Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game

Kotaku has an update to their still unconfirmed report that EA has cancelled the open-world Star Wars game that was in the works at EA Vancouver. Speaking with more anonymous "people familiar" with the project, they have details on the game, which was code-named Orca, and word that this was shelved in favor of a smaller project that will be released sooner than Orca would have been. They speculate this will come late next year, connecting it to the theory that this is when the next generation of consoles will arrive:

This project, which was code-named Orca, was very early in development but would involve playing as a scoundrel or bounty hunter who could explore various open-world planets and work with different factions across the Star Wars universe.

When EAís top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date for Orca, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled Orca in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project thatís now aimed for much soonerólikely, late 2020, which also happens to be around the time that Iíve heard next-gen consoles will launch. (Might be a bit earlier; might be a bit later. From what Iíve heard, next-gen plans are definitely still in flux.)

View
13. Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game Jan 16, 2019, 16:10 Osc8r

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 11:48:
Prez wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 10:42:
I spend the largest portion of my game browsing time on Steam (mostly because there is a cubic fuckton of shit to sift through) and honestly, I am glad that EA games aren't on there.
I've come to the realization that I play indie games about 90% of the time despite having a high end 4k gaming machine. I've gotten into the habit of mentally filtering out the AAA garbage that dominate Steam and look for the indie gems that I actually enjoy playing. It's frustrating that the same garbage AAA titles always dominate the Steam charts when there's much better stuff that no one ever sees.

Yep, i'm pretty much in the same boat. Most AAA games these days are just re-hashes of the same old shit we've played for the past 20+ years. The originality is now found in Indie games, which where i spend the majority of my gaming time.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 16, 10:42 Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game Prez
  2. Jan 16, 11:17  Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game Spektr
  9. Jan 16, 13:20   Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game eRe4s3r
  11. Jan 16, 14:10    Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game Wesp5
  12. Jan 16, 15:15     Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game Mashiki Amiketo
  5. Jan 16, 11:48  Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game BIGtrouble77
>> 13. Jan 16, 16:10   Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game Osc8r
  3. Jan 16, 11:20 Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game Creston
  8. Jan 16, 12:20  Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game CJ_Parker
  10. Jan 16, 13:56  Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game jdreyer
  4. Jan 16, 11:36 Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game aka_STEVE
  6. Jan 16, 11:49 Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game El Pit
  7. Jan 16, 12:20  Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game Luke
  14. Jan 16, 16:30 Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game Cutter
  15. Jan 16, 18:04 Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game HorrorScope
  16. Jan 17, 00:39  Re: Rumor Update: Star Wars Cancellation Was for Smaller Game NamecaF

footer

Blue's News logo