Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bungie Emancipated (Again)

A new post on Bungie.net announces Bungie's "destiny" no longer lies in the hands of Activision, as they've negotiated an end to their partnership with the publisher that allows them to take publishing control of the Destiny franchise. This is not the first such emancipation for the developer, as back in 2007 they managed to break free from former owner Microsoft, though in that case Microsoft retained control of the Halo series. Here's word on what the future holds for Bungie and Destiny:

When we first launched our partnership with Activision in 2010, the gaming industry was in a pretty different place. As an independent studio setting out to build a brand new experience, we wanted a partner willing to take a big leap of faith with us. We had a vision for Destiny that we believed in, but to launch a game of that magnitude, we needed the support of an established publishing partner.

With Activision, we created something special. To date, Destiny has delivered a combination of over 50 million games and expansions to players all around the world. More importantly, we’ve also witnessed a remarkable community – tens of millions of Guardians strong – rise up and embrace Destiny, to play together, to make and share memories, and even to do truly great things that reach far beyond the game we share, to deliver a positive impact on people’s everyday lives.

We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and would like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny. Looking ahead, we’re excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects.

The planned transition process is already underway in its early stages, with Bungie and Activision both committed to making sure the handoff is as seamless as possible.

With Forsaken, we’ve learned, and listened, and leaned in to what we believe our players want from a great Destiny experience. Rest assured there is more of that on the way. We’ll continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we’re looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.

Thank you so much for your continued support. Our success is owed in no small part to the incredible community of players who have graced our worlds with light and life. We know self-publishing won’t be easy; there’s still much for us to learn as we grow as an independent, global studio, but we see unbounded opportunities and potential in Destiny. We know that new adventures await us all on new worlds filled with mystery, adventure, and hope. We hope you’ll join us there.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 13:24 Tumbler

Jivaro wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 22:23:
Tomorrow's Headline:

Ubisoft buys Bungie, first game of new partnership to be titled Destiny's Creed.

Handshake

That would be awesome! I doubt you meant this in a positive light but the most recent assasin's creed game (odyssey) is an awesome open world rpg. (plays like Black Flag)

An open world RPG following the assassin's creed model with the Destiny theme would be fucking awesome.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 13:06 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 12:15:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 04:04:
So Destiny 2. A pretty game with great gunplay, set in a world where all the missions are basically kill everything on the screen, get reward. MOBS give true meaning to the term "trash" mobs and there is no risk to go with the reward.

Man fuck these dumbed down carebear games, they are the scourge of the gaming industry. I can't believe that this is the same fucking studio that made Halo.

I duo all of these games, there is some content in D2 we cannot do because of requirements unfullfiled with 2 players or difficulty level is to high as it is balanced for 4. But it seems as you say, it is either a "give me" run or "can't do" run. The Division has more difficulty level choices and we could duo almost all content, a couple raids were above us but at least we could try there isn't a man'd requirement. But in The Division there is content you can do that is downright challenging and rreally impressive AI work and the outcome is undetermined, to me that is gameplay. I haven't seen that with Pre-Forsaken Destiny 2. I'm huge on letting Solo vs Groups to play all content and adjust difficulty accordingly, be inclusive vs exclusive and have loot quality drop based on difficulty chosen, totally get that.
I guess that's why they gave D2 away free last month.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

23. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 12:15 HorrorScope

So Destiny 2. A pretty game with great gunplay, set in a world where all the missions are basically kill everything on the screen, get reward. MOBS give true meaning to the term "trash" mobs and there is no risk to go with the reward.

Man fuck these dumbed down carebear games, they are the scourge of the gaming industry. I can't believe that this is the same fucking studio that made Halo.

I duo all of these games, there is some content in D2 we cannot do because of requirements unfullfiled with 2 players or difficulty level is to high as it is balanced for 4. But it seems as you say, it is either a "give me" run or "can't do" run. The Division has more difficulty level choices and we could duo almost all content, a couple raids were above us but at least we could try there isn't a man'd requirement. But in The Division there is content you can do that is downright challenging and rreally impressive AI work and the outcome is undetermined, to me that is gameplay. I haven't seen that with Pre-Forsaken Destiny 2. I'm huge on letting Solo vs Groups to play all content and adjust difficulty accordingly, be inclusive vs exclusive and have loot quality drop based on difficulty chosen, totally get that.

22. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 12:11 HorrorScope

El Pit wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 01:37:
Best of luck to Bungie but I am afraid they will be in financial trouble soon. If Activision has no problem letting them go and taking Destiny with them, then this proves that Destiny is not making really money and there is currently no Bungie game development that Activision is interested in. I expect Bungie to join EA, Ubi, or Microsoft very soon or it will sadly pull a Telltale.

Reading elsewhere I read that Bungie and Activision was always a limited time partnership and they've mutually agreed to end that. It wasn't a buyout.

EDIT

:In 2010, Bungie and Activision entered a 10-year partnership where the former would craft its own IP while the latter publishes it. To that end, Activision infused the studio with $500 million for the project. The amount would cover everything from tech, to infrastructure, royalties, marketing, and the like."

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2019, 15:09.

21. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 11:10 Desalus

From my short time playing Destiny 2, I have similar sentiments. Even in the original Halo each enemy type had unique AI that had to be handled in a different way. When I played Destiny 2 it felt like I was fighting against wave after wave of a bunch of stupid AI similar to the grunts of Halo. It felt like a big step backwards from the AI and the strategic combat in Halo.

I was also completely lost in regard to the story since Destiny was never released for the PC and as such I never played it. The silent protagonist was a really big turn off too. If you're going to show a multitude of cut scenes have the character talk! It's really jarring and unbelievable to have a mute character who doesn't even yell or scream at the enemy leader who just trashed your base and killed your friends.

20. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 05:29 ExGemini

A little bit too late, don't you think?  

19. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 04:04 VaranDragon

18. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 03:28 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 01:37:
I expect Bungie to join EA, Ubi, or Microsoft very soon or it will sadly pull a Telltale.

Why "sadly"? Good fucking riddance to this PC-despising console peasant developer!

17. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 02:29 Mgshadow

60 bucks is all it would cost you for the base game, all season 1 content, and Forsaken expansion. If you want to play the new stuff for this year only then do you have to pay anything more. With the annual pass it's only 94.

I paid for all of it. Yeah, the first year wasn't great but I've been playing since Forsaken almost every day. It's a far better game now.

16. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 01:49 thestryker

Bungie got $100m from a Chinese investor so I'm assuming that's what is underlying their ability to stand on their own. As for why activision let them go: I think we can all look at the financial failings of destiny 2.

I liked destiny 2 well enough, but the content monetization scheme is easily the worst in AAA gaming currently ($170 retail for everything). This might very well prove to be what killed it in the end despite the fact that it's no different than the first destiny.

Time will tell if it was activision being behind the aggressive monetization and whether or not bungie has anything new to offer.

15. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 01:37 El Pit

Best of luck to Bungie but I am afraid they will be in financial trouble soon. If Activision has no problem letting them go and taking Destiny with them, then this proves that Destiny is not making really money and there is currently no Bungie game development that Activision is interested in. I expect Bungie to join EA, Ubi, or Microsoft very soon or it will sadly pull a Telltale.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

14. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 11, 2019, 00:54 jdreyer

This press release is pretty good at spreading the bullshit. I'm curious what the actual story is.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

13. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 10, 2019, 23:45 Numinar

Jivaro wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 22:23:
Tomorrow's Headline:

Ubisoft buys Bungie, first game of new partnership to be titled Destiny's Creed.

Was just thinking today destiny style asscreed co-op game could be good. it's a puty ACU was such a mess because that setting and the co-op were pretty ambitious. Unfortunately UBI decided that playing it safe was better than trying to get that kind of design to work properly for the games that followed.

I love Destiny. Even with all it's problems it plays like a dream. And with forsaken it's basically Diablo but actually fun to play.

I gotta imagine they don't have the kind of cash on hand to keep themselves going for any length of time. Must be hundreds of people at that studio. Maybe Destiny sales are such that it can support them? I know it's popular compared to most games that want another 100 AUD out of you every year but still seems dicey. I'm sure Sony or MS would like to lock that shit up tight but would it be worth it on a single platform? Not to mention the hatred you get when you leave a fanbase in the dirt, not that it would be a new experience for Myth fans on MAC or PC.

12. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 10, 2019, 23:27 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 21:21:
NasWulf wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 19:52:
Bundy wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 19:34:
Activision didn't seem too happy about the Forsaken sales, doesn't sound like they put up much of a fight when Bungie wanted the game rights.

Because the game is dead and they've already ruined the future of the franchise with the incredible shady shit they pulled, lying over and over to their own player base just to milk as much money as they could. Was is Bungie, was it Activision? at this point, there is only a handful of players playing anyways.

Since it's games and not end of the world musings, they can fix the future of their game(s) and if they do, good for them. It is a game that is too tightly controlled and it seems to be because of monetization, if they can lose that feeling the game has a chance. To note I haven't played Forsaken yet, so perhaps my thoughts are off put, waiting for a 50% sale, hasn't happened yet.

Forsaken was a huge leap forward. There's a few things I'm not happy about- the grind is insane now and exotics drop literally like once every 1000 or so drops (I'm not exaggerating). The Black Armory content drop was mixed for most people but the original Forsaken drop with the Dreaming City really energized the community for a while. We'll see what the last content drop of the season ends up being.

11. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 10, 2019, 22:30 Kain

Some future Bungie game will be an exclusive for the Epic Store or Discord, calling it now  

10. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 10, 2019, 22:23 Jivaro

Tomorrow's Headline:

9. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 10, 2019, 22:10 Avus

DO you guys really think Bungie will not put their foot into the third sh!thole?  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

8. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 10, 2019, 21:37 Tumbler

Can we get an open world RPG ala Red Dead 2, Skyrim, etc? That's what I thought they were making with Destiny... Is that on the table now?  

7. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 10, 2019, 21:21 HorrorScope

NasWulf wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 19:52:
Bundy wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 19:34:
Activision didn't seem too happy about the Forsaken sales, doesn't sound like they put up much of a fight when Bungie wanted the game rights.

Because the game is dead and they've already ruined the future of the franchise with the incredible shady shit they pulled, lying over and over to their own player base just to milk as much money as they could. Was is Bungie, was it Activision? at this point, there is only a handful of players playing anyways.

Since it's games and not end of the world musings, they can fix the future of their game(s) and if they do, good for them. It is a game that is too tightly controlled and it seems to be because of monetization, if they can lose that feeling the game has a chance. To note I haven't played Forsaken yet, so perhaps my thoughts are off put, waiting for a 50% sale, hasn't happened yet.

6. Re: Bungie Emancipated (Again) Jan 10, 2019, 20:32 Creston

Quick, Bungie, find another huge publisher to get in bed with!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo