Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned

A video of Battlefield 5 gameplay shows off what the game looks like when the graphics options in the game are turned down below the minimum level offered in the game menus (thanks [H]ardOCP). According to the clip, players are being banned from the game for using this trick, and it shows why, as it allows the player to see enemies that would otherwise not be visible. This raises the question of whether improving visibility in such a way is actually cheating, but the bans suggest DICE has already made their judgment on the matter. They note that many players use an external program to achieve this effect, but that this can be accomplished by editing some text config files as well, and question whether this can actually be detected by the game's anti-cheat software, or were the players who were banned for doing this only caught because they were streaming the game when using this technique.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 24, 2019, 02:11 Sepharo

My shit is still messed up. I don't even know how to contact Valve about this... "I read an article in your own steam forums about modifying settings for more performance in CS:GO... and uh, now I'm having problems with VAC (but I'm not banned?) ... Hopefully these aren't connected events? .. Oh and I'm trying to play CS:Source but the guide was for GO."\

edit: Well a restart didn't help but following the Valve guide did... unfortunately I tested more than one variable at a time and so I'm not sure what did it... but I both repaired the steam service and removed windows boot loader options (that I had't even modified). So I'm leaning towards repairing Steam, but wtf, there was just a few hours (of uptime) between it working and then having issues.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2019, 02:42.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 23, 2019, 17:29 Kain

Kxmode wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 18:45:
Putting in the option to lower to potato quality and then forgetting to QA for exploitative gameplay is all on Devs, not the players. It's not true hacking or exploiting since it's a graphical setting that's part of the game.

You have misunderstood and I will explain again. People are toggling very specific settings at the driver level, settings not even normally accessible in the default configuration programs supplied with Nvidia cards. Through this they are essentially fooling the games LOD and removing entire textures from the game. This is obviously cheating as it gives them an unfair advantage that's not otherwise achievable through the game. If you don't think this is cheating I welcome you try to it and risk your online accounts. This is doable in many other games and it is not reasonable to argue that developers are responsible for fixing it as the developers control over the users software/hardware is very limited.

43. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 23, 2019, 07:30 Dolnor Numbwit

I infomed a popular triple-A MMO team about a similar issue with Their In-Game Graphical Settings. I supplied a video of the issue, described what it reveals and gives player an unfair advantage over others. It works in PvE and PvP. That publisher never replied (as expected) and Never Changed Their Options. This "exploit" still exists.

Much like reporting bots (I've reported hundreds in ESO with video captures...90% of the bots-in-same-area-following-exactly-same-scripting remain to this day.

Kudos to publishers who ban cheaters. The rest who don't just won't get my money. >.<

TQQdles

42. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 23:44 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 15:54:
Kain wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 14:51:
This isn't people tweaking the config files for the game. They are going into Nvidia Inspector and toggling very specific settings at the driver level to achieve this. It is definitely cheating. That said, no one cares because the game is a hot mess. Having played a lot of BF V, I can almost understand otherwise reasonable players wanting to do this. It is really hard to discern your opponents in this game. Poor color palette choices, camo and their hideous forced smearing anti-aliasing all contribute to major visibility problems. There are several Youtube videos that demonstrate this more effectively to outsiders, google them to see some examples.

Would you call some of the stuff here cheating?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1315092927

Not asking leadingly, just curious.

In that guide the only things that even approach this are labeled:
Optimal Nvidia 3D settings inside Nvidia Control Panel
and
VibranceGUI

The first appears to be all performance related and normal things to tweak.
The second appears to be gamma/color vibrancy related.

While both of those allow changing visual settings outside of the game, neither will lower the detail of textures within the game let alone remove textures (such as the foliage in BFV).

Once you start talking about something like that, removing textures that normally obscure your view from a tool outside the game... that's definitely cheating.

Edit wtf: So I was just playing CS for a few hours. Took a break, checked out bluesnews. Followed that link from Beamer again, poked around, but didn't download anything or change anything on my system. Went back to go play some more CS, and I played for a few minutes and then was kicked from the server automatically and received this:
"An issue with your computer is blocking the VAC system. You cannot play on secure servers."
This being the guide that's linked if you have questions:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2117-ilzv-2837

Is Valve detecting simply visiting those guides as possible modification?
Or is this just a super weird coincidence and vac (or my computer) is just being weird.
This shit better not be happening tomorrow too...

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2019, 04:54.

41. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 23:39 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 18:45:
Putting in the option to lower to potato quality and then forgetting to QA for exploitative gameplay is all on Devs, not the players. It's not true hacking or exploiting since it's a graphical setting that's part of the game.

That's not what happened. Watch the video, read the comments here, it's editing driver config files, not game settings or game files.

40. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 18:45 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

39. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 16:55 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 16:04:
This isn't people tweaking the config files for the game. They are going into Nvidia Inspector and toggling very specific settings at the driver level to achieve this. It is definitely cheating. That said, no one cares because the game is a hot mess. Having played a lot of BF V, I can almost understand otherwise reasonable players wanting to do this. It is really hard to discern your opponents in this game. Poor color palette choices, camo and their hideous forced smearing anti-aliasing all contribute to major visibility problems. There are several Youtube videos that demonstrate this more effectively to outsiders, google them to see some examples.

If go in that direction you could also argue that tuning gamma settings via driver is cheating or that painting crosshair on screen via OSD is cheating...

I always ran BF4 with a selection of "super low" settings to fix the grass/bush/tree and clutter making the image and hence visibility dirty. But it was in-game settings for most part, aside from Gamma tuning which made the game look just less contrasty, which is great for visibility, high contrasts are the worst situation for visibility.

But in the end, it's the developer deciding what is or isn't cheating.
Yeah, I'm just curious where people here fall.
I don't know, personally. I don't think what I linked is cheating. Drawing on the monitor? I had considered it like crazy back in the day, making certain weapons much easier (especially in more recentish games, where some weapons don't give you an OSD reticule unless you are zoomed.) Some of this feels fine for casual, not fine for pro.

I'm on the hedge. Could see arguments either way. Ultimately don't think I care much, and yeah, agree it's up to the dev (though they should be pretty clear in communicating.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 16:04 eRe4s3r

If go in that direction you could also argue that tuning gamma settings via driver is cheating or that painting crosshair on screen via OSD is cheating...

I always ran BF4 with a selection of "super low" settings to fix the grass/bush/tree and clutter making the image and hence visibility dirty. But it was in-game settings for most part, aside from Gamma tuning which made the game look just less contrasty, which is great for visibility, high contrasts are the worst situation for visibility.

But in the end, it's the developer deciding what is or isn't cheating.

37. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 15:54 Beamer

-------------

36. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 15:35 eRe4s3r

Yep, great vid example here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj5mPuShilg

Also anyone even thinking of saying realism and tactics, remember that this is a game and this is abysmal gameplay. I only have the BF5 beta to really judge this but in that it was damn near impossible to spot anyone on their back prone due to the extreme post filtering going on, smear AA doesn't even describe it, the entire image is "dirty" and not at all clean and pixel perfect (like, funnily, Witcher 3 for example *is*)

35. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 14:51 Kain

34. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 14:46 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 08:36:
Also, I believe people do this in CS, pros, right? But it doesn't offer this level of advantage, and is all stuff they're editing in text files. Also drivers, if I recall. I remember, two years ago when I did a decent amount of CS:GO (with my skill level at this age being, at best decent), that there were a ton of tutorials for the settings the pros used, and it did require driver tweaks.

In any competitive game on Steam, players obtain items that they can sell on the Marketplace. Some items, especially those derived from CS:GO, trade for lots of money. Most don't play because it is fun. They play to make money from the Marketplace, and they cheat like nobody's business. Half-a-million bans nearly every six months for CS:GO alone tells you how much of a sham the Marketplace is. Valve needs to do the right thing than kill the Marketplace. All it does is breeds cheaters.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

33. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 14:37 Kxmode

Darks wrote on Jan 21, 2019, 19:17:
I cant figure out why these idiots are so obsessed with cheating when they know they are going to get caught. Why even play the game if you cant enjoy it for what it is?

Steam's market. Valve needs to get rid of the market immediately.

32. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 14:36 Kxmode

That's not cheating. That's not even exploiting. That's players using the game's low fidelity to their benefit. That's not on them. That's on the devs for putting that crap in their game and not bothering to QA it.  

31. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 13:53 HorrorScope

Is this where consoles in the end win? When they bring all the things needed from PC gaming, power and peripherals, they leave out one thing and that is a interface to allow cheats like this to happen? I could see that.  

30. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 11:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

I'm a little surprised people are so ambivalent about these settings, this is a major visual advantage.

I'm all for EA/DICE banning these people.

For people playing legitimately, do turn off film grain though, otherwise you simply cannot see anything.

29. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 11:27 eRe4s3r

So EA bans people over using the games (file based) settings?  

28. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 11:11 VaranDragon

If this were an actual BF game, you know how they used to be made, big open maps with multiple objectives spread pretty far apart and loads of vehicles then this would be a pretty big deal. As it is, this is not gonna matter that much as pro players/streamers have already pretty much abandoned this game.  

27. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 11:00 Riahderymnmaddog

Timmeh wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 10:25:
Dice can go to Hell and shove their SJW POS trashed battlefield v game up their a$$ on the way down.

You could not pay to to play this pos liberal whack job pro nazi fantasy.

Uggg I cant believe they didn't base this battlefield in history as they did with all the other battlefield's, there were no fucking chicks in BF1942, and the Nazis had rocket-packs just like real life.

26. Re: Battlefield 5 Graphics Cheaters Banned Jan 22, 2019, 10:40 Beamer

Timmeh wrote on Jan 22, 2019, 10:25:
Dice can go to Hell and shove their SJW POS trashed battlefield v game up their a$$ on the way down.

You could not pay to to play this pos liberal whack job pro nazi fantasy.

I'm sorry that women offend you so much.

Expected response: "You jerk, I'm not offended by women, but anyone making me see them is clearly a piece of shit, a whack job, and pro Nazi! For reasons! My anger has nothing to do with me having to see women, even if all of this is set off my me having to see women!"

-------------

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo