Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month

A post on Gamasutra from last week that we missed at the time offers another opportunity to marvel at the high finances of Star Citizen, and the phenomenal crowdfunding surrounding the upcoming space game(s) (thanks PC Gamer). Word is the recent burn rate of the project is about $4 million per month, so they are making use of the over $200 million they've raised so far. Here's part of the summary:

According to the document, CIG has spent $193.3 million since 2012, with $14.23 million left in reserve. About $48.8 million of that was spent in 2017, putting the company’s most recently reported monthly spending at about an average of $4 million.

Revenue sources were split into three main categories, including Kickstarter pledges, subscriptions, and "other" income from partnerships with hardware and software vendors. Based on the graph provided, it doesn't seem like the company has been able to keep steady since 2014, after its initial explosion in revenue upon launch at the end of 2012 and into 2013.

This is pretty interesting, as Star Citizen is still in development but has already brought about $200 million in revenue for the company. Apparently, only one percent of that was due to traditional crowdfunding.

View
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

85. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 31, 2019, 00:12 Kxmode

dsmart wrote on Jan 27, 2019, 15:41:
Drayth wrote on Jan 27, 2019, 14:47:
Oh god...
*snipped drivel*

This is too easy.

Where I predicted an engine switch, and specifically mentioned Lumberyard. On 04/04/2016. The screen shot and link even appears in my Irreconcilable Differences blog which I published on 12/27/2016

I will save you the trouble of reading the whole blog, but the screen shot of my post is in the middle, in case you don't have an SA account.

THE SWITCH
A few months ago, there were some insider rumblings that due to on-going challenges of building the game that Chris Roberts envisioned, an engine switch was inevitable. I had discarded that out of hand, much like I discarded the recent talk of a console port of the game because let’s face it, this far along into development, it would be pure madness to make such a switch. Not to mention the furor that it will cause with the backers who, while entrenched in Sunk Cost Fallacy, are still throwing money into a burning fire. And when you think about it, short of a custom engine built from the ground up, even with their major advancements, Unity5 would be a stretch. Not to mention the fact that it’s C# based. So only Unreal Engine 4 is actually capable of building something like Star Citizen; even with some design compromises. And it would be a major re-write either way.

Despite at least two sources claiming they were in fact switching to Lumberyard, I had forgotten about the engine switch nonsense until it sparked up again earlier this year. Seeing as some people (who I don’t even know, due to sources being anon) have reportedly been fired from CIG/RSI for being sources to myself and the media (e.g. see Kotaku’s recent slew of Star Citizen research articles, or The Escapist article from last year), I tend to now pick and chose what I share publicly. And with very few people close to something like an engine switch, it would be trivial for CIG/RSI to go on a witch hunt to seek out who was leaking (the most open development ever!) information to backers and the general public. So, my stance is that I’ll believe it when I hear more. I mean, with all their show broadcasts, no way they would keep something like that quiet, unless they are concerned about backer reaction.

In fact, this past April, I made a comment as part of what I believed – at the time – would be madness for them to even do. I said “I can’t wait to read the part where they decide to either port to Unity5 or to Lumberyard, Amazon’s version of CryEngine4. Not to mention CryEngine5 which is more advanced/modern than CryEngine4.”

I fail to understand what merit this has with regards sources? Did this information come from source(s) that you were trying to protect, or were you hypothesizing and passing it off as matter-of-fact? This is that thing I was talking about in an earlier post about injecting more mentions of sources in your articles so that the information has weight. Sources provide more reliability than just the words of a person who has openly expressed and has on-going hostility towards the game. Using sources eliminates the dismissal of someone's viewpoints when they have a passionate dislike of the subject discussed. Sources anchor the information so that it IS unbiased.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

84. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 27, 2019, 16:36  dsmart 

Drayth wrote on Jan 27, 2019, 16:17:
That's a screenshot of you pondering an engine switch, lol not announcing one.

I like how you completely ignored everything in the blog, including the excerpt; only to fall back to the I was just "pondering" part.

Everything else is from AFTER 12/23/16 when they announced it

You know that's how that works, right? What, you thought they would give me the heads up? You literally can't be serious because even my Tweet (while I was on vacation), speaks for itself.

Someone on Reddit even has a handy timeline. Read it.

I'm saying if you had sources you would have KNOWN before hand, that's a huge deal for the company.

They didn't switch. That's what my blog was primarily about. And of course Crytek sued them exactly one year later in Dec 2017.

(and even then you're known to go back revise / scrub posts after news breaks).

Ah yes, back to the lies (it's not an admirable fallback position) when you keep losing.

Keep trying though, something will eventually stick. I'm rooting for you.

You see, this is why I keep winning. You guys rely on lies, fabrication, deflection, attacks, and a healthy sprinkling of fairy dust. I just rely on facts and links. Even as 3.5 yrs later since you guys were harassing me over this train-wreck scam, there's still no fucking game. Of any kind. But yeah, keep focusing on me, man. LOL!!

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

83. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 27, 2019, 16:17 Drayth

That's a screenshot of you pondering an engine switch, lol not announcing one. Everything else is from AFTER 12/23/16 when they announced it (and even then you're known to go back revise / scrub posts after news breaks). I'm saying if you had sources you would have KNOWN before hand, that's a huge deal for the company.

If all you do is sit around all day, every day postulating over something for years there's going to be convenient coincidences.

And yeah that "hate sub" vs totally reasonable place for discussion.

gaaaah!

82. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 27, 2019, 15:48  dsmart 

jdreyer wrote on Jan 27, 2019, 13:48:
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Somehow, I thought that was through the end of 2018.

Yeah, the finances go to end of 2017. They haven't released 2018 yet; so we don't know how bad things were during that year. Remember they got the $46m bailout money in May 2018 which is when the deal closed.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

81. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 27, 2019, 15:41  dsmart 

Oh god...
*snipped drivel*

This is too easy.

Where I predicted an engine switch, and specifically mentioned Lumberyard. On 04/04/2016. The screen shot and link even appears in my Irreconcilable Differences blog which I published on 12/27/2016

I will save you the trouble of reading the whole blog, but the screen shot of my post is in the middle, in case you don't have an SA account.

THE SWITCH
A few months ago, there were some insider rumblings that due to on-going challenges of building the game that Chris Roberts envisioned, an engine switch was inevitable. I had discarded that out of hand, much like I discarded the recent talk of a console port of the game because let’s face it, this far along into development, it would be pure madness to make such a switch. Not to mention the furor that it will cause with the backers who, while entrenched in Sunk Cost Fallacy, are still throwing money into a burning fire. And when you think about it, short of a custom engine built from the ground up, even with their major advancements, Unity5 would be a stretch. Not to mention the fact that it’s C# based. So only Unreal Engine 4 is actually capable of building something like Star Citizen; even with some design compromises. And it would be a major re-write either way.

Despite at least two sources claiming they were in fact switching to Lumberyard, I had forgotten about the engine switch nonsense until it sparked up again earlier this year. Seeing as some people (who I don’t even know, due to sources being anon) have reportedly been fired from CIG/RSI for being sources to myself and the media (e.g. see Kotaku’s recent slew of Star Citizen research articles, or The Escapist article from last year), I tend to now pick and chose what I share publicly. And with very few people close to something like an engine switch, it would be trivial for CIG/RSI to go on a witch hunt to seek out who was leaking (the most open development ever!) information to backers and the general public. So, my stance is that I’ll believe it when I hear more. I mean, with all their show broadcasts, no way they would keep something like that quiet, unless they are concerned about backer reaction.

In fact, this past April, I made a comment as part of what I believed – at the time – would be madness for them to even do. I said “I can’t wait to read the part where they decide to either port to Unity5 or to Lumberyard, Amazon’s version of CryEngine4. Not to mention CryEngine5 which is more advanced/modern than CryEngine4.”

Also, that blog is the one where I also updated it following my discussion/argument with Ben Parry on Frontier's forum.

Your turn.

ps: Nice of you to post already debunked bs from a previously closed hate sub. Why don't you have those discussions with the guys over here? I don't expect facts to deter you guys because after the POTUS has a bunch of nutjobs as supporters, as do Scientology, Flat Earthers etc. Hang onto that man, wait and see what comes next. It's glorious.

80. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 27, 2019, 15:40 RedEye9

Oh god...

dsmart wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 20:08:
lies and more lies

All found here. Along with an old list of failed predictions.

And I literally read your tweets after the Lumbyard switch, you had no idea it was coming. You even tweeted something like "Woah there Chris, slow down.." as all the Lumbyard news came flooding in that weekend. You knew no more than the general public.

Since you brouht it up; Star Marine was quite popular when it launched. It's dead now because the main game has come a long ways since then, and the shooter combat is fully integrated into it.

So go on, keep building your web of doomsday SC narratives. It really doesn't affect anything and I've spent far too much time on this.
The time you spent is Nothing compared to all the time smart has wasted on his unhealthy addiction. Wink

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

79. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 27, 2019, 14:47 Drayth

Oh god...

dsmart wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 20:08:
lies and more lies

All found here. Along with an old list of failed predictions.

And I literally read your tweets after the Lumbyard switch, you had no idea it was coming. You even tweeted something like "Woah there Chris, slow down.." as all the Lumbyard news came flooding in that weekend. You knew no more than the general public.

Since you brouht it up; Star Marine was quite popular when it launched. It's dead now because the main game has come a long ways since then, and the shooter combat is fully integrated into it.

So go on, keep building your web of doomsday SC narratives. It really doesn't affect anything and I've spent far too much time on this.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2019, 15:03.

78. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 27, 2019, 13:48 jdreyer

dsmart wrote on Jan 27, 2019, 08:45:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 21:56:
With millions still coming in per month through cloud funding, and $14 M in the bank, the could stretch this out for a year or more without making any changes at all before running out of money.

They don't have $14m in the bank. That was at the END of 2017. What gave you the impression that, 14 months later, that's still the case? Aside from the fact that regardless of what they had in the bank, it doesn't take into account liabilities (e.g. debt, loans etc).

I have no doubt that they will continue to limp to 2020, even if they didn't make the monthly numbers required for on-going operations. And that's because in May 2018, they raised $46m in reserve cash which I am quite certain isn't for "marketing". Also, no way of knowing how much of that cash still remains. At least not until they release the 2018 numbers.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Somehow, I thought that was through the end of 2018.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

77. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 27, 2019, 08:45  dsmart 

With millions still coming in per month through cloud funding, and $14 M in the bank, the could stretch this out for a year or more without making any changes at all before running out of money.

They don't have $14m in the bank. That was at the END of 2017. What gave you the impression that, 14 months later, that's still the case? Aside from the fact that regardless of what they had in the bank, it doesn't take into account liabilities (e.g. debt, loans etc).

I have no doubt that they will continue to limp to 2020, even if they didn't make the monthly numbers required for on-going operations. And that's because in May 2018, they raised $46m in reserve cash which I am quite certain isn't for "marketing". Also, no way of knowing how much of that cash still remains. At least not until they release the 2018 numbers.

76. Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 27, 2019, 02:59 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 22:39:

They need more time than the year or two they have remaining. It is a negative non-zero-sum game they cannot win.

Well, sure. They have many years of work remaining. My point was that this won't be over by spring.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

75. Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 26, 2019, 22:39 Kxmode

They need more time than the year or two they have remaining. It is a negative non-zero-sum game they cannot win.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

74. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 26, 2019, 21:56 jdreyer

dsmart wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 08:42:
Drayth wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 07:48:
You're claiming that your 90 days tops statement didn't happen because people fed more money to CIG to prove it wrong.. instead of just the normal ship sales going on at the time??

Since you're patently clueless, I can see how it's tough for you to grasp the concept of how financing works. If a company has money to last 90 days, and they don't get funding from somewhere, somehow, the end result is they go out of business. That's how it works.

And their very own financial brochure shows that the downward spiral of spending more than they were making, STARTED in 2016. Just as sources had said. That was when I wrote the E.L.E blog, and we started coining the term because those decisions which he made for the project at the time, put it at risk. And all that happened despite the fact that Chris claimed - several times - that he scaled the project based on income. He lied. That's been proven beyond any reasonable doubt. To the extent that he sold part of the company for bailout money, two years later in Summer 2018.

Ignoring facts doesn't make your world view any better.

73. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 26, 2019, 20:08  dsmart 

Drayth wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 10:13:
You didn't have access to their finances at the time you made the 90 days tops comment. You didn't have inside sources, you never once produced reliable information on anything.

That's how the whole "sources" thing works. I didn't pull it out of my ass. Which is what you do, as you throw poo at the wall trying to see what (nothing) sticks. Media and bloggers cite sources for stories all the time; but you don't see people clamoring for them to out their sources. But I guess Star Citizen is special, so there are no rules.

Star Marine, you stated wasn't going to happen up to weeks, if not days before it was released. You even died on a hill over that one.

False (again)

Star Marine, like SQ42, was on hold. Then they revived it. I wrote a whole blog about it, and there's even a dedicated website about it.

Same thing that we have now seen with SQ42.

Chris Roberts, June 30, 2015

STAR MARINE – A TIMELINE OF NOTEWORTHY EVENTS

Star Marine - Just A Game Mode

Then, out of the Blue, in a year of nearly ZERO progress, Star Marine miraculously showed up in the 2.6 release of 12/23/2016. The same build as the Lumberyard switch. And it was immediately DOA.

I also remember the debacle about it's release whereby it wasn't even in the original 2.6 release, though a bunch of nutjobs were arguing with me about it.

Lumberyard switch was news to you just like the rest of us.

Ah, that's so cute that you're still fishing. Nice try.

Star Citizen Lumberyard Switch, Derek Smart, 12/23/16

Lumberyard, for those interested, Chris Roberts, 12/25/16

Star Citizen - The Lumberyard Switch (it's bs)

You just throw out vague "..and that's nothing compared to what I know is coming next." in your blogs continuously, then when some big news drops you have something to point back to and claim you called it.

Yeah, and it's totally my fault that my vague hints end up coming true. I should probably try playing the lottery.

You blasted some news filed in the UK's financial report towards the end of the year before CIG made their official announcement and keep touting it as the story you broke. Sure.. but it wasn't from any secret contacts.

False (again)

The timeline of my posts regarding the financials, including links to my posts and Tweets, going all the way back to 2017*, are in my latest blog about the investment. Try reading it.

5) Financial Difficulties
Having raised about $112M at the time, without ever delivering an Alpha product, rumors started swirling that they were – again – facing financial difficulties. I said:

“Rumors and unconfirmed reports have been swirling for months that they’re running out of money to complete these projects, that they’ve been seeking external investor funding, trying to take advantage of tax credits etc. Even over in the UK, where reports like this come out, there is no evidence of them ever filing with the BFI if they did in fact take advantage of UK tax credits. If they’re out trying to raise investor money, it should come as a complete shock to anyone who thinks that $112M should have been enough to, you know, develop the game as promised. All the negativity surrounding the game, the shitty and toxic community that has sprung up around it; the aforementioned videos of a shitty tech-demo (aka CryEngine mod) everyone is now laughing (1, 2) at, are collectively likely to affect any efforts to raise money outside of a bunch of gullible whales firmly entrenched in sunk cost fallacy and cognitive dissonance. Here’s the thing, any investor or investment banker looking to invest in a project which, for five years, has raised over $112M (that we know of) for a project that the creator was originally asking $2M from the public, should be doing extensive research into all the execs associated with this project.”

Stop posturing like you're some amazing journalist. You're just obsessively coming over any public details you can get your hands on and building this "They're so fucked" (for 6+ years now) narrative you're trying to pretend like is real.

I never claimed to be a journalist. You must be confused. And yes, they have been fucked since 2015. To wit: they ran out of money, used all kinds of tricks to rip backers off, got a bailout - still ZERO games.

90 days tops implies that if everything continues as normal, there's nothing they can do to save their company (I could say Sony had 90 days tops.. but oh darn, people kept buying their products!) . That didn't happen.

You really are ignorant and obtuse. There's no other explanation. Do you think Sony is running on month-to-month funding? lmao!

You were wrong.

Whatever makes you sleep at night, man. Reality moves on. While you keep on your fishing expedition, with ZERO facts or cited sources, I will keep throwing reality and cite links your way. Don't get bored though because I can do this for as long as it takes. Bring it.

72. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 26, 2019, 13:52 Drayth

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 10:45:
You're wasting your time. Smart is a troll. sad

wurd. So am I

71. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 26, 2019, 10:45 RedEye9

Drayth wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 10:13:
You didn't have access to their finances at the time you made the 90 days tops comment. You didn't have inside sources, you never once produced reliable information on anything.

Star Marine, you stated wasn't going to happen up to weeks, if not days before it was released. You even died on a hill over that one.

You just throw out vague "..and that's nothing compared to what I know is coming next." in your blogs continuously, then when some big news drops you have something to point back to and claim you called it.

You blasted some news filed in the UK's financial report towards the end of the year before CIG made their official announcement and keep touting it as the story you broke. Sure.. but it wasn't from any secret contacts.

Stop posturing like you're some amazing journalist. You're just obsessively coming over any public details you can get your hands on and building this "They're so fucked" (for 6+ years now) narrative you're trying to pretend like is real.

90 days tops implies that if everything continues as normal, there's nothing they can do to save their company (I could say Sony had 90 days tops.. but oh darn, people kept buying their products!) . That didn't happen.

You were wrong.
You're wasting your time. Smart is a troll. sad

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

70. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 26, 2019, 10:13 Drayth

You were wrong.

69. Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 26, 2019, 08:48  dsmart 

djinn wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 08:19:
Overall I have to say you might be confusing me with someone who cares. I like entertaining solutions even to the most ridiculous problems and I see many for this one. It might be hard to swallow since you've been pretty consistent in your crusade, but I also think of it in terms of "hey, DS might also be right". Time will tell and I'll still sleep well

LOL! Not really. I was just pointing how all those points simply won't work because, well, not only is Chris woefully incompetent, but the funding success itself has proven to be a barrier (e.g. why would any publisher take on a project or give money to a guy who couldn't ship a product after getting so much free money?) that's done more harm than good to the project. Backers lose. The project loses. And only Chris and his friends (as well as the guys getting a paycheck and who keep this train-wreck going), benefited.

Not a day goes by that you don't hear of a videogame dev or publisher either raising money, or being sold. There's lots and lots of M&A going on in the sector, and a lot of money to be made - for the right team and product. Nobody gave Chris Roberts a penny. And that slight started since 2010 when we was trying to get money from publishers who just loled. And even in 2017, as "great" as he and the backers said Star Citizen was, not a SINGLE notable publisher or investor in the sector, gave him money. So he had to go to off-shore dark money which tends to come with huge risks and strings.

68. Re: Out of the Blue Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 26, 2019, 08:42  dsmart 

Drayth wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 07:48:
You're claiming that your 90 days tops statement didn't happen because people fed more money to CIG to prove it wrong.. instead of just the normal ship sales going on at the time??

Since you're patently clueless, I can see how it's tough for you to grasp the concept of how financing works. If a company has money to last 90 days, and they don't get funding from somewhere, somehow, the end result is they go out of business. That's how it works.

And their very own financial brochure shows that the downward spiral of spending more than they were making, STARTED in 2016. Just as sources had said. That was when I wrote the E.L.E blog, and we started coining the term because those decisions which he made for the project at the time, put it at risk. And all that happened despite the fact that Chris claimed - several times - that he scaled the project based on income. He lied. That's been proven beyond any reasonable doubt. To the extent that he sold part of the company for bailout money, two years later in Summer 2018.

Ignoring facts doesn't make your world view any better.

67. Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 26, 2019, 08:19 djinn

dsmart wrote on Jan 24, 2019, 17:53:
1) That's never going to happen. If it did, then it would be public

2) Yes, a publisher is totally going to give money to the guy who couldn't ship a SINGLE game, even after getting over $200m in FREE MONEY. Aside from the fact that he already tried that BEFORE he started Star Citizen, and those he went to - including EA - laughed him out of the room

3) They have been marketing the game. You should read their financials one day

4) There is already a monthly sub that some backers are paying. No gamer is dumb enough to pay a sub for a tech demo

5) The game has zero monetization hooks. So how exactly is F2P going to work?

It's hilarious that you think they haven't thought of all options, but they ignored all of them in exchange for selling a part of the company for $46m in bailout money - even as they were burning more money than they were making. Are you high?

I agree with some of your points, but some of my latter bullets were more in relation to turning it into a traditional release if they needed more funding.

Overall I have to say you might be confusing me with someone who cares. I like entertaining solutions even to the most ridiculous problems and I see many for this one. It might be hard to swallow since you've been pretty consistent in your crusade, but I also think of it in terms of "hey, DS might also be right". Time will tell and I'll still sleep well

66. Re: Star Citizen Spending $4M Per Month Jan 26, 2019, 08:11 djinn

El Pit wrote on Jan 24, 2019, 11:36:
I know it's hard to accept that you lost money by believing a snake oil salesman, but it's better to accept it and walk away then to stand with him in front of the people, defending him and his magical snake oil. Good luck with that!

Hate to break it to you but I didn't spend a dollar on this. I won't either until they have a finished product. I'm too old school to pay money up front for a wip, plus there is so much choice out there now of quality, albeit time consuming projects it's not even an issue.

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo