Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Subnautica Free on Epic Store

You can now get a copy of Subnautica for free from the Epic Games Store, as was promised when this new online marketplace launched last week. This will be free to keep for anyone who claims their copy between now and when the offer expires on Christmas. The description they offer for Unknown Worlds' underwater action game is concise:

Descend into the depths of an alien underwater world filled with wonder and peril. Craft equipment, pilot submarines and out-smart wildlife to explore lush coral reefs, volcanoes, cave systems, and more - all while trying to survive.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 18, 2018, 15:47 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 22:11:
El Pit wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 09:07:
We need more stores and launchers with exclusive titles, because this is... uhm... great because... uhm... well... competition?

Once our OS takes 5 minutes to start again even from an m2.ssd because of all the launchers in the background starting and updating, we will all come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe this is NOT great for gamers.

Why would you have all your launchers starting and updating in the background? The only one that auto-starts for me is Steam. Everything else is on an as-needed basis.
Wait, are you saying that I don't have to start the client unless I want to play the game??

*mind blown*

/S

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 22:11 Creston

We need more stores and launchers with exclusive titles, because this is... uhm... great because... uhm... well... competition?

Once our OS takes 5 minutes to start again even from an m2.ssd because of all the launchers in the background starting and updating, we will all come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe this is NOT great for gamers.

Why would you have all your launchers starting and updating in the background? The only one that auto-starts for me is Steam. Everything else is on an as-needed basis.

20. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 19:10 Wallshadows

I only use launchers when I feel like actually playing a game found on a particular launcher. Turns out most of the time I only ever have one or two launchers open max which rotates between Battle.net, Steam and I guess this one now since I've always wanted to try Subnautica but it always fell off my radar.  

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2018, 18:23 Beamer

El Pit wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 17:24:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 14:49:
Why would people want all this shit AT ALL?

There. Corrected it for you. Why would people want a dozen or more different game launchers (one per company or even game) at all? Games are becoming worse than movies with Netflix, Amazon Video, Apple, Hulu, and and and.

If something gets inconvenient, people will rather not use it. And this is happening right now with all those different "YOU MUST USE IT!" game/store launchers. Good luck with it! And I thought Uplay, Origin, and Steam were already too many... Nope, we need MOAH! Different stores - alright, no problem. But each with its own data mining software that you HAVE TO install - NO THANKS. I bought hundreds of games on Steam, Uplay, and Origin, but if this bullshit gets any worse... I might do something illegal just to get rid of it. Unless the game I want is sold on GOG, of course. GOG does not force some spyware down your throats.

It's nothing like Netflix, Hulu, etc. Those require monthly subscriptions. These are still just buying a product. And odd to me that you single out GOG, which absolutely tries to force you to install always-on software. Yes, you can choose not to, but you can choose not to have any of this start on startup. GOG Galaxy always starts for me, even when I tell it not to - I find it to be among the more annoying of the store services, but it still isn't really bad.

Competition is a nice thing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2018, 18:04 RedEye9

El Pit wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 17:24:
I might do something illegal just to get rid of it.
So the only other option is stealing, or pirating. sad
Suffer from entitlement much?

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2018, 17:24 El Pit

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 14:49:
Why would people want all this shit AT ALL?

There. Corrected it for you. Why would people want a dozen or more different game launchers (one per company or even game) at all? Games are becoming worse than movies with Netflix, Amazon Video, Apple, Hulu, and and and.

If something gets inconvenient, people will rather not use it. And this is happening right now with all those different "YOU MUST USE IT!" game/store launchers. Good luck with it! And I thought Uplay, Origin, and Steam were already too many... Nope, we need MOAH! Different stores - alright, no problem. But each with its own data mining software that you HAVE TO install - NO THANKS. I bought hundreds of games on Steam, Uplay, and Origin, but if this bullshit gets any worse... I might do something illegal just to get rid of it. Unless the game I want is sold on GOG, of course. GOG does not force some spyware down your throats.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 15, 2018, 14:49 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 09:44:
You must be doing something wrong, none of my game clients startup when I turn on my systems.

Some people cant be bothered to unclick anything during installers or maintain their computer in any manual sense. My mother and grandmother come to mind. Always cleaning up their computers when i visit. "It never ran so fast!"

Why would people want all this shit to run at startup anyways with ssd's being so cheap? loading important data on the fly isnt as slow a process as it used to be on mechanical hdd's, where having a service or startup hook could help the overall load time and responsiveness for commonly used programs. Now we have sata 3 ssd's fully saturating their available bandwidth and programs launching faster than ever, which largely negates the need for any of this shit unless its something you know you will likely be using the moment you turn on your PC every single time.

Some people just can't shake the old paradigms.. and don't even get me started on the "common knowledge" that is passed around the internet like scripture regarding PC maintenance. I don't even engage in the back and forth arguments regarding that stuff anymore, just drop relevant information when applicable, read to see if there is anything that I missed or is new, and continue on my way.

15. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 11:27 J

christheshitter wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 03:57:
Since one Blue commenter posted about him gotten his user account leaked by Epic Games because of a breach and their support were pretty non existent to plain ignoring him to i would think twice getting an account there.

No thank you!
Non-existent support? Sounds familiar from somewhere...

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

14. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 11:05 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 10:58:
Sacrifex wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 09:54:
While I'm not thrilled about the Epic store for reasons related to being basically majority owned by a Chinese company ...
People keep saying this. It isn't true. They are not majority owned.
Orange misinformation is the new black.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

13. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 10:58 Beamer

Sacrifex wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 09:54:
nutes to start again even from an m2.ssd because of all the launchers in the background starting and updating, we will all come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe this is NOT great for gamers.

While I'm not thrilled about the Epic store for reasons related to being basically majority owned by a Chinese company
People keep saying this. It isn't true. They are not majority owned.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 09:54 Sacrifex

While I'm not thrilled about the Epic store for reasons related to being basically majority owned by a Chinese company with a long history of cancerous dealings with gaming, startup times of Windows is not a legitimate complaint.

The user controls all aspects of what is allowed to load at startup, and if they can't or won't manage that, slow startup times are on them. I have the Blizzard launcher, Steam, the Epic Launcher (from UT), Origin, uPlay, GOG Galaxy, and Twitch (for prime free games). Every single one of them removed from startup, zero impact on boot times.

11. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 09:44 RedEye9

You must be doing something wrong, none of my game clients startup when I turn on my systems.

10. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 09:22 rawbelly

Watch BlueDrake's video on YT. It's a brilliant move by Epic. It's also not going away. Get used to this one

Also, Subnautica is amazing.

9. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 09:07 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

8. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 05:43 Numinar

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 15, 2018, 02:47:
Is it worth ANOTHER FUCKING launcher though? Christ. I almost caved to this but then I was like, "fuck you, Epic." when I saw I had to download some installer for a fucking launcher I'd only ever use for one game. No fucking thank you, bye.

I mean, yeah? or pay the money and get it on Steam. It's an amazing game, one of the best I've ever played.

7. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 05:28 Moog

Fuck the Epic store!

I'll treat this as a free demo and then pick it up in the next Steam sale if I like it!

6. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 03:57 christheshitter

Since one Blue commenter posted about him gotten his user account leaked by Epic Games because of a breach and their support were pretty non existent to plain ignoring him to i would think twice getting an account there.

No thank you!

5. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 15, 2018, 02:47 ForgedReality

Is it worth ANOTHER FUCKING launcher though? Christ. I almost caved to this but then I was like, "fuck you, Epic." when I saw I had to download some installer for a fucking launcher I'd only ever use for one game. No fucking thank you, bye.  

4. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 14, 2018, 21:51 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 19:50:
bigspender wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 18:54:
The Epic store selling a Unity engine game?

Valve store selling a non-Source engine game?

Also if anyone doesn't have this, get it, it's great.

And get a VR headset to play it on. $150 on Amazon.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

3. Re: Subnautica Free on Epic Store Dec 14, 2018, 19:50 NKD

bigspender wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 18:54:
The Epic store selling a Unity engine game?

Valve store selling a non-Source engine game?

Also if anyone doesn't have this, get it, it's great.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo