Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video

IGN offers a new video from Anthem, showing off alpha gameplay from BioWare's upcoming mech action/RPG (thanks DSOGaming). The clip runs for almost 15 minutes and features a lot of exposition from the game's version of J.A.R.V.I.S. Word is: "The entire Lost Arcanist mission from start to finish with a three man team of the Interceptor, Storm, and Colossus javelins."

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 6, 2019, 06:26 thestryker

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 00:30:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 12:33:
Actually play looks fun it will come down to content and how liberal they are with loot. That to me is now the bottom line with this style of game.

On the right side after the mission you could see some things
1) loot is not shared but per player
2) they got 3 "common" loot drops from that entire mission
3) enemies don't drop loot, ever, it's 100% mission based
4) missions are apparently picked ahead of an "excursion" and it doesn't seem like free-roam is even an option if you want loot?

Overall, it looks exactly like any grind fest before it. Pick mission, tackle it, get loot. Repeat infinitely.

In the thing that cannot be talked about free roam had rewards at the end. I'm not sure if you get rewards from killing enemies alone or if you have to be doing their version of world events, but stuff had dropped every time coming back.

This game seems like it has potential, but more clarity on gear acquisition would be nice. Last month they did a long stream that talked about gear stats, combos and status mechanics, but nothing on where you're going to get these things.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Game Reviews Jan 6, 2019, 05:18 peteham

Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 00:43:

Oh fuck me. That's literally the worst possible design for a fucking loot shooter.

It's like they had all these great ideas, then went "How can we implement these in the worst possible way so it just becomes a giant, grindy suckfest?"
At a guess, proper itemization isn't in yet so it's probably placeholder stuff.

Honesly though, I personally prefer enemies not dropping loot and instead getting everything as mission rewards/chests or from loot pinata boss monsters. I hate general corpse looting with a passion and hope it vanishes from games entirely Nothing more tedious to me than walking up to 50000000 corpses over the course of a game and pressing "E" (or worse, in the world of consolized interfaces: HOLDING "E"). One thing Destiny actually managed to get right was letting you run over loot Mario-style without having to pause your killing spree; even mailing you missed loot after the mission. Also hope they keep the level of trash loot (with no other purpose than being dismantled or sold) at a minimum. Just drop cash or materials to begin with please, I prefer not initiating/ending my gameplay sessions with two hours parked in front of a vendor or stash.. This part, Destiny most definitely got WRONG as 99.9% of drops were useless trash and you didn't even stop to look at drops most of the times with their shitty milestone progression system (basically, in-world drops cannot be upgrades).

It may also be different for "missions" like this and just free roaming, if the game has that, I suppose.. I haven't really been following it too closely and I'm with the seemingly large crowd that thinks it looks rather "meh".

It would surprise me greatly if a game like this, featuring flying, wasn't crammed with plenty of collectible knick knacks hidden in corners, for players to walk/fly up to and hold E, though.. Gotta use that traversal for something.

25. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 6, 2019, 01:01 HorrorScope

Oh fuck me. That's literally the worst possible design for a fucking loot shooter.

It's like they had all these great ideas, then went "How can we implement these in the worst possible way so it just becomes a giant, grindy suckfest?"

So why does camera angle constitute massive loot drops vs stingy loot drops? Online ARPG vs Online Loot Shooters. We need a killer loot shooter that has tons of build possibilities with liberal loot drops, crafting, socketing etc. at least for the PvE content. On top of that lots of content, mission/story content etc and tiered difficulty + 3 difficulty levels like the Division, so we can all find our challenge place. It seems from a PvE POV that is what is needed to take these games to the next level. Basically a Borderlands in this model of onlineliness.

24. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 6, 2019, 00:54 HorrorScope

Actually play looks fun it will come down to content and how liberal they are with loot. That to me is now the bottom line with this style of game.

4) missions are apparently picked ahead of an "excursion" and it doesn't seem like free-roam is even an option if you want loot?

Overall, it looks exactly like any grind fest before it. Pick mission, tackle it, get loot. Repeat infinitely.

Yeah that's going to be a losing formula, too tight, too tight. Destiny 2 all over again?

23. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 6, 2019, 00:52 eRe4s3r

It's at 14:35~ if you want to look yourself

22. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 6, 2019, 00:43 Creston

21. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 6, 2019, 00:42 Creston

Sempai wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 15:43:
you're not alone lol. Jesus that game is such a slog right now. The mechanics are so bad..but the world is just utterly stunning, must keep playing..and then reloading after i accidentally tackle the next poor mfer walking in the street to go towards my imminent $800 bounty lol.

Tell me about it. Riding your horse through St Denis is just fucking RAGE inducing. You barely brush some asshole with your horse, and boom, here come the cops, guns-blazing and you've got a $100 bounty on your ass. FUUUUUU.....

20. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 6, 2019, 00:30 eRe4s3r

19. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2019, 15:43 Sempai

Creston wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 13:10:
Blackhawk wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 10:50:
Third person shooters push the character further and further to the side of the screen every year. By 2022 games will require a second monitor just to show you the character model.

Haha, I didn't even notice that, but yeah, it is pretty dang far to the side. I'm not sure that I mind it, though. Third person shooter where the camera is right behind you means you can never see where you're going (aka the RDR2 On Your Horse syndrome. The amount of times I crash into shit because it was literally hidden behind Arthur's lumpen frame must be reaching triple digits now) so I think this is a pretty decent trade-off.

you're not alone lol. Jesus that game is such a slog right now. The mechanics are so bad..but the world is just utterly stunning, must keep playing..and then reloading after i accidentally tackle the next poor mfer walking in the street to go towards my imminent $800 bounty lol.

18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2019, 13:10 Creston

Third person shooters push the character further and further to the side of the screen every year. By 2022 games will require a second monitor just to show you the character model.

Haha, I didn't even notice that, but yeah, it is pretty dang far to the side. I'm not sure that I mind it, though. Third person shooter where the camera is right behind you means you can never see where you're going (aka the RDR2 On Your Horse syndrome. The amount of times I crash into shit because it was literally hidden behind Arthur's lumpen frame must be reaching triple digits now) so I think this is a pretty decent trade-off.

17. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 5, 2019, 12:33 HorrorScope

16. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 5, 2019, 11:42 Xero

I don't know why, but I got major Tribes 2 vibes from some of that, lol.  

Primarily playing ATM: CS Go, DUSK, FarCry 5, Warhammer 2

15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2019, 11:19 El Pit

It made me scream "Who's that? GET OUT OF THE WAY!" before I understood that this was actually the player... Third person perspective for shooters is an epic fail but go and tell this the console kids.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2019, 10:50 JTW

13. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 5, 2019, 09:46 Avus

My gaming computer doesn't have Origin install for years... This game need to press many right buttons for me to reinstall Origin.  

I am not a Mac user unless under duress. - John Carmack

12. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 5, 2019, 06:50 VaranDragon

Looks like a typical console button masher with aim assist and all that jazz. Basically you're this almost immortal armored soldier dude with flashy lazers coming out your eyes, and lightning bolts shooting out of your asshole "flying" down a linear tunnel from one pretty location, turning everything there into slag by bashing down on one or two console buttons, then flying down a linear tunnel to another pretty location where you get to do the same, all the while listening to horrible voice actors trying to convince you that this incredibly flashy and nonsensical shit they are telling you actually means something.

If anyone thinks this game is anything more than this continuous loop I've described above, you've once again fallen for Bioware's hype machine.

There does "seem" to be a bit of skill involved, than in that horrible, horrible game called Andromeda, since you can move vertically and arent limited to just button mashing behind cover every single time, but that could also just as well take very little skill too, if all you need to do is just bash another button to evade this while shooting that.

11. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 5, 2019, 02:16 jdreyer

Nate wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 01:40:
All of the gameplay I've seen makes the game look unchallenging. No one even comes close to being in trouble.

There was that time a few months ago where they showed game play of a couple of javelins running into a huge colossus. They admitted he was too strong, and flew right by it.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

10. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 5, 2019, 01:40 Nate

All of the gameplay I've seen makes the game look unchallenging. No one even comes close to being in trouble.  

9. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 5, 2019, 01:16 Sempai

it's beginning to look like an actual game now. I'm quite impressed actually. Bad frame-hitching aside(you're gonna need a monster pc to run this unoptimized turd) the 3rd person shooting looks solid and the flying mechanics look fantastic. It's gonna be a mess at release but this is definitely on my watch list.

8. Re: Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video Jan 5, 2019, 00:17 Red886

it's Hellgate; Anthem

you know the hype is bad when even youtube comments are overwhelmingly negative

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo