Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed

Ubisoft offers system specifications and new details for Tom Clancy's The Division 2, their upcoming open-world online shooter. They also announce the game is now available for preorder from the Epic Games Store and the Ubisoft Store, a brief list of etailers that noticeably excludes Steam. Sure enough, Polygon confirms that at this time Ubisoft has no plans to sell the game on Steam, presumably to avoid a higher royalty rate. A Ubisoft representative replied to their inquiry thusly: "We have no plans currently on releasing Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 on Steam." Those who do preorder the game will get access to a private beta, and those who do not still have a chance to be selected to participate if they register here. They illustrate the news with a PC features overview trailer where the developers show off the game and discuss its PC cred. Word is: "The Division 2 is rolling towards its March 15 release date, and the development team at Ubisoft Massive has fully optimized the game for PC. The PC version of the game includes a host of features, including uncapped frame rate, uncapped display resolution, full UI and HUD customization, multiscreen and widescreen support, variable refresh rate support, and HDR support." They offer four levels of system specifications:

Minimum – 1080p | 30 FPS

• CPU: AMD FX-6350 | Intel Core I5-2500K
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 670
  • VRAM: 2 GB
  • DIRECT X: DirectX 11 | 12

Recommended – 1080p | 60 FPS

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X | Intel Core I7-4790
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • GPU: AMD RX 480 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
  • VRAM: 4 GB

High – 1440p | 60 FPS

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | Intel Core I7-6700K
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • GPU: AMD RX Vega 56 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
  • VRAM: 8 GB

Elite – 4K | 60 FPS

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Intel Core I9-7900X
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • GPU: AMD Radeon VII | Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 TI
  • VRAM: 11 GB

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 23:27 Avus

This is a good news. All the Steam haters (like many in here) can go play this game in UPlay..  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 22:02 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 21:45:
The majority don't care how many launchers they have on their systems. GOG, Ubi, Epic, Steam, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

They care.

DFC Intelligence, a research firm, told Polygon. "[Steam is] in a much stronger position than a retailer like GameStop when it comes to market share. It is somewhat unprecedented. Yes, a handful of games can get away with not being on Steam but, for most games, they lose the prime consumer distribution channel."

Buying a game on Steam, for most players, is the path of least resistance. It's an account they have already set up at a place that already houses most of their PC games. A developer or publisher is betting that their game is going to be worth the inconvenience of signing up for another service if they decide not to launch on Steam, and that's assuming they're confident enough to believe players will even know the game exists. Steam isn't just where players go to buy games, it's where many players go to shop for games.

But even before this, outliers like Minecraft and League of Legends launched away from Steam. Those games had the two advantages of being released years ago, into a very different market, and also achieving large-scale success in a fairly rapid timeframe.

"On the whole, Steam is a pretty full-service platform," Joan Blachere, communications manager of Motion Twin, the developer of Dead Cells, told Polygon. "Does it have drawbacks? Stacks of them. Could they do better? Sure. However, having worked with everyone in the business I can confidently say that Steam is the best, by a country mile."

"Year over year, the 14.8 million people opening Steam on an average July 2018 day is still up significantly from the 12.8 million people doing the same last July or the 8.8 million daily average from July 2015," Kyle Orland reported. "Unless those year-over-year numbers start dipping precipitously, Valve’s industry-leading platform is still probably in pretty good shape." (source)

The people not actively on Steam or GOG are likely on a game through a publisher's launcher. But they tend to gravitate to Steam for regular sales and GOG for DRM-free gaming on an extensive library of titles. This effectively makes Steam and GOG PC gaming consoles with brand loyalty not unlike Playstation and Xbox. Epic's Store is a new unfamiliar PC Gaming "console."

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

37. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 21:45 RedEye9

The majority don't care how many launchers they have on their systems. GOG, Ubi, Epic, Steam, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
It's just smart business to sell it yourself versus having someone else sell it and take a cut. Simple Business 101.
The couple of lost sales will easily be made up by not having to pay someone else a cut. Why is this even a discussion.

36. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 21:38 Kxmode

Instant Karma wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 23:15:
This.
I am not impressed with the storefront pie slices getting more prolific.
Just give me the two main ones, and leave my PC alone, FFS.

That's the point I made in this thread that people were hassling me about. To reiterate:

No one wants to fragment their online game shopping between different platforms. At most, people are willing to put up with 1-2, and at the moment Steam and GOG are the go-to places for that.

Not saying I'm interested in The Division 2, but even if the game ultimately goes through UPlay, I wouldn't buy because Ubisoft isn't supporting my preferred PC gaming platform: Steam. So they lost $60 because they're too greedy about the 30% cut Valve takes? Yeah, that's some weak-sauce financial thinking. You SELL everywhere, to make money from EVERYWHERE. Business 101.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

35. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 21:33 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 19:42:
Steam can do two things now:

1) Lower their stupid 30% royalty rate, and not by that garbage "Well, if you sell 50 million copies, we'll let you pay 25%" BS, but go down to like 15%.

2) Become fucking irrelevant and be out of business in 3 years.

With Steam's customer base nothing that drastic will happen in 3 years. It'll take a cycle, and those usually happen every 7 years.

34. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 21:30 Kxmode

Darks wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 18:31:
LOL, Steams heading south pretty fast. Too bad for greedy ass Gabe. But I dont feel one bit sorry for his fat ass.

Are you triggered because Valve hasn't made Half-Life 3?

33. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 21:29 Kxmode

"Those of you eager to save Washington, DC from the brink of total collapse"

Yeah-No.

32. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 17:28 HorrorScope

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 02:21:
Is there anyone who actually thought the Division was good?

I've recently just played it, I thought it was fantastic, really surprised me, the AI when things kick up in difficulty really was fun to watch in action, I recall days of Half Life and Fear, it reminded me of that in terms of what I was seeing in game vs the field, really a cut above. I thought overall from gun play to leveling to looting was pretty solid. Still room for improvement, but a good start/save. I paid $13 after all patches, but it has me seeing how D2 turns out and if it is glowing and checks my needs, it could be the first $60 game I paid for since Skyrim.

My youngest didn't like it, I don't think he gave it proper time, yes running in city blocks looks monotonous, but the game was way more than that. He liked Far Cry 5 a lot, I feel The Division was quite a bit more polished than F5 which that runs like a pig and has too much going on every 200 yards, I mean come on, not that I didn't like F5.

We both like Wildlands equally fwiw. To me Division > Wildlands > F5. I would also go The Division > Destiny 2, hope Bungie taking over from Activisions clutches will loosen the game up some, it felt too damn corporate. FWIW I didn't hate Warframe, but I feel all of these are a cut above, well at least from 2 years ago's vs of Warframe.

And finally all these games fall under the Borderlands umbrella to me but with a mmo slant and probably still like it the best, great Story/VA, liberal loot and good leveling builds. Borderlands is basically an ARPG with a better narrative in First/3rd Person form which is what I really want from Anthem, The Div and Destiny.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2019, 17:42.

31. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 17:23 HorrorScope

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 02:00:
It's Ubisoft. Who cares? Zero interest. Next! Where's my Cyberpunk?
Over the last year I've easily enjoyed more games under their umbrella than anyone else and I haven't even made it to Odyssey yet. In each game I've played there are things I see in their game I haven't seen as well done elsewhere. Yes most have that one formula we all know of, but there is gameplay within that, which is quite good and well there has to be some open world structure to get to an ending.

30. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 16:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

I bought it with my coop people year(s?) after release, on sale, after many patches and content updates. It's definitely good now, not sure how it was on release.

Not a great game, but definitely fun for the ~100 hours we got out of it, almost exclusively PvE, with some minor PvP in the Dark Zone. Like any game with grinding, PvP people who played for 500+ hours and had perfect rolled gear and weapons had a bit of an advantage, plus there were clearly clan groups we ran into that had 6+ people who would NOT shoot each other, and ganged up on smaller groups.

I'm hoping/expecting for about the same experience from the sequel; good PvE fun, enough of a gear treadmill that's enjoyable for 60-200 hours or so, and probably not a whole lot of PvP from me at least.

The idea of the Dark Zone was pretty cool, but like all cool ideas, humanity exploits what it can. Definitely enjoyably tense in there though.

29. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 11:36 Medvanis

Bought into it late as well; after a lot of the patches and improvements were done. My wife and I had a lot of fun playing through the story together. The atmosphere of the game was amazing. I also did not get into the PvP at all. But the base game play was solid. I am very much looking forward to D2 but will definitely wait for the reviews.  

28. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 09:37 Prez

By the time I dove into it there was a ton of updates and additional content, so I spent well over 100 hours in it. The back-story was satisfyingly gritty and dark, and the world was very well-realized. Some of the side-quests were excellent (the one where you find the doc's ex-wife out in the street playing piano was surprisingly touching). It's just a shame that from beginning to end the story went basically nowhere. I found the fights immensely satisfying and the gameplay loop was very rewarding to me. I am still hoping that the sequel addresses my two biggest concerns - plot advancement and enemy variety - but I'm going to wait and see before buying.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 03:45 Steele Johnson

I thought it was awesome. Open world co-op is my kind of game to play with my gaming buddies. I didn’t play the pvp, nor did I pay full price. We bought it a year or so after release (i.e. after many fixes and enhancements) for around $29 on sale. I loved the graphics, audio, artwork, attention to detail. Even the AI wasn’t too bad. Well worth the price!

26. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 02:21 VaranDragon

25. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 10, 2019, 02:00 ForgedReality

It's Ubisoft. Who cares? Zero interest. Next! Where's my Cyberpunk?  

24. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 9, 2019, 23:28 Creston

Far Cry New Dawn is still on Steam, so it seems to just be Div2 that's getting this treatment.

23. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 9, 2019, 23:20 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 22:05:
Slightly off topic, Blue:

a brief list of etailers that noticeably excludes Steam.

Missing an 'r' there.

I would imagine he meant etailers, as in electronic retailers.

22. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 9, 2019, 23:15 Instant Karma

This.
I am not impressed with the storefront pie slices getting more prolific.
Just give me the two main ones, and leave my PC alone, FFS.

21. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 9, 2019, 23:11 Cutter

Primalchrome wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 22:34:
Publisher-centric storefronts are going to further erode many things that we enjoy in gaming rather than inspire competition. I realize that it's edgy to hate Steam, but it and GoG are two of the best storefronts/distributors out there.

I don't think so. People won't trust storefronts that can dissapear at any time. They'll want to have their copy of the game they own on their own PC - backup, what have you. I know I'm sure not buying a game from some small dev/pub directly otherwise.

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

20. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 9, 2019, 22:59 Slashman

Primalchrome wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 22:34:
Publisher-centric storefronts are going to further erode many things that we enjoy in gaming rather than inspire competition. I realize that it's edgy to hate Steam, but it and GoG are two of the best storefronts/distributors out there.

Pssst! This is the THE place for edgy people who think their opinions are relevant.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo