Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Op Ed

Fox News - 'Fortnite' and the collapse of parenting. "There is nothing more irresponsible than a boy on a videogame binge." Except perhaps an author trying to sell books.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Op Ed Jan 16, 2019, 18:07 Sepharo

D-Rock wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 14:13:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 19:10:
I played computer games every available minute of my life when I was kid. And in high school CS specifically. Didn't cause me no problems.

Ummm...it made you not learn teh grammers real good. I bet you played gaemz in the grammers class too!

There's a difference between a choice in words and a mistake.

But I can type really fast while holding the shift key since capslock didn't use to work in game chat.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Op Ed Jan 16, 2019, 14:13 D-Rock

I played computer games every available minute of my life when I was kid. And in high school CS specifically. Didn't cause me no problems.

Ummm...it made you not learn teh grammers real good. I bet you played gaemz in the grammers class too!

28. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 13:41 Kxmode

These are the same parents who buy GTA for their kids because they're clueless. It's ultimately their responsibility to know what their child is into and if they don't know what Fortnite is then they should go online and research it. The Internet makes this easy so there's no excuse.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

27. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 13:04 Mr. Tact

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 12:57:
I dunno man, I see a lot of memes about how people find a new show on Netflix and sit there like a lump going through all 8 seasons or whatever, then suddenly it's two days later. That's what the non-gamer types are doing these days, though they're also on their phones the entire time, I'm sure.
Or even watching it on their phones.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 13:03 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 12:44:
You played Alliance, didn't you.
Started Alliance, the whole guild went Horde (and changed servers) for Cataclysm.

25. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 12:57 jacobvandy

I dunno man, I see a lot of memes about how people find a new show on Netflix and sit there like a lump going through all 8 seasons or whatever, then suddenly it's two days later. That's what the non-gamer types are doing these days, though they're also on their phones the entire time, I'm sure.  

24. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 12:44 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 12:00:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 11:28:
Right... I'm pretty sure I've spent more of my life gaming than anyone else I know, and my record for a consecutive session is mayyybe 15 hours.
Wimp!

I think my best approaches 20 hours, but it is not like I was ever keeping track. More impressive/crazy/stupid/whatever was when I was playing WoW 50-60 hours a week while working a full time job. Did that for over a year.

You played Alliance, didn't you.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

23. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 12:43 jdreyer

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 03:15:
jamiedj99 wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 23:52:
I wonder where WHO was when too many people watch TV and they now need to make it an addiction.

No one has stayed up 50 hours straight watching TV. However, most on this site have done that playing video games before. Some have played games until death. It's a bit different due to the interactivity.

Right... I'm pretty sure I've spent more of my life gaming than anyone else I know, and my record for a consecutive session is mayyybe 15 hours. But that includes several breaks for eating, using the bathroom, and just plain stretching the legs. And when that happens overnight, where I try staying up as long as I can for the hell of it, I don't think I've ever been more than 30 or so hours without sleeping.

Granted, I'm not insane, nor have I attempted such feats with the aid of performance enhancers like amphetamines or cocaine. Which I assume are among the requirements for the 50-hour achievement.

50 hour or 30 hours, the point is that it's much more difficult to do that watching TV. We've all had that experience where you are gaming in the evening, and the next thing you know, it's getting light outside. I hear that story from gamers all the time, I don't hear that from TV binge watchers. As for myself, I haven't done that in 20 years. But we're talking about kids, who may not have the willpower to stop. Thus parents need to step in and set boundaries.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

22. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 12:00 Mr. Tact

Right... I'm pretty sure I've spent more of my life gaming than anyone else I know, and my record for a consecutive session is mayyybe 15 hours.
Wimp!

I think my best approaches 20 hours, but it is not like I was ever keeping track. More impressive/crazy/stupid/whatever was when I was playing WoW 50-60 hours a week while working a full time job. Did that for over a year.

21. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 11:28 jacobvandy

I wonder where WHO was when too many people watch TV and they now need to make it an addiction.

No one has stayed up 50 hours straight watching TV. However, most on this site have done that playing video games before. Some have played games until death. It's a bit different due to the interactivity.

Right... I'm pretty sure I've spent more of my life gaming than anyone else I know, and my record for a consecutive session is mayyybe 15 hours. But that includes several breaks for eating, using the bathroom, and just plain stretching the legs. And when that happens overnight, where I try staying up as long as I can for the hell of it, I don't think I've ever been more than 30 or so hours without sleeping.

Granted, I'm not insane, nor have I attempted such feats with the aid of performance enhancers like amphetamines or cocaine. Which I assume are among the requirements for the 50-hour achievement.

20. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 08:17 edaciousx

I've done entire weekends on video games. In fact, entire summers. I regret it 100%. What a waste. I think moderation is good, maybe 20 hours a week Max but not 40 or 60+ hours a week which is what I was doing as a kid on summer break.  

19. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 05:33 Slick

Did you just say that "most" on this site have stayed up 50 hours straight playing videogames!? You gotta relax on that g-fuel bro, you'll blow a gasket.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

18. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 05:32 Slick

I'd go as far to say that reality has fucked me up a lot more than videogames could ever hope to, and now I run my own business. This is my safe space, where I can mute, change servers, and alt-f4 at a whim.

That being said...

My wife had a classmate who had to withdraw from the PhD program because Starcraft 2 came out ^_^ And before anyone asks, yes he was Korean. Def my fav videogame fail story.

He lacked the discipline.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

17. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 03:15 jdreyer

16. Re: Op Ed Jan 12, 2019, 23:52 jamiedj99

15. Re: Op Ed Jan 12, 2019, 20:44 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 20:40:
Video gaming is no different from any other recreational activity, spending 60 hours a week doing it is only a problem if it negatively impacts other parts of your life. ie.. work/school suffers, you stop showering and eating, etc.

Probably the biggest oxymoron of the 21st century to date, "Fox News".
Sneaky
I can see skipping a shower every now and then but there is no way I'm forgetting to eat. Popcorn

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

14. Re: Op Ed Jan 12, 2019, 20:40 Mr. Tact

Video gaming is no different from any other recreational activity, spending 60 hours a week doing it is only a problem if it negatively impacts other parts of your life. ie.. work/school suffers, you stop showering and eating, etc.

Probably the biggest oxymoron of the 21st century to date, "Fox News".

13. Re: Op Ed Jan 12, 2019, 19:35 DG

There isn't much wrong with that article. Key word is "binge" - though I guess people define that in different ways. I don't think they over-sell the issues and “gaming takes precedence over other interests and daily activities" is a good quote, though it could do with some expansion on the theme of everything in moderation and perhaps touching on the possibility of there being underlying issues for which gaming is an escape.

The article also correctly concludes it's a child behaviour and parenting issue about setting limits, rather than trotting out something about games being bad or the even game publishers out to steal your kid's brains or whatever.

12. Re: Op Ed Jan 12, 2019, 19:10 Sepharo

11. Re: Op Ed Jan 12, 2019, 18:28 Cutter

One of the problems is also how many of these games are designed. I don't know if Epic has with Fortnite/Borderlands - wouldn't be surprised if they have however - but companies like Blizzard and Bungie have employed behavioral psychologists for years in order to make their games addictive. Personally I've never understood the draw of those sorts of games so I don't understand how anyone can be addicted to them but there are plenty of people for which do find it addictive. Las Vegas wouldn't exist with addiction.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo