but donít let your guard down -- there are living, moving threats that can come from all angles.

These creatures donít care if youíre in the midst of a mission or casually exploring the world in Anthemís free-roaming mode Freeplay, theyíre poised to make you have a no good, very bad day -- and cause major damage while theyíre at it. You may encounter wyverns, vicious flying creatures, will attack anything they come across, raining fire on their prey from above and leaving you desperate for a way to douse the flames and regain your health. Oh, but if you think thatís terrifying, just wait until you meet an Ursix.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 4, 2019, 13:48 Creston

Nullity wrote on Feb 4, 2019, 13:24:
Regardless, the level 12 unlock was only in the demo. In the full game, the next Javelin unlock is at level 2. So even *if* you're forced to start with the Ranger, you won't have to use it for very long.

Cool, thanks man!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 4, 2019, 13:24 Nullity

Creston wrote on Feb 3, 2019, 12:58:
Derek, if you're reading this, PLEASE tell me that we can pick the cool Javelin right from the start? Please tell me we don't have to slog through 12 levels of that shitty Ranger crap first...

If I can pick the Storm guy from level 1, I'm buying this, because it was FUN. (also, with my cape, I look fucking PIMP!)

I'm leaning heavily towards getting it now. Just really, really hope you can Storm from the start.
Originally, everyone would start with the Ranger, then you were able to choose which to unlock after that. However, I don't have a link, but I'm fairly certain they said they changed it so you can choose your first Javelin as well.

Regardless, the level 12 unlock was only in the demo. In the full game, the next Javelin unlock is at level 2. So even *if* you're forced to start with the Ranger, you won't have to use it for very long.

EDIT: Also FYI, while agree this game has some issues and things that need to be improved, almost every complaint in this thread has been addressed as either already fixed for launch, or being worked on for shortly after.

49. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 3, 2019, 12:58 Creston

Played a little more today, unlocked my second Javelin, choose the Storm guy, and...

HOLY FUCK!! The Storm guy is fucking AWESSOOOOMMMEEEEE!!!! Beer Cake

I was frying entire battlefields with his lightning power, and his ultimate... lol, it's like Sephiroth's Meteor combined with the One Ring. You compare that to the paltry shit the Ranger gets to do, and he's literally like 10 times more powerful. It's insane.

Derek, if you're reading this, PLEASE tell me that we can pick the cool Javelin right from the start? Please tell me we don't have to slog through 12 levels of that shitty Ranger crap first...

If I can pick the Storm guy from level 1, I'm buying this, because it was FUN. (also, with my cape, I look fucking PIMP!)

PS: Please don't nerf the Storm guy. Just buff the others, please. Don't be like fucking Blizzard.

Edit : Just ran the stronghold twice, and literally nobody shows up in a Ranger, so yeah, the Ranger seems to just be the shitty Javelin you are stuck with until you get something better. Even so, the stronghold was a lot of fun. Nice open areas to fight in, works great for the storm guy, we had a colossus and a scout to get in up close, then two storms to absolutely wreck the shit out of clumps, it worked very well. Wound up with 15 medals, heh.

I'm leaning heavily towards getting it now. Just really, really hope you can Storm from the start.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2019, 14:22.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2019, 03:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

Okay, I got a flamethrower for my Colossus, it might be one of the most fun weapons in the game. Air slam in, ignite everybody, finish off with mortars and super, gg. It almost makes up for the shitty autocannons.

So where the hell is the text chat for groups/local/zone, Bioware?

Also the built in voice comm is extremely buggy, still not working for me with a decent headset. Just steal DICE's BFV in game voice comm code. And their chat subroutines for that matter.

Anything to allow a LITTLE communication via text for teamwork, until voice comm actually works for all.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2019, 19:26 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 13:39:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 03:15:
So its alright to complain about mouse support for menus you barely use in the game but someone with valid kb/m in-game issues is just some whining bitch?

Whether you're a shill or just a fanboy of Anthem/Bioware, the irony here is thicker than cornbread.

Holy moly! What's with the accusing another of being a shill or a fanboy because they post something you disagree with?! Stop it. Darks is obviously not a shill or a fanboy of Anthem/BioWare!

*Grabs popcorn and turns intently to Darks for confirmation*

I have to admit this comment thread made me laugh way more than it should have because I have been reading both of these topics ^^

*Sorry Blues for giving you work ^^

46. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 15:36 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 11:11:
Tried it. Short review:

"Tribes did these mechanics so much better 20 years ago."
that hurts

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

45. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 14:05 Alamar

Aww man... The more games change, the more Blues News comments stay the same...

So I'm on the fence, leading towards purchase... There are a number of design issues I disagree with... But in the end, I had fun (when it didn't just break completely), and I'm logically hopeful launch will be considerably better (but not nearly perfect).

