Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game

The good news about the tease and its follow-up that surfaced over the weekend for an Aliens project is that this indeed turns out to be for Alien Blackout, a title discovered late last year through its trademark filing. The bad news, for PC gamers at least, is that this will be a mobile offering. A new Alien: Blackout website (thanks Variety) has the details, and here's a bit:

The terror of Alien is brought to life in Alien: Blackout. Try to stay alive while trapped aboard a crippled Weyland-Yutani space station carrying a deadly Xenomorph as it tirelessly hunts you and the crew. Outsmart the perfect hunter by making perilous choices. Players must rely on the damaged controls of the space station or risk sacrificing crew members to avoid deadly contact, permanently altering the outcome of the game.

Survive seven fear-inducing levels by remotely guiding Amanda Ripleyís crew through increasingly challenging tasks using only the stationís emergency systems. The uncertainty and unpredictability of both the alien and her crew can impose total defeat for Amanda and the entire station.

Alien: Blackout is a unique fear-inducing horror premium mobile game experience that will test the inner nerves of both Alien and horror fans alike, where life can end in an instant.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 9, 2019, 03:13 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 09:01:
Sacrifice wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 20:23:
Drayth wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 19:35:
New law: It is illegal to tease the announcement of a mobile game.

I am honestly shocked after the negativity for the Diablo mobile game that they even teased this at all. They somehow expect a positive response?

Never forget that marketing departments are made up of the mongrels that are literally too fucking stupid to do ANY other work. So yeah, they totally thought this would go over like fucking cake.

Dilbert.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 21:41 Beamer

The Magician wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 18:56:
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

has any Alien series game, made after the one that came out in the 80's for Commodore computers, been at all worth playing?

The original AvP is 2/3 great. The Predator campaign is awful[url=][/url], but the other two were great.

Much like the commodore one, though, I don't think it's held up. Tried it like 8 years ago, no bueno. But it was great at the time.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 18:56 The Magician

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

has any Alien series game, made after the one that came out in the 80's for Commodore computers, been at all worth playing?

32. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 13:42 Drayth

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 11:13:
(didn't Ripley say her daughter died in Aliens, while she was in deep freeze?)

This is some sort of follow up (whether canon or not I'm not sure) to Alein: Isolation, which involves the daughter before she's rescued from deep freeze.

31. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 12:44 swaaye

It's certainly not the first mobile game for this franchise. Maybe it will be decent for what it is.  

30. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 11:13 Beamer

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 10:31:
I don't think anyone is claiming that good mobile games are an impossible task, just an improbable one. Most mobile games go for the low hanging free-to-play, pay-to-win fruit and even with a decent gameplay loop this leads to pretty much guaranteed mediocre games.

I for one can't get hyped for a mobile game for precisely this reason. The only one which I played which was absolutely awesome was Hearthstone.

No, but that guy was definitely implying there's no point to making mobile games, because there's no mobile Half Life. Which is a really, really odd point of view. But I expect that here, where about 20% of people think that, unless something is literally Half life, it's garbage and all who enjoy it are garbage.

As for this game, I am not interested. I can see how a game where you're in a security room of a facility invaded by aliens could be a blast, but I don't trust a team that thinks having "Amanda Ripley" do it could possibly make anything worthwhile (didn't Ripley say her daughter died in Aliens, while she was in deep freeze?)

But to say mobile games are stupid because this one will likely be stupid...

-------------

29. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 11:05 HardCore74

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 20:05:
I'm just disappointed I wont' get to listen to Boston's Amanda while an alien explodes out of her chest.

Me too. I think they should still do it, and I might even plan on a $1 purchase, just for this one scene/audio clip (if I were certain it wouldn't be hidden wayyyy behind a paywall and 179 levels + ads until you unlocked the "full" version.

I really want to divert here and talk about the ridiculous trend in ALL forms of gaming where you buy something and have to keep spending more and more money to get the "full" version...but I won't go there...today.

"Stay on target....stay on target..."

28. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 10:39 Reactor

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 10:31:
I don't think anyone is claiming that good mobile games are an impossible task, just an improbable one. Most mobile games go for the low hanging free-to-play, pay-to-win fruit and even with a decent gameplay loop this leads to pretty much guaranteed mediocre games.

I for one can't get hyped for a mobile game for precisely this reason. The only one which I played which was absolutely awesome was Hearthstone.

If it helps, Alien Blackout isn't a freemium title.

27. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 10:31 VaranDragon

26. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 09:49 Beamer

Reactor wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 09:06:
Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 07:20:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 01:12:
The shift seems weird. How is it even working? Smartphones have been around for over ten years and Iíve yet to play a mind-blowing, captivative game that gives me the same feeling I got when I first started playing pc games back in the 90s. I guess Words With Friends and fín Fappiní Birds is the new Half-Life and System Shock. What a simple generation of gamers. Itís really sad to see it all come crumbling down.

Not to mention all the fín 8 bit graphics side-scrollers that are winning game of the year lmao. Iím just going to throw out my pc and start basket weaving.

Because your expectations are incorrect. I mean, I've never seen a table-top game that rivals Half Life, yet plenty of people here love table-top games. It's because they're not expecting one to, y'know, be Half-Life.

Mobile games are largely about doing something fun to kill time, whether on a subway, sitting around waiting for something, or just on the couch with the TV on in the background. I don't know, maybe you're one of those guys that builds a mobile PS4 rig to take in the airport, but when I'm at my gate waiting I'll often kill time on my phone. Like a normal human being. And you need fun games for that. Games you can play rounds quickly. Games somewhat repetitive so you can master them over time. You're not here for plot, you're not here for graphics, and not here for action.

But games like Mini Metro, or Bloons TD, or Kingdom Rush, are all very fun strategy games to master.

Wholehearted agree... but I wanted to add that PC experiences are making their way to mobile too. Iíve been playing Tropico without a hassle, along with Grid and great platformers like Odmar. What you can do in a small device is pretty crazy these days.

I've done Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, too. It's not as much fun as playing on the PC, but it's also far more convenient. I can play in the airport, I can play on my couch while watching something with my girlfriend, etc. It's another ideal game for the phone - input a bit iffy at times, but the game is forgiving, and it's all about strategy, not twitching.

I know there are some plot heavy mobile games out there, often launched on many platforms, that do very well with mobile input, I just have no interest in a game that needs me to hear anything (hell, I even play a lot of my PC games without sound these days - a strategy game often has repetitive and unnecessary sound that I can happily opt out of.)

-------------

25. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 09:49 Reactor

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 09:31:
Reactor wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 02:35:
The shift seems weird. How is it even working? Smartphones have been around for over ten years and Iíve yet to play a mind-blowing, captivative game that gives me the same feeling I got when I first started playing pc games back in the 90s. I guess Words With Friends and fín Fappiní Birds is the new Half-Life and System Shock. What a simple generation of gamers. Itís really sad to see it all come crumbling down.

Not to mention all the fín 8 bit graphics side-scrollers that are winning game of the year lmao. Iím just going to throw out my pc and start basket weaving.

How old are you? Youíre referring to 90s PC gaming as though thatís the time when good games first appeared (which is so far from true itís rediculious) but then you mention Flappy Bird and Words With Friends as if you havenít upgraded your phone in 8 years.

Mobile gaming obviously isnít going to grab you in the same way as a gaming system (for totally obvious reasons) but times have changed... there are some quality premium titles to play. Iíve had some really great moments playing games on my iPad/phone.

Iím not saying this is the best move for the Alien series... but too much whining about mobile gaming methinks.

So, Candy Crusher, according to you, which decade did the best pc games first appear? What we're talking about here is that it's a letdown that the aliens game is mobile and not pc. I mean, this is Blues News after all. Yeah, I owned an Atari too, whoop-de-doo. My point is that most of us build expensive machines, so when we see a triple-A dev tease a new game, and it turns out to be a mobile one (e.g. Blizzard), it's a big letdown.

Why are you calling me Candy Crusher? Do you think I'm young or something? Whatever. I actually said I didn't disagree with your point (although I don't personally mind a mobile game, because mobile gaming isn't as 2005 as you seem to think it is). After the success of Isolation you'd think they'd follow it up with another.

But for the record, good games didn't start with the PC. If you've got a 2600 still sitting around in a box somewhere I'm sure you know gaming was alive and well long before Windows PCs entered the fray.

My point was that, disappointment aside, maybe this won't be as pointless as some people imagine it will be.

24. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 09:31 Steele Johnson

Reactor wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 02:35:

How old are you? Youíre referring to 90s PC gaming as though thatís the time when good games first appeared (which is so far from true itís rediculious) but then you mention Flappy Bird and Words With Friends as if you havenít upgraded your phone in 8 years.

Mobile gaming obviously isnít going to grab you in the same way as a gaming system (for totally obvious reasons) but times have changed... there are some quality premium titles to play. Iíve had some really great moments playing games on my iPad/phone.

Iím not saying this is the best move for the Alien series... but too much whining about mobile gaming methinks.

So, Candy Crusher, according to you, which decade did the best pc games first appear? What we're talking about here is that it's a letdown that the aliens game is mobile and not pc. I mean, this is Blue's News after all. Yeah, I owned an Atari too, whoop-de-doo. My point is that most of us build expensive machines, so when we see a dev tease a new game, and it turns out to be a mobile one (e.g. Blizzard), it's a big letdown.

23. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 09:06 Reactor

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 07:20:

Because your expectations are incorrect. I mean, I've never seen a table-top game that rivals Half Life, yet plenty of people here love table-top games. It's because they're not expecting one to, y'know, be Half-Life.

Mobile games are largely about doing something fun to kill time, whether on a subway, sitting around waiting for something, or just on the couch with the TV on in the background. I don't know, maybe you're one of those guys that builds a mobile PS4 rig to take in the airport, but when I'm at my gate waiting I'll often kill time on my phone. Like a normal human being. And you need fun games for that. Games you can play rounds quickly. Games somewhat repetitive so you can master them over time. You're not here for plot, you're not here for graphics, and not here for action.

But games like Mini Metro, or Bloons TD, or Kingdom Rush, are all very fun strategy games to master.

Wholehearted agree... but I wanted to add that PC experiences are making their way to mobile too. Iíve been playing Tropico without a hassle, along with Grid and great platformers like Odmar. What you can do in a small device is pretty crazy these days.

22. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 09:01 Creston

Sacrifice wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 20:23:
Drayth wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 19:35:
New law: It is illegal to tease the announcement of a mobile game.

I am honestly shocked after the negativity for the Diablo mobile game that they even teased this at all. They somehow expect a positive response?

Never forget that marketing departments are made up of the mongrels that are literally too fucking stupid to do ANY other work. So yeah, they totally thought this would go over like fucking cake.

21. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 07:20 Beamer

-------------

20. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 07:02 Drayth

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 05:30:

If you wanted to price it maliciously then yeah, but that's a bad monetization scheme since it's obvious. In reality the points would never match up, sure, but you'd also not be guaranteed to get escape points since you would be guided to buy "premium" loot boxes where you MIGHT get escape points or.. not.

...with the majority of loot boxes containing in-game sticky notes with various little doodles she can place on the sides of the motion tracker's display.

The rare ones are colored in.

19. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 05:30 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 00:30:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 21:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 21:29:
"Alien got you trapped in a room? Need a way out? Deploy a decoy for 65 Escape Points! *

* Escape Points available in the Alienstore: 100 for $4.99"
Too close to the truth to be funny.

You'll notice that I made the price of the decoy such a price that it's impossible to use all the points that you obtain per unit. Just like real life.

If you wanted to price it maliciously then yeah, but that's a bad monetization scheme since it's obvious. In reality the points would never match up, sure, but you'd also not be guaranteed to get escape points since you would be guided to buy "premium" loot boxes where you MIGHT get escape points or.. not.

Hint: That's literally how Fifa 19 FUT is monetized.

18. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 02:35 Reactor

17. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 01:12 Steele Johnson

16. Re: Alien: Blackout a Mobile Game Jan 8, 2019, 00:41 Muscular Beaver

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 00:30:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 21:48:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 21:29:
"Alien got you trapped in a room? Need a way out? Deploy a decoy for 65 Escape Points! *

* Escape Points available in the Alienstore: 100 for $4.99"
Too close to the truth to be funny.

You'll notice that I made the price of the decoy such a price that it's impossible to use all the points that you obtain per unit. Just like real life.
Yes, I noticed.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo