Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue and I are off to the doctor to give blood in advance of our annual checkups. The timing of this helps illustrate how overworked the medical system is, as we used to go in November and because of that burden, make our next appointments a year in advance. Even with that, availability is so touchy our visits progressed through December and are now into January. I wonder if we'll be able to get new appointments before next February? Either way, all of this became less of a hardship once my doctor told me the fasting they require before these tests does not require that I skip my morning coffee, so I can roll with about any other aspect of this that comes up.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Gears.
Stories: Snubs, surprises and a Satanic shout-out? Key Globes moments.
Science: I lost 13 stone – now I know the truth about obesity. Thanks JDreyer.
Media: The Soft Lies Advertisers Are Legally Allowed To Tell You.
"Watchmen," "Thrones" Clips In HBO 2019 Trailer.
Follow-up: Daniel Craig and Idris Elba spark Bond rumors.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2019, 16:48 Ant

I will have to do mine too soon, Blue. It will be done at 7:30 AM PST with the heavy rain! also, my doctor is retiring. Dang it!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2019, 10:18 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 18:34:
Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 16:03:
We all help people...

Except you don't. Your posts have always been, literally, over the years surmisable as such:

"If it doesn't directly benefit me with no cost whatsoever...fuck 'em."

So, no, I don't believe you help people by so much as changing lanes if someone wanted to pass you.
And that would include changing lanes for an ambulance blaring its siren with all the lights flashing.
BoP, you nailed it.

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 18:34 Burrito of Peace

We all help people...

Except you don't. Your posts have always been, literally, over the years surmisable as such:

"If doesn't directly benefit me with no cost whatsoever...fuck 'em."

So, no, I don't believe you help people by so much as changing lanes if someone wanted to pass you.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 12:06 Acleacius

Retired wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 10:18:
Every game on gamesrepublic is .14 cents....I think something is wrong.....
Looks like the site was knocked off or taken off the net, can't seem to reach it. Guess everyone wants .14 cent games.

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 10:28 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 09:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 16:23:
More on CMV (Cytomegalovirus a flu-like virus), I'd never heard of it. Mr Tact, thanks for helping part of the human race while you could. You selfless bastard.
Yeah, I was severely bummed out when I lost my CMV neg. status. The staff were seemingly very happy to see me each time -- made me fee8l special. Oh well, good times can't last forever.
No wonder they were Happy to see you. Whoever poked a CMV donor won a $25 gift certificate to Bed Bath and Beyond and was automatically placed in the drawing for the monthly $500 cash "blood suckers" bonus.

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 10:18 Retired

Every game on gamesrepublic is .14 cents....I think something is wrong.....  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 09:38 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 16:23:
More on CMV (Cytomegalovirus a flu-like virus), I'd never heard of it. Mr Tact, thanks for helping part of the human race while you could. You selfless bastard.
Yeah, I was severely bummed out when I lost my CMV neg. status. The staff were seemingly very happy to see me each time -- made me feel special. Oh well, good times can't last forever.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 09:19 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 21:45:
Dammit Tact, you should have sold that shit. $1000 per liter. Dying people will pay anything and you had a chance to take em over the coals. Worked for Martin Shkreli. Missed a golden opportunity.
Haha, yeah. That would have probably ruined the positive karma though...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 07:00 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 21:42:
We all help people in all kinds of ways so don't give me that holier than thous bullshit. Fact is, it's an INDUSTRY with a lot of money involved in it, so why shouldn't you get your cut? Everyone else is. Is it ethical for doctors and hospitals to charge literal fortunes for helping people? People need food to live and you mean people charge for it? How fucking evil! People need clothes and housing to survive and you have to pay for them?!?!?!

Take the that tree-hugging, pot-smoking, otter-scrubbing, hippy liberal bullshit and shove it. I love that sort of hypocrisy where some of these things are fine but not others. Fuck that noise. Either everything is sacred or nothing is.

You should have a beer with Martin Shkreli. You guys would have a lot to talk about.

This from the same guy that calls it immoral and evil fir a company to sell a product for one price to people averaging $50k per year and another price to a country averaging $500 per year.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 04:08 Dacron

• Graham wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 17:12:
    Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 16:27:
    On the other hand, as Cutter points out, it's not like if you go to the hospital and need blood that you are going to get it for free.

Almost every non-American reading this is thinking "...actually, yes I will."

