Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2019, 12:13 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 02:32:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 01:11:
Been seeing a bunch of posts about people selling off their <1yr old mining rigs, being that the crypto bubble has pretty much popped (for now).

I'll try to post ones that I see here, starting with this lot I saw today including some 1080ti's:

https://swipetrack.net/crypto/
No sure I want a graphics card that was run full out for a year straight.
How is anyone supposed to know "How Long" it was run full bore.
But look at it this way, at least you don't get a warranty.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2019, 02:43 jdreyer

bigspender wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 03:39:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 23:38:
bigspender wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 19:30:
Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 10:44:
Cancer cure? I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll do one better, prevent the cancer in the first place ;-)

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-win-the-war-on-cancer/

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcV1ISdE5HY

Hey BS, you listen to The Drive with Peter Attia? Great podcast focusing on increasing lifespan and healthspan.

Howdy!
Yes indeed I have, and I do not think particularly highly of him. IIRC he's a cholesterol denier. While I'm sure he means well, that is very dangerous, given that's what most of us and our loved ones will die from, and he's muddying the waters, even though the picture is very clear - study after study show a linear relationship between eating cholesterol or saturated fat (which raises cholesterol), and how much heart-disease and cancer occurs.

Just one example was in Finland over 40 years, they asked people to stop eating dairy butter on a national scale, and it reduced heart-attacks by 85% in the country. That's just one example out of hundreds.

Also anyone going against the WCRF.org recommendations of eating less than 350g of red meat, and ZERO processed meat per week, which I believe he does with his keto diet and it confuses me.

I don't understand why he is ignoring such strong evidence, and focusing on some abstract micro mechanistic concepts which don't apply to the general population. I guess he's just one of those people that is unable to see the forest for the trees. It seems like he's just taking anything he reads at face value, rather than understanding the bigger picture.

And his meal replacement/post workout drinks are literally garbage (whey protein powder is a waste product from the dairy industry, but they've convinced people to eat it by the literal bucket).

Anyway my ranting aside, not a single one of these health experts care to show us the one thing that matters - their coronary angriograms. The only true sign that you don't have heart-disease. (a calcium artery score is not sufficient, because most plaques are calcified).

People who eat plant-based diets often show us clean arteries using these methods - or at the very least cleaner arteries (since they usually switch to a whole foods plant based diet after their first heart-attack) they are proud to show people that they're getting better. And I'd love the keto and other diet experts do the same.

Now with his recommendations, one can be healthier than the average population, but that's like an adult winning a kindergarten drawing comp.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater! I actually hadn't heard he was doing keto, just that he only eats during a 2 hour window. I've read about the benefits of daily "fasting" in other studies however. The other podcasts I have listened to had pretty good recs regarding exercise, cancer, etc. He gets some great guests.

I hear you about keto though. One of my teammates is doing it. She's super smart, but it's hard to figure out her choice there. Maybe she just likes bacon.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2019, 02:32 jdreyer

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 31, 2019, 01:11:
Been seeing a bunch of posts about people selling off their <1yr old mining rigs, being that the crypto bubble has pretty much popped (for now).

I'll try to post ones that I see here, starting with this lot I saw today including some 1080ti's:

No sure I want a graphics card that was run full out for a year straight.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2019, 03:39 bigspender

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 23:38:

&

Hey BS, you listen to The Drive with Peter Attia? Great podcast focusing on increasing lifespan and healthspan.

Howdy!
Yes indeed I have, and I do not think particularly highly of him. IIRC he's a cholesterol denier. While I'm sure he means well, that is very dangerous, given that's what most of us and our loved ones will die from, and he's muddying the waters, even though the picture is very clear - study after study show a linear relationship between eating cholesterol or saturated fat (which raises cholesterol), and how much heart-disease and cancer occurs.

Just one example was in Finland over 40 years, they asked people to stop eating dairy butter on a national scale, and it reduced heart-attacks by 85% in the country. That's just one example out of hundreds.

Also anyone going against the WCRF.org recommendations of eating less than 350g of red meat, and ZERO processed meat per week, which I believe he does with his keto diet and it confuses me.

I don't understand why he is ignoring such strong evidence, and focusing on some abstract micro mechanistic concepts which don't apply to the general population. I guess he's just one of those people that is unable to see the forest for the trees. It seems like he's just taking anything he reads at face value, rather than understanding the bigger picture.

And his meal replacement/post workout drinks are literally garbage (whey protein powder is a waste product from the dairy industry, but they've convinced people to eat it by the literal bucket).

Anyway my ranting aside, not a single one of these health experts care to show us the one thing that matters - their coronary angriograms. The only true sign that you don't have heart-disease. (a calcium artery score is not sufficient, because most plaques are calcified).

People who eat plant-based diets often show us clean arteries using these methods - or at the very least cleaner arteries (since they usually switch to a whole foods plant based diet after their first heart-attack) they are proud to show people that they're getting better. And I'd love the keto and other diet experts do the same.

Now with his recommendations, one can be healthier than the average population, but that's like an adult winning a kindergarten drawing comp.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2019, 04:31.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2019, 01:11 Mordecai Walfish

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2019, 23:40 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 20:25:
Samsung 2018 55" "BFGD" 120hz @ 1440p with HDR CHEAP @ 799.99 or, Open Box $679 Best Buy ht
thread has rtings link

Do you need HDR if you have OLED?

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2019, 23:38 jdreyer

&

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2019, 20:25 RedEye9

Samsung 2018 55" "BFGD" 120hz @ 1440p with HDR CHEAP @ 799.99 or, Open Box $679 Best Buy ht
thread has rtings link

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2019, 19:30 bigspender

&

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2019, 19:27 bigspender

DOUBLE POST  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2019, 16:25 Mr. Tact

Ariana Grande, the name rings a faint bell for me. A singer? Whoever she is, why does anyone freaking care what stupid kanji tattoo she got? Maybe it is just the curmudgeon in me, but it seems like popular culture has gone from silly to bone jarringly stupid...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2019, 15:38 Eirikrautha

Ariana Grande's New Kanji Tattoo Is An Unfortunate Mistake.

FTFY

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2019, 14:34 Mr. Tact

The cancer cure has already been debunked/criticized severely. Yeah, a high of -8 F plus 20 mph winds is not a good thing...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2019, 10:44 Cutter

Fuck polar vortexes!
Middlefinger

My chicken nugget is bouncing like a red rubber ball....

Firemen to the rescue as always.

Jesus, enough whinging about the Saints game already. As we used to say in the 80s, shit happens.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

1. No Regerts Jan 30, 2019, 10:36 RedEye9

I thought "Wow, her hands look fugly" then noticed the palms.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo