Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

VR Shoes Demoed

BBC News has a report from CES after taking a pair of virtual reality shoes called Cybershoes for a test walk. This looks like an interesting approach to the locomotion problem in VR games, allowing the user to simulate walking and running by skimming the shoes on the floor while remaining seated. They tout a connectivity with less latency than Bluetooth, and they seem to work well enough, and word is this supports games currently on Steam including Fallout, Skyrim, and DOOM. Besides the £400 price tag, one possible negative is that these don't seem like they would help in room-scale VR situations, as it doesn't appear like these will work when you are standing. Another is their warning that frantically moving about fighting monsters risks the user falling out of the chair. But the main issue that they focus on is that this can be tiring, as the subject managed to wear himself out pretty quickly ("I'm getting quite the workout from this though. Oh my legs are completely knackered"). The presenter does not appear to be a fitness fanatic, but that is probably a fair description of other members of this product's target audience. Perhaps the ability to use these to get into better shape will turn out to be a selling point.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: VR Shoes Demoed Jan 16, 2019, 10:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Looks like the version .015 of something that could eventually be great.

I'm still staying out of any sort of VR peripheral purchases though, simply not worth it currently.

Anything that can give people an option to get a little exercise(and not injure themselves or destroy their house) while playing video games has the potential to be really useful, I think the universal walk-pad type foot sensor is probably a more realistic path though.

Somebody had a working demo of that years ago, if I remember correctly; the user was strapped to a support brace, could 'walk' in any direction on a pad of rollers, way less chance of kicking a hole in your TV or whatever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: VR Shoes Demoed Jan 16, 2019, 09:25 Reactor

As one guy said on YouTube, itíll be great to look back in 10-15 years at how stupid all of these accessories made people look.  

4. Re: VR Shoes Demoed Jan 16, 2019, 00:01 Bumpy

Not a bad idea. Looks like it needs refining but it's headed in the right direction.

How do the wires not get constantly twisted rotating in the chair?

3. Re: VR Shoes Demoed Jan 15, 2019, 19:12 bigspender

This is going to be perfect for the Flintstones car racing VR game.....

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2019, 19:45.

2. Re: VR Shoes Demoed Jan 15, 2019, 18:47 jacobvandy

as it doesn't appear like these will work when you are standing.

Sure they will, if you've been practicing your moonwalk.

1. Re: VR Shoes Demoed Jan 15, 2019, 14:12 Creston

Walking, pffff. Make it so I barely lift a shoe and my VR avatar delivers a roundhouse kick to the face in the finest Bruce Lee style!

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo