Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 14, 2019, 14:05 Bodolza

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 23:35:
I'm still rocking a HTC one from 4 years ago, mainly because I simply will not buy a phone without a headphone jack, SD card support and ideally a easily-replaceable battery.

Samsung Galaxy S9 has a headphone jack and SD card support. Also no notch and reasonably sized. No removable battery, but good luck finding a phone with that. I recently upgraded to a S9+ because most web sites are so full of slow javascript these days that the old phone was barely coping when loading pages. Always having a decent camera on me is also nice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 14, 2019, 09:36 Luke

Way to many zombies to kill the "smart"phone  

16. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 23:56 HorrorScope

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 20:53:
Oh, cool -- nice service. Will that act as a bypass to # of articles a month blockages?

A lot of other sites like WaPo, if you use Ublock Origins, you can go to the site, click the red ublock icon and the bottom right icon there is "Disable Java Script for Site" and then refresh and it breaks through that one, that trick gets most sites, WSJ is one of the exceptions though. If you don't use ublock, you can get a Java Disable addon and use those, it's a toggle on/off per site and it will remember.

15. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 23:35 Mordecai Walfish

I'm still rocking a HTC one from 4 years ago, mainly because I simply will not buy a phone without a headphone jack, SD card support and ideally a easily-replaceable battery. I don't need military grade waterproofing, nor do I give a fuck that it's razor thin enough to chop my fingers off if I grasp at it too tightly.

Give the people what they want, and they will buy your product. Continually remove useful features and functionality for the sake of following 'Apple trends', and you can go the way of the fucking dodo for all I care.

14. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 21:27 RedEye9

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 20:29:
To get through WSJ, just add "outline.com/" before the whole URL and remove the 's' in HTTPs. Here is what it creates: https://outline.com/pM5DFd
Cool, that rawks.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

13. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 20:53 Mr. Tact

Oh, cool -- nice service. Will that act as a bypass to # of articles a month blockages?  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 20:29 HorrorScope

To get through WSJ, just add "outline.com/" before the whole URL and remove the 's' in HTTPs. Here is what it creates:

https://outline.com/pM5DFd

11. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 18:54 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 18:13:
It'll be replaced by the smart eyeball, or iBall.
Yeah, some kind of virtual vision which you see that no one else does. The tech in this area found in the Commonwealth Saga is probably where it will go. With a personal "e-butler" which can filter emails and voice calls however you desire.

10. Sunday Luddite Jan 13, 2019, 18:13 Dacote

Beamer wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 17:55:
I'm always amused when a place full of people with $2k+ computers that do barely more than a cheaper computer, that upgrade components regularly, act like a 2013 phone is perfectly fine for everyone and only an idiot finds reason to upgrade.
Some people use their phones like those here use their GPUs. There's luxury to it at that point, for both. And it's fine, for both.
Sometimes, on some topics, this place goes full Luddite.
Stares at Net10 dumb flip phone (purchase price $20) that costs less than $18 dollars a month to operate. oh well, to each his own

9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 18:13 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 14:10:
Here is a link to the actual WSJ article about the smartphone era ending, instead of a Linked-In page of comments about it. It is a bunch of nonsense. Decreasing sales simply indicate more people are waiting longer to replace their phones. Smartphones are going to be around for a while longer...

It'll be replaced by the smart eyeball, or iBall.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 17:55 Beamer

I'm always amused when a place full of people with $2k+ computers that do barely more than a cheaper computer, that upgrade components regularly, act like a 2013 phone is perfectly fine for everyone and only an idiot finds reason to upgrade.

Some people use their phones like those here use their GPUs. There's luxury to it at that point, for both. And it's fine, for both.

Sometimes, on some topics, this place goes full Luddite.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 17:47 xXStellarDadXx

WaltC wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 17:25:
People may finally be coming to fully understand that while there is a lot of stuff you can do with a desktop computer that you cannot do at all with a pocket cell phone, it's also much, much less expensive to go online with that desktop than it is to do it--or maybe "try to do it" is more accurate--via a wireless cell-phone Internet connection. I mean, the wireless carriers have had a field day, imo, gouging people for years for Internet service nowhere as fast, reliable, and secure as a decent wired desktop connection at home--and the cell-phone users pay through the nose for all of that inferior service and connectivity. (So what qualifies these products as "smartphones"?--should be "dumbphones" for some people..;))

How about data caps--I've seen them as meager as 5GBs a month for some phone plans--can't remember my last data cap for my wired service at home. How about Internet fees assessed every month whether you use the Internet or you don't--on top of the already ridiculous monthly charges and fees the "smartphone" demands. Right now at home I have the fastest, best, and most secure Internet service I've ever had--and I cannot believe how inexpensive it is--and not just compared to a smartphone--but also compared with my old 14.4k modem days..;)

If this is indeed a trend then I welcome it, wholeheartedly. Cell phones--portable phones--aren't going to go away, of course...that will never happen, and I would not want to see that happen! But what seems to be happening is that people are coming to grips with the fact that the highest and best use of so-called smartphones is as a...(drumroll)...cell phone!...;) Best use of a smartphone is really as a dumbphone--you need the phone, not the Internet access...;)

That is actually the way I handle it these days (for the last few years, actually) and the money I'm saving is significant along with a frustration curve that barely registers. I feel like a bird out of a cage. I simply get what I need from the Internet before I leave home but take the dumbphone with me for emergencies and things like--you know--phone calls, etc...;)

Really, I have nothing against Apple except for the fact that I see the company as a fad manufacturer and the company does basically the same thing whenever it has a product hit on its hands--big hits are rare from Apple--but it does happen, as it did with the iPhone. First come all the Apple lawsuits against competitors to try and stop the entire global market from competing with whatever thingamajig Apple is trying sell in an artificially created monopoly market atmosphere which Apple alone controls...;) Of course, this tactic--positively guaranteed from Apple--simply doesn't work. Apple's competitors do know how to manufacture competitive products even if Apple doesn't--so they keep plugging away until the comparative Apple products are obviously inferior and obviously not as good a buy as the other-than-Apple products in the product class. And then it's rinse and repeat for Apple as it tries to find a new fad that will sell hugely as a major hit--and then the lawsuits and the falling behind will begin again.

They tried it with the Apple watch...;) Wow, imagine shelling out $10k for an Apple watch filled to the brim with $30.00 Casio circuitry! I had to laugh out loud at the A watch. The people who did that--and there were a few of them to be sure--are the perfect "dumbphone" candidates, imo. SO the watch is done--what's next? Who knows? All I know is that if it's from Apple I'm not going to be much interested in it!

(Wow what a post but it's a lazy Sunday and I had some free time this p.m...;))

OMG...he wrote a fucking book...

I love Fortnite..keeps thy little kids out of thy good games...

6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 17:25 WaltC

People may finally be coming to fully understand that while there is a lot of stuff you can do with a desktop computer that you cannot do at all with a pocket cell phone, it's also much, much less expensive to go online with that desktop than it is to do it--or maybe "try to do it" is more accurate--via a wireless cell-phone Internet connection. I mean, the wireless carriers have had a field day, imo, gouging people for years for Internet service nowhere as fast, reliable, and secure as a decent wired desktop connection at home--and the cell-phone users pay through the nose for all of that inferior service and connectivity. (So what qualifies these products as "smartphones"?--should be "dumbphones" for some people..;))

How about data caps--I've seen them as meager as 5GBs a month for some phone plans--can't remember my last data cap for my wired service at home. How about Internet fees assessed every month whether you use the Internet or you don't--on top of the already ridiculous monthly charges and fees the "smartphone" demands. Right now at home I have the fastest, best, and most secure Internet service I've ever had--and I cannot believe how inexpensive it is--and not just compared to a smartphone--but also compared with my old 14.4k modem days..;)

If this is indeed a trend then I welcome it, wholeheartedly. Cell phones--portable phones--aren't going to go away, of course...that will never happen, and I would not want to see that happen! But what seems to be happening is that people are coming to grips with the fact that the highest and best use of so-called smartphones is as a...(drumroll)...cell phone!...;) Best use of a smartphone is really as a dumbphone--you need the phone, not the Internet access...;)

That is actually the way I handle it these days (for the last few years, actually) and the money I'm saving is significant along with a frustration curve that barely registers. I feel like a bird out of a cage. I simply get what I need from the Internet before I leave home but take the dumbphone with me for emergencies and things like--you know--phone calls, etc...;)

Really, I have nothing against Apple except for the fact that I see the company as a fad manufacturer and the company does basically the same thing whenever it has a product hit on its hands--big hits are rare from Apple--but it does happen, as it did with the iPhone. First come all the Apple lawsuits against competitors to try and stop the entire global market from competing with whatever thingamajig Apple is trying sell in an artificially created monopoly market atmosphere which Apple alone controls...;) Of course, this tactic--positively guaranteed from Apple--simply doesn't work. Apple's competitors do know how to manufacture competitive products even if Apple doesn't--so they keep plugging away until the comparative Apple products are obviously inferior and obviously not as good a buy as the other-than-Apple products in the product class. And then it's rinse and repeat for Apple as it tries to find a new fad that will sell hugely as a major hit--and then the lawsuits and the falling behind will begin again.

They tried it with the Apple watch...;) Wow, imagine shelling out $10k for an Apple watch filled to the brim with $30.00 Casio circuitry! I had to laugh out loud at the A watch. The people who did that--and there were a few of them to be sure--are the perfect "dumbphone" candidates, imo. SO the watch is done--what's next? Who knows? All I know is that if it's from Apple I'm not going to be much interested in it!

(Wow what a post but it's a lazy Sunday and I had some free time this p.m...;))

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 17:20 Mr. Tact

It does? Weird. I don't have an account with WSJ. Stupid Internet!  

4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 16:20  Blue 

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 14:10:
Here is a link to the actual WSJ article about the smartphone era ending, instead of a Linked-In page of comments about it.

That link requires an account. In case you were thinking I didn't do it the way I did intentionally.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 16:01 Ant

I still use an iPhone 4S that I rarely use.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 14:48 Armengar

there isn't always a need for a newer phone. Still rocking a galaxy note 3 here. Its rooted and have been software upgraded a few times but still does everything I want, it has a decent screen, runs fast enough, goes on the net, does satnav, has an SD card and replaceable battery (has a headphone socket) and the pen is super handy.

No need for me to replace it at all.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 13, 2019, 14:10 Mr. Tact

Here is a link to the actual WSJ article about the smartphone era ending, instead of a Linked-In page of comments about it. It is a bunch of nonsense. Decreasing sales simply indicate more people are waiting longer to replace their phones. Smartphones are going to be around for a while longer...  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >