Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors

At CES NVIDIA announced it is expanding the availability of G-SYNC to some monitors not specifically designed for this frame-syncing technology. A new driver release on January 15th will add GYSNC support to 10- and 20-series graphics cards for a dozen monitors "capable of variable refresh rates (VRR) using the VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol." They don't mention FreeSync at all, but the "G-SYNC Compatible" monitors are listed on this page advertize native FreeSync support. FreeSync was developed by AMD as a competitor to G-SYNC, and both are ways of providing high framerates and tear-free graphics without requiring the use of Vsynch, and since it doesn't carry the same licensing costs as GSYNC, supporting it is less expensive to manufacturers and consumers. They say they tested 400 monitors to come up with the 12 on their compatible list, so this is more on a case-by-case basis than is universal support, but they do say they will continue to test monitors and update the list. Along the way they also announce new Big Format screens for living rooms with G-SYNC HDR support and a range of new G-SYNC monitors, but there's no word on whether they are dropping G-SYNC licensing fees for manufacturing partners. Here are more details:

G-SYNC Compatible tests will identify monitors that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce RTX 20-series and GeForce GTX 10-series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically.

Support for G-SYNC Compatible monitors will begin Jan. 15 with the launch of our first 2019 Game Ready driver. Already, 12 monitors have been validated as G-SYNC Compatible (from the 400 we have tested so far). We’ll continue to test monitors and update our support list. For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we’ll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too.

For the most demanding gamers, G-SYNC and G-SYNC Ultimate HDR displays featuring an NVIDIA G-SYNC processor will represent the very highest image quality, performance and experience. These displays will benefit from an end-to-end certification process that includes more than 300 tests for image quality.

They’ll feature a full refresh rate range from 1 Hz to the display panel’s maximum rate, plus other advantages like variable overdrive, refresh rate overclocking, ultra-low motion blur display modes and industry-leading HDR with 1,000 nits, full matrix backlight and DCI-P3 color.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 11, 2019, 13:40 RedEye9

Dev wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 00:33:
Hardocp is one of the only 2 sites I trust for power supply reviews where they really test them with expensive test equipment, instead of hooking up a multimeter, measuring volts, and calling it good.

Also, they've called out BOTH amd and nvidia over crap, and gotten banned from review copies before too. They've praised both companies as well. There's no bias either way, they call it as they see it. And both companies have pulled crap and produced awesomeness at various times.
^This
[H]ardocp tell's it like it is, from their impeccable benchmark numbers, methodology, reviews and reasoning.
If someones panties get in a wad I recommend unwadding them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 11, 2019, 08:05 Kain

That's called the placebo effect, perhaps shroud would see his enemies better if his monitor could produce even a modicum of the color spectrum Besides those guys use whatever they're paid to use.

But obviously buy whatever you want, I'm just offering my view on each underlying tech. As long as you get the frag you could be using an ipad for all I care.

43. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 11, 2019, 01:48 Slick

To each their own. I'd consider myself an A/V snob. I rock OLED for my main TV and phone. I can't stand anything less. But but gaming, it's a pro/con situation.

You're definitely not "paying the same fees and getting less". There's a reason why Shroud uses a 240hz monitor. Your brain gets more information pumped into it faster and more consistently, so for gaming, even non-competitive gaming, it's IMO a better experience.

To me, the major sticking point of TN is the viewing angles. It suffers from horizontal AND vertical. But for a gaming monitor, this doesn't really matter, as the user should be perfectly centered anyways.

Anyways, git gud scrubs, 960hz monitor of bust. I'm getting old, I need all the crutches I can find.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

42. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 10, 2019, 22:34 Kain

Anything you saw in store had its brightness, contrast and saturation blown out. Store conditions are terrible and misleading. TN is still pretty much awful when compared to any halfway decent VA/IPS based monitor. It has all of the same problems it did 10 years ago, the tech has not meaningfully advanced in any way. Poor contrast, terrible viewing angles and poor color reproduction. TN was an important stepping stone for LCD tech due to its efficiency and affordability. But given the ever decreasing costs of VA and IPS it's been outmoded everywhere except the low end or weird niches like "competitive gamers". Heck even at the low end there are tons of VA & IPS offerings these days.

I would not personally buy a TN monitor these days, not because I'm a monitor snob or something but because it's simply unnecessary to pay the same prices and get less.

41. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 10, 2019, 16:21 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 05:10:
Slick wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 04:45:
They don't make high-rez high-refresh VA panels, so that's a non-starter.

Dude? Define "high refresh" but the screen yours truly is currently writing this post on is this one here which has a 1440p VA panel w/ G-Sync and up to 165Hz (I personally kept it at 144Hz though).

It has far superior quality to TN. TN has improved (as have IPS and VA) but it doesn't hold a candle to IPS/PLS or VA and never will due to its inherent limitations. It may be great for competitive gaming or for people on a super-tight budget but otherwise it's plain garbage.

Well, colour me schooled. In the department of there being VA monitors like that on the market at least, I honestly had no idea. If the aspect ratio wasn't whack i'd rather have something like that than the IPS I currently have, I miss the deep blacks of VA.

I disagree on TN being "garbage" for anything other than competitive gaming etc. I've seen TN models in-store, and maybe they were calibrated properly, had their settings maxed, saturation maxed etc... I have no idea, I didn't OSD menu-dive, but they looked great to me. I'm sure if there was a side-by-side I could tell the difference, but at a glance it looked actually great, not "good enough" or "no one can tell the difference so who cares good enough".

TN is "inferior" to the other techs when it comes to PQ. No one is arguing that. It's just nowhere near the "gulf of garbage" that I think we all think about when we hear "TN Panel" from years past.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

40. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 9, 2019, 00:33 Dev

Hardocp is one of the only 2 sites I trust for power supply reviews where they really test them with expensive test equipment, instead of hooking up a multimeter, measuring volts, and calling it good.

Also, they've called out BOTH amd and nvidia over crap, and gotten banned from review copies before too. They've praised both companies as well. There's no bias either way, they call it as they see it. And both companies have pulled crap and produced awesomeness at various times.

39. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 19:46 Drayth

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 05:10:
Dude? Define "high refresh" but the screen yours truly is currently writing this post on is this one here which has a 1440p VA panel w/ G-Sync and up to 165Hz (I personally kept it at 144Hz though).

I have the same monitor CJ, and for once, I agree with every point you've made in this thread.

HardOCP has been on a ridiculous anti NVidia crusade past few months (Linus even called him out over his NDA outrage where he was saying how his lawyer looked it over and said it was the most anti-consumer thing he's ever seen. Linus said it looked like a typical NDA), but he seems to flip-flop. Hew as anti-AMD a few months before. I think he's just being over the top as an interesting marketing tactic. Keeps people talking about his site outside it's walls, and makes his regulars feel like they're at a crusader-for-the-people's Hall of Justice while they're visiting.

And yes. GSYNC has advantages FreeSync doesn't enjoy. Especially the fact that FreeSync has a VRR range that doesn't always cover the entire refresh rate range of the monitor.

Average consumer isn't really going to care however, as is apparent here.

38. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 11:41 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 09:24:
Why would anyone buy a monitor now/soon rather than wait for HDMI 2.1 and VRR to become available? (Serious question.)

I'll answer this from my personal perspective. At my age, I am no longer a "hardcore" gamer. First, that kind of juvenile thinking is petty bullshit and, second, because I have a job, a family, and a life which precludes me from sitting on my ass 8+ hours a day playing games.

So, for me, what matters is "do the games I play on this monitor look good enough and meet my expectations without costing as much as my CPU or GPU?" For that a monitor at 120hz at 1080p is absolutely perfect. What am I going to gain from Stellaris, Rimworld, Sniper Elite 4, AC: Odyssey, etc from an additional 24hz? They're already smooth and lag free and look good enough to me. The answer is "I won't."

I think tech has had a long term problem with FOMO. While numbers are objective, enjoyment is subjective. If you're enjoying yourself in your entertainment pasttimes, the numbers are meaningless.

37. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 8, 2019, 10:38 Kain

G-Sync was nice because it was a consistent spec that could be relied on. Freesync monitors are a hodgepodge of varying supported framerate ranges and inconsistent features. Earlier on G-Sync was the superior implementation as well, Freesync had many teething issues.

The downside to G-Sync was just the fact that it was an FPGA instead of an ASIC. Those things cost hundreds in bulk and no one was going to pay that tax forever.

Nvidia made a smart play here, they saw Intel coming to the table and got off their ass early instead of being caught too late down the road.

Why would anyone buy a monitor now/soon rather than wait for HDMI 2.1 and VRR to become available? (Serious question.)

Could be a long wait. If you need something now why wait? Always something better around the corner.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2019, 11:06.

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 09:24 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 04:35:
People who care about image quality might want to keep an eye on this puppy though. Could be really good.

35. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 8, 2019, 06:56 Beamer

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 22:48:
What I said is that G-Sync is superior and it's true. Every true PCMR gaming enthusiast runs nVidia G-Sync.

Hear that, guys? If you run AMD you're not a real PC gamer.

Dude, your gatekeeping just gets stranger and stranger.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 05:10 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 04:45:
They don't make high-rez high-refresh VA panels, so that's a non-starter.

It has far superior quality to TN. TN has improved (as have IPS and VA) but it doesn't hold a candle to IPS/PLS or VA and never will due to its inherent limitations. It may be great for competitive gaming or for people on a super-tight budget but otherwise it's plain garbage.

33. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 04:45 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 04:35:
Slick wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 02:35:
I'm just going to post for the third time about 1440p 240hz displays coming.

Since those will most likely be TN panels who gives a shit except extreme competitive multiplayer "pro gamer" peeps who play at low settings anyway?

Right. No one with an ounce of taste or only a remote interest in image quality gives a flying fuck about shitty TN panels, no matter how high the Hertz. They could have 960 Hertz and would still be low end eye sore garbage.

People who care about image quality might want to keep an eye on this puppy though. Could be really good.

wrong.

All the high-rez fast refresh panels I think come from AU Optronics anyways, and the best you can get is IPS. High-refresh IPS isn't amazing, I know because I'm typing this on one right now. That and the TN technology has gotten a lot better from the "laptop screen" variety of yesteryear.

They don't make high-rez high-refresh VA panels, so that's a non-starter. a good TN looks great, check out a recent one at a store, they're pretty indistinguishable from IPS at least. And viewing angles don't matter, it's a computer monitor, unless you're sharing the gaming experience with other people in the room? Not likely.

The only caveat to this would be the newly announced 4k 120hz OLED. But barely counts as high-refresh, and there doesn't seem to be any manufacturing process to pump out 27" OLEDs anytime soon, they JUST got the first 15" OLED laptop announced a few days ago.

TL:DR If you care about input lag, response time, lack of ghosting, high resolution, and high refresh (you know, if you're a PC gamer), then you have TN or IPS to choose from, and these days there's not much difference. (My IPS "won" the panel lottery, and it still has very high blacks, very uneven uniformity compared to VA or OLED.

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 04:35 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 02:35:
I'm just going to post for the third time about 1440p 240hz displays coming.

Since those will most likely be TN panels who gives a shit except extreme competitive multiplayer "pro gamer" peeps who play at low settings anyway?

Right. No one with an ounce of taste or only a remote interest in image quality gives a flying fuck about shitty TN panels, no matter how high the Hertz. They could have 960 Hertz and would still be low end eye sore garbage.

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 02:35 Slick

I'm just going to post for the third time about 1440p 240hz displays coming. This should be the only thing anyone in the thread is talking about. GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT YOU ****S.  

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2019, 23:34 Mordecai Walfish

specs matter. for many people input latency matters. the conclusion has long been in about the superiority of g-sync to different options, yet we're arguing about it here in 2019.

If I can get any closer to CRT level smoothness with my display, i tend to head in that direction. that includes ultra-low persistence strobing modes (currently) and as minimal an input lag as possible.

For people that are still looking for the "holy grail" of displays, that can return to that level of motion clarity and response along with a crisp and beautiful 1080p+ display.. thats what I have waited for a long while. G-sync's capability is closer to this than any other offering, and it (i thought..) is well known.

Either way, we're getting close and it's exciting =) VR displays benefit greatly from all of these things as well. It really shouldn't be a point of contention or pepsi challenge of any kind.. its just facts.

29. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 7, 2019, 22:48 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 22:20:
I'm sorry you can't grasp that a large portion of the gaming populace can't tell the difference between an expensive solution and a free one. But for fucks sake, get a clue.

Oh, I'm quite aware of that and I never said that FreeSync is garbage. What I said is that G-Sync is superior and it's true. Every true PCMR gaming enthusiast runs nVidia G-Sync. No doubt about it. It's the better tech for when you want the best of the best. La crème de la crème. Los awesomos saucos. Gelee royale. Hardware pussy juices. Capisce, bro?!

As for the "large portion of the gaming populace", yeah, thank you very much... it is painful enough having to look at the Steam top 10 every week.

Of course you have to be not a peasant but a true PCMR gaming connoisseur to "get" G-Sync and its advantages, i.e. high end nVidia GPU and high refresh quality G-Sync display.

It is plain wrong to say that G-Sync was always only proprietary and did not add anything of value. It did. Not a night & day difference (I never said that) but it is superior in several ways, namely sync range and lag. Those are facts.

You have more flexibility in the fps you want to achieve thanks to the better sync range and you also have measurable lower input lag as much as down to near zero as evidenced by the TFT Central review of the LG display I linked to.

Whether this additional value is/was worth the price of admission is/was up to anyone to decide on an individual basis but let's stick to the facts instead of pretending that it is/was all the same between FreeSync and G-Sync when that really wasn't ever the case.

28. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 7, 2019, 22:20 RedEye9

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 20:39:

Intel often comes across as a gargantuan soulless company, and on many fronts it has earned that reputation.

Poorly veiled insults right in the first paragraph. Does that read like objective journalism that only tries to inform? To you as an AMD fanboi probably yes. To the rest of the world not so much.
OMG sweety, did someone say sumthin about about the big o iNtel, or do you own stock in the company. And where to you get off calling me an AMD fanboy, for fucks sake get a grip. Do you actually believe half the shit you spew.
Most of your posts look like an angry 13 yo wrote them, the other half a semi-literate adult. You just never know which one is gonna respond.
I'm sorry you can't grasp that a large portion of the gaming populace can't tell the difference between an expensive solution and a free one. But for fucks sake, get a clue.

27. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 7, 2019, 20:48 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 20:37:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 20:23:

Source
Source
Source

None of those are double blind scientific tests, they're opinion pieces... Rolleyes

The only provided source in this discussion to a semblance of a scientific test ( single blind ) proves that gamers can't tell the difference if they don't know which is what. And THAT is what really counts, the end user experience. NOT opinion.

You have strong opinions CJ, but it's really all you have...

Well, I provided many sources in the meantime with charts based on scientific measuring equipment, research, analysis, you name it.

I have provided numerous sources written by professional hardware pundits who have come to the widespread and commonly known conclusion that G-Sync is the superior sync tech.

You AMD fanbois have ONE HardOCP "blind test" that could have very easily been staged from A to Z.

I win.

26. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 7, 2019, 20:39 CJ_Parker

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 16:54:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 16:35:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 15:55:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 15:32:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 13:29:
Hardocp did a blind Freesync vs G-Sync taste test.

tldr
Even though the G-Sync system was considerably more expensive than the FreeSync system, AMD held its own and actually pulled ahead with our gamers.

They can shove their lie of a "blind test" up their ...
CJ, sometimes you are a clueless twit. Welcome to one of those times.

Nope. Just stating the facts.
Last time I checked people don't game in a laboratory hooked up to an ocilloscope measuring picoseconds. I'm willing to bet over half the people here couldn't tell the difference, just like what hardocp's real world test proved. Just stating facts.
Still waiting on those sources proving bias, I gather it will be a cold day in hell before you find what does not exist. Wink

Conjecture is cute but I provided facts instead of "bets" and one more time that test wasn't a test but HardOCP trying to promote AMD as usual.

I also don't have to provide sources for the obvious. It's like asking for proof that Trump is dumb or that he is not a liberal hippie. You don't need to prove the obvious.

Anyone who reads HardOCP news and articles knows exactly that they have a major anti-Intel/anti-nVidia and pro-AMD agenda. They are fantards. Plain and simple.

What's next? You gonna ask for proof that the official Xbox magazine is Xbox biased instead of Playstation? Bruuuuhhh???

Look, first article after less than 30 seconds of "searching" from that no. 1 AMD fanboi Kyle yields this...

Intel often comes across as a gargantuan soulless company, and on many fronts it has earned that reputation.

Poorly veiled insults right in the first paragraph. Does that read like objective journalism that only tries to inform? To you as an AMD fanboi probably yes. To the rest of the world not so much.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo