Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Tech Bits

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 13, 2019, 12:45 RedEye9

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 20:16:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 00:56:
MPC-HC is still being developed. It's a bit all over the place since it is a fork of the Media Player Classic project and MPC-HC itself has also forked several times (actually in similar fashion to VLC which has also been further developed by various groups).
The most recent MPC builds (December 2018) can be found on this site.
that's good to know
Welp.
I installed madvr (right click run as administrator), latest nvidia drivers and mpc-hc from the original sight. When I try to choose MadVR in the Output it shows **unavailable**.
google searching not helpful, argh
Gonna try the newer build next.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 12, 2019, 20:16 RedEye9

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 00:56:
MPC-HC is still being developed. It's a bit all over the place since it is a fork of the Media Player Classic project and MPC-HC itself has also forked several times (actually in similar fashion to VLC which has also been further developed by various groups).
that's good to know

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 12, 2019, 08:19 Mr. Tact

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 18:05:
Oh, and yeah, VLC fucking rocks. Been using it forever. Since 2001 and the first public release, I believe.
Yeah, I don't know if I've used it since 2001, but I've certainly had it for more than a decade...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 12, 2019, 00:56 CJ_Parker

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 12, 2019, 00:28 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 22:28:
Thanks for the info.
MPC-HC is no longer being maintained, it still works fine though. I also think you have to use the x86 version for compatibility with madvr.
https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13-released-and-farewell/

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2019, 22:28 jdreyer

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 20:08:
I've used VLC for a loooong time but then one day I saw someone mention MPC-HC and the MadVR plugin for video quality connoisseurs.

I was skeptical at first but the short version is: If you value video quality then this is absolutely the way to go. It is just as compatible with video files as is VLC. It plays nearly everything but it simply looks considerably better.

It is kind of funny actually. Every once in a blue moon I come across a file that either VLC or MPC-HC can not play correctly but then it works in the other app or vice versa so they complement each other really well as far as compatibility is concerned.

So, I still have both players installed but MPC-HC + MadVR has been the default player for many years now. It beats VLC in terms of quality, no contest.
Thanks for the info.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2019, 20:08 CJ_Parker

I've used VLC for a loooong time but then one day I saw someone mention MPC-HC and the MadVR plugin for video quality connoisseurs.

I was skeptical at first but the short version is: If you value video quality then this is absolutely the way to go. It is just as compatible with video files as is VLC. It plays nearly everything but it simply looks considerably better.

It is kind of funny actually. Every once in a blue moon I come across a file that either VLC or MPC-HC can not play correctly but then it works in the other app or vice versa so they complement each other really well as far as compatibility is concerned.

So, I still have both players installed but MPC-HC + MadVR has been the default player for many years now. It beats VLC in terms of quality, no contest.

7. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 11, 2019, 19:10 Stormsinger

jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 15:33:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 11:36:
Listening to a CEO explain how they would have to charge more for their stuff if they could not SELL YOU was painful. I'd rather watch a presidential address.

Well, it's hard to blame him for taking free money. However, it's a pain to block all of those IPs on my router.
I don't have the slightest problem blaming him for his company's unethical behavior.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2019, 18:05 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 15:33:
Well, it's hard to blame him for taking free money. However, it's a pain to block all of those IPs on my router.

Here are a couple of steps:

1. Simply don't connect the "smart" TV to any network you control.
2. If you absolutely must connect it for firmware updates or as part of the initial setup, put it in an exclusion zone on your router that has intranet access only after the firmware update or setup.
3. If you have a cheap router that does not offer this feature, many TVs allow you to statically configure the network stack. Set the IP and DNS entries to 127.0.0.1

Oh, and yeah, VLC fucking rocks. Been using it forever. Since 2001 and the first public release, I believe.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2019, 16:29 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 15:42:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 11:50:
VLC is probably one of the best apps ever made. Remember all those old ways of trying to view video files? it really changed the game to make it simple all around.

It's truly awesome. Video codecs are thing of the past.
I put vlc on everything I own from toothbrushes to my kindle fire. it rocks

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2019, 15:42 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 11:50:
VLC is probably one of the best apps ever made. Remember all those old ways of trying to view video files? it really changed the game to make it simple all around.

It's truly awesome. Video codecs are thing of the past.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2019, 15:33 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 11:36:
Listening to a CEO explain how they would have to charge more for their stuff if they could not SELL YOU was painful. I'd rather watch a presidential address.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2019, 11:50 Tipsy McStagger

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2019, 11:36 RedEye9

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo