Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

On ATLAS' Launch

A post on Steam offers a captain's log for ATLAS, the just-released pirate-themed MMOG (thanks PC Gamer). The game suffered some delays before it came out, but the launch still experienced some issues, so they offer some patch notes on their latest client and server fixes, along with some apologies for the choppy waters players have had to navigate so far. Here's word:
You could say that we were off to a stormy start! The initial influx of players wanting to set sail immediately was (predictably in hindsight) larger than we anticipated and our systems got crushed until we tuned the new technical systems to handle it. We have been incredibly humbled and excited by the number of seafaring Pathfinders wanting to dive into the ATLAS. Since the launch, the team has heavily prioritised connection and capacity resolutions, server and client-side performance updates, server and client-side crash fixes as well as tackling general gameplay bugs and balance concerns.

We’re going to continue to iterate at a very rapid rate, you can generally expect daily deployments and updates to both servers and clients, and sometimes even multiple if we feel like a change is significant enough to warrant it. We truly appreciate everyone’s patience and support during this launch period and we intend to show our gratitude through frequent updates that resolve the issues which matter to you and improve ATLAS in both the near-term and over the long term.

ATLAS is a very ambitious project and we recognize that there is much work to be done as it begins its Early Access journey, but as we said before, we’re hardened adventurers and we’re looking forward to the fun and challenges that we’ll experience alongside you!

We want to make it very clear to you that these rapid updates and the continuous upwards progression will continue with ATLAS. We have deployed a new server version to our Official Network (v7.104) which has resolved many server crashes and is already showing significant improvement in server stability; however, there is still more to come! Our number one priority at the moment is tackling the stability, connection, and data issues, and we will make significant progress over the coming days ahead.
View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 30, 2018, 14:31 jdreyer

Drath71 wrote on Dec 30, 2018, 12:35:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2018, 16:03:
El Pit wrote on Dec 29, 2018, 15:48:
Don't be hasty! A few years in early access should help... AFTER the release of a lot of dlc people can buy, of course. Bugfixing should always be done after you have made money, right?

Why bother fixing the bugs at all. YOU'VE ALREADY GOT THE MONEY. On to the next game!

The standard for what qualifies as a release for games now is just dropping and dropping. I purchased X4, and was shocked at how incomplete it was. At full price.

Thing is that everyone knows this is how Egosoft operates. They've been releasing games half finished for a couple of decades now. They've been running "early access" before the term was even coined.

That said, they stick with their games and complete them. A year or two after release you have a good solid game. Not sure you can say that about these guys.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: On ATLAS' Launch Dec 30, 2018, 13:13 HorrorScope

Don't be hasty! A few years in early access should help... AFTER the release of a lot of dlc people can buy, of course. Bugfixing should always be done after you have made money, right?

I dunno, there seems to be many thousands that don't simply agree with that. It's games so it's like a 2 on the important things in life meter.

11. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 30, 2018, 12:35 Drath71

Why bother fixing the bugs at all. YOU'VE ALREADY GOT THE MONEY. On to the next game!

The standard for what qualifies as a release for games now is just dropping and dropping. I purchased X4, and was shocked at how incomplete it was. At full price.

10. Re: We Happy Few Delay; Refunds Dec 30, 2018, 08:49 Caladell

I thought This video was pretty amusing.  

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 30, 2018, 04:17 Mordecai Walfish

If they ever would have made their previous game not run and feel like absolute dogshit, I may have given this a chance. From the looks of the videos being posted this looks like the same shit, different pile.  

8. Re: On ATLAS' Launch Dec 30, 2018, 01:23 Ozmodan

For a survival game is it is rather primitive. The UI is paultry and the combat sad. I might come back to it if it is around for a year. I would not recommend wasting money on it, there are better survival games out there if that is your thing.  

7. Re: On ATLAS' Launch Dec 29, 2018, 21:14 Agent.X7

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 29, 2018, 13:30:
No word on how the in-game trailers looks to actual gameplay, they look like two different games.

That was my issue with it. Had they made it known it was like Conan: Exiles I would never have been interested. Survival lite, like Fallout 76 I can handle. Heavier survival games are too much like work. I have no interest in building things from scratch in games, I do it in real life.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

6. Re: Morning Patches Dec 29, 2018, 16:55 TheBigVlad

They'll keep a skeleton crew working on tiny updates here and there just so they can say 'Hey look, we're still updating the game! We're still in Early Access so go easy on us!'.

5. Re: On ATLAS' Launch Dec 29, 2018, 16:03 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

4. Re: On ATLAS' Launch Dec 29, 2018, 15:48 El Pit

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

3. Re: On ATLAS' Launch Dec 29, 2018, 14:49 [SC]TherMight

Kxmode wrote on Dec 29, 2018, 14:13:
No word on the reused assets and the conclusion many are thinking that Atlas was originally planned to be a pirate themed DLC for Ark.

Even building it upon ARK in part, there is still an increasingly divergent codebase for all the multiplayer code.

It seems obvious to me that if they had kept within ark's codebase they would not have had flexibility to massively scale and make great improvement in the rpg knobs

Disclaimer. Not a survival game fan but I know a clan who im playong atlas with. And that is the big carrot for me. New game. New multiplayer emmergent gameolay and teamwork. Its been an adjustment not to get myself killed in 2 minutes

2. Re: On ATLAS' Launch Dec 29, 2018, 14:13 Kxmode

No word on the reused assets and the conclusion many are thinking that Atlas was originally planned to be a pirate themed DLC for Ark.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

1. Re: On ATLAS' Launch Dec 29, 2018, 13:30 HorrorScope

No word on how the in-game trailers looks to actual gameplay, they look like two different games.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >