Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

55. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 23, 2019, 05:43 Red886

obvious to me would first to end all the tax loopholes the ultra rich have been taking advantage off ( that includes ridiculous prices for art pieces as a form of money laundering , getting paid with untaxed stocks and stock options, having transport/food&lodging bought/leased under corporate so as to avoid property taxes, personal expenses under an executive card so the business can punch it in as business expenses, multiple salaries&benefits from being on charity boards, well charity in name only like the Clintons, ...etc etc ) .

Even as logical and uncontroversial as this is, i don't see any proper political caucus try to lobby for such a bill. Don;t even need to get to the point of adjusting the tax rate. By making such a huge jump, nothing will get done . Which is EXACTLY what the ultra rich wants.

and i don;t read Ars anymore.
From their very strong anti-Russian stance to the point of deliberately leaving out information ( akin to what BBC does for instance) , to their Democratic leanings and their Trump-unfriendly messaging, combined with their focus on everyday news rather than detailed long-reads , there is not much incentive to go on that site anymore

plus they ban those question the posted narrative willy nilly

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2019, 05:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 23, 2019, 03:19 Squirmer

Either you're a troll or a lost cause because "here's a photo of snow therefore there's no global warming" is the stupidest level you could descend to.  

53. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 23, 2019, 00:59 ventry

https://imgur.com/a/iBnV8sQ  

52. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 23, 2019, 00:37 Squirmer

ventry wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 22:35:
Squirmer wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 19:43:
ventry wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 19:02:
She just literately said "The world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change".
I doubt she "literately" said that

You sure about that.....

BWAHHAHAHA!

Here, I'll let her respond to you herself: https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1087890805715537920

51. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 23:10 jdreyer

ventry wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 22:35:
She just literately said "The world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change".

You sure about that.....

BWAHHAHAHA!

Because no politician ever has used hyperbole.

Oh, wait.

At least when AOC talks about the global warming "end of the world" it has a basis in fact.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

50. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 22:58 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 20:58:
That comment I guarantee will not age well.

Neither will anyone's children if we don't take that particular comment seriously.

Bravo. If Blue collected comments of the year, this exchange would be a contender.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

49. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 22:49 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 20:36:
If you think Monopoly is more fun if you get paid when landing on Free Parking, you can't just do it - everyone needs to agree to.

Protip, using non official house rules like this is part of why monopoly takes like 5 hours to play.

Also, personally, the only version of monopoly I'll play is the one with the 3rd dice to speed up things.

There are so many better board games than monopoly that take only an hour or so to play.

48. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 22:35 ventry

You sure about that.....

BWAHHAHAHA!

47. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 20:58 Creston

Neither will anyone's children if we don't take that particular comment seriously.

46. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 20:40 Beamer

theglaze wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 18:15:
Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 17:13:
I make as much as 8 or so average families of 4. Am I smarter than them? I'd guess that, within that 64 people...

Wait a second...

Did I ever prove my point! SMRT!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 20:39 Beamer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 19:11:
@Beamer
You're being trolled.
But you probably already guessed that.

I don't think that. The amount of middle class people that fight to make certain the 0.1% keep taking the lionshare of income is nuts. Often, it involves one of two fallacies:

1) That it isn't a zero-sum game, and we can all make more money together. This isn't factually accurate, the US only earns a certain amount per year. If one person takes more of it, 1000 people take less of it.

2) I'm constantly amazed at how many don't understand a marginal tax rate. While I've not seen evidence of that in this thread, Motley Fool published an article today about 401ks, and it seemed to think that if you made $80k, and put $5k in your 401k, you saved significantly by lowering yourself into a different tax bracket. That's a financial site! I've even known people who didn't want to work overtime, afraid it would knock them into a different tax bracket...

-------------

44. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 20:36 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 18:38:
I'd certainly like to keep most of what I earned.

If you don't want to keep what you've earned... then give it away... but don't force the rest of us to give it away. It's very easy to give someone elses money away.

1) And, weirdly, she's not proposing raising taxes on you.

2) The whole "you can always pay more" argument is bogus. One person doing that changes nothing. The system needs to be changed. If you think Monopoly is more fun if you get paid when landing on Free Parking, you can't just do it - everyone needs to agree to.

-------------

43. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 20:12 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 19:56:
@Beamer
You're being trolled.

I don't think that D-Rock and wtfman are trolling. They actually believe that a flat tax would be superior.

As for AOC, she has been brilliant. Agree or disagree, she is driving the conversation, challenging orthodoxies, and moving the Overton Window to the left. You can't really argue she's a bad politician(I don't mean you Redeye). We just spent 40 comments talking about her and her!
I think a flat tax is the way to go, and it probably does not have to be as high as 10%.
The trolling I was referring to is asinine statements like "Well... why don't you give away "6 or so's of families of 4's" of your salary."

I agree with you on AOC, She's great. When was the last time you saw congress critters on both sides of the isle so upset over a single person.

Now if only the one person responsible for the shutdown and soon to be responsible for 32 MILLION poor and working-class Americans losing nutrition assistance will pull his head out of his ass and realize that no informed American want's his racist, dangerous and ego-driven border wall, she can return to Congress and start reshaping America for a better future.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2019, 20:23.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

42. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 19:56 jdreyer

@Beamer
You're being trolled.

I don't think that D-Rock and wtfman are trolling. They actually believe that a flat tax would be superior.

As for AOC, she has been brilliant. Agree or disagree, she is driving the conversation, challenging orthodoxies, and moving the Overton Window to the left. You can't really argue she's a bad politician(I don't mean you Redeye). We just spent 40 comments talking about her and her!

41. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 19:47 wtf_man

@Beamer
You're being trolled.

If you are referring to me, please explain why you think I am trolling him, because that is not my intent.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

40. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 19:43 Squirmer

I doubt she "literately" said that, but in any case it's obvious what she meant given that the IPCC determined we have 12 years to limit warming or face a catastrophe. Argue with the world's climate scientists if you want, but I think you'll struggle.

39. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 19:11 RedEye9

@Beamer
You're being trolled.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

38. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 19:02 ventry

Whenever Occasional Cortex speaks everyone in the room passes out due to lack of O2 because of the gigantic vacuum between her ears.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

37. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 18:38 wtf_man

Anyway, "merit" is the dumbest concept possible, and an absolute weasel-word.

WTF_Man, you're not making $10MM a year. Khloe Kardashian, meanwhile, is earning somewhere between $15MM and $20MM a year.

Are you dumber than Khloe Kardashian, or lazier than her? I mean, clearly she merits exponentially more than you make.

Apparently she does merit that. I can't help a world we live in has enough dumb lemmings that make her poular enough to warrant that kind of money. And there is an industry stupid enough to pay her for that while they rake in even more on advertising and such. It's called reality... and sometimes folks rate more for the dumbest reasons in the world, unfortunatly. However, a majority of us actually EARN our living... and that is really where "merit" comes into play.

For me personally, I make as much as 8 or so average families of 4. Am I smarter than them? I'd guess that, within that 64 people, some are at least as smart. Do I work harder than them? I dunno, look at my posting history today and see how frequently I've been here. Your average construction worker definitely works harder than I do. Maybe something else happened in my life, other than just smarts or how hard I work, to get me where I am.

As do all the other people who basically fall into money, likely from inheritance. Because the American Dream isn't really about being an entrepreneur, as few of the 0.1% are, but about inheriting money. Takes money to make money!

Well... why don't you give away "6 or so's of families of 4's" of your salary. Not exactly knowing what you consider the salary for an average family of 4.... but it sounds like you make a hell of alot more than I do... and I'd certainly like to keep most of what I earned.

If you don't want to keep what you've earned... then give it away... but don't force the rest of us to give it away. It's very easy to give someone elses money away.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

36. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 22, 2019, 18:15 theglaze

I make as much as 8 or so average families of 4. Am I smarter than them? I'd guess that, within that 64 people...

Wait a second...

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >