Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors

With their new GeForce RTX 2060 cards arriving today, NVIDIA announces the release of new GeForce Game Ready 417.71 WHQL drivers with support for the 2060 as well as the first pass at their new G-SYNC support for some FreeSync monitors. G-SYNC will automatically work for the listed monitors, and they also include instructions on how to enable it for other monitors, which may or may not offer acceptable results. Word is: "If your monitor isn’t listed, you can enable the tech manually from the NVIDIA Control Panel. It may work, it may work partly, or it may not work at all."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 17, 2019, 13:03 Kain

People only need to read todays article about the various Freesync monitor implementations to see the varying problems. Some support LFC, some do not. Some have a wide range, others are very narrow and so on. The only downside of GSync was the FPGA and yes it was a pretty significant one which drove up the cost.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 16, 2019, 18:12 HorrorScope

D-Rock wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 14:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 10:31:
AMD won this round.

Umm...no. This change gives me, an NVIDIA owner, even more monitor options than before. There is no reason for me to buy an AMD card with this change. In fact, I'd be more likely to buy an NVIDIA card again since I will always have more monitor options.

NVIDIA provided a superior solution to something significantly awesome well before AMD did. They got my money then, and will likely continue to get it in the future.

How did they win?

I don't know the last time AMD/ATI won a GPU round, hate Nvidia if one must, but they deliver performance if at a premium price. Yes adding freesync was a win yesterday for a lot of nvidia owners.

30. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 16, 2019, 14:48 D-Rock

AMD won this round.

Umm...no. This change gives me, an NVIDIA owner, even more monitor options than before. There is no reason for me to buy an AMD card with this change. In fact, I'd be more likely to buy an NVIDIA card again since I will always have more monitor options.

NVIDIA provided a superior solution to something significantly awesome well before AMD did. They got my money then, and will likely continue to get it in the future.

How did they win?

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 16, 2019, 13:09 Mordecai Walfish

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 02:40:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 00:44:
That's odd. I'm using a 980ti with ultra textures and that has 6gb too, and the game runs buttery smooth. Maybe try toggling from dx12 to dx11. I use DX12 as it gives me best performance with future frame rendering turned off, but it had given me issues on a couple maps with stutters that i boiled down to nvidia control panel settings.. this game really doesnt like it when you have high quality texture filtering forced in nvidia drivers. when i made a custom profile for bf5 that sets it to the nvidia default (quality), the issues seemed to go away. forced nvidia control panel high quality filtering also seems to break anisotrophic filtering in the game.

His example was with Ray Tracing turned on on BF5 as well. So it's a little apples/oranges. Yes other vids show BF5 without ray tracing using 4k of vram 1080P ultra. Continuing on in the video he linked, the guy presenting thought the stuttering could be because of so many times he toggled options, he restarted the game and it was smooth, it did lose several frames though vs High Text w/Ray Tracing.

Ultra uses slightly over 5.5gb of vram for me @ 1080p with no ray tracing, so maybe that is it. ray tracing and the future dlss addition are sure to chew up some more of that, but no doubt nvidia/dice will have some optimizations in place for when that combo becomes possible.

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 16, 2019, 02:40 HorrorScope

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 00:44:
That's odd. I'm using a 980ti with ultra textures and that has 6gb too, and the game runs buttery smooth. Maybe try toggling from dx12 to dx11. I use DX12 as it gives me best performance with future frame rendering turned off, but it had given me issues on a couple maps with stutters that i boiled down to nvidia control panel settings.. this game really doesnt like it when you have high quality texture filtering forced in nvidia drivers. when i made a custom profile for bf5 that sets it to the nvidia default (quality), the issues seemed to go away. forced nvidia control panel high quality filtering also seems to break anisotrophic filtering in the game.

His example was with Ray Tracing turned on on BF5 as well. So it's a little apples/oranges. Yes other vids show BF5 without ray tracing using 4k of vram 1080P ultra. Continuing on in the video he linked, the guy presenting thought the stuttering could be because of so many times he toggled options, he restarted the game and it was smooth, it did lose several frames though vs High Text w/Ray Tracing.

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 16, 2019, 00:44 Mordecai Walfish

Simon Says wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 12:06:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 11:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 11:20:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 11:15:
6b vram vs 8 vram is the question...
I'd get 8gb if you don't upgrade frequently. But it also depends on the games you like to play and your expectations.

Yeah it's the only thing I was wish washy on, watched some vids of 6 vs 8 side by side, it's marginal in fps even when a game uses over 6. I ordered a 2060, will do a before aft with a 1070 and then move one of them to system 2, which is using a 760.

The 2060's 6GBs chokes badly on BFV's ultra textures, going from high to ultra has a WORSE perf impact than enabling DXR ( and that was @ 1080p, LOL ).

With the next-gen consoles just around the corner that will have way more than 6GB of GPU usable RAM, the 2060's 6GB is a JOKE in 2019.

Only get a 2060 if you don't plan on keeping it more than a year or 2.

26. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 23:40 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 22:55:
noman wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 15:30:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 11:10:
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the new HDMI versions have that Free-Sync/G-Sync built into it?

HDMI 2.1 VRR (variable refresh rate) is based on VESA DisplayPort Adaptive Sync standard, which is what AMD was proposing from the beginning as Freesync.

GSync is a proprietary protocol, not supported by any industry standard. NVidia dragged their feet, until they had no choice but to support the display-port and HDMI standards regarding variable refresh rate.

So what's the bottom line then? will future HDMI interfaces have basically Freesync or is it more of a cluster fuck than that?

Forget FreeSync. That is AMD's label for AdaptiveSync and a term trademarked by AMD.

In terms of VRR (variable refresh rate) we have (in order of appearance):

- G-Sync = nVidia proprietary
- FreeSync = AMD proprietary but technically equivalent to the open AdaptiveSync standard
- AdaptiveSync = VESA open standard for VRR

HDMI 2.1 will bring VESA AdpativeSync VRR technology to every compatible device. There are currently no graphics cards on the market with HDMI 2.1 ports but the next generations by AMD and nVidia are expected to ship with HDMI 2.1 compatibility.

HDMI 2.1 is why nVidia has made the move to open up G-Sync now. The writing for both, FreeSync and G-Sync, is on the wall. The future of VRR is VESA AdaptiveSync via HDMI 2.1 and Displayport 1.2a.
AMD and nVidia might keep on using their FreeSync and G-Sync labels for "tested, certified and approved" displays though (i.e. purely for marketing reasons).

25. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 22:55 Tipsy McStagger

noman wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 15:30:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 11:10:
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the new HDMI versions have that Free-Sync/G-Sync built into it?

HDMI 2.1 VRR (variable refresh rate) is based on VESA DisplayPort Adaptive Sync standard, which is what AMD was proposing from the beginning as Freesync.

GSync is a proprietary protocol, not supported by any industry standard. NVidia dragged their feet, until they had no choice but to support the display-port and HDMI standards regarding variable refresh rate.

So what's the bottom line then? will future HDMI interfaces have basically Freesync or is it more of a cluster fuck than that?

24. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 22:45 Muscular Beaver

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 13:56:
TLDR/DW
Get 8 if you need future proofing, 6 if you don't.
It all depends on your upgrade cycle and the games you play.
BS. Even 2016 8 GB were used fully by some games in 1080p. Rise of the Tomb Raider for example.
They havent become less, they have become more. A German magazine tested it already and came to the conclusion that they dont recommend the 2060 because of frame time spikes that cause a lot of stuttering. Better buy a 1070Ti or even 1080.
Nvidia messed up completely with VRAM this generation. I was planning on buying a 2080, but NOT with just 8 GB. Thats pure insanity at those performance levels (and prices) and 1440p+.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

23. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 22:41 Muscular Beaver

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 11:15:
On the video card end, I can actually buy a 2060 for $350 aka no inflation at all today and looking at the benches from a below posting, this thing is in many cases <10 frames slower than a 2070 that go for $500. Comparing to last gen it's consistently beating the 1070 sometimes by 30 frames (same price) and a TI by 10 ($100+ more), it's killing the 1060.

6b vram vs 8 vram is the question...

Its not a question. It was already tested. In some games you will see massive frametime spikes. So you spend all that money for the newest Nvidia card and G-Sync on your monitor and then you still get stutters because Nvidia was too cheap to AT LEAST implement 8 GB again, but should have implemented 10 GB.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

22. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 22:38 Muscular Beaver

I will still buy G-Sync monitors instead, because they almost always have better input lag and MUCH better implemented Overdrive.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2019, 22:48.

21. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 22:08 Osc8r

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 17:39:
Osc8r wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 16:24:
AMD won this round.
Not really, freesync still sucks. Win for consumers, who will get more access to the superior Gsync.
The driver update allows GeForce graphics cards to tap into the Adaptive Sync capabilities of AMD FreeSync monitors. It has nothing to do with GSync which is nVidia's overpriced proprietary method. And since most can't tell the difference between AMD's free implementation and Nvidia'$ version, my original statement still stands.

Deleted your unwarranted rage and hypocrisy.

But here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldzmKIapTA

More people get access to adaptive sync and Gsync prices will come down.

So again, win for consumers, not your (precious) AMD.

Oh, and FYI i have Freesync and Gsync monitor at home, sitting about 1 meter apart. Gsync is superior even on higher end monitors, at least to my old timer eyes.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2019, 22:37.

20. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 20:23 RedEye9

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 17:36:
AMD won this round.
for being a hardware solution that costs like an extra $50
nice try
Nvidia’s G-Sync costs an average of $200 for the licensing and the module itself.
What does G-Sync add to a monitors cost
Nvidia Admits Defeat, Will Support AMD's FreeSync Displays

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

19. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 18:11 HorrorScope

Task wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 17:55:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 17:21:
Task wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 15:16:
In other words get 2x2060's.

The don't do SLI, only the 80's do.

Well that's dumb

A lot of people gave up on SLI, so now they feel it's only a top of line gamer that would bleed for it.

18. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 17:55 Task

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 17:21:

Well that's dumb

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

17. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 17:50 HorrorScope

Simon Says wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 13:37:

https://youtu.be/E2pMxJV4xr4?t=471

Digital Foundry > Some random guy on youtube, everytime.

Just watch Digital Foundry's video linked above, you'll see. 6GB is already a BIG problem introducing stuttering and with a major impact on performance. A taste of things to come very soon in other titles.

I don't think you are being fair with your comparison. Your example is one game and it has Textures at high, Ray Tracing on and HDR. By the way, wow does that look good with that lighting, sexy af.

BF5 using Ultra Textures at 1080 is 4114K vram per another article measuring, various Texture Settings and resolutions. Dropping down to High it goes way down to 2695K and it isn't that much of a change visually at least at 1080P, reminds me of FC5 I'm playing now, barely noticeable when you stare at the top two Texture resolutions.

To me they are all random guys measuring, mine measure many metrics as well as vram over several games with little impact overall. I'm not trying to argue too much, obviously 8 is better, but I really do wonder how much this will be a problem and again I've seen examples of vram usage greater than a card has and it doesn't arbitrarily mean big loss in frames and stuttering. Your link is good and watching it through where he had stutters after making tons of changes, he restarted the game and the stutters where then gone, he also summarized Ray Tracing does add to ram overhead.

THE BIGGEST TAKE AWAY FROM YOUR LINK IS THIS: I didn't buy the 2060 for Ray Tracing, but look at the video you sent us. I can get 50+ fps with a 2060 1080p with Ray Tracing Ultra and Textures High (or RT medium and get 70), I wouldn't have expected that. I'll be able to play/set Ray Trace on with the 2060 and I thought it would be more of a "let me look at it to see what the future looks like on my own monitor", but I can actually use this, especially if this was a SP game.

I think your video does more good for the 2060 than bad when all measured. You found one sitch where it was doing all three HDR, RT and Textures, that dropping Textures to High made a nice jump in FPS.

Let's take your guys word for it, here is his wrap up... I think he's glowing overall: https://youtu.be/E2pMxJV4xr4?t=976

Also some random comments from the same link:

maroom1 6GB is not even an issue even for 4K gaming.
Transistor Jump Uh, yes it is&#65279;
2Transistor Jump Uh, no is isn't. I have the 980Ti which is 6GB, and it's very rare that I hit VRAM limitations in 4K.&#65279;

To me this is all about actual experiences we will have.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2019, 19:22.

16. removed Jan 15, 2019, 17:39 RedEye9

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 16, 2019, 06:59.

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

15. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 17:36 ForgedReality

Osc8r wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 16:24:
AMD won this round.

Not really, freesync still sucks.

Win for consumers, who will get more access to the superior Gsync.
+1

Gsync is a far more capable product. Damn shame it had to catch so much flak for being a hardware solution that costs like an extra $50. Crybabies wanna cry.

14. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 17:21 HorrorScope

13. Re: New GeForce Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060 and Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 15, 2019, 16:24 Osc8r

AMD won this round.

Not really, freesync still sucks.

Win for consumers, who will get more access to the superior Gsync.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo