Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3

A post on Den of Geek says "Star Wars: EA Reportedly Will Not Let BioWare Make KOTOR Games." This sounds more sensational suggested by the source of the story, which is a tweet from Kotaku's Jason Schreier. This was part of a bigger discussion of cancelled Star Wars games. In response to a post saying that Knights of the Old Republic had a good "scoundrel" protagonist, but expressing doubts about trusting the BioWare anymore with such a project, Jason says BioWare has tried and failed more than once to get a green light for a third KOTOR game:

They've tried to make it happen, more than once from what I've heard. No luck

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 22, 2019, 10:15 Prez

Oh you silly, silly people... Don't you remember when EA announced their World of Warcraft clone "The Old Republic" and people were like "but we want Knights of the Old Republic 3" and the ever so bright mouthpieces at EA said " The Old Republic is KoTOR 3, 4, and 5! Now shut up and let us tell you what you want!"

Okay they didn't actually say the second part, but they very literally claimed that it would be KoTOR 3,4,&5, implying there would be no actual sequels. EA has been a soulless, creatively defunct copycat of whatever cynical cash grab is hot at the moment forever now, with their eye on monetization and nothing else. Utterly shit company.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 22, 2019, 04:52 VaranDragon

We need Dark Forces III. That is all.  

24. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 22:05 SunnyD

Creston wrote on Jan 21, 2019, 20:54:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2019, 19:16:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 21, 2019, 13:04:
I already gave up hope.

You can get a new hope.

See what I did there?

Just make sure it's not a Phantom Menace.

"No hope today. Hope tomorrow. There's always hope tomorrow." /paraphrased -- Cmdr "God" Ivanova, Babylon 5 Station

~Finis~

23. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 20:54 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2019, 19:16:
I already gave up hope.

You can get a new hope.

See what I did there?

Just make sure it's not a Phantom Menace.

22. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 19:17 RaZ0r!

Neverwinter Nights was a masterpiece, and the last game I really liked by BioWare. I'm sure KOTOR was good, but I'm not a Star Wars fan at all. The new stuff is just so commercial it's not fun anymore.  

21. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 19:16 jdreyer

I already gave up hope.

You can get a new hope.

See what I did there?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

20. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 19:14 jdreyer

Bioware: "We want to make a sequel to two of the most beloved Star Wars games ever made."
EA: "How are you going to monetize that?"
Bioware: "Monetize? No, we just want to tell a fantastic single player story."
EA: *click*

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 19:11 jdreyer

Half Life 3 KOTOR 3 confirmed!  

18. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 18:18 Acleacius

Ant wrote on Jan 21, 2019, 15:03:
I only played the original KOTOR. I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't touch its sequel since I read bad reviews.
I bet your thinking of reviews at the time of release. You might reconsider, since it was rushed out and unfinished NOT because of Obsidian.
There is a 'New Official' patch and an amazing Unofficial Patch.

Ten Years Later, Star Wars KOTOR II Gets An Official Update
Post Mortem
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords 85%
9/10 · Steam
Google 96%

Edit: IR Grammarically challenged.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2019, 21:14.

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

17. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 18:02 Acleacius

Hell finally froze over, I can actually say something good about ea! Faint Paperbag  

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

16. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 17:40 jacobvandy

Rhett wrote on Jan 21, 2019, 17:33:
I would wonder if it is also because it's a predominantly single-player game... How would they market microtransactions and lootboxes when you can't show off to your friends?

That's what I'm thinking. Ubisoft is doing it with Assassin's Creed, but maybe EA doesn't feel like it's worth it. It can't be that "they don't want people to be bad," 'cause all of their Star Wars properties that have been running strong for years include plenty of Sith, bounty hunter, etc. representation (SWTOR, SWBF, SWGOH). They're all literally split down the middle, offering the player equal choice of which alignment they want to play for.

If Disney weren't embracing the Dark Side, they sure as hell wouldn't have Vader and Stormtroopers roaming around their theme parks same as they do Mickey and princesses...

15. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 17:33 Rhett

I would wonder if it is also because it's a predominantly single-player game... How would they market microtransactions and lootboxes when you can't show off to your friends?  

14. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 16:52 Creston

Every day I hate the suits at EA more and more.  

13. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 16:12 El Pit

MattyC wrote on Jan 21, 2019, 15:51:
I only played the original KOTOR. I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't touch its sequel since I read bad reviews.

Who has been giving KOTOR2 bad reviews?!? Thems fightin' words! Fight

Seriously though, people had quibbles, but I remember it being received pretty well critically.

I liked KOTOR2 a lot but I remember that there were news about it being rushed out of the door more or less unfinished. It has been very buggy after release and it is true that the final chapter felt kind of rushed. Up to then it was great (despite the maaaany bugs).

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

12. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 16:08 Turd Ferguson

MattyC wrote on Jan 21, 2019, 15:51:

Seriously though, people had quibbles, but I remember it being received pretty well critically.

I really enjoyed both games, one of the few titles that kept me interested enough to play through both paths.

11. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 15:51 MattyC

10. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 15:39 Jivaro

I like the SWTOR "universe" more then the current SW cinema "universe". Another KOTOR or just keep adding chapters to SWTOR...either way I am good.

When I say I like it more...that isn't to say I dislike the new stuff in the cinemas. I like them too, just not as much. There is more variety in the storyline of the Old Republic, as opposed to the current cinema stuff which seem to be unable to tell a story that doesn't involve daddy issues and a Skywalker. Huge universe and they just don't seem to be able to get out of that. Seems like lazy storytelling to me.

9. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 15:03 Ant

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

8. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 14:28 CJ_Parker

Good. The KotOR setting was always a stupid crutch anyway to work around Lucas' control freak tendencies with regard to the PT/OT timeframe.
Fuck the Old Republic. So boring. It's always the same Jedi have the upper hand or they are on the verge of extinction and vice versa for the Sith.

Besides, Obsidian did a much better job anyway. BioWare's KotOR was abysmal. A boring piece of shit with tons of consolitis to add insult to injury.

Anyone remember the "vast" desert of Tatooine that had the size of a kindergarten sandbox due to the original ShitBox' RAM limitations?
Yeah, thank you very much for sparing us from more of that garbage.

If Disney ever greenlights a Star Wars RPG again then let's do it in the "modern" SW era. Between III and IV is still pretty unexplored territory to this day in gaming.

A dark'n'gritty Star Wars RPG during the order 66 days and Vader's rise to power could be quite interesting (Disney ain't gonna do this, of course, cause dark'n'gritty wouldn't be "family friendly" enough for them). Or a new one after/in between episode VI/VII/VIII exploring the rise of the new Jedi order.

But no more KotOR please. Who gives a fuck what happened thousands of years ago? It's done, it's wrapped, fuck it.

7. Re: BioWare Wanted to Make KOTOR 3 Jan 21, 2019, 14:07 Fion

Silent Bob wrote on Jan 21, 2019, 12:45:
It's a shame... but I don't think EA or Disney would green light it these days regardless of which studio was actually making it. They want games that will tie into existing and future movies not completely separate storylines and characters.

This. After all, the moment Disney bought the IP, they wiped clean Star War's continuity. Anything that happened in books or games before or after the EP 1-6 was officially revoked.

Disney doesn't want some stupid video game company deciding some of the far past lore when, Disney might (never) make some shittily-written movie set in that time to create a (painfully boring) lore for the era themselves.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2019, 14:31.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo