On Destiny's Destiny

The new This Week At Bungie update has word from Destiny Franchise Director Luke Smith's on the future of the shooter series following their conscious uncoupling from Microsoft. Word is: "We're thinking about what it means to be truly independent, what it means to self-publish, and crucially, what Destiny's future can now look like for our players." He share three specific thoughts:
First: Our sincere thanks to the people at Activision who've helped bring Destiny to our players, High Moon Studios for their wonderful collaboration on Forsaken, and Vicarious Visions who helped establish a Destiny community on PC, worked with us on Warmind, and who is currently readying their Destiny swan song with content that will appear in the upcoming Season of [Redacted].

Next: In the short-term, we're continuing to build the content we’ve promised for the Annual Pass. We've learned a lot from Black Armory that we will apply to future releases, most notably that we'd like the beginning experiences of content drops to be a better point of convergence for the playerbase. In Black Armory, we set the Power requirement for the first forge too high, and that meant it wasn't a great chance to jump into some new content. We want to find the line between new content that many players can play, and aspirational content for players to progress toward. We're exploring improvements to catch-up mechanics for players in upcoming seasons.

Last: Long-term, Bungie is committed to Destiny. We created the universe and we hold its future entirely in our hands. The vast majority of the team is hard at work envisioning future experiences, enemies, and ways to play the Guardian you've been building since 2014. We're going to keep doing that.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: On Destiny's Destiny
Jan 19, 2019, 11:36
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 19, 2019, 11:36
Jan 19, 2019, 11:36

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 19, 2019, 09:05:
Destiny2 is like an MMO for kindergarden kids.
You have one mission type. ONE. 1. I can't stress this enough. Kill all enemies in a specific area, or survive in that area for a specific length of time.

A lot of FPS in any era are that. You gotta gun, survive and dodgeball!

As for Desitny, smooth gun play is good, content is ok, builds are ok'ish, loot is boring, well that's how I see it.

Jan 19, 2019, 11:32
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 19, 2019, 11:32
Jan 19, 2019, 11:32

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 18, 2019, 20:53:
Graham wrote on Jan 18, 2019, 19:30:
I've had more fun in the Destiny universe than in any other game. Nothing you grumpy malcontents say will change that.

And let's face it, most of you hate fun anyway. Comments on this site hating a game usually indicates, uniformly, that it's going to be pretty good.

Nah you're just new to games. Many of the comments are from veterans of fps games, you wouldn't understand if you didn't grow up on Doom, Quake and duke 3D and watch gamings downward slide into f2p microtransaction drm ridden games because of dumb people like you allowing them to steal the software.

Then go play those, they still exist. Micro's suck and can be ignored, DRM has nothing to do with gameplay.

Jan 19, 2019, 09:05
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 19, 2019, 09:05
Jan 19, 2019, 09:05

Numinar wrote on Jan 19, 2019, 07:47:
I've had more fun in the Destiny universe than in any other game. Nothing you grumpy malcontents say will change that.

And let's face it, most of you hate fun anyway. Comments on this site hating a game usually indicates, uniformly, that it's going to be pretty good.

Nah you're just new to games. Many of the comments are from veterans of fps games, you wouldn't understand if you didn't grow up on Doom, Quake and duke 3D and watch gamings downward slide into f2p microtransaction drm ridden games because of dumb people like you allowing them to steal the software.

Maybe he is but I agree with him. We would have murdered for something as awesome as Destiny in 1996, and plenty of us enjoy it now.

I grew up with those same games. Remember Doom 2? When all a sequel needed was a new weapon, a few new enemies and textures to go with the new levels? I loved it back then and probably played it over a dozen times beginning to end but then everyone got on the bandwagon and doom clone became a pejorative. It had network co-op but it wasn't great.

We are so far beyond what those old games did. People are still free to make them like that if they want to. I don't think they make much money or there would be a lot more of them. But FPS is the place where the genre exploded, diversified, and evolved in all the right ways. Plenty of other genres are moribund and struggle these days, FPS is not one of them.

And shitty business practices aside, games have never been cheaper. I paid more than I do now for games back then even before you factor inflation. If they want to try and upsell me on some bullshit I will ignore then go for it. The best games know not to piss off the player-base with that shit. We all remember the great expansion packs of yore but forget that the vast majority of them were rubbish.

And the way they handle online is so much better. Games usually just work now. It used to be such a pain in the arse only super nerds like us could work out. Things are better now if you just think for a second or two about it.

Sorry but that's just lipservice. Yes there are great games today, the latest Doom comes to mind of a FPS game done well, for example in comparison Destiny2 is just plain garbage.

Destiny2 is like an MMO for kindergarden kids. You know those fake Laptops for babies? Thats what Destiny 2 is.

You have one mission type. ONE. 1. I can't stress this enough. Kill all enemies in a specific area, or survive in that area for a specific length of time. The enemies are bullet sponges that can barely scratch you and the bosses are usually not much better. You mentioned Doom 1 and 2 and how we would have killed for Destiny in 1996. Maybe for it's graphics. Because that's all it has going for it. The engine and the great gunplay are completely wasted in this game. The level design is, omg, well let me just say that Doom 1 had better level design.

There is no risk. No reason to play, except to waste time. It's basically easy mode all the way through except for raids which are the only part of the game that seems semi-interesting or challenging.

Even the PvP is a joke. There are NO factions, NO interesting interactions between players in the world. It's a sad, dumbed down game compared to many many games that have paved the way in this direction.

Jan 19, 2019, 07:47
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 19, 2019, 07:47
Jan 19, 2019, 07:47

Maybe he is but I agree with him. We would have murdered for something as awesome as Destiny in 1996, and plenty of us enjoy it now.

I grew up with those same games. Remember Doom 2? When all a sequel needed was a new weapon, a few new enemies and textures to go with the new levels? I loved it back then and probably played it over a dozen times beginning to end but then everyone got on the bandwagon and doom clone became a pejorative. It had network co-op but it wasn't great.

We are so far beyond what those old games did. People are still free to make them like that if they want to. I don't think they make much money or there would be a lot more of them. But FPS is the place where the genre exploded, diversified, and evolved in all the right ways. Plenty of other genres are moribund and struggle these days, FPS is not one of them.

And shitty business practices aside, games have never been cheaper. I paid more than I do now for games back then even before you factor inflation. If they want to try and upsell me on some bullshit I will ignore then go for it. The best games know not to piss off the player-base with that shit. We all remember the great expansion packs of yore but forget that the vast majority of them were rubbish.

And the way they handle online is so much better. Games usually just work now. It used to be such a pain in the arse only super nerds like us could work out. Things are better now if you just think for a second or two about it.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jan 19, 2019, 07:11
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 19, 2019, 07:11
Jan 19, 2019, 07:11

Ugh I never thought of it like that. They are huge sluts. IIRC they actually jumped from Apple to Microsoft and then Activision. What's next, EA? Fuuuuuuuuck I dont like where this could be headed.. maybe CDPR can be their sugar daddies?

Jan 18, 2019, 20:53
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 20:53
Jan 18, 2019, 20:53

Jan 18, 2019, 19:30
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 19:30
Jan 18, 2019, 19:30

Jan 18, 2019, 18:43
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 18:43
Jan 18, 2019, 18:43

I was saving sugar for my wedding night!

Jan 18, 2019, 15:55
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 15:55
Jan 18, 2019, 15:55

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2019, 15:41:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 18, 2019, 13:42:
Creston wrote on Jan 18, 2019, 13:20:
Uncoupling from Microsoft? They were part of Activision?

I think we can forgive Blue the slip. Weren't they "with" Microsoft before they were "with" Activision?

So basically Bungie is a slut?

By the most puritanical of definitions maybe... Two "relationships" in 19 years is only slutty if you save yourself for marriage and would rather die than divorce.

Jan 18, 2019, 15:41
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 15:41
Jan 18, 2019, 15:41

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 18, 2019, 13:42:

I think we can forgive Blue the slip. Weren't they "with" Microsoft before they were "with" Activision?

So basically Bungie is a slut?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jan 18, 2019, 13:42
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 13:42
Jan 18, 2019, 13:42

Jan 18, 2019, 13:20
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 13:20
Jan 18, 2019, 13:20

Jan 18, 2019, 13:11
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 13:11
Jan 18, 2019, 13:11

Gamers are stupid..

they'll bite on bungie's bullshit a 3rd time.

Myself, I'm not that dumb.. not buying anything destiny/bungie related again without 6 months of solid reviews.

Jan 18, 2019, 11:12
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 11:12
Jan 18, 2019, 11:12

... our publisher is interested in what we can milk for the sequel ...

... how can we get you to buy more lame stuff ....

... we learned alot from not listening to you before and are now ready to try to do it again ....

Jan 18, 2019, 10:32
El Pit

Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 10:32
Jan 18, 2019, 10:32
 El Pit

Long term commitment in gaming - three years? Four years?
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Jan 18, 2019, 10:20
Re: On Destiny's Destiny Jan 18, 2019, 10:20
Jan 18, 2019, 10:20

Nice to see they admitted the armory mistake, but its to late now. I left after this BS.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older