But I certainly understand why many others are not convinced... There are a LOT of varied issues in the beta (VIP and Open being 99% the same issues).

As for flight, out of combat, I agree it's a (minor) hassle to have to land every few hundred meters for 5s to cool off, or fly through some mist, or fly right above water to maintain... But missions are also designed to not have you need to fly a crazy distance either, so it's really a minor grievance for me... But the main counter, again, outside combat, is, why not just allow further/higher traveling... That's how the scenery gets shown off in the inevitable hundreds of 'this game looks amazing' videos/gifs we'll see on reddit over the next few months...

In combat... A little bit of flying during combat is great, and other times, other events (mobs or environments) limit that... Outside of that, each Javeiln can hover for a little bit, and shoot down at stuff (at melee stuff being OP), and if you really like hovering, try the Storm, which gets to hover like 5x as long (which is my fav, and I've tried all four now). That Lightning Strike feels good : )

I hope to see some of you in there, in the near future, or in a few months : )

44. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2019, 13:39 Kxmode

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 03:15:
So its alright to complain about mouse support for menus you barely use in the game but someone with valid kb/m in-game issues is just some whining bitch?

Whether you're a shill or just a fanboy of Anthem/Bioware, the irony here is thicker than cornbread.

Holy moly! What's with the accusing another of being a shill or a fanboy because they post something you disagree with?! Stop it. Darks is obviously not a shill or a fanboy of Anthem/BioWare!

*Grabs popcorn and turns intently to Darks for confirmation*

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

43. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 13:25 HoSpanky

KS wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 12:22:
Creston wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 11:57:
What BENEFIT does the game get from limiting flight? I'm pretty sure they just put it in because "Well, it's a jetpack, and jetpacks have always overheated in games."

Imagine this game if you could just fly free?

Reason #6872 City of Heroes should not have been cancelled.

All the enemies would have to have flight as well if it had free flight. Not that it would make it BAD, but itíd be forced to be a completely different game. If you had unlimited free flight, thereíd be no reason to put you on a planet. Itíd have to take place in space or so high above ground that landing wouldnít be possible. Without forcing people to the ground, often, itíd just be Descent.

If you can just fly past every single enemy thatís on the ground, why would they bother to put anything on the ground?

Out of all the arguments against this game, expecting free flight is the worst by far.

42. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 12:22 KS

Creston wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 11:57:
What BENEFIT does the game get from limiting flight? I'm pretty sure they just put it in because "Well, it's a jetpack, and jetpacks have always overheated in games."

Reason #6872 City of Heroes should not have been cancelled.

41. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 12:01 Kain

Totally agree with you Creston. Someone in design should've recognized that the game is a really average shooter and just fully embraced the flying. That's the best part of the game and they could've leveraged it into something really special. Damned shame.  

40. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 11:57 Creston

Quinn wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 07:57:
Some friendly advice: fly low above water or through water(falls) and you are "cooled". Perfect for exploration and travel as your overheat actually diminishes while flying this way.

Right, but that then forces you to essentially fly just above land. You can't soar through the sky because you'll overheat.

It's just a garbage mechanism. The flying is BY FAR the best thing in this game, so let's limit it with a cooldown gauge that sits in the middle of your screen and reaches 60% from side to side.

39. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 11:53 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 00:33:
Creston, pretty early on you get some energy weapons/various grenades, to change up how your Ranger powers work, although I think the explosive missile and seeker grenades are far and away the best.

So I was wondering if your equipment changed your powers, because I knew I had a grenade equipped, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to throw the damn thing.

Unfortunately, both my missions ended with virtually similar drops, so all I had was a seeker missile and a frag grenade still after both. And even so, they do absolutely NOTHING to distinguish between the two, other than that the arc is slightly different. The graphic for a grenade and a missile is essentially the same thing, so I probably am not the only one wondering why my fucking Javelin has two powers that are the same...

38. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 11:39 Kain

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 10:54:
So what Im hearing is that it's Destiny crossed with Andromeda, but with technical and control issues?

(Yeah didn't bother installing the demo. Still gonna keep an eye out for reviews of the full game, hope none of you here (other than Darks) have preordered it)

It's like someone at the corporate apex of EA saw Destiny back in 2013 and said "we need one of those!". It has minimum viable product written all over it. There's no creative vision behind the game, just a series of copied systems from other games mashed together. Ironmans in a bland future fighting nondescript enemies on a random space world, the world building is just really thin and uninteresting even considering its a demo.

The best thing it has going for it is traversal but they managed to ruin that with the flight cooldown and bizarre control implementation. But most importantly its supposed to be a shooter at its core and it sucks at this. Spammy systems, bullet sponge enemies, lack of feedback and dumbass AI just make it a very boring shooter. I had to laugh at the fact that I can fire mortars from a mech but that they bothered to put in a shitty recoil system for firing a machine gun.

The game is further hampered by a lot of technical shortcomings. For example no one thought to implement a framerate limiter so during load screens many people are getting crashes due to the menu running at like 10000fps and pushing thermals through the roof. There are a dozen little annoyances like that making the demo a poor experience that will hopefully be fixed one day. The UI fucking blows, it can't be overstated how poor of a job they did with it and there is no fixing it without going back to the drawing board. The PC controls feel like an afterthought and I'm not sure they can be resolved easily. Bioware is offering the age old assurance that everything is magically fixed in a retail build but it begs the question why you're putting this piece of crap out there for evaluation. They would have been better off just offering a 2 hour trial once the game launches if that's true. I sincerely doubt a patch is going to fix the awful mid-level loads that crop up too often either.

Anyways it feels like a 70s metacritic game, almost like one of those old Korean games or Huxley. You're going to see a lot of reviews with "...feels like there is potential here" from the mainstream press. I gave it a fair shake and I'm finally uninstalling, it just doesn't make me want to play it at all.

37. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 11:11 Burrito of Peace

Tried it. Short review:

"Tribes did these mechanics so much better 20 years ago."

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

36. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 10:54 VaranDragon

So what Im hearing is that it's Destiny crossed with Andromeda, but with technical and control issues?

(Yeah didn't bother installing the demo. Still gonna keep an eye out for reviews of the full game, hope none of you here (other than Darks) have preordered it)

35. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 09:51 SpectralMeat

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 08:10:
On to the actual game! First up, it forces HDR on. No choice. Whatever.

Motion blurís setting should be called High/Low, because itís clearly not off.

The menus are hot trash on mouse/KB. Clearly designed for controller and not one person took a look at it in a PC environment.

The controls on M/KB are also trash. No excuses, Darks, itís complete shit. When flight IMMEDIATELY feels right on a controller, but feels like Iím only making suggestions on m/Kb, itís shit. I donít care if they ďalready fixed itĒ in the full game. Show me that in the demo or my money stays in my pocket.

The game is gorgeous. The gameplay is very much Destiny, thatís not necessarily a bad thing. Thereís very little that really makes me want to play it again today.
Pretty much my conclusion also.
I've tried to get into it but all the technical issues, including input lag from my mouse just ruin it.
Controller seems to work better.

Dead enemies disappear from the ground in 5 seconds after killed is also a big turn off for me.

For $80CDN it's a hard pass. I rather play Destiny. At least that game runs well on my PC with the controls of my choice.

Steam: SpectralMeat

34. Re: Game Reviews Feb 2, 2019, 09:42 peteham

Quinn wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 07:57:
Some friendly advice: fly low above water or through water(falls) and you are "cooled". Perfect for exploration and travel as your overheat actually diminishes while flying this way.
Adding to this, you can also dive to cool off, and extend your flight time that way.

I saw a YouTube video where the guy indicated the overheating felt more aggressively tuned in the demo than in some version he had tested but I don't recall which. In any case, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to have a forced skill-based element to extending your flight time rather than just being able to point your noise at the objective while going to the bathroom (to use some hyperbole ). Makes traversal a bit more interesting. It's just that the quality of PC flight controls in their current state makes rapid direction changes for diving+leveling out as well as detouring via waterfalls etc. a bit shit, when the suit behaves like a drunken bumblebee.

33. removed Feb 2, 2019, 08:40 Xero

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 2, 2019, 10:31.

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Turok 2, RE2

32. Re: Anthem Open Demo Live Feb 2, 2019, 08:10 HoSpanky

Ok, a friend convinced me to look into Event Viewer to see wtf was causing the game to crash. Well, a couple years ago when I first set up my rig, SSDs were more expensive and there was concern about over-writing them to death. Soooo I disabled virtual memory. Anthem is the first game that eats more than the 12 free gig of memory, so it shits itself in short order. Problem fixed.

On to the actual game! First up, it forces HDR on. No choice. Whatever.

Motion blurís setting should be called High/Low, because itís clearly not off.

The menus are hot trash on mouse/KB. Clearly designed for controller and not one person took a look at it in a PC environment.

The controls on M/KB are also trash. No excuses, Darks, itís complete shit. When flight IMMEDIATELY feels right on a controller, but feels like Iím only making suggestions on m/Kb, itís shit. I donít care if they ďalready fixed itĒ in the full game. Show me that in the demo or my money stays in my pocket.

The game is gorgeous. The gameplay is very much Destiny, thatís not necessarily a bad thing. Thereís very little that really makes me want to play it again today.

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo