Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet

An article on the official website for Beyond Good and Evil 2 takes the form of a FAQ to get us up to speed on where development stands (thanks DSOGaming). The article also has a link to Space Monkey Report #4, a semi-recent livestream discussing progress on the sci-fi action/adventure sequel. Ubisoft says they are not ready to set a release date, but they answer several questions about gameplay details. They also respond to a question about whether an internet connection is required for solo play, saying the game will have single-player support, but also confirming players will still have to be online to play:

Will we always need an internet connection even if we're playing BGE2 solo? (o_gilgamesh, Twitter)
Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an online, multiplayer game with a rich co-op and seamless experience. As such, the game will only be playable with an internet connection in order to have seamless navigation, receive dynamic updates, and play with friends (which is certainly better when you're playing as a Space Pirate!). The choice to play co-op, however, remains yours to make, so playing BGE2 solo is absolutely possible if you're into that lone Space Pirate kinda thing...

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 24, 2018, 04:37 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 15:19:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 14:26:
Even though Frontier promised an offline version, they later reneged.
That is quite possibly the first ever documented case of a developer going back on their word. I am bookmarking this and will update if I am found to be in error. Wink

I wasn't commenting on them going back on their word. Just that a single player game that forces the player online is nearly impossible to hack and crack into playing offline. Mordecai expects GaE2 to be cracked into offline mode; I am pretty sure that will never happen.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 23, 2018, 15:19 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 14:26:
Even though Frontier promised an offline version, they later reneged.
That is quite possibly the first ever documented case of a developer going back on their word. I am bookmarking this and will update if I am found to be in error. Wink
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 15:19:
The only way out of monitezation at this point is via laws.
That's never gonna happen.

The only way out of monitezation at this point is if people close their wallets.

oh wait
Thats never gonna happen either.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2018, 15:33.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

38. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 15:19 HorrorScope

I see enough comments about online only means monitization. Well that's a choice we all get to make. I've been playing these games all along and it is extremely rare for me to buy anything nor have I felt the game really did it's best to force me. The games being made are plenty easy without. So like any game, I'll wait for release, wait for reviews, wait for patches and wait for a price reduction if the game is known to be good. Then I will purchase and play it, enjoy it and really have no hindrance with online/monitization.

The only way out of monitezation at this point is via laws.

37. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 23, 2018, 14:26 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 11:37:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 07:00:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 05:13:
sad that the only people who will be playing this without that shitty always-on requirement, will be the people who pirate the game.

have they not learned anything?

It remains to be seen if the game can be cracked to be played offline.

Even Anno 2070 can be played "offline" the quest is how much of the game you get locked out of if you do.

Elite Dangerous single player is online only. There's no way to play it offline since the game was designed with some server-side logic and assets. Even though Frontier promised an offline version, they later reneged.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

36. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 12:57 CJ_Parker

Dacron wrote on Dec 22, 2018, 19:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 22, 2018, 18:49:
Hmmm... I seem to sense bits of dissatisfaction in here. I think you all need to relax a little more and find back your inner equilibrium.

That's fucking rich.

Noooo, seriously, duuuuuude... all this negativity... all this senseless verbal violence... what gives? Can't we all just get along and hold hands with Ubishit??

35. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 12:28 El Pit

WHAT NEXT? They will sell games as web downloads instead of delivering them on floppy disks? WE NEED TO STOP THIS MADNESS!!!!!!  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

34. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 23, 2018, 11:37 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 07:00:
sad that the only people who will be playing this without that shitty always-on requirement, will be the people who pirate the game.

Even Anno 2070 can be played "offline" the quest is how much of the game you get locked out of if you do.

33. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 08:36 Overon

Quinn wrote on Dec 22, 2018, 20:01:
Always buys the games he plays. Check.

PC always connected to the internet. Check.

I am genuinely wondering what the passes are about? Is it the fear that once the servers go flat, you lose the product you bought? Or is it that you are hardly ever connected to the internet? Both cases would be valid to complain, but I myself still only just care about whether the game will be good in the end (as an SP experience) or not...
It's a red flag to have an online always game which is a sequel to a game where this was not the case. The red flag is also because we have seen countless games have online always requirement and that is always a result of microstransaction and monetization schemes many of us object to.

32. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 07:04 Suppa7

I am genuinely wondering what the passes are about? Is it the fear that once the servers go flat, you lose the product you bought? Or is it that you are hardly ever connected to the internet? Both cases would be valid to complain, but I myself still only just care about whether the game will be good in the end (as an SP experience) or not...

Man you must be an idiot, because they ruin the game because they will put all sorts of paywalls and barriers inside the fucking game. We saw that with Diablo 3 with the auction house where they inserted monetization.

Go get noxplayer bignox.com load up a bunch of single player RPG games like Final fantasy brave exvious, that's what they want to do to single player games. They want to turn games into TV for kids where they can extract infinite mtx money and lock everything down.

They are basically ruining the fun by getting people inside the game and then forcing the psychologically weak minded to pony up. They already did this with overwatch, even though you paid $40 for the game they force you to grind the content.

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 23, 2018, 07:00 jdreyer

30. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 06:58 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 04:32:
intermarer wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 03:45:
I get the knee jerk reaction to always online, but c'mon, aren't you always online anyways? I mean, what, you have dial up in 2018?

"dO YoU gUyS nOt hAvE pHoNeS?!" Just because we're online doesn't mean we want our single player games to be always online.
#dealwithit

29. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 06:29 Jonjonz

So the suits at Ubi have been watching the fiascos of the last few years like Fallout 76, and before that SW Battlegrounds, and must have thought, we can side step all of that consumer push back, if we just put the best PR droids on the case long before roll out.

The only reason to make any game require internet is micro-transactions. Meanwhile, "multiplayer" is PR speak for pay to win.

Welcome to yet another "game" that is essentially a themed lobby for either pay to win and/or gambling.

Not even remotely interested now.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 23, 2018, 05:13 Mordecai Walfish

27. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 04:43 Pr()ZaC

Forget about the name, people.
This is no BGaE, it's a travesty and it won't sell well.
Who played the original BGaE will not recognize it as a sequel and I'm sure most of them won't buy it anyway. I'm one of them. Pass X 4.
Hope a crack will come so you can play it offline like you want to.

26. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 04:32 Kxmode

intermarer wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 03:45:
I get the knee jerk reaction to always online, but c'mon, aren't you always online anyways? I mean, what, you have dial up in 2018?

"dO YoU gUyS nOt hAvE pHoNeS?!" Just because we're online doesn't mean we want our single player games to be always online.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

25. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 03:45 intermarer

24. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 01:03 Red886

sad as making it multiplayer from the start means MUCH less narrative leeway for a good SP game.

say goodbye to tight and dramatically constructed set pieces.

another franchise ruined....sigh.

and putting a expiry date on games? a game execs wet dream comes true

23. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 23, 2018, 01:01 Kxmode

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an online, multiplayer game with a rich co-op and seamless experience. As such, the game will only be playable with an internet connection in order to have seamless navigation, receive dynamic updates, and play with friends (which is certainly better when you're playing as a Space Pirate!).

Wrong! It is online for microtransactions as most single-player games are. There is literally no other reason but MTX for it to be always online.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2018, 04:30.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 22, 2018, 21:43 jdreyer

On the one hand, it's the principle of it. Requiring SP games to be online serves no purpose other than to suck player data and advertise to them.

On the other hand, a game designed to be online multiplayer from scratch could be hard to adapt to offline SP mode. It could be that it would be expensive and time consuming to do so, and easier to simply instantiate a multiplayer instance with just a single player. This is what happened with Elite: Dangerous.

21. Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Solo Play Requires Internet Dec 22, 2018, 21:04 eRe4s3r

Only speaking for myself you imo forgot a reason. Games as a service and what it will inevitably do to the monetization structure of this game. It probably won't be a 1 purchase includes all kind of deal with Ubisoft already making newspeak for this "you have to be always online because of our super awesome world not working otherwise so it's always coop" nonsense they wrote, and what blues even quoted specifically out of that news post for the absurdity of it.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo