Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing

Robot Entertainment announces they are closing down Orcs Must Die! Unchained, Hero Academy, and Hero Academy 2 as of April 8th, saying of the news "it's painful to even write this" (thanks VMatrix). The post includes a FAQ that explains that none of these games is any longer pulling its weight: "Orcs Must Die! Unchained and Hero Academy 2 have been unable to maintain a sufficient player base to cover the operational costs to keep the games running. The original Hero Academy has been technically obsolete for a long time now. We could not maintain the pace of operating system updates from Apple. It was actually removed from the App Store in early 2018." Here's more from CEO Patrick Hudson:
It's painful to even write this. We are sorry to say that we will be closing down Orcs Must Die! Unchained, Hero Academy, and Hero Academy 2.

Making and supporting a game is a long and challenging journey. Along the way, there are plenty of highs and plenty of lows. The communities who play our games join us on these journeys. We know this decision affects our players as much as it does us.

We've kept these games operating at a financial loss for many months. Unfortunately, it's no longer sustainable for us to do so. We must shift our focus to future games and make our investments there.

All three games will remain playable until Monday, April 8th, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. Central Time (UTC-05:00). Commencing immediately, all players logging into Orcs Must Die! Unchained and Hero Academy 2 will receive a substantial free grant of hard and soft currencies to enjoy the remaining weeks of live play. You may have to wait up to 24 hours for the currency grant to arrive in your account. We do not have a way to immediately make the grants upon first login.

All of us at Robot would like to thank everyone who has played one of these games. We've loved interacting with you in game, on our forums, and at places like PAX. We hope you give us the opportunity to join you again in our future games.
View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing
Jan 8, 2019, 17:38
El Pit

Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing Jan 8, 2019, 17:38
Jan 8, 2019, 17:38
 El Pit

Saboth wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 19:44:
OMD 1 was a great game. As a single player, I loved it. OMD 2 began the slide downhill. It was obviously built around multiplayer, and single player was an afterthought (and was not fun). Then came more focus on multiplayer games, and they sunk even further. Should have stayed with the original recipe that brought you success.

This was my experience, too. OMD 1 was great to be played alone, OMD 2 was built for co-op. All the levels were built for two gamers which made the single-player gaming tedious and stressful. I like some stress like in OMD 1, but OMD 2 was simply not built to be played alone. Never touched OMD U because I expected it to be too much like OMD 2 (or even worse).
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Jan 8, 2019, 09:39
Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing Jan 8, 2019, 09:39
Jan 8, 2019, 09:39

Saboth wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 19:44:
OMD 1 was a great game. As a single player, I loved it. OMD 2 began the slide downhill. It was obviously built around multiplayer, and single player was an afterthought (and was not fun). Then came more focus on multiplayer games, and they sunk even further. Should have stayed with the original recipe that brought you success.

OMD2 was very, very playable solo. I never did it co-op, but 5 skulled everything solo. It was very difficult, until you got the hang of it. I'm wagering you didn't enjoy it enough to stick around to figure out the solo strategy. It took me a few rounds in part because I was used to games where you could wrangle, so I'd block one exit off entirely hoping that they'd funnel to the other. Instead, every enemy is spawned with a specific exit they will pound their way to.

Mastering it requires building traps that can mostly hold their own for a while, prioritizing traps on one exit and you on another, and spending a lot of time hoofing back and forth.

I liked it more than the original. More to do, more personality, more traps. I get that a lot of people didn't, but trust me when I say that it's very playable solo, very beatable solo, and at least two me, very fun solo.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 8, 2019, 09:13
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 09:13
Jan 8, 2019, 09:13

I enjoyed OMD2, playing co-op with the wife.

You all don’t want to hear this, but there’s a game that’s fairly similar, with even more ability to build clever trap chains, and with an endless number of maps. A huge amount of progression, several big events each year with unique gameplay modes and rewards. Weapon and trap leveling and customization. A ridiculously silly story that plays out inside missions. It’s Fortnite Save the World. Yep.

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 7, 2019, 22:53
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 22:53
Jan 7, 2019, 22:53

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 18:56:
Well, good.

I loved OMD1 and 2, played them a ton, even convinced my COOP people to play them a bit with me, but none of us wanted the F2P version. The sooner all these F2P microtransaction cash grabs, and mobile spinoffs die, the better.

Same here... OMD1 was amazing, and luckily I had a buddy that wanted to duo OMD2. Duoing the whole game with the same person was an incredible gaming experience!

I tried the OMD Unchained game, and it felt like a cross between OMD and a MOBA, and I just couldn't get into it. I don't want to fight other people, I want to make crazy trap mazes that hordes of AI go through and die; then play with trap configs until we get it right. I think OMD2 holds up really well, and is still one of the best 2 player co-op games!

Jan 7, 2019, 22:18
Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing Jan 7, 2019, 22:18
Jan 7, 2019, 22:18

The future of all "live services" which ironically are never "live" for all that long. Gaming is just a fucking mess right now.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jan 7, 2019, 19:44
Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing Jan 7, 2019, 19:44
Jan 7, 2019, 19:44

Jan 7, 2019, 19:12
Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing Jan 7, 2019, 19:12
Jan 7, 2019, 19:12

Sad news. Me and a couple of my buddies still play OMD every week. 3man PVE is still very fun for us. But we never did get into the PVP at all. Like you I hope they do an OMD3. I would gladly go back to a full price model instead of the micro transactions, especially if there is a good PVE story/progression (along with multiplayer option).

Jan 7, 2019, 18:56
Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing Jan 7, 2019, 18:56
Jan 7, 2019, 18:56

Well, good.

I loved OMD1 and 2, played them a ton, even convinced my COOP people to play them a bit with me, but none of us wanted the F2P version. The sooner all these F2P microtransaction cash grabs, and mobile spinoffs die, the better.

Jan 7, 2019, 18:23
Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing Jan 7, 2019, 18:23
Jan 7, 2019, 18:23

On one hand, that sucks.

On the other hand, this was the game no one wanted. OMD had a decent fanbase, and I consider myself among it. I 5 skulled every map in each of the first two games. A mix of shooter and tower defense, with a bit of personality? It's like the game was made for me. But the horde mode in 2 never fully clicked with me (like most horde modes, the ramp sucks - it's way too easy, until it's suddenly way too hard, with about 10% of the game in the sweet spot of fun), and this seemed like horde mode gone multiplayer, right? Which was also something I didn't want. I didn't pay attention to this at all, had no clue when it came out, couldn't fully tell you what it was, just know it was similar to something I loved but not the thing I loved.

Hope they do an OMD3. Man, did I love the first two. Easily top 3 or top 5 of their release years for me.

Jan 7, 2019, 18:17
Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing Jan 7, 2019, 18:17
Jan 7, 2019, 18:17

What a surprise, you remove the one mode the community wanted Siege mode in Orcs and you lose the player count to keep it running.

Also the damn game crashed a ton at the initial loading screen and you wonder why your players left.

It would be nice to add the server.exe if your going to shut down the server.

Jan 7, 2019, 17:58
RaZ0r!

Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing Jan 7, 2019, 17:58
Jan 7, 2019, 17:58
 RaZ0r!

Oh darn?
I pwnz j00!
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older