Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep

This week's release of the new Legacy of the First Blade - Shadow Heritage DLC for Assassin's Creed Odyssey has met with controversy, as can be seen in this thread on Reddit, which includes spoiler warnings, which should also apply to the rest of this story. At issue is how the add-on concludes with a scenario where the player gets to choose between a few options that all lead to the same conclusion. As this video shows (thanks PC Gamer), the story ends with a forced heterosexual relationship, destroying player agency for characters already being played as gay. This has prompted a response from Ubisoft in the form of a message from Creative Director Jonathan Dumont apologizing for the misstep:

Reading through player responses of our new DLC for Legacy of the First Blade, Shadow Heritage, we want to extend an apology to players disappointed by a relationship your character partakes in. The intention of this story was to explain how your character’s bloodline has a lasting impact on the Assassins, but looking through your responses it is clear that we missed the mark.

Alexios/Kassandra realizing their own mortality and the sacrifice Leonidas and Myrrine made before them to keep their legacy alive, felt the desire and duty to preserve their important lineage. Our goal was to let players choose between a utilitarian view of ensuring your bloodline lived on or forming a romantic relationship. We attempted to distinguish between the two but could have done this more carefully as we were walking a narrow line between role-play choices and story, and the clarity and motivation for this decision was poorly executed. As you continue the adventure in next episode Bloodline, please know that you will not have to engage in a lasting romantic relationship if you do not desire to.

We have read your responses online and taken them to heart. This has been a learning experience for us. Understanding how attached you feel to your Kassandra and your Alexios is humbling and knowing we let you down is not something we take lightly. We’ll work to do better and make sure the element of player choice in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey carries through our DLC content so you can stay true to the character you have embodied throughout.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 18, 2019, 03:58 jdreyer

Paragon of Virtue wrote on Jan 17, 2019, 03:16:
Never seen this much post-deleting in a thread on Blues. I guess 2019 is the new 2018. :-)

That said, Ubisoft are making a lot of people angry lately. Quite the fall they are going through on social media.

They've still got it better than Bethesda.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 20:38 Beamer

ReactorCore wrote on Jan 17, 2019, 11:54:
It still takes a man and a woman to have a baby. Not sure why this is so shocking and upsetting to folks.

Not everything in life, or this game, revolves around procreation. In fact, none of my sexual relations have! Crazy!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 20:05 Sepharo

ReactorCore wrote on Jan 17, 2019, 11:54:
It still takes a man and a woman to have a baby. Not sure why this is so shocking and upsetting to folks.

It's not. You should probably read the actual story.

43. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 11:54 ReactorCore

42. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 10:19 Creston

In any case, on topic, I do think Ubisoft did this poorly, but I don't feel they did it out of any sort of homophobia or anything, like a lot of people across the internet are trying to turn it into.

They're just trying to ramrod the whole direct lineage thing in there, and because of that, well, the hero needs to have kids. It's no different than when Ezio started getting the hots for that (admittedly very gorgeous) lady in AC:Revelations.

I just fail to see why they felt the need to make it such a big part of the DLC. Ubisoft, here's a hint: Few people want to deal with the whole "kids" thing in a videogame. Very few. Just because sometimes it works out (God of War, most notably), doesn't mean that by and large, it's just nothing but an irritation.

Why didn't you just leave this for a cutscene all the way at the end of the entire DLC series, and then preferably after the credits had rolled?

41. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 10:16 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 17, 2019, 06:58:
What the actual fuck is wrong with some of you people?!

I feel that this is a question that needs to be asked far more frequently.

40. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 09:37 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 17, 2019, 06:58:
I work one 18 hour day, go to sleep, and wake up to find Blue wielding the * REMOVED * hammer like a meth fueled Thor. Something I have rarely seen in the 15 years I have been commenting.

Don't include me in this debacle. I was caught (albeit knowingly) by the
  • Quoting one of the other now-deleted posts
  • Wink

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

39. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 17, 2019, 09:11 Task

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 17, 2019, 07:34:
    Task wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 23:14:
    Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 21:47:
    Historical Greece post

So are you saying that the game is no where really close to depicting the lives of ancient greeks and sex, and the game depicts sex acts through modern Human depiction?

Do you have a link to this information btw?

Without having played the game, my default assumption would be that they projected modern attitudes towards sexuality onto their ancient Greek characters.

The wikipedia article on the subject covers most of the same ground: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Greece

I haven't played it, but I think they would have to have modern depiction anyways (being that it is first a foremost a game) since at least with pedastry that totally would get Ubisoft banned.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
    Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

38. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 08:03 Ozmodan

Seriously, how ridiculous!

As the the Greek sexual dispositions of the time, really?

I think most of you including the developers have completely forgotten it is a game!!!

37. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 17, 2019, 07:34 Scottish Martial Arts

Task wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 23:14:
    Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 21:47:
    Historical Greece post

So are you saying that the game is no where really close to depicting the lives of ancient greeks and sex, and the game depicts sex acts through modern Human depiction?

Do you have a link to this information btw?

Without having played the game, my default assumption would be that they projected modern attitudes towards sexuality onto their ancient Greek characters.

The wikipedia article on the subject covers most of the same ground: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Greece

36. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 06:58 Burrito of Peace

I work one 18 hour day, go to sleep, and wake up to find Blue wielding the * REMOVED * hammer like a meth fueled Thor. Something I have rarely seen in the 15 years I have been commenting.

35. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 04:36 NKD

Well when the thread gets shit up with homophobia it's only fair that Blue comes in and cleans house IMO.  

You've made a potential enemy today, sign!

34. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 03:16 Paragon of Virtue

Never seen this much post-deleting in a thread on Blues. I guess 2019 is the new 2018. :-)

That said, Ubisoft are making a lot of people angry lately. Quite the fall they are going through on social media.

http://www.sorenkristensen.com/site

33. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 03:05 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Jan 17, 2019, 01:47:
    If you're asking "but why was *my* post deleted?" The answer is one of the following:

• Intolerance

• Insults

• "Hey, Blue. What did you do last night?"
    "Well, let me tell ya..."

So, Blue, do you have a pager service that gets you up at 1AM for emergencies like this?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

32. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 01:47  Blue 

If you're asking "but why was *my* post deleted?" The answer is one of the following:

• Intolerance

• Insults

•  

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
    Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

31. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 00:42 Sepharo

Darks wrote on Jan 17, 2019, 00:11:
    Awetopsy wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 23:58:
    Ive been playing the game avoiding any romantic relationships... because I dont want them. Im kinda disappointed that this dlc will force it on me.

This is the exact same approach I took too. Cant stand all this BS in games.

So you commiserate with the others. Your RPG character was forced into a relationship that you didn't intend them to have and previously wasn't a necessary aspect in the base game.

30. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 00:39 Sepharo

I get the impression that a lot of people here didn't actually read Blue's write-up or the links.

It's a laziness/cheapness problem. They broke their own game narrative.
    In the base game they allowed players to have gay romance and then in the DLC instead of coming up with a way to handle that previous choice they forced a hetero relationship. Could have spent some extra time and money to make sure they didn't break the player's story.

They also let you pick to play as female or male right? It'd be like if the DLC came out and as you continued your story and entered the DLC content suddenly you were the opposite sex in the cutscenes etc. ... bad production quality. Apology was due.

29. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 17, 2019, 00:11 Darks

Awetopsy wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 23:58:
    Ive been playing the game avoiding any romantic relationships... because I dont want them. Im kinda disappointed that this dlc will force it on me.

This is the exact same approach I took too. Cant stand all this BS in games.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

28. Re: Ubisoft Apologizes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC Misstep Jan 16, 2019, 23:58 Awetopsy

27. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 16, 2019, 23:41 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Not quite understanding the "outrage" over this DLC to be honest. If the main thrust of the DLC was to tell a story where the main characters continue their bloodline/lineage then a heterosexual union of some type was really the only option in Ancient Greece. Not everyone in history got to choose their "happy ever after" the way they wanted. Sometimes you did what duty dictated.  

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo