Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

ESA Pressing WHO on "Gaming Disorder" Plans

A story on Reuters reports that the Entertainment Software Association has been parlaying with The World Health Organization in an attempt to urge the WHO from making an official classification of "gaming disorder" as a health problem. Word is the two organizations discussed this last month in Geneva, and that another meeting is tentatively planned for this year:

The World Health Organization (WHO), which has spent years looking into the addictive nature of video games, put “gaming disorder” on its list of health problems last year, a decision set to be endorsed by governments in May, with potential impacts on, for example, healthcare policy and insurance.

The U.S. gaming industry group discussed the issue with WHO officials in Geneva last month, both sides said.

“It’s our hope that through continued dialogue we can help the WHO avoid rushed action and mistakes that could take years to correct,” Entertainment Software Association (ESA) head Stanley Pierre-Louis said in a statement.

The ESA called for “more conversation and education” before any classification was finalised.

The WHO defined the disorder as when gaming takes over people’s lives for a year or more to the detriment of other activities and the “continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences.”

It said another meeting this year with the industry body was tentatively planned, but the dialogue did not imply collaboration with the games makers.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: ESA Pressing WHO on Jan 11, 2019, 17:11 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 16:29:
Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 13:40:
Except it's hard to find examples of people who have lost their jobs for watching sports, or literally died binge watching The Office on Netflix, yet we can find these examples for games.

Sports addiction isn't really a thing, but gambling addiction is, and as such, it's recognized by the WHO. I'm not convinced games addiction needs to be broken out separate from comparable ones, nor am I convinced this is a cause and not a symptom, but I never understand the "THEY'RE SAYING SOMETHING THAT, IF YOU SQUINT HARD ENOUGH, SAYS ALL THINGS GAMES ARE BAD!" response to this. It's like everyone starts screaming rather than thinks "hey, are there some people thoroughly addicted to games? Yeah, there definitely are."

Who makes more from this argument? The WHO, or the ESA?

I didn't use "watching" sports. I used obsessing over sports, and I noted Fantasy football. There are examples of people who have destroyed their finances blowing their money on this entertainment just like people have spent thousands of dollars on EverQuest items decades ago. And Binge watching TV can actually kill you, study finds. "The danger could be even worse than is known – and is likely to increase as streaming services become popular, scientists suggest." The point is ANYTHING in excess is deadly. That's not a disorder. That's a behavioral thing, and pills can't fix that. The person has to put forth the effort to change their behavior.

Anything in excess is deadly, but only some things are addictive to a wide enough group of people that it becomes a medical issue.

Gambling, we all agree, no? Alcohol? You've yet to put forward an argument that games aren't. Others have, your "but sports! And binge watching!" falls pretty short. You seem to be defending games because it's something you love, not with any solid reasoning behind it.

Unlike the other guy.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: ESA Pressing WHO on Jan 11, 2019, 16:29 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 13:40:
Except it's hard to find examples of people who have lost their jobs for watching sports, or literally died binge watching The Office on Netflix, yet we can find these examples for games.

Sports addiction isn't really a thing, but gambling addiction is, and as such, it's recognized by the WHO. I'm not convinced games addiction needs to be broken out separate from comparable ones, nor am I convinced this is a cause and not a symptom, but I never understand the "THEY'RE SAYING SOMETHING THAT, IF YOU SQUINT HARD ENOUGH, SAYS ALL THINGS GAMES ARE BAD!" response to this. It's like everyone starts screaming rather than thinks "hey, are there some people thoroughly addicted to games? Yeah, there definitely are."

I didn't use "watching" sports. I used obsessing over sports, and I noted Fantasy football. There are examples of people who have destroyed their finances blowing their money on this entertainment just like people have spent thousands of dollars on EverQuest items decades ago. And Binge watching TV can actually kill you, study finds. "The danger could be even worse than is known – and is likely to increase as streaming services become popular, scientists suggest." The point is ANYTHING in excess is deadly. That's not a disorder. That's a behavioral thing, and pills can't fix that. The person has to put forth the effort to change their behavior.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

6. Re: ESA Pressing WHO on Jan 11, 2019, 13:40 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 03:50:
El Pit wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 01:40:
But Gaming Disorder will put food on the table of experts, psychiatrists, politicians, and journalists! THEY NEED GAMING DISORDER TO FEED THEIR FAMILIES! #SaveGamingDisorderNOW #InventSicknessForProfit

Yup! Nobody goes after sports obsessions or binge entertainment viewing as a disorder because the experts, psychiatrists, politicians, and journalists likely do that stuff themselves, so clearly it can't be a disorder if they're doing it. Right?!

They attack video games because it's easy. #CheapAchievements

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: ESA Pressing WHO on Jan 11, 2019, 13:31 ldonyo

It's yet another attack on a symptom, not the actual problem. They don't want to find a cure, they just want an endless stream of patients paying for treatment that never ends and never solves anything.  

4. Re: ESA Pressing WHO on Jan 11, 2019, 03:50 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 01:40:
But Gaming Disorder will put food on the table of experts, psychiatrists, politicians, and journalists! THEY NEED GAMING DISORDER TO FEED THEIR FAMILIES! #SaveGamingDisorderNOW #InventSicknessForProfit

Yup! Nobody goes after sports obsessions or binge entertainment viewing as a disorder because the experts, psychiatrists, politicians, and journalists likely do that stuff themselves, so clearly it can't be a disorder if they're doing it. Right?!

They attack video games because it's easy. #CheapAchievements

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

3. Re: ESA Pressing WHO on Jan 11, 2019, 01:40 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

2. No subject Jan 11, 2019, 00:53 Bitterbug

Who says they aren't looking at those as disorders as well?
Anything that triggers dopamine response is addictive to people susceptible to it. For some people that's drugs. For others it's gambling. And so on, and so on.
The only reason the 'gaming disorder' is the focus of the ESA and gaming community is because it's gaming related.
That they break addiction down into so many sub-categories isn't really intended for the general public, but for the people who study addictions and WHY some people are more susceptible than others, and what it is about those sub-categories that makes them more addictive to certain people than other things.
Recognizing and studying what it is that makes these things addictive will also help weed out the bad actors who intentionally target addictive types to fund their games, sites, etc.
Like on the F2P games where they refer to that single digit group as "whales" and rely on their addiction to fund the game for everyone else.

1. Re: ESA Pressing WHO on Jan 10, 2019, 21:25 Kxmode

Why are they not looking at people who are binge-watching TV and online series as a "Viewing Disorder," or those who obsess over sports (like that guy at the office who talks about his fantasy Football league like his life depended on it)? So why do they even think there's a disorder associated with video games? I would hazard a guess to say people saying there's a disorder with video games are likely not playing them, but they probably have a Fantasy Football league that they obsess over. Hypocrites.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo