Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial Underway

The promised free trial is now underway for Blackout, the battle royale mode in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4. This is available now through the Blizzard Entertainment Battle.net desktop application and will be playable until January 23rd. For those who get caught up in this, the first-person shooter is also on sale for up to 33% off between now and January 27th. Here are the details:

Don't miss your chance to drop into Blackout and leave none standing—play the Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Battle Royale mode FREE for a limited time!

Black Ops comes to life in a massive Battle Royale experience, combining Black Ops signature combat with fun vehicles, unique weapons, and tactical equipment on the biggest map in Call of Duty history.

The Blackout Free Trial includes:

• Access to the Blackout Battle Royale mode
  • All the latest Blackout map updates, including the Hijacked drop zone
  • Matchmaking with all Blackout players
  • All progression saved and transferred for those who upgrade to the full version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial Underway Jan 18, 2019, 12:42 Retired

Since Rings of Elysium was released, I have not played PUBG or CoD. Fixes what is wrong with both games and has better mechanics. Also has a vertical plane upon which to fight.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial Underway Jan 18, 2019, 11:39 Sepharo

Osc8r wrote on Jan 18, 2019, 06:09:
bigspender wrote on Jan 18, 2019, 06:04:
the problem with all Battle Royale games is that you are at a huge disadvantage to shoot, or get kills up until the end of the game where you make the final kill or two in order to win.

It's kind of weird to play a shooter where you are effectively punished to shoot.

Not really. The good thing about the genre is theres different ways to play, it's up to the player. When you first pickup the game you'll probably have one goal - to be #1. After a while your goal will likely to change, to be #1 but with a lot of kills. Then you will continually try and beat your kill record whilst coming #1.

Which to me at least, is far more challenging and rewarding than trying to top a scoreboard round after round on a tiny map on repeat.

Though I do have a couple of friends who enjoy the genre because they can just play passive and just try and kill the last guy. To each their own.

And that's not even getting into the "clear your area" strategy where kills are important to getting to #1 regardless of if you care about a high kill count or not. You won't have to camp in a room in the center of the circle if you play the edges and actively engage any enemy you're aware of nearby.
In fact to counter the idea that "you are effectively punished to shoot", I'd say that not shooting is more debilitating. You're likely to be surrounded by players that you aren't aware of and will be at a great disadvantage if you play silently and avoiding encounters until late... Also your gear will be handicapped if you're not looting bodies (that you make by killing them), it's a pyramid scheme, you need those bodies under you gathering up the best weapons, meds, and ammo if you want to be properly supplied for the end game.

6. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial Underway Jan 18, 2019, 06:09 Osc8r

bigspender wrote on Jan 18, 2019, 06:04:
the problem with all Battle Royale games is that you are at a huge disadvantage to shoot, or get kills up until the end of the game where you make the final kill or two in order to win.

It's kind of weird to play a shooter where you are effectively punished to shoot.

Not really. The good thing about the genre is theres different ways to play, it's up to the player. When you first pickup the game you'll probably have one goal - to be #1. After a while your goal will likely to change, to be #1 but with a lot of kills. Then you will continually try and beat your kill record whilst coming #1.

Which to me at least, is far more challenging and rewarding than trying to top a scoreboard round after round on a tiny map on repeat.

Though I do have a couple of friends who enjoy the genre because they can just play passive and just try and kill the last guy. To each their own.

5. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial Underway Jan 18, 2019, 06:04 bigspender

4. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial Underway Jan 17, 2019, 20:29 JediPunisher

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 17, 2019, 15:46:
Is this game any good? …

Blackout: I despise it! I love the idea of looting to outfit your character and hunting a huge map for others. However, I hate spending 15 minutes getting myself well equipped only to be blindsided or sniped... or beaten by someone with a shotgun who has been hiding in a closet for the whole game. Once killed, it's over... you're just spectating which is no fun.

They really need to change things up. Here's my suggestion: Instead of last man standing, first to 10 kills wins. Once killed, you randomly respawn minus your gear, but what's left of it after being picked over is retrievable. Add GPS tagging to certain gear. If your killer looted your weapons, he is marked on the map for you to take your revenge. This would make for much more interesting solo games and more fun for poor players.

Regular MP: It's still COD. Being spawn killed sucks; being killed through walls with FMJ sucks. I'm working on my 3rd prestige, but still getting my ass handed to me... It's still fun though.

SP Campaign: NONE! I've completed every previous COD on Veteran. The stories are forgettable, but that campaigns were usually enjoyable. I miss it.

Zombies: Until now, I've never been a big fan of Zombies mode. Surprisingly, this is the most fun I've had with BO4. It was expanded this time to three base maps to make up for lack of a SP campaign. Last night I had a blast making it to round 54 on the map IX; It took 4 hours. I enjoyed it so much that for the first time ever, I sprung for the season pass which includes 5 more zombies maps (3 unreleased).

In summary, Blackout is disappointing but BO4 as a whole is better than expected and monopolizes much of my free time... and my backlog of great games continues to grow.

3. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial Underway Jan 17, 2019, 20:12 Sepharo

Between Blackout, Fortnite, and PUBG ... I'll take PUBG.

Blackout has much better movement (not clunky) but I find the map boring, the weapons underwhelming, and the gun fights are... too fast. Not in TTK, as I've argued here before, you really gotta spray people down, but just the movement speed and the heal speed are too fast. I had much more fun playing classic DM in BO4.

Fortnite has better weapons and gun fight IMO, but I can't stand the hyper building aspect.

Finally that leaves PUBG... I just think it's the definitive entry in the genre... it feels the most like a battle royale. Wide open spaces, looting and making good use of the cards you've been dealt. Slower fights (but less bullet hits for a kill). It feels real-er.

2. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial Underway Jan 17, 2019, 16:38 Osc8r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 17, 2019, 15:46:
Is this game any good?

"But just download and try it!" you say!

"Well, it's 85GB, and I don't want to fill/needlessly thrash my SSD", I reply.

Comparisons to other BR games welcome, I tried Fortnite and wasn't really impressed, can't tolerate the ARMA engine for PLUNKBAT, although to be fair, I haven't bought PUBG/PLUNKBAT.

If you enjoy shallow console games, and where you run and slide around at super human speeds, but where fights last, and your single life ends, in under 0.01 seconds give it a shot.

Wasn't for me, it just felt like you usual COD game but with BR tacked on, but then again i also hated BF5 which also had a ridiculously low TTK IMO.

I personally preferred Fortnite due to the longer engagements, and where's there's more to each fight than 'whoever shoots first wins'.

I really dont see the appeal of spending all that time gearing up, just to be killed in 0.01 seconds to someone peaking around a corner or hiding in a bush, which is the gameplay low ttks encourage.

Low ttks dont suit the br genre at all imo, which is probably one of the main reasons fortnite currently has 10x more viewers than their nearest competitor.

That said I do get sick of continual building spam battles as well, so I'm hopng to find a game with a middle ground between pubg/cod and fortnite. Still waiting.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2019, 06:18.

1. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial Underway Jan 17, 2019, 15:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

Is this game any good?

"But just download and try it!" you say!

"Well, it's 85GB, and I don't want to fill/needlessly thrash my SSD", I reply.

Comparisons to other BR games welcome, I tried Fortnite and wasn't really impressed, can't tolerate the ARMA engine for PLUNKBAT, although to be fair, I haven't bought PUBG/PLUNKBAT.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo