Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

OpFlashpoint Documentary

A new video from GVMERS is a documentary on the "rise and fall" of Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, Bohemia Interactive's debut military first-person shooter (thanks Ant). The video discusses the breakthrough nature of the game, conflicts between Bohemia Interactive and publisher Codemasters, and how this eventually led to Arma, the spiritual successor to OpFlashpoint that soldiers on to this day. Here's a bit:
In 1997, a video game company named Bohemia Interactive was established in Prague. The Czech Republic had historically never been a hotbed for video game development, but Bohemia’s founders – Marek Španěl, Ondřej Španěl, and Slavomír Pavlíček – were on a mission. They were determined to create a first person shooter that would capture the reality of war more accurately than any game before it; an engrossing simulation that would depict what real battlefields were like, and feature an unprecedented sense of scale and attention to detail.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: OpFlashpoint Documentary Jan 23, 2019, 02:57 Muscular Beaver

Numinar wrote on Jan 23, 2019, 01:37:
Yep, still brilliant. Those canned co-op missions with mildly randomised patrols were so awesome. Great SP mode as well. Also the helicopters felt weighty in a way that was missing from ARMA until ARMA3 had it's chopper update. Oh an the thing everyone remembers, the star-navigating escape mission for the downed airman story. Good shit.

Like Company of Heroes or Battlefield 1942 though (And maybe to a lesser extent PUBG), it was a "Lets ignore all the conventions and try and do this in a new and interesting way" risky venture that you just don't see anymore but the genre desperately needs. ARMA3 is a good platform but feels weighed down by it's own history and limitations.

ArmA 3 is weighted down by its fantasy stuff and other horrible design decisions that mainly are the fault of Dean Hall, who thankfully is gone now. Not to mention lack of content. ArmA 2 had an expansion shortly after its release and many DLCs shortly after that. It only took 3 years to get full content. But ArmA 3, after 6 years, still hasnt as much content, which actually makes some popular game modes impossible. Like Warfare.

They should do a real successor to OFP also playing in the 80s. Or maybe 90s.
Or at least return to reality and have a proper story.
Nobody cared much about the singleplayer in recent ArmAs.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: OpFlashpoint Documentary Jan 23, 2019, 01:37 Numinar

Yep, still brilliant. Those canned co-op missions with mildly randomised patrols were so awesome. Great SP mode as well. Also the helicopters felt weighty in a way that was missing from ARMA until ARMA3 had it's chopper update. Oh an the thing everyone remembers, the star-navigating escape mission for the downed airman story. Good shit.

Like Company of Heroes or Battlefield 1942 though (And maybe to a lesser extent PUBG), it was a "Lets ignore all the conventions and try and do this in a new and interesting way" risky venture that you just don't see anymore but the genre desperately needs. ARMA3 is a good platform but feels weighed down by it's own history and limitations.

4. Re: OpFlashpoint Documentary Jan 22, 2019, 20:14 Reactor

The first time I saw the box, I couldn't believe the game would be as good as it looked. I took a risk and bought it... and boy was I surprised.

So many good times...

3. Re: OpFlashpoint Documentary Jan 22, 2019, 17:21 SirKnight

I loved the original OFP and I still play it to this day.  

2. Re: OpFlashpoint Documentary Jan 22, 2019, 12:46 Muscular Beaver

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 10:45:
an engrossing simulation that would depict what real battlefields were like

I got shot by enemies I never saw so many times in that game.
That didnt change with ArmA 1 or 2 or 3.
Loved when AI could see through fallen over trees or bushes, while you never knew what hit you.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

1. Re: OpFlashpoint Documentary Jan 22, 2019, 10:45 Bill Borre

an engrossing simulation that would depict what real battlefields were like

I got shot by enemies I never saw so many times in that game.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >