Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries Website has word that they have posted a Squadron 42 - Roadmap with a release schedule for the single-player Star Citizen game. This says they expect Squadron 42 to reach the beta stage by the middle of 2020, once you click though their caveats page with a length explanation of why this will probably not play out as planned (to quote, "Internal Schedules Tend To Have Aggressive Dates"). The letter goes on to explain they've taken on a minority investor who has contributed about $46 million to the project in exchange for a 10% share, and that these funds will be used to market the game. This shows how the scope of this project has expanded, as the original Star Citizen Kickstarter goal was $2 million. Here's a bit of the update:
So, it’s with this that I would like to announce that we have closed a minority investment into Cloud Imperium US & UK, from Clive’s family office and Keith’s Snoot Entertainment for $46M for approximately 10% of the shares in the Cloud Imperium US and UK companies, which is a testament to the value, future potential and longevity of the company.

As part of this process we’ve taken on two outside board members. The first is Dan Offner, an experienced lawyer and entrepreneur with over twenty years of experience in Interactive Entertainment, who is Clive and Keith’s board nominee and second is Eli Klein, a long term friend who has been acting as an advisor to the company over the past couple of years.

The control of the company and the board still firmly stays with myself as Chairman, CEO and majority shareholder.

We wouldn’t have taken anyone on board if we didn’t feel that they were fully aligned with our vision, philosophy and could add valuable insight in navigating the business challenges ahead.

This investment helps secure our independence. We may not have the resources that an Activision or EA have to launch one of their tentpole games, but we now control our own destiny in marketing Squadron 42, especially as we have a secret weapon: all of you! Between the power of the best community in gaming to help get the message out and these additional funds we will be well positioned to enable Squadron 42 to enjoy the success that it deserves.
View : : :
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020
Dec 28, 2018, 11:35
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 28, 2018, 11:35
Dec 28, 2018, 11:35

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 27, 2018, 14:24:
Exactly. The cost of marketing for Dead Space 2 was $60 million and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was $200 million. It completely stands to reason that Squadron 42 / Star Citizen would also require a substantial marketing budget. Yet of course we have the resident trolls around here claiming a massive conspiracy.

As always, anybody interested in the game is advised to wait until it is released and look at the reviews / public free plays. I question anyone who guarantees it will be a success or a failure. People are advised to keep an open mind and look at the evidence.

Yet, their own recently released financial brochure shows that they HAVE in fact been using backer money for marketing ALL THESE YEARS.

Like anyone with a brain believes that $46M is for marketing of a product that's over TWO YEARS AWAY - to Beta no less.

Chris knows his audience is largely comprised of fools.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Dec 27, 2018, 17:21
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 27, 2018, 17:21
Dec 27, 2018, 17:21

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 25, 2018, 19:18:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 03:34:
Yeah, except it isn't for marketing. That's just another Chris Roberts lie out of a billion more.

I would bet real money that they are going to use a considerable part of that money to port the game to consoles. That's the only way to substantially increase their customer base and to generate the much needed additional income to cover more years of SC development.
They have to expand their customer base big time and the only way is to tap the conslow market.

Chris is going to use the excuse that he could not foresee in 2012 how long it would take (immershun, fideliteh, the usual blahblah) and also how he could not predict how awesome the PS5 and the next Xbox was gonna be. When those are revealed he is going to praise the fuck out of them and maybe even sign some deals with MS and/or Sony. Guaranteed.
Chris Roberts has always said he would consider a console release but that the current hardware isn't up to the task. It's not something that has ever been hidden from the community and the game already has controller support.

Marketing is a major expense, especially when Chris Roberts promised all crowdfunding for the game would go towards development. This allows them to promote the game to a large audience when the game is much closer to release. If you want to see a conspiracy where there isn't one then that's entirely up to you.

Yup. More lies from you as always. I'm sure Chris is proud of little cultists like you though.

From the Star Citizen Kickstarter FAQ page...

What platforms will Star Citizen be available on?

Star Citizen is a PC game through and through and could never be played on the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 or WiiU. We currently plan to support Windows and are examining our options regarding possible Linux and Macintosh releases. The Cloud Imperium team includes many Linux and Macintosh fans!

... or here...

"Star Citizen will never be dumbed down for a lesser platform" (Chris Roberts when asked about a possible PS4 release)

^ He made it very clear in the early days of the project that the game would be PC-exclusive and he played the PCMR card to get more monies.

If you want to continue to shill for Chris and cover up his lies then that's entirely up to you.

Dec 27, 2018, 14:24
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 27, 2018, 14:24
Dec 27, 2018, 14:24

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 26, 2018, 10:58:
Yeah, except it isn't for marketing.
I would bet real money that they are going to use a considerable part of that money to port the game to consoles.
Chris Roberts has always said he would consider a console release but that the current hardware isn't up to the task. It's not something that has ever been hidden from the community and the game already has controller support.

Marketing is a major expense, especially when Chris Roberts promised all crowdfunding for the game would go towards development. This allows them to promote the game to a large audience when the game is much closer to release. If you want to see a conspiracy where there isn't one then that's entirely up to you.
Now you know what the C in cj stands for. Wink Anyone that doesn't think there will be significant marketing costs is fooling themselves.
From the looks of things the game is coming along nicely and appears to be ahead of schedule for something of it's scope. Time will tell.

Exactly. The cost of marketing for Dead Space 2 was $60 million and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was $200 million. It completely stands to reason that Squadron 42 / Star Citizen would also require a substantial marketing budget. Yet of course we have the resident trolls around here claiming a massive conspiracy.

As always, anybody interested in the game is advised to wait until it is released and look at the reviews / public free plays. I question anyone who guarantees it will be a success or a failure. People are advised to keep an open mind and look at the evidence.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Dec 26, 2018, 10:58
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 26, 2018, 10:58
Dec 26, 2018, 10:58

Yeah, except it isn't for marketing.
I would bet real money that they are going to use a considerable part of that money to port the game to consoles.

Now you know what the C in cj stands for. Wink Anyone that doesn't think there will be significant marketing costs is fooling themselves.
From the looks of things the game is coming along nicely and appears to be ahead of schedule for something of it's scope. Time will tell.

- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Dec 26, 2018, 07:44
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 26, 2018, 07:44
Dec 26, 2018, 07:44

Anyone who thinks this $46M is for "marketing", probably also believes that Star Citizen will ever be finished.

As I wrote in my latest extensive article, Star Citizen - A New Dawn, they need money.

Some backers claim that it's for marketing, and they totally believe Chris. The same guy, who has spent the past 6+ years lying about, literally everything. Yes, because it makes perfect sense to sell 10% of your company which comes with a high profile babysitter, for "marketing" of a product that's 18+ months away; even as your own financial brochures show that you have consistently burned through more money than you're raising and barely had $14M left end of 2017. Give me a break. This is precisely the sort of bs that made Chris get away with all this for so long whereby 6 yrs and $212M later, he hasn't delivered a SINGLE completed game.

Aside from the fact that their own financial brochures show that, contrary to statements & promises made, they were spending MILLIONS of backer money on marketing. But yeah, it makes perfect sense to go out and get extra money for more marketing. Chris gets away with this crap because he knows his audience. They're the same people who agreed to a ToS which stripped them of all benefits, and made it so that he never has to deliver a game - of any kind. And they agreed to it - willingly.

Also, as any investor will tell you, a valuation isn't worth the paper it's printed on if the company fails to perform. It's why a lot of Silicon Valley companies which were said to be the next unicorn, flamed out. See what happened to Theranos, the largest of those which literally collapsed overnight. CIG is burning through a lot of money. The assets of the company could quite possibly be worth $1M if everything collapses tomorrow. But the fact is that the investors know these risks, and so they take steps (in their share purchase agreements - which aren't public) to somehow protect their investments. So a $460M valuation is patently meaningless.

What's hilarious is that most backers didn't even blink that Chris didn't mention anything about Star Citizen - the game that backers and whales poured so much money into. He focused on SQ42 because he is well aware that most of those who would be remotely interested in SQ42, already own it. And so the next push is to get it done so that he has something else to sell to new gamers as new revenue source because clearly (and this is a fact) Star Citizen isn't providing sufficient funding. And if the recent space combat games are anything to go by, we already know that it's not going to make the numbers that will keep the company afloat in the long term. And now after hearing that a console version is back on the menu, it's just more evidence that Chris makes promises for lip service - and nothing else.

I mean, SQ42 was coming since 2014, then 2016. Just this past Oct CitizenCon he claimed that it was almost ready, that OCS was the final major hurdle etc. Then the roadmap shows up in Dec - and the game is 18+ months away. So back in 2016, it was a full FOUR years away - and they knew this, but kept lying about it anyway.

I know that backers who are so invested that they just attack us and other reasonable minded people, won't be able to be objective - even in the face of irrefutable evidence.

I mean, after getting $211M in free money, without a word to backers, he went out and raised $46M over SEVEN months ago. And just like the LumberYard engine switch which they were apparently working through the whole of 2016, he never said a word about it, until I broke publicly. As I wrote in my latest article, this investment search has been going on since 2017 (I wrote about it in Sept 2017, and tweeted about it in May 2018) - and Chris never said a word about it. In fact, aside from the fact that I broke this investment news FOUR days before Chris said anything, my guess is that he wouldn't have said a word if it weren't for the fact that half of the money went into CIG UK which requires it to be made public. It's why we still don't know who the other investors (e.g. Bootcha exited in 2016) in the US are, because it's a private company.

Back in 2015 I had taken legal action and asked them to 1) refund backers who requested it 2) provide a dev schedule for the project so backers know when they can realistically expect the games they paid for, and 3) provide the promised financial accounting for the project.

Then some people called me crazy, attacked me etc.

So here we are now whereby in the course of three and half years since that time 1) in Dec 2017 when money got tight, as I had previously warned, they stopped giving refunds to legacy (beyond 30 days) backers 2) the first and heavily fabricated dev schedule (the format has changed several times) didn’t show up until Nov 2016; and 3) now in Dec 2018 they have released a financial accounting which pretty much explains itself.

Funny that.

Hardcore backers FAILED to hold Chris accountable for anything. This is why there are those who, rather than rejoicing in a game that's making progress to a final release, they're celebrating fund-raising as a measure of success. And now, their own financial brochures (which they can't fudge as that would be fraud), even without a balance sheet or cash basis, shows that the amount of money raised is MEANINGLESS; and is precisely why investors can put a lot of money into a venture and still never save a dead or dying venture.

Most of us who were the original 2012 backers, wanted the project to succeed. But that dream, for the most part, is long dead. And the worst is yet to come.

This investment isn't going to make a lick of difference. The project is FUBAR, and nothing they do about SQ42, even the rumored console port of SQ42 which appears to be back on the table, is going to change that.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Dec 25, 2018, 19:18
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 25, 2018, 19:18
Dec 25, 2018, 19:18

Yeah, except it isn't for marketing. That's just another Chris Roberts lie out of a billion more.

I would bet real money that they are going to use a considerable part of that money to port the game to consoles. That's the only way to substantially increase their customer base and to generate the much needed additional income to cover more years of SC development.
They have to expand their customer base big time and the only way is to tap the conslow market.

Chris is going to use the excuse that he could not foresee in 2012 how long it would take (immershun, fideliteh, the usual blahblah) and also how he could not predict how awesome the PS5 and the next Xbox was gonna be. When those are revealed he is going to praise the fuck out of them and maybe even sign some deals with MS and/or Sony. Guaranteed.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Dec 22, 2018, 12:57
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 22, 2018, 12:57
Dec 22, 2018, 12:57

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 22, 2018, 11:54:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 12:42:
VaranDragon wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 07:34:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2018, 20:14:
Someone believes in the game to the tune of 46 big ones. Popcorn
Can't wait to see how the naysayers twist this into something bad.

Squadron42 is basically the game everyone wanted Chris Roberts to make way before he started going on about his vision of persistent universe and all that crap. It's a single player narrative driven game, and as such has focus. A start point and an endpoint. It's basically Wing Commander. IMO it's the only part of the project that has a chance of actually being made, since you can't really expand on it's scope indefinitely. So yeah, while I think Star Citizen is basically a scam to fund CR and Co. indefinitely, Squadron42 will hopefully see the light of day at some point, and this is what the silent investor is banking on. Not StarCitizen, but Squadron42 which is at this point something completely separate. (Though that 2020 release date is laughable at best)
The 2020 date is for the beta, not release.

And your point is? Most releases today are basically betas. We pay to beta test their games. It's bullshit but it is what it is. Look at any AAA game released in the past 6 months for examples. Also when has Starcitizen ever hit ANY, seriously ANY of its "promised" release "estimates"? It doesn't matter if they write "beta", "alpha" or "cream turd with a cherry on top", they won't fucking make that date. Sorry.

I just didn't want you to get your hopes up.

Sounds like we are on the same page.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:54
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 22, 2018, 11:54
Dec 22, 2018, 11:54

jdreyer wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 12:42:

Squadron42 is basically the game everyone wanted Chris Roberts to make way before he started going on about his vision of persistent universe and all that crap. It's a single player narrative driven game, and as such has focus. A start point and an endpoint. It's basically Wing Commander. IMO it's the only part of the project that has a chance of actually being made, since you can't really expand on it's scope indefinitely. So yeah, while I think Star Citizen is basically a scam to fund CR and Co. indefinitely, Squadron42 will hopefully see the light of day at some point, and this is what the silent investor is banking on. Not StarCitizen, but Squadron42 which is at this point something completely separate. (Though that 2020 release date is laughable at best)

And your point is? Most releases today are basically betas. We pay to beta test their games. It's bullshit but it is what it is. Look at any AAA game released in the past 6 months for examples. Also when has Starcitizen ever hit ANY, seriously ANY of its "promised" release "estimates"? It doesn't matter if they write "beta", "alpha" or "cream turd with a cherry on top", they won't fucking make that date. Sorry.

Dec 22, 2018, 11:35
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 22, 2018, 11:35
Dec 22, 2018, 11:35

Dec 21, 2018, 22:58
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 22:58
Dec 21, 2018, 22:58
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 03:04:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 20, 2018, 22:03:
I have no strong feelings one way or another.

Chris Roberts is a saint compared to Sean Murray, amirite?

Neither are. They're business people. One just happens to be more unethical than the other.
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Dec 21, 2018, 20:27
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 20:27
Dec 21, 2018, 20:27

Totes. Just want to see accurate numbers is all. Lies do not become us.

Dec 21, 2018, 18:50
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 18:50
Dec 21, 2018, 18:50

Korrd wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 16:51:
Jivaro wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 16:46:
I never thought I would see a game in active development for so long that it would make the Duke Nukem Forever debacle look brief.
14 years versus 8, my dude. #math
DNF probably cost 30 million, the DNF comparison in any way, shape or form is silly.
Burrito of Peace

Dec 21, 2018, 16:51
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 16:51
Dec 21, 2018, 16:51

Jivaro wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 16:46:
I never thought I would see a game in active development for so long that it would make the Duke Nukem Forever debacle look brief.
14 years versus 8, my dude. #math

Dec 21, 2018, 16:47
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 16:47
Dec 21, 2018, 16:47

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 14:24:
So not the dotards charity.
The dotard's "charity" is being dissolved anyway. But yes, to avoid anything similar. Wink

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2018, 17:49.

Dec 21, 2018, 16:46
Jivaro

Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 16:46
Dec 21, 2018, 16:46
 Jivaro

Dec 21, 2018, 14:24
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 14:24
Dec 21, 2018, 14:24

Korrd wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 13:58:
I was thinking more like $100 to the winner's charity of choice, preferably chosen from charitynavigator.org or similar with a 90+ rating.
So not the dotards charity.
Burrito of Peace

Dec 21, 2018, 13:58
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 13:58
Dec 21, 2018, 13:58

I was thinking more like $100 to the winner's charity of choice, preferably chosen from charitynavigator.org or similar with a 90+ rating.

Dec 21, 2018, 12:53
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 12:53
Dec 21, 2018, 12:53

Korrd wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 08:30:

I'll take that bet. How much?

$2 and a Star Shitizen bumper sticker sound good?

Dec 21, 2018, 12:42
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 12:42
Dec 21, 2018, 12:42

I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Dec 21, 2018, 09:43
Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 21, 2018, 09:43
Dec 21, 2018, 09:43

This game has been in development for HOW many years and it's just going beta in 2 MORE years???? WTTTTFFFFF.

Yeah, I'll pick this up when it hits the bargain bin for $10-15 bucks and laugh my a$$ off at all those that dropped hundreds into it.
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older