I had my tonsils out last year - which, at an age that is typically considered advanced for that procedure, was risky as fuck.

And sure enough, I nearly bled out twice during recovery.

Know how much the whole procedure cost me, including two trips to the ER after?

Less than $100, including medication - and most of that was the ambulance ride.

Your for-profit system is absolute madness.

I have a 3 page receipt for the 36 units of blood, plasma, and platelets they pumped into me.

$0 cost. My $36k helicopter bill turned into a $80 deductible. 6 weeks in hospital my only bill was the optional bedside cable TV I bought ($30/week?).

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2019, 03:10 jdreyer

Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but still fcking awesome.

UFC's Polyana Viana says mugging ended in predictable and bloody fashion

Victim pic.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2019, 23:48 Mordecai Walfish

the typical plasma donation "clinic" that pays in the US will give a person who walks in around $20 for ~1 liter of plasma, and then sells that same product for close to $1000.

I would call the morality of a faceless company profiting nearly 5000% on someone's life blood and potential hardships that could make them need that little bit of extra money questionable.

It would be interesting to know how much the same product would cost internally at a canadian hospital. My guess is no more than $400.. and potentially only that high because they have to import a good %

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 22:23 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 21:42:
    You should have a beer with Martin Shkreli. You guys would have a lot to talk about.
    That's fucking cold. I like it. he heh

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 21:45 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 16:13:
    I am also O negative and I donate on a semi-regular basis. I used to go every eight weeks because my local blood bank was basically asking me to. Not only was my blood O negative, but I was also CMV negative. Meaning I had never been exposed to CMV and hence did not have the anti-bodies in my blood.

This is sought out for immune compromised people. The blood bank personnel called it "baby blood" because this special combination is often used for premature babies apparently. But about two years ago, I was exposed to CMV at some point. It had zero effect on me. Gave blood and it was CMV neg, eight weeks later I gave again and it wasn't. I hadn't even so much as had a mild cold in the eight weeks.

Dammit Tact, you should have sold that shit. $1000 per liter. Dying people will pay anything and you had a chance to take em over the coals. Worked for Martin Shkreli. Missed a golden opportunity.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 21:42 jdreyer

We all help people in all kinds of ways so don't give me that holier than thous bullshit. Fact is, it's an INDUSTRY with a lot of money involved in it, so why shouldn't you get your cut? Everyone else is. Is it ethical for doctors and hospitals to charge literal fortunes for helping people? People need food to live and you mean people charge for it? How fucking evil! People need clothes and housing to survive and you have to pay for them?!?!?!

Take the that tree-hugging, pot-smoking, otter-scrubbing, hippy liberal bullshit and shove it. I love that sort of hypocrisy where some of these things are fine but not others. Fuck that noise. Either everything is sacred or nothing is.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 20:25 Mr. Tact

For $2000+ per, I'd probably go back to giving blood every 8 weeks...

Yep...
    RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 17:44:
    We know. Tears Cry Crying

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 19:27 Acleacius

It looked like Blood Banks sell O negative to hospitals for a minimum of $300 in the US. It looks like China pays up to $2900, not sure if that's a USD conversion. Haha, looks like I better call my local Chinese Embassy!  

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 17:44 RedEye9

Graham wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 17:12:
    On the other hand, as Cutter points out, it's not like if you go to the hospital and need blood that you are going to get it for free.

I had my tonsils out last year - which, at an age that is typically considered advanced for that procedure, was risky as fuck.

We know. Tears Cry Crying

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 17:12 Graham

Blue-y bought a bit of Cutter, but he said this Cutter's bitter. If I put it in my comments it will make my comments bitter. So he bought some better comments to ignore the bitter Cutter. It didn't make Cutter better but they made the forum glitter.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 16:27 Mr. Tact

I have mixed feelings on the subject of payment for donations. On the one hand it would seemingly encourage unsavory people, like drug users, to do it which could/would cause problems. On the other hand, as Cutter points out, it's not like if you go to the hospital and need blood that you are going to get it for free. The local blood bank here is run by the American Red Cross, who I know has executives that make more money than I ever did. So yeah... for me it is hard to know how to settle all the pros and cons.

For me personally, it comes down to getting some karma credit. It is 40 minutes out of my day to help someone without direct benefit to me. I'm an atheist, if I'm wrong maybe it will help...

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo