Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

A SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME Official Teaser Trailer is now online, and it's bogglingly great. In the pre-MCU days, the first two Sam Raimi Spidey movies seemed like the best we could have hoped for, but wow, the Tom Holland Spider-Man is such a fantastic interpretation of the character there's no comparison. The Marvel movie series has continued to do a great job telling these stories all along, but I cannot believe how hyped I am for the next three: Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, and this one. The only bad news is anticipation, as it is tough waiting. If you went back in time and told my 12 year-old self about these movies, I'd have probably sought out cryogenic freezing so I could pull a Captain America and thaw out just in time to see them.

R.I.P.: Carol Channing, star of Broadway's 'Hello Dolly,' dead at 97.

Spider-Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Another World- SURVIVAL by Paul Nicholas. Thanks Boing Boing.
Links: The Last of Manhattan’s Original Video Arcades.
The Art of Decision-Making.
Stories: Ford debuts 700-horsepower 'street-legal' Mustang Shelby GT500.
'Best days of our lives': Baby with hearing loss reacts adorably to listening to sister speak with device.
Walmart bans woman after she rode around on mobility scooter drinking wine from Pringles can.
Science: Which affects health more – DNA code or ZIP code?
“Mona Lisa effect“ is real, but doesn’t apply to Leonardo’s painting.
Media: 7 Discoveries Scientists Made by Licking Things. Doesn't list the big "O."
The 'Large' And 'Small' Beers At Applebee's Are Basically The Same Size.
Puppy Loves New Water Slide.
Follow-up: Ice loss from Antarctica has sextupled since the 1970s, new research finds.
Measles warning in Los Angeles, New York outbreak surges.
China plans another moon mission this year, eyes Mars in 2020.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2019, 13:24 RedEye9

Nucas wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 02:17:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 21:51:
Lulz. William Barr's grandson understands politics better than Trump.

i would pay 500 dollars to anyone who can give me a video of donald trump talking about any aspect of governance where he sounds like he actually knows what he's talking about and understands the subject.

or really even just any subject at all. anything in the world he sounds like he has genuine expertise on.
The money will stay in your wallet. If you're gonna make a bet it at least has to be feasible.

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2019, 02:17 Nucas

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 21:51:

i would pay 500 dollars to anyone who can give me a video of donald trump talking about any aspect of governance where he sounds like he actually knows what he's talking about and understands the subject.

or really even just any subject at all. anything in the world he sounds like he has genuine expertise on.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 21:51 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 21:43 Mr. Tact

Right. The launch window is a practical problem, not a technical one. To save fuel you want to launch at a time when Mars is near Earth (relatively), launching when we are on the opposite side of the solar system might be possible, but it just makes everything harder for no good reason.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 21:15 RedEye9

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 20:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 18:58:
Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 18:37:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 15:10:
Hmm, what kind of odds are the London bookies giving on a successful Chinese landing on Mars in 2020? I'd probably be willing to bet against that...

Unmanned, I'm assuming, but even so their window is closing pretty sharply. I would say they're not going to make it by EoY 2020.
This was kind of my point. I wasn't attempting to criticize their ability. I believe current tech can get there in just under a year. So, unless they already have the package ready to go, they'll will definitely be up against a hard deadline in the not too distant future.

And it's not just flight time, it's launch windows. IIRC, there's only like a ~ month period every year to launch to Mars and likely not even every year. I tried googling it but it doesn't seem like readily available information.
I think you're just supposed to calculate your own Wink https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/teach/activity/lets-go-to-mars-calculating-launch-windows/
Be warned, my Kaspersky screamed about expired certs. How much longer will this shutdown last.
Connection not protected The security of your connection is reduced. Criminals can attempt to steal your data from the website. You are advised to leave this website. URL: www.jpl.nasa.gov Reason: Authorization for this certificate or one of certificates in the certificate chain was canceled
A less "connection not protected" link from Forbes

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 20:57 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 18:58:
Hmm, what kind of odds are the London bookies giving on a successful Chinese landing on Mars in 2020? I'd probably be willing to bet against that...

Unmanned, I'm assuming, but even so their window is closing pretty sharply. I would say they're not going to make it by EoY 2020.
This was kind of my point. I wasn't attempting to criticize their ability. I believe current tech can get there in just under a year. So, unless they already have the package ready to go, they'll will definitely be up against a hard deadline in the not too distant future.

And it's not just flight time, it's launch windows. IIRC, there's only like a ~ month period every year to launch to Mars and likely not even every year. I tried googling it but it doesn't seem like readily available information.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 20:21 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 18:35:
Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 13:41:
Also, just don't step foot in an Applebee's, unless it's at the Richmond, VA airport, where there's nothing to eat and you'll wish you were dead if you're there over 30 minutes prior to boarding.

Haha. Been stuck there, Beamer?

Applebee's didn't use to be so bad. My wife and I ate there every now and then if we just wanted some okay fast restaurant food for little money. You could get a pretty good, large cheeseburger for like 6.99 or 7.99 or something, with a generous helping of decent fries.

Back then we also really couldn't afford anything better. Once we started making some more money, we've never been back, except one time when a group we were with all wanted to go there (dunno why), and it was very average. There wasn't anything wrong with it, perse, but it just didn't have anything to recommend it over a thousand other options.

I have memories of loving it as a kid. We only saw it on vacation, and I liked the bourbon street steak. Then I went like 12 years without going to one, went, tried it again. Tasted like shoe leather. So tough and gross.

The only chain I happily go to is Waffle House. It's exactly what you expect, and it's cheap food for cheap, as opposed to like 5 hamburgers and a pound of shrimp for $10.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. 700 HP Mustang Jan 15, 2019, 19:40 WarPig

A 700 hp Mustang huh? I can't think of a stupider way to waste your money. Completely useless and wasteful to drive. Just a big ego trip for whoever is dumb enough to buy one.

(I want mine to be black with silver stripes)

GO SEAHAWKS!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 18:58 Mr. Tact

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 18:37 Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 18:35 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 13:41:
Also, just don't step foot in an Applebee's, unless it's at the Richmond, VA airport, where there's nothing to eat and you'll wish you were dead if you're there over 30 minutes prior to boarding.

Haha. Been stuck there, Beamer?

Applebee's didn't use to be so bad. My wife and I ate there every now and then if we just wanted some okay fast restaurant food for little money. You could get a pretty good, large cheeseburger for like 6.99 or 7.99 or something, with a generous helping of decent fries.

Back then we also really couldn't afford anything better. Once we started making some more money, we've never been back, except one time when a group we were with all wanted to go there (dunno why), and it was very average. There wasn't anything wrong with it, perse, but it just didn't have anything to recommend it over a thousand other options.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 18:34 Pigeon

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 15:53:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 15:06:
I don't recall having ever eaten at an Applebee's. Resolving this "controversy" does not seem like enough of a reason to initiate a first visit.

Avoid, unless you like microwaved steak, haha (only a minor exaggeration.)

Very minor exaggeration. The first and only time I ate there I got a chicken fried steak and my first thought was that they had gotten a Marie Callender's frozen dinner and cooked it in an oven instead of a microwave. If you gave me a choice of a free meal at McDonalds vs Applebees it'd be McDonald's every time.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 18:30 Creston

But... Spiderman is dead. Thanos killed him...  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 17:01 RedEye9

It's not China's first attempt at Mars. Besides, all they're looking to do first is put a probe into orbit around the planet.
As for their hopes to send a person to the red planet, President Bush said the same thing in 2004 http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/14/bush.space/
Don't discount anything the Chinese do.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 16:23 Cutter

Canada needs to ship that bitch off to the US and be done with her already. This is getting completely out of hand. See what you get for helping The Donald and pals out, Donnie? This is what happens, Donnie. China tries to fuck you in the ass, Donnie.

“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” - Will Rogers

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 16:10 Mr. Tact

I'll take your word for it.

However, I would like to say all those chain places aren't terrible. We used to have a Cheddar's here that was pretty damn good. They seemed to have good management. They actually ran what were essentially specials specific to their location. The manager kept an eye on the local prime rib prices and when they dipped sufficient they would have it. Not on the menu, just on the special list on the chalk board. Unfortunately, someone bought the location to build a different restaurant. The owner of the Cheddars's said he was offered a price he couldn't refuse. I was not happy.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 15:53 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 15:06:
I don't recall having ever eaten at an Applebee's. Resolving this "controversy" does not seem like enough of a reason to initiate a first visit.

Avoid, unless you like microwaved steak, haha (only a minor exaggeration.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 15:10 Mr. Tact

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 15:06 Mr. Tact

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2019, 14:41 RedEye9

#6 Scheele, I would have been upset if he had not made the list.
Swedish chemist Karl Scheele's, (the original discoverer of chlorine, fluorine, manganese, barium, molybdenum, tungsten, nitrogen, and oxygen), one notable shortcoming was a curious insistence on tasting a little of everything he worked with including such notoriously disagreeable substances as mercury, prussic acid (another of his discoveries), and hydrocyanic acid — a compound so famously poisonous that 150 years later Erwin Schrodinger chose it as his toxin of choice in a famous thought experiment. Scheele’s rashness eventually caught up with him. In 1786, aged just forty-three, he was found dead at his workbench surrounded by an array of toxic chemicals, any one of which could have accounted for the stunned and terminal look on his face.

snipped from Bill Brysons A Short History of ...

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo