Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access Next Week

Unknown Worlds announces that Early Access to Subnautica Below Zero begins on January 30th, offering a countdown timer ticking off the seconds until the release. They plan a livestream to celebrate at that time, providing links for potential viewers. They stress that this does not mean development is complete: "Below Zero is not finished. It is full of bugs. It lacks polish, runs poorly, and is missing features. We are offering Early Access not because we want your money, but because we want your feedback. We make better games when we make them with you." Here's word on how this follows the underwater action of the first Subnautica game:
Dive into a freezing underwater adventure on an alien planet. Set some time after the original Subnautica, Below Zero challenges you to survive a disaster at an alien research station on Planet 4546B. Craft tools, scavenge for supplies, and unravel the next chapter in the Subnautica story.
View : : :

Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access Next Week
Jan 27, 2019, 03:31
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access Next Week Jan 27, 2019, 03:31
Jan 27, 2019, 03:31

Numinar wrote on Jan 27, 2019, 02:11:
Yes. Play it.

One of the best things I've ever done on a computer. Reminded me a lot of super early adventure games, with death and minimal handholding but moments of wonderment and surprise even dozens of hours in that you feel like you earned, as opposed to being led to by an invisible director.

I also hate survival shit. It often feels like busywork. Games are there to escape thinking about fulfilling basic necessities! But in this game it worked, mostly. In a factorio-style motivation of "I don't want to deal with this fishing shit so I can eat and drink, how do I automate/trivialise it?" as a method to push you forward in the story and tech tree.

As you get deeper and deeper and discover more secrets to add to your paper map (Super old school here, no automapper!) and build outposts to keep you supplied and act as a point of reference and safety, and you start to feel like you are actually getting to grips with this planet, you will still get surprised and freaked out by the weird crap and nightmare monsters you manage to discover because you are always pushing your luck. The sense of exploration is something I haven't felt since Ultima Underworld/Morrowind. (Most recent Zelda had a bit of it but that is a far more sterile/robotic world)

Later on, when you build your sick giant mobile sub and find yourself 3 kilometers down in a volcanic/acidic super hostile underwater cavern and there are supertanker sized monsters lurking about ready to bite if you make too much noise and you have to go on EVA to burn out parasites draining energy from your only source of oxygen and food is just insane.

Good stuff. Also I fucking loved God of War but there is no way to really compare the two, that game is definitely one that wants you to see and enjoy all 150 million dollars of art and sound in the thing but sometimes that's what you want in a game.

That's a great summary. The sense of unending exploration and the natural revealing of new systems is what makes it so great.
Date
Subject
Author
Jan 26, 2019Jan 26 2019
Jan 27, 2019Jan 27 2019
  Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access Next Week
Jan 27, 2019Jan 27 2019
Jan 26, 2019Jan 26 2019