Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice "Vacation Destination" Possible

American McGee's Blog notes that the designer is currently working on design, art, and story for Alice: Asylum (aka Alice 3), a new entry in his retelling of the Alice in Wonderland story that will serve as a prequel to the earlier games. Word is this "will present the story before “American McGee’s Alice,” with young Alice fighting through the trauma of losing her family." They offer a few ways to support this effort, including a Patreon. There's also an interesting post by American on Facebook talking about plans for a new development studio in Thailand where he ponders the idea of turning this into some form of Alice theme park for those devoted to the franchise:
One idea I have for the new development studio in Thailand is that we'd also make it a vacation destination for Alice fans. Imagine a location where you can take the most amazing cosplay photos, explore The Cheshire's Forest, or interact with an animatronic Mad Hatter. Spend a few nights in the Queen's Castle? Just don't lose your head!
View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 31, 2019, 07:43 eRe4s3r

Did I miss something? I thought EA holds the entire IP hostage where it concerns games?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2019, 06:49 Mordecai Walfish

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 15:39:
Alice: Madness Returns is one of the worst games ever made.

One does not simply put other games on the same tier as E.T. without providing some evidence to this point. You'd have to live a pretty sheltered 'gaming life' to believe this.

18. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 17:50 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 10:37:
And hopefully they dispense with putting his name in the title. It's pretentious and dismissive of the other developers who work on the game as well.

That's the main selling point, that name! Who doesn't like America? And American is perfectly named to sell work based on a British IP while living in China.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 17:50 Prez

Flatline wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 16:18:
I loved the Alice games, especially the first one. McGee has been out of the game as it were for a while now though; hopefully he hasn't lost his touch. And hopefully they dispense with putting his name in the title. It's pretentious and dismissive of the other developers who work on the game as well.

Remember how McGee was going to do Oz and it was in development hell for years? Always wished he'd made something real out of that. Oz, at least, the book version of Oz, would have been great to McGee up.

I do now that you reminded me. I remember being excited for a time too, until it became pretty clear that it was vaporware.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 17:34 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 10:11:
McGee wants a Bed & Breakfast Alice based Themepark, good luck w/that.

Hey, as long as the caterpillar gives away free bong hits of that sweet Sativa, I'll go.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 16:18 Flatline

I loved the Alice games, especially the first one. McGee has been out of the game as it were for a while now though; hopefully he hasn't lost his touch. And hopefully they dispense with putting his name in the title. It's pretentious and dismissive of the other developers who work on the game as well.

Remember how McGee was going to do Oz and it was in development hell for years? Always wished he'd made something real out of that. Oz, at least, the book version of Oz, would have been great to McGee up.

14. Re: Poor Alice, she really did go insane Jan 29, 2019, 16:15 Flatline

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 15:39:
The thing I really disliked about Alice: Madness Returns was all the puzzles. I don't mind some puzzles in games. The fact that the entire game was 90 percent puzzle and 10 percent story, really annoyed me. In my eyes Alice: Madness Returns was ruined because of this concept. All the puzzles really slowed down the game and the fun and became boring and tedious. The cloned enemies the devs throw at you didn't help either. Alice: Madness Returns is one of the worst games ever made. The first game was way better, even with the horrible graphics.

Horrible graphics. Man. To be young again. I remember when that game was state of the art and used the Quake 3 engine. God I feel old.

13. Poor Alice, she really did go insane Jan 29, 2019, 15:39 WitcherOntheProwl

The thing I really disliked about Alice: Madness Returns was all the puzzles. I don't mind some puzzles in games. The fact that the entire game was 90 percent puzzle and 10 percent story, really annoyed me. In my eyes Alice: Madness Returns was ruined because of this concept. All the puzzles really slowed down the game and the fun and became boring and tedious. The cloned enemies the devs throw at you didn't help either. Alice: Madness Returns is one of the worst games ever made. The first game was way better, even with the horrible graphics.  

12. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 14:43 PacoTaco

a

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2019, 00:48.

11. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 14:24 Cram

Well I enjoyed Madness Returns well enough. I'd welcome a third game in the series.  

10. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 12:58 [SC]TherMight

Some great input in this thread. I just wonder if a prequel will be able to capture enough interest. Seems like it will lack so many iconic characters. If it becomes too much a psych. horror game about Alice's mental state than a surreal adventure/puzzle romp people won't go for it I feel.  

9. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 12:43 Avus

One hit wonder want another one?  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

8. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 11:32 Cutter

Sounds more like he wants people to pay for an extended vacation in Thailand.

7. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 11:00 sliv

Was a big fan of the first one. I normally don't play through games multiple times but did for that one.

Actually just played Madness Returns for the first time just a few months ago. Didn't have much time when kids entered the picture and even then you have to be careful what you play with young, watchful eyes. It was enjoyable but didn't quite have the feel of the first one. To me it felt like a different game but did like the slipping in and out of what's real and what isn't.

I'd give it a shot, especially if it's exploring her fall from normalcy to deep psychological trauma as the game progresses. Even in the first game she says the Cat doesn't look the same as she remembers so to see them all change from maybe the bright color (somewhat Disney-ish) style of her innocence and changes to the heavy steampunk versions.

The style of Hatter, Mouse and Rabbit in the first one half mechanized always looked cool to me. I think I preferred the Hatter to be a bad guy between the two versions. Voice was definitely off in the second one. Two high-pitched and nasally.

It's been a while so glad to hear it's being done, just please don't make it exclusive to just PC or a single console.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2019, 09:05.

6. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 10:42 Solemn-Philosopher

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 29, 2019, 09:48:
I liked the first Alice game quite a bit but not the second nearly as much. It lacked the flavor of the first. If the third can recapture the magic of the first title, I'd be interested...pending reviews, of course.

I agree. I played the first one when it came out and I loved the game. I was excited about the sequel, but it was a definite step down.

I think he should focus on a higher-quality but shorter game. The second was long, but had a bit too much filler and felt like a grind at times.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

5. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 10:37 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 10:37 aka_STEVE

It's over Dude. Drop it.  

3. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 10:16 Xero

I can't remember which one I had a good time in from the old titles. They were interesting for their time however. It was very interesting level design.

I'd keep an eye out for this.

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

2. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 10:11 RedEye9

McGee wants a Bed & Breakfast Alice based Themepark, good luck w/that.  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

1. Re: Alice: Asylum (Alice 3) and Alice Jan 29, 2019, 09:48 Burrito of Peace

I liked the first Alice game quite a bit but not the second nearly as much. It lacked the flavor of the first. If the third can recapture the magic of the first title, I'd be interested...pending reviews, of course.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >