Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

This is the last great weekend of this season's tackle football action. There are four games on tap, which is more than will be left in the season after they conclude, as only three games remain once the field is narrowed to four teams. I don't think I have much chance of winning our playoff pool, but the games have been quite entertaining. I think I'd rather it be this way than the other way around, so it's all good.

R.I.P.: Steve Buscemi's Wife Dead at 65 and Funeral Held at Family Home.

Entertaining Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Woman Who Trained Wizard Dog: 'Harry Potter Is My Everything.' Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: Monster snowstorm to blanket more than half of United States.
Tom Sizemore Arrested for Drug Possession. Sad.
SpaceX cutting 10 percent of its staff to become a leaner company.
Science: Is Sunscreen the New Margarine? Thanks Digg.
Do Floppy-Eared Dogs Look Friendlier? The T.S.A. Thinks So. Thanks j.c.f. and Neutronbeam.
Woman unable to hear men's voices due to rare condition, report says. I'm having MrsBlue checked.
Media: Life would suck as a video game.
World’s Most Expensive Watches Are Made Here. Thanks Digg.
Pug puppy meets otters. Now I want a puppy. And otters.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 11:56 Mr. Tact

Alright, I looked at the fee structure link you posted. You really feel them taking 5% off the top is excessive? So, you are looking to bomb Valve's offices I take it? (just kidding - and yes, I realize Steam has a much greater overhead) Could they "just swipe" my credit card for a lower fee? Sure. But based on what I know about the compensation given to creators for ads it makes even a $1 contribution look impressive.

Anyway, to repeat -- Yes, I would like Blue to setup an account so I could give him some money in support of this site I use nearly every day. However, if there is a better/preferable tool to accomplish the same thing, I'm likely to be fine with it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 11:33 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 11:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 10:11:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 03:23:

How about that Patreon, Blue? Or a merch store? Then folks don't have to feel guilty about blocking ads if they became intolerable.
I am one of the rare humans gifted with the ability to control which way my eyes look. A pure genetic anomaly.
May your genes spread far and wide.
I've tried, but it shattered.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 11:14 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 11:01:
But I hate Patreon's exorbitant processing fees.
Really? Interesting. The YouTubers I've heard talk about Patreon all talk about how if you donate $1 a month they will receive more money than if you watch 1,000 ads a month.

I also support the idea of a Patreon account for Blue's News, but if there is a better application/system/whatever, I probably won't object.
I'm referring to the cut patreon takes for doing nothing more than swiping your card, plus that does not consider the credit card fee. I understand there is some reasonable fee they need to operate but they ain't the saints they claim to be, that being said I would still contribute.
People think they are giving $1 a month but in all actuality it's much less.
Patreon is not above doing greedy things
I'd much rather send blue $100 bill in snail mail every so often to help offset the cost of the occasional New York City restaurant review. Wink

edit
https://blog.patreon.com/updating-patreons-fee-structure
Shows old, proposed fail etc

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2019, 11:47.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 11:10 jdreyer

How about that Patreon, Blue? Or a merch store? Then folks don't have to feel guilty about blocking ads if they became intolerable.
I am one of the rare humans gifted with the ability to control which way my eyes look. A pure genetic anomaly.
May your genes spread far and wide.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 11:01 Mr. Tact

But I hate Patreon's exorbitant processing fees.
Really? Interesting. The YouTubers I've heard talk about Patreon all talk about how if you donate $1 a month they will receive more money than if you watch 1,000 ads a month.

I also support the idea of a Patreon account for Blue's News, but if there is a better application/system/whatever, I probably won't object.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 10:11 RedEye9

I also agree with thinking that a Patreon might be a good idea. But I hate Patreon's exorbitant processing fees.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 06:41 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 13:30:
Life would suck as a video game.

I dunno, being able to save scum could be pretty handy.

And cheat codes!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 03:23 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 00:01:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 18:55:
https://imgur.com/a/HjWIjDa

Seriously considering reblocking Bluesnews ads... I don't mind ads, but political propaganda... yeah... no.

Most ads on most sites these days are programmatic... in some cases related to content on the page you are visiting. They can also be based on other ads you click on. But in this case, it sounds like someone targeting a specific location.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 00:01  Blue 

Seriously considering reblocking Bluesnews ads... I don't mind ads, but political propaganda... yeah... no.

Most ads on most sites these days are programmatic... in some cases related to content on the page you are visiting. They can also be based on other ads you click on. But in this case, it sounds like someone targeting a specific location.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2019, 22:12 Cutter

Yeah, bad enough we have to pay for the goddamned thing but now the added waste of the Liberal propaganda is really infuriating.

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2019, 18:55 Simon Says

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2019, 17:22 Mr. Tact

One of my sisters has lost some of low frequency hearing which makes it difficult for her to understand many men. She isn't particularly concerned with that aspect of the issue...  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2019, 15:18 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 13:30:

Or it's that Tom Cruise film where you're trapped in a roguelike, dying hundreds of times until you figure out exactly how to win.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2019, 15:02 Creston

I'm having MrsBlue checked.

Oooooh shit! He went there!

Someone is sleeping on the couch TONIGHT!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2019, 13:33 jdreyer

Tom Sizemore Arrested for Drug Possession.

I blame PTSD. I mean, the guy stormed the beaches at Normandy fer Chrissakes.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2019, 13:30 jdreyer

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2019, 13:30 Cutter

Damn, I didn't realize Buscemi was 61 himself. I figured he was in is 50s but he has been around a long time.

Wizard dog woman needs a life.

Weird. There's zero snow here now and doesn't look like any over the 14 day either. Yet Europe has been dumped on in a big way so far and now it looks like the US is getting it.

Well you know, for Sizemore the action is the juice.

I know a lot of women who'd say she's one lucky gal.

How on earth would life suck as a video game?

Otters rule. If reincarnation is a thing I'd love to come back as a river otter.

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2019, 12:57 RedEye9

missing a front license plate with expired tags

Meth and Heroin make the above seem like a mere inconvenience. Just ask any Meth and Heroin addict.
Oh, and he beats on women. MeThinks Tom needs help along with a prison cooling off period.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo